AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2008-08-26, 13:38   Link #61
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

heh? i thought haki meant killing aura ( literally translated) .
kingsky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 14:43   Link #62
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsky123 View Post
heh? i thought haki meant killing aura ( literally translated) .
That's Sakki, here's the kanji for both terms:

覇気
(はき) (haki): Aura of fear/dominance. The word '覇', means dominance, ruling over others, supremacy.

殺気
(さっき) (sakki): Killing aura. The word '殺', means kill.

Zoro's Asura turning Rankyaku into mist may also be the effect of him grasping the 'breath' of the air blades and he slices through them.

The concept of breath, '呼吸' ( こきゅう) (kokyuu), which literally does mean breath or breathing, is closely related to ki '気' (き). Ki means mood, spirit and can also be air.

The involuntary action of breathing is a frequency that happens within you, you can say its the frequency of your life, your spirit. In eastern belief, Ki exists in all things, but it doesn't mean that everything breathes in air. But rather everything has a frequency in them, a frequency of their spirit. In One Piece they call this frequency the breath of all things.

You can transfer Ki from one body to another, from one object to another. In this form, Ki becomes energy, it is also the energy that exists in all things. The spirit of all things is their inherent energy. When you fan the air, you transfer energy from your hand to the fan and into the wind, making a breeze. When you fan really hard, you'll need to breathe harder.

If you can control your breath, you can control your energy and release them as powers under your control. In One Piece its just that these characters as so powerful, they can do amazing stuff with their Ki, the energy they have in them. Like kicking air into a Rankyaku.

As all things have a frequency in them, it means they have a resonant frequency. If you can adjust your frequency to their frequencies, you become a counter to them and you can cause it to act in your will. All things have different frequencies, so you can't use the frequency of slicing a piece of leaf to slice rock, the same other way round. Something that Zoro was supposed to understand and demonstrate.

And also like I mentioned above, Ki is also mood. When you're angry you breathe harder, when you're happy you breathe faster, when you're sad you have weak breaths. So a powerful fighter must be able to control his mood, his ki, so that he can control his power. Can you imagine for yourself what kind of ki, breathing you have when you're expressing Haki and Sakki?
----------

lol I just love explaining seemingly 'magical' or 'unreal' stuff and making sense of them and literally sound correct. I just hope that you guys understand what I'm trying to say lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/

Last edited by C.A.; 2008-08-26 at 17:12.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 16:20   Link #63
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I am beginning to think that "Haki" may even be the pivotal factor as to how to defeat Doflamingo in a fight. I have tried to conjure up a possible weakness for this villain but he seems to be practically invincible in a one on one fight considering that he can just stay back and control his opponent rendering them absolutely helpless and at his mercy. Since "Haki" can be described as the expulsion of one's strong will or ambition, it can attack from quite a distance as we have seen and this would be a good way to contend with Doflamingo in long-range fights.
I'm not sure or anything, but do you really think that Doflamingo can defeat a Logia? I mean, try to imagine him controlling Enel when he turns into lightning...

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
holypanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 16:52   Link #64
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
I'm not sure or anything, but do you really think that Doflamingo can defeat a Logia? I mean, try to imagine him controlling Enel when he turns into lightning...
I think it is very possible that Doflamingo can defeat a logia user. If he's not able to even stand a chance against logia users then there is really nothing great about him. The thing is, we still don't know exactly how he controls people and what the limitations of his power are. Can he control logia users even in their elemental forms? We simply do not know at this moment. Hopefully we will get a good insight on how his power works in the war with Whitebeard.

Furthermore, I think there is a good reason why Oda has made his bounty (former that is) the highest to date. He is probably going to be an extremely tough opponent to defeat. Ever since he first appeared, I got this vibe from him that he is going to be a major threat later on in the story. This "new era" that he keeps on talking about has also been getting a lot of build up, which all the more asserts on how he will be a big player in the story yet to come. It is true that Enel was a very formidable adversary, but there are people on the blue seas who would be able to put him in his place and I think that Doflamingo is one of those people.
Old 2008-08-27, 17:08   Link #65
marvelB

Yeah, I'm definitely certain myself that Doflamingo will be a huge threat to Luffy and co. in the future. I remember there were people speculating that he may have a blood-manipulating DF power, which would explain why he can control people like puppets. If that's the case, then he definitely has an edge over Logia opponents....

And on a somewhat related note, it's funny how Bellamy was considered to be something like a "super rookie" during Jaya, yet after being introduced to the Supernova rookies in the current storyline, he looks like an absolute joke in comparison to those guys (especially considering that one of them KO'ed him in one blow ).
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 11:33   Link #66
sanzo
33million Humming Brook

oooooh the paper thing with zoro finally makes sense. thanks ca
sanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 17:57   Link #67
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Y'know, Come to think of it, the whole Haki effect is probably the one distinguishing factor between the Elites and the rest...

Why ELSE would there be such a pointed distinguishment between Whitebeard/Shanks/+Other Yonkou/+Gol D. Roger etc and the Shichibukai/Admirals/etc?

I mean...why should ALL the shichinukai be so afraid to come around Whiteboy? It's just...ridiculous!

And again I say: I think Sengoku can use Haki;

1)Whiteboy specifies him as being one of the people who "Knew the Sea back the Days of roger"

2)Sengoku is presumably at a level higher than the Admirals...I honestly can't see how much higher you can go after something like Light Light Fruit...

Anyway: this speculation is really getting me edgy...(wink)

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
holypanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 02:08   Link #68
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
Y'know, Come to think of it, the whole Haki effect is probably the one distinguishing factor between the Elites and the rest...

Why ELSE would there be such a pointed distinguishment between Whitebeard/Shanks/+Other Yonkou/+Gol D. Roger etc and the Shichibukai/Admirals/etc?

I mean...why should ALL the shichinukai be so afraid to come around Whiteboy? It's just...ridiculous!

And again I say: I think Sengoku can use Haki;

1)Whiteboy specifies him as being one of the people who "Knew the Sea back the Days of roger"

2)Sengoku is presumably at a level higher than the Admirals...I honestly can't see how much higher you can go after something like Light Light Fruit...

Anyway: this speculation is really getting me edgy...(wink)
My point as usual is that it need not be haki. It can be the breath thingy from zoro, some new technique that can hit logia or even just availability of seastone
Hisoka?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 02:31   Link #69
BestKeptSecret

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yeah, I'm definitely certain myself that Doflamingo will be a huge threat to Luffy and co. in the future. I remember there were people speculating that he may have a blood-manipulating DF power, which would explain why he can control people like puppets. If that's the case, then he definitely has an edge over Logia opponents....

And on a somewhat related note, it's funny how Bellamy was considered to be something like a "super rookie" during Jaya, yet after being introduced to the Supernova rookies in the current storyline, he looks like an absolute joke in comparison to those guys (especially considering that one of them KO'ed him in one blow ).
I think the only reason why Oda mentioned Bellamy as the "Super Rookie" is to demonstrate how incredibly much stronger Ruffy is compared to Bellamy

thats why he got the 100 million bounty afterwards...

In fact 55 Million is a pretty good bounty for grand line circumstances..
The New World matched against Grand Line is a completely different league
BestKeptSecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 21:26   Link #70
ellifeedn
Thinker

@C.A.: I think that what you wrote is very descriptive and I appreciate it. One thing though. I saw "sakai" on another website and was wondering if it is an actual word or a misspelling of "sakki".
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 21:31   Link #71
james0246

Well, 境 (sakai) means a "border" or "mental state", whereas 殺気 (sakki) means "thirst for blood" (killing aura). So, there is a distinct difference.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 05:34   Link #72
sjaako

Quote:
bellamy and his crew called himself a rookie, not the world. bellamy was a rookie with a bit more strengh compared to a 'normal' rookie
sjaako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 02:57   Link #73
drummania

nanomachines
drummania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 16:21   Link #74
Captain Roronoa Zoro

poor bellamy
Captain Roronoa Zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 09:22   Link #75
ellifeedn
Thinker

I don't know where in this thread, but I recall someone saying that sakki is a form of haki. What other forms are there?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 23:27   Link #76
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Officially Haki has...
Released an Aura to knock opponents out.
Can be infused with weapons to increase destructive power
Phenomenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-29, 19:51   Link #77
RonaldC

How do you guys know that what Shanks, Silvers, etc used was Haki?

Did they ever mention the word, Haki?

Shanks and Silvers's technique seems to involve staring the opponent down, while the Amazon's technique involves imbuing energy into a weapon.

How do you know that these two techniques are one and the same?
RonaldC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-29, 21:57   Link #78
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldC View Post
How do you guys know that what Shanks, Silvers, etc used was Haki?

Did they ever mention the word, Haki?

Shanks and Silvers's technique seems to involve staring the opponent down, while the Amazon's technique involves imbuing energy into a weapon.

How do you know that these two techniques are one and the same?

They're the same. When Shanks used Haki on Whitebeard's ship, both Marco and Jozu confirm it, as well as Whitebeard himself. When Rayleigh used it, the giant slave from the auction and Hachi confirms it. Lastly, Margaret clearly tells Luffy in the current chapter that Haki is infused into the amazon's arrows.

And not to mention that the same kanji (覇気) is used whenever the term is brought up....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 09:26   Link #79
RonaldC

Quote:
They're the same. When Shanks used Haki on Whitebeard's ship, both Marco and Jozu confirm it, as well as Whitebeard himself. When Rayleigh used it, the giant slave from the auction and Hachi confirms it. Lastly, Margaret clearly tells Luffy in the current chapter that Haki is infused into the amazon's arrows.

And not to mention that the same kanji (覇気) is used whenever the term is brought up....
I've never seen the term "Haki" mentioned in earlier chapters. Is this a translation error? Is that why "Haki" was never mentioned in previous chapters? If anyone can actually show me a panel where "Haki" is mentioned before 516, I'd be really really grateful!
RonaldC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 11:57   Link #80
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldC View Post
I've never seen the term "Haki" mentioned in earlier chapters. Is this a translation error? Is that why "Haki" was never mentioned in previous chapters? If anyone can actually show me a panel where "Haki" is mentioned before 516, I'd be really really grateful!
It's a Translation error. Specifically, during the encounter between Shanks and Whitebeard, the translator actually translated the word haki to "vigor and drive", and implied spiritual pressure. That being said, haki was first seen in Chapter 1 against the Sea King (also used by Shanks).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote