AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-05-20, 06:00   Link #581
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciany View Post
I really loved it how all the transport came and left on time.. It's amazing...
Lol. Because that rarely ever happens here.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 06:02   Link #582
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Hmm im not too sure, haven't decided on that just yet...

Because I have some friends over at Osaka... ><;;

I want to go to Tokyo though... So many places I want to visit in Tokyo...

I want to go to Osaka/ Kyoto because there are many historical places?
Kyoto's quite nice - I hear they've got a manga museum... I haven't gone there, though, even though I went to Kyoto. There's a ton of temples and shrines, if you're into that sort of stuff...
Old 2009-05-20, 06:03   Link #583
Luciany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Lol. Because that rarely ever happens here.
Sigh.. Here.. It's not that on time.. It's either too early or a little bit late... RAWR! LolxD
Luciany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 06:05   Link #584
Luciany

In Kyoto I heard there is a temple that makes sounds when you step on the floor..
Really feel like visiting that..><; O~ Manga Museum! Sounds interesting....

I think I'll have to sit down and decide where to go.. One of the places I must go is Akihabara.. Never had the chance to visit there when I was with my family...
Old 2009-05-20, 06:38   Link #585
Haladflire65
*Artist

There's a lot of places in Tokyo you should check out, too! If you're not staying for a while it'll be a challenge, choosing places to go. There's just so many nice places in Tokyo alone.
Old 2009-05-20, 06:41   Link #586
Luciany

I want to go to Ghibili Museum.. Wheres that? Is that around Tokyo?

I also want to go to Ebisu~ ^^ ( saw it on Hana yori dango... Jap drama..)

Ahhhh so many places!!! I'm not sure about the time either...><;

When I go, I'm gonna eat so many Japanese foods... I <3 Jap food!
Old 2009-05-20, 16:52   Link #587
lixuelai

Lol the "temple that makes sounds" is probably Nijo castle. "Nightingale floors". Supposedly makes it easier to spot assassins. Though when I went there I thought it was just a excuse for some defective hardwood floor

The Ghibli Museum is in Mitaka which is a suburb of Tokyo (aka not Tokyo). I remember it was a LONG walk to get there from the train station. You have to buy tickets ahead of time as well. I felt it was a little overrated though. If I was 10 years younger I might have liked it more.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 20:12   Link #588
Luciany

Ah yes! Nightingale floors.. Read it in a book... ><; That's why I want to go have a visit...

Mitaka.. Haven't heard about that place before..-.-;
Ah.. Ahead of time... I'll have to search on the internet about that..
HAHA! I would like to have a visit because I really liked all the Ghibili anime
Old 2009-05-20, 20:24   Link #589
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Kyoto's quite nice - I hear they've got a manga museum... I haven't gone there, though, even though I went to Kyoto. There's a ton of temples and shrines, if you're into that sort of stuff...
Kyoto University Manga Museum - I checked it out. It was fun - not a huge deal, but a worthy two hours for a hardcore fan. Very understated and heartfelt.

The original and biggest Mandarake is in Osaka, if I'm not mistaken.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 20:26   Link #590
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
In Kyoto I heard there is a temple that makes sounds when you step on the floor..
Really feel like visiting that..><; O~ Manga Museum! Sounds interesting....

I think I'll have to sit down and decide where to go.. One of the places I must go is Akihabara.. Never had the chance to visit there when I was with my family...
Yep, that's the Nightingale floor at Nijo Castle, Nijomiya Palace I believe. I was so impressed with the idea I stole it for the Moribito fic I'm writing.
Old 2009-05-20, 20:33   Link #591
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yep, that's the Nightingale floor at Nijo Castle, Nijomiya Palace I believe. I was so impressed with the idea I stole it for the Moribito fic I'm writing.
It may sound like an interesting idea but if your home floor sounded like that I assure you, you'll probably be heading to the nearest DIY store in an instant.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 22:25   Link #592
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic View Post
And it normally hits them like a lorry full of bricks.
Haha, don't crush anybody's dreams. Those realities are best left to those who plan on living in Japan.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 22:26   Link #593
Luciany

Haha~ How does it sound like? Like, what kind of sounds does it make?
Old 2009-05-20, 23:16   Link #594
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Haha~ How does it sound like? Like, what kind of sounds does it make?
Well, I don't know if it's Nightingales but it most certainly does sound like the chirping of birds. It's quite odd to take a step and hear such a thing, I assure you, and I certainly wouldn't want such a thing in my house. But as a concept - it's sugoi.
Old 2009-05-21, 11:57   Link #595
lixuelai

It sounds like loose hardwood floor...which is what it is. Much more high pitched though probably due to the kind of wood and nails they used. Not as annoying as your typical creaky floor though but I agree it is not something I want in my house, especially when I often snoop around for food at night

I remember asking for directions for the Mandarake in Osaka. The storefront is pretty small and it is in the basement. Lots of amazing things there though, lots of cels.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 15:39   Link #596
Luciany

Ah~ Lots of places to visit.. Not enough time ><
Old 2009-05-26, 08:40   Link #597
martino
makes no files now

I hope this is a good place to ask this...

Anyway, I'll be going travelling for three weeks and one of my concerns are appliances. My laptop's adapter handles 50-60Hz/100-240V so I should be fine there as far as my understanding goes (UK person here, so 50Hz/230V), other than having to buy a plug adapter (something like this would work, right?). My music player and phone can be charged off USB, so from my laptop.

However I'm wondering about a shaver. Do they have the same plugs in bathrooms as everywhere else (if any at all, some countries don't put power sockets into bathrooms)? Meaning two or three pins... also which one of these is the more common one? I seem to have trouble finding this out.

Thanks.
Old 2009-05-27, 02:39   Link #598
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post

Anyway, I'll be going travelling for three weeks and one of my concerns are appliances. My laptop's adapter handles 50-60Hz/100-240V so I should be fine there as far as my understanding goes (UK person here, so 50Hz/230V), other than having to buy a plug adapter (something like this would work, right?). My music player and phone can be charged off USB, so from my laptop.

However I'm wondering about a shaver. Do they have the same plugs in bathrooms as everywhere else (if any at all, some countries don't put power sockets into bathrooms)? Meaning two or three pins... also which one of these is the more common one? I seem to have trouble finding this out.

Thanks.
Basically the same as the US (apart from voltage, here in Tokyo it is 50Hz/100V in Nagoya and beyond it's 60Hz/100V. The dividing border is in Shizuoka.)
thin two blade plugs.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 07:06   Link #599
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post

Thanks.
Dude, our country's so great that the UK plugs work nowhere else but... the UK. xD
You need an adaptor for the pins. Pick up at airport or boots or somewhere.
Voltage wise, don't be so quick to bring home any Japanese 100v stuff back home without a transformer.
As I learnt happily, 240v will blow up the plug of the JP device and present you with smoke and sparks. xD
Anything you have at home you can plug into Japan with a normal adaptor, the voltage is half, so for things like a hand dryer (as i saw), the power was weak.
But for razors etc, it should be fine ^^

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 08:45   Link #600
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Dude, our country's so great that the UK plugs work nowhere else but... the UK. xD
You need an adaptor for the pins. Pick up at airport or boots or somewhere.
Voltage wise, don't be so quick to bring home any Japanese 100v stuff back home without a transformer.
As I learnt happily, 240v will blow up the plug of the JP device and present you with smoke and sparks. xD
Anything you have at home you can plug into Japan with a normal adaptor, the voltage is half, so for things like a hand dryer (as i saw), the power was weak.
But for razors etc, it should be fine ^^
Haha yeah. UK rocks! </sarcasm>

Yeah. I checked my shaver and it says the same as my laptop's adapter, so just a plug converter should do. Yup, no worries. I have an Eizo monitor that I need to use a transformer for, not like I do, it's back-up only but I get what you're saying. Don't think I'd be planning on bringing electronics over from Japan...

Thanks for the help, Tri-ring too.

Tags
japan, travel