Old 2012-11-11, 10:27   Link #641
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Speculation time.

The obvious trio and Nitta passes.
Mizoguchi fails.
Everyone else fails.

If the story's moving onwards to another story arc in the future with the passing candidates undergoing their astronaut training, I think that having 4-5 characters would be the maximum ideal composition, given that unlike the confinement arc, astronaut training will presumably have a larger scale interaction with a lot of different characters.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.

Last edited by Nightengale; 2012-11-11 at 10:37.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 10:48   Link #642
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
You could see where they were going with Azuma part way through, but was definitely handled well. Better for someone like Hibito to be the first Japanese walking on the moon. Pressure and attention just rolls off that guy . For Azuma he just wasn't that comfortable with it. Not the type of person who thrives with that media pressure and especially didn't want it pointed at his family. While it wasn't Azuma's idea, at least Mutta kind of figured things out there.

And for laughs the trials of Jennifer trying to explain things continues .
Old 2012-11-11, 10:48   Link #643
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
I wonder about the location itself--why put Mutta amid the abandoned ruins of an earlier generation of space flight?
The NASA relics seemed put in there more as a reminder for the viewer than for Mutta. The Shuttle mockup in particular, just left out in the Florida weather...

Ares itself changed into the Space Launch System between the production of this series and this date.

It's funny watching everyone else react to Mutta's attempts to talk to Azuma. I was going to wonder "Has no one else tried to talk to this man?", but Azuma seemed rather stolid even before. Perhaps much of his personal interaction ended up being with Brian Jay, who isn't in a position now to share any stories...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
And for laughs the trials of Jennifer trying to explain things continues .
It looks like Mutta hasn't outgrown his (and Hibito's) ability to learn, and then thoroughly confound, any sort of scripted tour presentation.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 12:36   Link #644
ookamigirl

Celebrating Hibito's successful launch.
Everyone sure was in a good mood.
So the final results will be announced soon.
Seeing Hibito's little broadcast from the module was nice.
Mutta hanging out with Azuma and his family was kinda unusual.
At least it helped us to understand Azuma's way of thinking better.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 19:37   Link #645
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Fascinating episode - we find out that Azuma is a private, quiet man without a lot of "zip" as a public figure. On the other hand we have Hibito aboard the spacecraft giving a guided tour to the people of Japan and virtually being a television presenter. Photogenic, social, comfortable. Azuma is just one of those quiet people who is the polar opposite - good at what he does but private, quiet, uncomfortable with fame.

What a great show though, this thing just keeps on going and we see unexpected sides - the reluctant astronaut - not because he's uncomfortable being in space - he doesn't like the public pressure.
Old 2012-11-12, 00:32   Link #646
Nerroth
NePoi!

To clarify, is the landing happening on the 15th of March; or the final selection?

(If the latter, it would be ironic to have it take place upon the ides of March...)
Old 2012-11-12, 00:55   Link #647
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Will Mizoguchi pass?
This is the biggest concern AnimeSuki posters have.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 10:46   Link #648
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Hell yeah. We know Mutta, Serika and Kenji are going to pass, the other three haven't gotten enough screentime for the audience to care about their fate, so all that's left is Mizoguchi. I still say he won't pass
Old 2012-11-12, 11:25   Link #649
Kirarakim

Quote:
Of course, I am sure they are getting a lot of letters.

They will be confused and think he's a popular character & increase his role.

Honestly the candidates have done nothing this arc (not counting Mutta of course) so I hope we see more of them in general before they make the announcement.

And actually I am most concerned about Nitta. I already figure Kenji & Serika will pass but I like him too & hope he will make it.
Old 2012-11-12, 17:51   Link #650
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

It's pretty obvious Mutta, Kenji and Serika will make out fine and pass. Though, since we saw him in Mutta's group during the training, I'm betting Nitta probaly passes too.
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 08:07   Link #651
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

We haven't found out much about Nitta so far, so I bet he'll pass. We got to learn about other characters from that group when they lost out, so I think we're due seeing someone other than a main character pass and get further development that way.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 08:21   Link #652
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I forgot about Nitta... I think he'll pass too. Not much point in having him win the rock-paper-scissor match over Mutta only for him to fail later.
Old 2012-11-18, 07:48   Link #653
ookamigirl

The moon landing.
Hibito did a really nice job with that.
His dreams finally came true.
Everyone was celebrating. Mutta was really proud.
Now it's time for Mutta to achieve his dream.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 08:27   Link #654
Kirarakim

Kind of wonder why Hibito didn't introduce the female astronaut when he was introducing his team members. At least I don't recall her being introduced.

Anyways good episode. You got to love Hibito's passionate care free attitude. I am more like Mutta though a self doubter.

Mutta & Hibito's parents always steal the show for me. They are hilarious.
Old 2012-11-18, 11:24   Link #655
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Hibito's first steps on the moon were brilliant. Completely in character for him. Yay!

Still no exam results... how long are they going to leave us hanging? I want to knooow!
Old 2012-11-18, 11:56   Link #656
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Kind of wonder why Hibito didn't introduce the female astronaut when he was introducing his team members. At least I don't recall her being introduced.
IIRC when Hibito was doing the talk for TV, he said that the female crew was on their sleep rotation. I suppose the series's production team didn't want to add more speaking characters, since the women on that crew have had less than five lines of dialogue in total so far?

It's interesting for me to consider how the show portrays Japan's national joy at Hibito's moon landing versus my expectation of Japanese emotional restraint. The show has shown, for comedic effect, mass reactions like the giant groan at The Agony of Doha. Here, it looks like the pride of having a Japanese person standing on the moon is overcoming any shock at Hibito's display of unadulterated happiness. (I suppose it helps that he was just really, really happy instead of spewing profanities or mooning the Earth.) The potential other side of that has already been shown to us, with Azuma's amazing outer calm confounding Japanese reporters in the past. His little smile this episode was gold.

That's my I-am-not-Japanese reaction to the episode's Japanese reaction, though. Anyone else's cultural insights or corrections to my viewpoint would be appreciated.

The moment was fun for audience wish-fulfillment too. Accomplishing a national first and being able to not worry about the pressure of having everyone watching you and recording your every breath? Awesome.

Then there's Mutta's reaction, which seems to have encapsulated the shocked reaction that I anticipated with a bit of personal embarrassment and probably some envy.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 12:10   Link #657
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well, that's Hibito for you. Just had to go ahead and say something like that .

Though I really hope they can just confirm the last test results. That's been hanging in the air for a long time now.
Old 2012-11-18, 21:37   Link #658
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for Long:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 02:55   Link #659
cyth
Banned

That was so beautifully written, Guardian_Enzo. (I would give you +rep if I could!) I was wondering, did you use the spoiler tag to be more in line with Mutta's dad's personality?
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 03:28   Link #660
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
That was so beautifully written, Guardian_Enzo. (I would give you +rep if I could!) I was wondering, did you use the spoiler tag to be more in line with Mutta's dad's personality?
No, just because it was a long post.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen