AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-01-16, 20:58   Link #1
jubileebud

MPEG-4 file Problem

Okay...I read the Playback guide and did everything it said, but it say at the top it was for a H 64 file or something like that. I'm a newbie and I can't get the file to play no matter what I do, with Windows Media Player or RealPlayer. Anyone can help? I REALLY want to watch Sugar Sugar Rune! hehe!
Old 2006-01-16, 21:00   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

What have you installed so far, and what is currently installed on your system?

I also don't know how well RealPlayer supports regular video. Windows Media Player isn't recommended for use as a player, either, but I know that it can handle h.264.
Old 2006-01-16, 21:05   Link #3
jubileebud

Um..I have ffdshow and Haali Media splitter.
Old 2006-01-16, 21:20   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Your FFDShow version most likely doesn't support H.264. You can hunt around for a newer one that does, if you like. Otherwise, the simplest solution is this: uninstall your current FFDShow, as well as Haali's splitter. Download CCCP and install it. That should fix your problems.

Alternatively, you can also download and install VLC, which will free you from codecs/FFDShow. All you'd need to worry about would be updating VLC for media support. VLC is a media player that is self-sufficient; installing this alone and playing videos in VLC would let you watch the videos, but it wouldn't give you playback support in WMP. Note that installing CCCP or any FFDShow version has no impact on an install of VLC.

Whicever you'd prefer is up to you; both should let you play the files you want.
Old 2006-01-16, 23:16   Link #5
jubileebud

Thanks for the help! It was GREATLY appreciated!
Old 2006-01-17, 01:56   Link #6
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Don't download CCCP

I am definately against ANY and ALL kinds of Codec Packs

Just download the latest FFDShow codec here http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=53761

and when installing, select the proper options.

and install the latest Matroska pack for .mkv support from here http://www.matroska.org/

And that should be all you will ever need, altho I do like to install XVid stand alone because I update that more often than I do FFDShow.
Old 2006-01-17, 06:45   Link #7
jubileebud

What do I do next, after I download all of that? I mean, how do I get the video to play? Thanks everyone!
Old 2006-01-17, 08:28   Link #8
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri

Just download the latest FFDShow codec here http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=53761
Not only are you against codec packs, but you also link to ancient ffdshow builds that won't play H.264 at all. At least link some recent builds like Milan's, Celtic Druid's or bob0r's instead of recommending "solutions" that won't work. (I know, I repeat myself here. )

jubileebud: Just install the CCCP (uninstall your other codecs before you do), as Ledgem recommended. It should work.
Old 2006-01-17, 08:34   Link #9
Nicholi
King of Hosers

What are you attemping to install now? If you want detailed instructions from Komataguri I suggest you get him/her to make a guide.

Otherwise you just install the CCCP after uninstalling any codec packs/filter packs you have previously installed. It is pre-configured and ready to go after clicking next alot.
Old 2006-01-17, 09:41   Link #10
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
Don't download CCCP

and when installing, select the proper options.

and install the latest Matroska pack for .mkv support from here http://www.matroska.org/

And that should be all you will ever need, altho I do like to install XVid stand alone because I update that more often than I do FFDShow.
CCCP is not a codec pack, the only thing it installs related to codecs is FFDShow, which for anyone wanting to say, "hey! FFDshow has a lot of codecs, therefore is a codec pack!", they are wrong. It is a codec library. It installs VSfilter, which is a small DLL that allows you to display softsubs. It also installs Haali's Media splitters, which allow you to play MP4, MKV, OGM (a non evil, working splitter, mind you) and an additional AVI splitter, these components are also optional. Then you get a choice of 2 players, MPC from Gabest, or Zoomplayer (these are optional too).

When people say codec pack to me, I automatically think a zip file of loads of obscure codecs, in the form of .ax, .dll etc, not to mention a load of registry entries and no 100% safe way of removal.

I can vouch for CCCP since it installs exactly what I would have told anyone to install should they want to play XviD, DivX, H.264, MP3, Vorbis, AAC whatver, or if they have MP4, OGM or MKV files. It's as simple as that.

Also, you should check out the XviD decoding in FFDShow, it's much, much faster.

This isn't meant as a rant of flame of sorts, just clearing some things up.

Nice avatar by the way, tits rule
Old 2006-01-17, 17:31   Link #11
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Not only are you against codec packs, but you also link to ancient ffdshow builds that won't play H.264 at all. At least link some recent builds like Milan's, Celtic Druid's or bob0r's instead of recommending "solutions" that won't work. (I know, I repeat myself here. )

jubileebud: Just install the CCCP (uninstall your other codecs before you do), as Ledgem recommended. It should work.
It was 2am when I posted, and I was on 36 hours of sleep, so I picked teh wrong link out of my list.

Sue me.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...rs/ffdshow.cfm

Most up to date version I do believe.

No need to be an asshole about it, People make mistakes, Oh holy perfect vessel you.
Old 2006-01-19, 06:49   Link #12
jubileebud

Okay....um...confused now, are you saying these all can play MPEGs? Once I install them and configure the settings to them, how do get it to decode the video afterwards, that's also where I have the problem. Thanks everyone!
Old 2006-01-19, 14:28   Link #13
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

If you are confused, I'd recommend getting the CCCP and installing it, there is no configuration necessary, since it is pre-configured by a team of testers. All you need to do with the CCCP, providing you have a clean system (ie no codec packs) is keep clicking next until it's installed.

If you are more experienced to stuff like this, then getting FFDShow and Haali's splitter will be fine, but you will need to configure them manually otherwise you won't get full functionality.