AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-04-15, 21:43   Link #2301
81Z27

I think Miku comes off as even more naive than Tohka somehow...
81Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 22:22   Link #2302
Algester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
I read somewhere they are on the back of special folders given out during a DAL event in Akihabara.

Kotori's story is about going to a DAL-parody event, which I find to be rather ironic.

//
This is something I read elsewhere and agree upon.

On Origami.
She is a tragic character.

She is willing to sacrifice a lot for Shidou, someone whom she see as the sole pillar of emotional support - her purpose of life. In v6 and 7 she acted on her own against orders of the AST and marched heads on against the magicians of DEM, both times pushing her body to its limit and wonder dangerously close to the doors of death. In the recent volumes she also seem to be coming in terms with the idea of non-dangerous spirits: at least she will not try to kill Tohka or Yoshino in their "human" forms (she did not go after any of the spirits in astraldress form in the chaos of v6 and 7, but I am hesitant in drawing conclusion there).

Her love for Shidou is not shallow as well. It is hinted that Origami had her eyes on Shidou from a long time ago and is genuinely attracted to him like a regular girl (most of the spirits have a unique case). Through all this time her affection has gone unnoticed and all she can do is keep it to herself.

What makes this sad is that I don't think Shidou has any romantic feelings towards her at all (in fact, Shidou tried to clear up the mistake during Origami's short story and the crew tried various way to make Origami dump Shidou). If anything, I suspect Shidou treat her as more as a classmate-with-misunderstanding than even a friend. All the risks Origami took in v6 and 7 are outside of Shidou's view: while people may tell him about Origami's courage and sacrifices later, atm he seems to have no idea what went on behind the scene. He is also unawared of his role and important to Origami.

In the later volumes, as a reader I find a lot of her awesomeness got overshadowed by characters such as Kurumi and Miku. She also did not receive a Date A Akirabara story... maybe the author just loves to abuse her.

One thing of note:
Origami, similar to all the spirits, share a name with a numerical value. One wonders if the "phantom" will approach her during a moment of desperation.
well she does appear on the cover in Date A Strike Manga... or I'd say its more on the daily life of Origami?
Plus Origami being a Spirit I already have long believed that speculation... but how will that become I still have no idea, Keter's representative color is also white coincidence much? now I don't want to imagine is Metatron's form is a Cannon... to be specific something similar to a Vector Cannon...
Algester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 22:46   Link #2303
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

It is already shown that spirit powers can be granted. Given DEM's spirit research I wouldn't be surprised if they are only steps away from creating an artificial spirit: god from machine.

The owner's knowledge of spirits should not be underestimated: he knows exactly what he is doing with Tohka and how to turn her into dark mode. I feel pity for the 2nd spirit that is in captive: he (!!! what if its a HE?)/she must have gone through countless experiments and tortures.

On Ratatoskr:
They seem to possess technology that is on par, or even superior to DEM. In v7 they even equipped Mana with their own CR unit. Such advancements can only mean either they have been doing their own research or, in a "good guy" world, a spirit is willfully assisting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
hey guys I have a question we all know this series will end with a harem type ending, but if there was going to be a single girl ending who'd you think it would be? I personally think it would be tohka, but I want to hear everyone else's opinion on it.
I want my "everyone gets their own Shidou" ending.
Tohka seem to be well loved by the author as she is "always around". Atm I think Shidou still like all spirits equally with maybe a smidgen favor of Tohka.
I still want her to be benched (i dunno, send her away to a lab for the next 20 volumes for the darkening event) in favor of an all out Origami vs Kurumi setting /wishful thinking
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 22:50   Link #2304
Algester

Quote:
It is already shown that spirit powers can be granted. Given DEM's spirit research I wouldn't be surprised if they are only steps away from creating an artificial spirit: god from machine.

The owner's knowledge of spirits should not be underestimated: he knows exactly what he is doing with Tohka and how to turn her into dark mode. I feel pity for the 2nd spirit that is in captive: he (!!! what if its a HE?)/she must have gone through countless experiments and tortures.

On Ratatoskr:
They seem to possess technology that is on par, or even superior to DEM. In v7 they even equipped Mana with their own CR unit. Such advancements can only mean either they have been doing their own research or, in a "good guy" world, a spirit is willfully assisting them.
isnt Kotori helping them with the research?
Algester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 23:14   Link #2305
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
The things I don't really like about the Shidou-Tohka pairing:
- Shidou relied heavily on external aid to win Tohka's affection. In a way, the start of their relationship "was all but a lie". It is the AI+crew on Fraxinus that did most of the work.
Well unless the anime massively diverted from the novels here, that's entirely untrue. The few times Shidou relied on outside help it nearly got him killed; after that he actively avoided direct help or ignored it completely. So aside from Kotori and co. providing food (which obviously wasn't what won her over in the end), Shidou did all the heavy lifting. (again, this is based on the assumption that the novel wasn't entirely different from the anime)

Haven't really had time to read much into the novels, so I can't comment much on the rest. (I just spoiled myself with the summary on Miku Truth though )

Quote:
Kotori is also a loser in the battle. Her live with her favorite onii-chan got disrupted by all the spirits. Her spirit's power has always been with Shidou and protected him from all sorts of dangers, and her command over Fraxinus is all for the sake of Shidou. Yet at the end she gets no credit for all the things she has done even though she is right beside him all along.
Like with Origami, I'd say this is more a case of "the author hasn't gotten to this yet." We don't know why Origami is in love with Shidou or even what happened with Shidou and sealing up Kotori's powers. Clearly their recognization for their efforts and feelings is going to come when Shidou actually knows their circumstances and what they've done for him.
Old 2013-04-15, 23:26   Link #2306
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algester View Post
isnt Kotori helping them with the research?
Her powers were sealed very shortly after being granted. She is pretty much human.
Old 2013-04-16, 00:00   Link #2307
kazzuya13

Even if she is analyze to be human. And doesn't change the fact that she is still a spirit.
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 11:00   Link #2308
Marly
>AS

So from what I've read of the Vol.7 summary, the DEM leader guy sounds rather super generic. But who knows- Maybe he's putting up a false front and has a motive deeper than Evangelion as a series. I won't be too surprised if some evil Seirei was involved with DEM either, considering how much they know about the Seirei in general. Hopefully the subsequent volumes will focus more on plot™ since a lot of the things are unanswered and the series is already 7 volumes in. And maybe the writer can hopefully make certain plot points/drama less cliche and forced like the case with Dark Tohka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
Highly amused about the game, I'm assuming its a VN, so I'm hoping that the crew will make suggestion that leads to bad ends like in the series
I'm pretty sure it is a VN- There have been no real gameplay videos, so it's either that or it's so awful that they're not showing it in the trailer, as with the case with how Tokitowa turned out. I honestly would've much preferred something like a fighting game, which would've been super neat. But knowing Compile Heart's rather awful track record, I suppose I shouldn't have expected anything that took effort to develop at all.

Quote:
I want my "everyone gets their own Shidou" ending.
Tohka seem to be well loved by the author as she is "always around". Atm I think Shidou still like all spirits equally with maybe a smidgen favor of Tohka.
I still want her to be benched (i dunno, send her away to a lab for the next 20 volumes for the darkening event) in favor of an all out Origami vs Kurumi setting /wishful thinking
Glad you're not the writer. I get that Kurumi's pretty cool and all (she's probably the most interesting character in the series so far), but I don't get why people constantly want this character to be something she isn't.
Marly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 19:31   Link #2309
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
The things I don't really like about the Shidou-Tohka pairing:
- Shidou relied heavily on external aid to win Tohka's affection. In a way, the start of their relationship "was all but a lie". It is the AI+crew on Fraxinus that did most of the work.
- This is further carried on later novels: Tohka becomes unhappy = unstable mood whenever Shidou ignores her. Since having a backflow of spirit power is quite dangerous, I feel as if Shidou is being blackmailed into complying Tohka's wishes. Fortunately for Tohka, Shidou is a nice guy and rarely feels annoyed/frustrated by that. Imagine how Shidou will feel if he has his eyes on another girl and Tohka just refuse to let go! (This is also a reason why I want to see Shidou genuinely fall for someone else: Tohka must learn).
- Tohka has this extremely strong unquestionable love for Shidou original from their initial few meetings. I see her as a rather naive child-like girl who knows nothing relationship wise beside "I just want to be together with Shidou, else I will be unhappy". Her reason for loving Shidou, while is shared by other heroines, feels relatively weaker and more shallow.
- I also feel their relationship advance over time just because the two of them are always together.

Of all the heroines so far, I think Miku by far has the best "route": she started off with a very strong distaste in men and is 200% yuri. Through Shidou's (+Shiori's) interaction (and with Kurumi's help), he is able to open her heart and gave her a valid reason to fall in love of him, shown through both words and action.

Kurumi also does not disappoint, originally seeing Shidou as nothing but prey, Shidou's will to protect all spirits and to save her was able to reach into her dark heart.

Poor Origami (see previous post) . Oh we have yet to have her appear on the cover. I can see her blackmailing Shidou if she ever gets turned into a spirit. "I will only let you kiss me if you sign this marriage registration and make out with me tonight".

Kotori is also a loser in the battle. Her live with her favorite onii-chan got disrupted by all the spirits. Her spirit's power has always been with Shidou and protected him from all sorts of dangers, and her command over Fraxinus is all for the sake of Shidou. Yet at the end she gets no credit for all the things she has done even though she is right beside him all along.
Tohka doesn't love shidou its just he was the first human who didn't try to shoot her.
Kotori's not a loser because she knew this was going to happen the whole time.
The massive loser is Ogami. Not only did she nearly kill shidou when she was trying to kill tohka but Shidou's sister is the one who appeared to kill her parents (whether the truth is known idk). She's outclassed by Tohka and the two hurricane twins. Plus Mana is her brother and she's just an outsider despite having a very nice body.
How is it the best route when she practically hates men and in order to win her he has to crossdress. The best route is the twins because before they went nuts the two were competing to jump his bones and had more naughty moments then tohka ogami kotori and Kurumi combined
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 22:23   Link #2310
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

A part of me wishes that the Cyclone twins should be voiced by Yukari Tamura and Yui Horie, much like the bento twins.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 13:00   Link #2311
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

I have a question. Do the Yamai twins continue with their seduction techniques/attemepts after Shido seals their powers?
Welsh_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 13:51   Link #2312
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
I have a question. Do the Yamai twins continue with their seduction techniques/attemepts after Shido seals their powers?
They are in a different class than him so they get a little less exposure. But during the region wide school festival they still refer him as the guy they fell in love with and is more than happy to grab onto him.

They no longer fight over Shidou, they have agreed to share him between the two of them.
Old 2013-04-17, 14:51   Link #2313
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I just want to ask that everyone get back to focusing on the content of the novels in this thread. If you really want to make a thread for the game, please do so in the appropriate forum, but keep it PG-13.
Old 2013-04-17, 15:55   Link #2314
endarion88

Quote:
They are in a different class than him so they get a little less exposure. But during the region wide school festival they still refer him as the guy they fell in love with and is more than happy to grab onto him.

They no longer fight over Shidou, they have agreed to share him between the two of them.
the twins are pure win!
Old 2013-04-17, 18:42   Link #2315
holybell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
Tohka doesn't love shidou its just he was the first human who didn't try to shoot her.
Kotori's not a loser because she knew this was going to happen the whole time.
The massive loser is Ogami. Not only did she nearly kill shidou when she was trying to kill tohka but Shidou's sister is the one who appeared to kill her parents (whether the truth is known idk). She's outclassed by Tohka and the two hurricane twins. Plus Mana is her brother and she's just an outsider despite having a very nice body.
How is it the best route when she practically hates men and in order to win her he has to crossdress. The best route is the twins because before they went nuts the two were competing to jump his bones and had more naughty moments then tohka ogami kotori and Kurumi combined
Actually, Tohka does have strong feelings for shidou; jealous fits during Yoshino's arc, making him promise that he kiss no one else, literally going dark in desperation when she thought shidou is dying
Old 2013-04-17, 19:15   Link #2316
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

Quote:

I guess that Shido feels good that they are in a different class. Less of a chance of something good bad happening between the girls fighting for his affection and receiving glares from classmates. Btw how do I do that line crossing through a word thing?

Last edited by Welsh_Dragon; 2013-04-17 at 20:03.
Old 2013-04-17, 19:20   Link #2317
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybell84 View Post
Actually, Tohka does have strong feelings for shidou; jealous fits during Yoshino's arc, making him promise that he kiss no one else, literally going dark in desperation when she thought shidou is dying
Im not convinced at those points she's in love with him.
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 19:50   Link #2318
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
Btw how do I do that line crossing through a word thing?
this? the [s ] text [ /s] tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
Im not convinced at those points she's in love with him.
v7 makes it really obvious. She is willing to trade anything, including her life, for Shidou and cannot stand to live in a world without him to a point where she turned towards the dark side.
Old 2013-04-17, 20:03   Link #2319
Znail

Tohka is pretty straightforward, so it's not exactly difficult to see that she is in love. But she is innocent and doesn't know much about such things. But it's clear as she shows just about every sign you can think of, she gets jealous of other girls, anxious when he isn't around, likes to kiss and hug him. He is the center of her world and not in a platonic sense. It's not like she is acting, as if she was that devious, as we got the mood monitor of her reacting when she doesn't get enough attention of Shidou.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 20:08   Link #2320
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

Quote:
this? the [s ] text [ /s] tag.
Thanks for telling me!

Quote:
v7 makes it really obvious. She is willing to trade anything, including her life, for Shidou and cannot stand to live in a world without him to a point where she turned towards the dark side.
I look forward to reading that volume, after I start reading the series properly instead of just skimming through various chapters.

Tags
action, angelic spirits, antiheroine, comedy, drama, fake harem, fantasia bunko, harem, light novel, open ending, possible true harem, romance, science fiction, seinen, shounen, time travel, tragedy