AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-18, 00:48   Link #581
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
He's South American at least check the outfits they're wearing in the preview that's from the Andean and not Spain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosius View Post
He speaks castilian (spanish) but looks like Italian and probably be South American like Blaat said.
Interesting...

Maybe Argentine? They speak Castilian Spanish. Although they do have an accent it's not as pronounced as other Latin American countries is it?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 01:40   Link #582
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Interesting...

Maybe Argentine? They speak Castilian Spanish. Although they do have an accent it's not as pronounced as other Latin American countries is it?
That's possible - all I know is it's classic Peninsular Spanish. The two old dudes at the Beach House could certainly have been from South America.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 07:16   Link #583
Arya

Finally catch up with the third episode. Well, the series seems good so far. My very first impression hasn't been as strong as HSI was, probably because Ohana got me right away. More or less as much as Konatsu got me in the wrong way ... I'd kill her. That's the only comparison I'll do because we all know how HSI went. But I hope they will focus more on the other characters.
Anyways personal tastes aside, the only character that doesn't work yet is Wien, I mean, do they intend to keep portraying him in that way? But who steals the show for me are obviously Wakana and Sawa.

So far the main issue seems to be how people face things they like or liked, more or less. I mean we have Konatsu that want sing just for fun forcing people around , then we have her opposite that is Taichi who seems to be damn serious about badminton. The vice principal looks quite serious about music too even if she lost her fight. Sawa-sama doesn't have these problems because she excel in everything she does, easy being a goddess Wakana instead looks stuck to her mother legacy. She respects her late mother and her mother's "work" (?) so much to not let herself facing things lightheartedly. Like if her mother was quite good in what she did to the point that pushed her daughter to be serious in everything she do. Music-wise her main issue seems to be respecting her mother above everything else. Even enjoying doing things.
That's why she (the vice principal and me) doesn't like Konatsu, so far. Because she seems to not care about what she is doing or how.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 07:37   Link #584
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Anyways personal tastes aside, the only character that doesn't work yet is Wien, I mean, do they intend to keep portraying him in that way? But who steals the show for me are obviously Wakana and Sawa.
Wien does seem to be lacking a purpose other than "comic relief" atm. Though it's quality comic relief for me (e.g. not being portrayed as the target dummy for tsundere female XYZ) so I don't mind .

Quote:
So far the main issue seems to be how people face things they like or liked, more or less. I mean we have Konatsu that want sing just for fun forcing people around
*snicker* I would to have liked to seen your face in Chihayafuru for the character of Chihaya . Same VA, same personality, same goal. Though Chihaya was absolutely serious business about it lol. Though Konatsu is a lot more moe - starjumps, ice-cream licking and pillow smacking ayone

Quote:
then we have her opposite that is Taichi who seems to be damn serious about badminton. The vice principal looks quite serious about music too even if she lost her fight.
Music and Badminton is Serious Business!

Quote:
Sawa-sama doesn't have these problems because she excel in everything she does, easy being a goddess
Hence, a few people (including myself) have been calling her a bit of a Mary-Sue

Quote:
Wakana instead looks stuck to her mother legacy. She respects her late mother and her mother's "work" (?) so much to not let herself facing things lightheartedly. Like if her mother was quite good in what she did to the point that pushed her daughter to be serious in everything she do. Music-wise her main issue seems to be respecting her mother above everything else. Even enjoying doing things.
That's why she (the vice principal and me) doesn't like Konatsu, so far. Because she seems to not care about what she is doing or how.
Interesting observation. Let's see if you're theory turns out correct.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 08:18   Link #585
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Hence, a few people (including myself) have been calling her a bit of a Mary-Sue
Which isn't a bad thing really, in this case at least
Yea I know that some will put Mary-Sue's in a bad light and some a good light but I think she's the good kind.
She's not overly in your face about her being god-like but enough to make you notice she's good at what she does.

Sometimes I can understand the "perfect" character types as being abit boring but for the most part I don't see like that, there's always something about them that ends up catching my attention in some way.
And god knows Sawa-sama's got plenty attention grabbing charms
Old 2012-07-18, 08:22   Link #586
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Which isn't a bad thing really, in this case at least
Yea I know that some will put Mary-Sue's in a bad light and some a good light but I think she's the good kind.
She's not overly in your face about her being god-like but enough to make you notice she's good at what she does.

Sometimes I can understand the "perfect" character types as being abit boring but for the most part I don't see like that, there's always something about them that ends up catching my attention in some way.
And god knows Sawa-sama's got plenty attention grabbing charms
I'll admit that she has some awesome fashion sense. Dat dress, hat and shoes.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:26   Link #587
tsunade666

Quote:
And swimsuit, and hair style.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:36   Link #588
Arya

Quote:
Wien does seem to be lacking a purpose other than "comic relief" atm. Though it's quality comic relief for me (e.g. not being portrayed as the target dummy for tsundere female XYZ) so I don't mind .
It worked for me the first times but now not anymore. But I guess they are not leaving things to chance. So I'm not worried. He will blossom.

Quote:
*snicker* I would to have liked to seen your face in Chihayafuru for the character of Chihaya . Same VA, same personality, same goal. Though Chihaya was absolutely serious business about it lol. Though Konatsu is a lot more moe - starjumps, ice-cream licking and pillow smacking ayone
I started that series, but stopped quite soon. And if I remember well she was quite the cute not loli type. Anyways, the problem is not her character per se, but the way she faces the singing issue dragging and forcing people around. If I remember right Chihaya was really good and worked really hard on that game I don't remember the name.

Quote:
Music and Badminton is Serious Business!
I'm not sure to have understood what you mean, (you don't mean Music and Badminton together I guess) Music could be a serious business, if you want to sing in competitions surely is, in my opinion.

Quote:
Yep, we are saying the same thing here, using different terms.

Quote:
Interesting observation. Let's see if you're theory turns out correct.
Let's see.
I'll add that even the vice president has the same attitude toward Wakana's mother. Her life disappointments don't let her be soft like Wakana seems to be.

Edit: forgot to ask, did I miss something or they didn't sing TT song anymore!! What a shame I want the full chorus version!!!

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:47   Link #589
EroKing

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
And swimsuit, and hair style.
And dat rack
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

*teh police shows up a few minutes later and drags EroKing into prison*
Old 2012-07-18, 08:53   Link #590
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
If I remember right Chihaya was really good and worked really hard on that game I don't remember the name.
The card game was called Karuta.

Quote:
I'm not sure to have understood what you mean, (you don't mean Music and Badminton together I guess) Music could be a serious business, if you want to sing in competitions surely is, in my opinion.
I was more joking around.

Quote:
Edit: forgot to ask, did I miss something or they didn't sing TT song anymore!! What a shame I want the full chorus version!!!
I demand at least one Noe or Hiromi cameo in this series! But knowing PA Works and their trolling, they'll probably give us a chicken instead

@Eroking:

Lawl. However, you need to be non-discriminate and post pics of the other attractive parts - e.g. *cough* ass
Old 2012-07-18, 10:02   Link #591
Arya

Quote:
I demand at least one Noe or Hiromi cameo in this series! But knowing PA Works and their trolling, they'll probably give us a chicken instead
a flying Raigomaru
Don't ask for to much, I mean, HSI already gave us that poster, now they give us the OP song, I don't think they will go any further in this series. Not a cameo anyways. Surely they are showing some affection, aren't they? That's another good reason for liking PA Works.

Old 2012-07-18, 12:02   Link #592
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I sometimes wonder if "Mary Sue" was a term invented to devalue any capable female character. I mean, most shounen heroes are Mary Sues, by the characteristics mentioned in Wikipedia and TV Tropes: wish-fulfilment; self-insertion of writer; magical ability; youngest ever; can do anything, even without training.

In any case, I think Sawa is too real to be a Mary Sue. I loved the way she laughed at Konatsu's misadventure at last year's concert. And I like how she is perfectly willing to force people to do things (e.g., Konatsu to help her wrap her flowers).

And Hayami Saori is doing a terrific job with her. That light, happy laugh at tea with Konatsu was wonderful.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 12:36   Link #593
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Yeah, I agree with Kaoru Chujo. For some reason, it's used way too easily for someone just because they're perfect or just simply capable. To me, it's more if the story has the world seemingky revolve over said Sue, bending over backwards to make their life easy and perfect.

And really, I don't see that being the case for Sawa. She's just capable and her life figured out for the time being, but it isn't like she's annoyingly perfect. There's also the chance that she has her fair share of troubles, but we haven't seen it yet.

After all, despite the main character role being more shared between the ep, we haven't seen an episode from her piv, that is more focused on her (konatsu has ep 1-2, taichi last ep, and sawa seems has to get the longer, possibly season spanning one).

By the same token, I'm not worried about wien, he'll get his spotlight and be more interesting and play a bigger role. There's still 9-10 ep left after all, ad it's been good so far so I hope they wonKt drop the ball.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:40   Link #594
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
And dat rack
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

*teh police shows up a few minutes later and drags EroKing into prison*
I was always curious about her front.... can't take my eyes away from them... They're the focal points
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 12:51   Link #595
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Just for the record, the term "Mary Sue" was invented during the rise of fanfiction, as far back in the 1970's as I was told when Star Trek fics were being written. It's to describe the 'obvious' self insert character who's almost perfect, can perform anything, and solves everything almost on their own. Even now there's no shortage of these Mary Sues in any fanfiction in any fandom, and they're quite boring to read about. But it's NOT a term to 'devalue capable female characters'; believe me, if you spent any good amount of time reading fanfiction, it's the worst character to read about and deserves the negative connotations that it carries.

(Now consider that the average fic writer is female, and "self-insertion" is very common, and thus the reason why Mary Sues are more rampant than their male counterparts, Gary Stu.)

Now Sawa a Mary Sue character? Debatable I guess, but at the very least she is an entertaining character.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 12:56   Link #596
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I was always curious about her front.... can't take my eyes away from them... They're the focal points
I like her hairstyle more, specially if she wears that hat and in that dress though it also highlights her huge assets. But I just love her pigtails (did I get that right? pigtails, twintails)
Old 2012-07-18, 18:15   Link #597
Enternal

"I'll admit that she has some awesome fashion sense. Dat dress, hat and shoes."
"And swimsuit, and hair style."

+ good at persuasion, that personality, what TheEroKing said, and godly side ponytail this episode.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3!

In terms of being a Mary Sue, I always have issues with that term. It used to have a good cannotations to me but over time it just becomes bad because people a lot of time used it as a way to say why they don't like a character. The problem with me is that I have normally think the idea of Mary Sue and Gary Stu as an ideal that we strive for. It's something that we want to improve outself to become like. In addition, there are just a lot of times some characters in fiction are very capable and in general very balanced yet some people would call them as Gary Stu or Mary Sue in a negative way.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 20:15   Link #598
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Mary Sues/Gary Stus aren't just very fortunate and/or (almost) flawless characters. They're characters that truly dominate the narrative, to the point that they start to make other characters seem very ineffectual, redundant, or useless by comparison. That's why they tend to get hated on. It's not simply that they're great, it's that they make everybody else look way worse by comparison.

Nobody in Tari Tari is even coming close to that, in my view.

Tari Tari is very much an "Ensemble Cast" show, where each character has important roles to play. And if I had to pick a main character for this show, it would be Konatsu, not Sawa.

Sawa is just a very nice character with no notable flaws (at least as of yet). She's not making the rest of the cast seem useless.
Old 2012-07-18, 22:02   Link #599
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

A weirdo shows up with a pig and Konatsu swimsuit it to kiddish
Old 2012-07-19, 04:15   Link #600
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Episode 3:

- Haru couldn't think of a better way for Kuroyukihime to regain her former shape...

- So far I find the females are fairly unremarkable. The three main girls and the antagonistic vice-principal all do the bare minimum to fill out their roles in the story, but there is nothing that really makes them stand out...

- ...while the males are a very enjoyable bunch. Weeeeen continues to be the beacon of "I want to take him home"-ness (that scene where he had those sandwich in his mouth was very moe moe kyun~). Taichi is adorably tsundere (and is bold enough to practice air-badminton on the beach), and I've even somewhat warmed up to the principal. Then there are those old guys with their instruments. Seriously, the men are stealing the show!

- I have mixed feelings on the foreigner guy. Sure he has a pig and a tanktop and everything, but he doesn't have a memorable catchphrase! Where are the thumbs ups and the "GUTS" that allow people to shoot rockets sideways?

- I thought this episode was enjoyable. More animals please.

- I liked how Sakai declared her "I no money" with such conviction near the end of the episode. P.A. Works should've ended the episode with this scene. Would've made a great cliffhanger.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works