AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2008-05-01, 03:59   Link #21
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
and the only real thing I can ding them for is putting too many episodes on one disc; during some of the action scenes, I could see lines and other stuff around the characters as they moved.
I was a bit afraid that would happen. Ah well, I'm still going to buy the set, and I have no doubts that I'll enjoy it, but I'd be happier with a 3-disc release. I hope they change that later.

EDIT: Oh, and this question came up on another forum: Are the original japanese credits (And the original logo) anywhere on the disc? FUNimation said that they were supposed to be accessible using the angle-feature, but this is apparently not the case, so does anyone know if they've got them? Or have they switched to just doing english credits like everyone else does? (For the record, I always liked how FUNi included both, so I hope they haven't stopped doing that.)
MORE EDITING: Apparently there aren't any japanese credits or title-cards on it. That's slightly annoying, and another thing I'd like them to fix for the next volumes.
EVEN MORE EDITING: I just preordered the set a few hours ago. I can't wait to recieve it. Finally I'll be able to own the BEST ANIME EVAH on DVD
FOURTH EDIT: Just got the set. Words can not express how awesome this release is. GO BUY IT. NOW.

Last edited by Vegard Aune; 2008-05-20 at 09:53.
Vegard Aune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 15:01   Link #22
Vegard Aune

So, double-posting because my last post was three weeks ago, to answer Blackbeard D. Kuma's question... Coby sounds alright, though I did think he sounded a bit too much like a girl. Kuro's voice sounds kinda generic, but it fits him just fine. Jango has this wierd accent, but that works perfectly if you ask me. Helmeppo... well, it fits his attitude. Didn't really pay that much attention to Morgan's voice. It wasn't bad, at least.

And in general, this is propably the best anime-dub I've ever seen. I've hardly even watched the japanese version on the DVDs, because the dub is so damn great.
Old 2008-05-21, 20:35   Link #23
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
So, double-posting because my last post was three weeks ago, to answer Blackbeard D. Kuma's question... Coby sounds alright, though I did think he sounded a bit too much like a girl. Kuro's voice sounds kinda generic, but it fits him just fine. Jango has this wierd accent, but that works perfectly if you ask me. Helmeppo... well, it fits his attitude. Didn't really pay that much attention to Morgan's voice. It wasn't bad, at least.

And in general, this is propably the best anime-dub I've ever seen. I've hardly even watched the japanese version on the DVDs, because the dub is so damn great.
That is great news to hear. This series is going to get the justice it deserves in North America. Do you mind me asking what the retail price of this season 1 set is? Then again, I guess it depends on the store that you purchase it from. If you can let me know how much you paid for it, that would be great. I am seriously thinking of purchasing these One Piece sets.
Old 2008-05-22, 00:03   Link #24
Jeiku

It's retailing for 50 USD, but some online stores are selling it for cheaper (Amazon's $37.49 is looking rather appealing). I know that Best Buy currently sells most of their anime for 10 dollars less, so I'm hoping to just find it there.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 02:42   Link #25
xris
Just call me Ojisan

As mentioned, if you look around the on-line shops you can find it for under $30, not bad for the first 13 episodes.

DVDPacific, One Piece: Season 1 - First Voyage, $28.21
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 22:33   Link #26
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Glad I peeked in this thread, I was about to buy it from amazon, which imo was a great deal at 38 bucks, but for 28 bucks it's a steal.

Last edited by Tommy; 2008-06-23 at 17:14.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-27, 07:58   Link #27
Fyria

Does dvd-set has also un-cutted subbed as extras? I heard good about dubbing quality but if it dissapoints it would be good to see subs of it.
Fyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-27, 08:13   Link #28
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyria View Post
Does dvd-set has also un-cutted subbed as extras? I heard good about dubbing quality but if it dissapoints it would be good to see subs of it.
Yes. Both the english and japanese version is on the DVD, and the subtitle-translations are great. The only edits on the DVD is the new logo and the translated credits and title-cards for each episode. (The credits I can live with, but I wish they'd stop editing the logo and title-cards... The logo was already written in english, and Luffy reads the episode-tiles out loud anyway, so having them actually be written in english isn't really necessary.)
Old 2008-05-27, 19:35   Link #29
Jeiku

In which case I don't really see what's the problem anymore. I know series like Angelic Layer also had edited title cards, but I never actually cared enough for them. Although the absence of the blue logo disappointed me at first, I've grown to like the new gold one more.

What I am worried about is how FUNi would handle future openings on DVD releases, such as with "BON VOYAGE!" or "Crazy Rainbow," since on the TV edit they replaced it with stock footage. Even then, it wouldn't be anything I would get riled up over.
Old 2008-05-28, 08:26   Link #30
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeiku View Post
In which case I don't really see what's the problem anymore. I know series like Angelic Layer also had edited title cards, but I never actually cared enough for them. Although the absence of the blue logo disappointed me at first, I've grown to like the new gold one more.

What I am worried about is how FUNi would handle future openings on DVD releases, such as with "BON VOYAGE!" or "Crazy Rainbow," since on the TV edit they replaced it with stock footage. Even then, it wouldn't be anything I would get riled up over.
Well, it's certainly nothing worth flaming the release over, (Notice how even though I'm unhappy with the edited title-cards and logo, I still consider this an excellent release) but it's still an unnecessary edit (A minor one, but it's still an edit) in a release that's supposed to be unedited.

And yes, I hope that FUNi will fix their lazy editing in Bon Voyage too. And Crazy Rainbow... That one HAS to be edited, seeing how they spend like 20 seconds just showing the letters being scattered all over the place, and if they actually removed that or replaced it with something else, it would just be plain ridicculous.
Old 2008-05-28, 22:36   Link #31
Jeiku

Yeah, I mean with "We Are!" all it had was a zooming out effect, but beginning with "Believe" the title logos became more active. I know FUNi isn't going to be getting rid of the gold logo anytime soon, but I at least would like for them to mimic the original's style as much as possible with the zoom-outs, the scattered letters, etc. If not, at least include an alternate angle on the textless openings, since FUNi isn't using angles on their episodes anymore...

Anyhow, I got the DVD set yesterday and am watching it through (though I've read all 500 chapters so far, I never actually watched the anime past the Buggy arc). Other than a few art errors (which I assume to be Toei's problem and not FUNi's) it's a really pretty thing. I'm glad to own it.
Old 2008-06-03, 18:31   Link #32
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Amazon lowered their price for the season one dvd to 21.99 !

I should've waited a couple more days, they're practically giving it away.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-05, 15:11   Link #33
Vegard Aune

By the way, according to AnimeOnDVD, the next volume will be out on the 23rd of September. So much for one release every 6 to 8 weeks... At this rate we won't reach the Arlong-arc for another 8 months...
Old 2008-06-10, 17:23   Link #34
sanzo
33million Humming Brook

meh its not bad. definitely an improvement from 4kids. but nothing beats good old subs with luffys real voice
sanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 04:27   Link #35
Awataurus

well they better start from 1st ep becose i realy PI*** OF Seeng 4kids on TV
Awataurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 05:13   Link #36
Blaine

Yes there are starting from episode 1, i have just recived my boxset in the post so i shall be watching it later today.
Old 2008-06-17, 07:53   Link #37
Awataurus

O Rrealy But they still Cut off some actions

Well i better waste my time and download One piece Fansubs
Awataurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 18:19   Link #38
Ryuujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awataurus View Post
O Rrealy But they still Cut off some actions

Well i better waste my time and download One piece Fansubs
What part of "Uncut DVDs" don't you understand?

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 03:05   Link #39
Asakura loves Zolo

hey is it in japanese and english languages? (the FUNimation dub version???)
Asakura loves Zolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 03:29   Link #40
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura loves Zolo View Post
hey is it in japanese and english languages? (the FUNimation dub version???)
Yes. The Funimation collection is in both Japanese and a new English dub (the new dub is far superior to the older dub).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote