Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-03-09, 23:36   Link #21
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briareos
I'm hoping that the "Another Beauty and the Beast" line from the Quicktime trailer is not a prominant story component. There's nothing like that in the manga.
In the second trailer on the site they show Briarios down and Duenan crying over him saying something in Japanese (anyone want to translate?). That and other shots seem to be showing more of a relationship between them than the manga got into. I'm expecting the movie to be like GitS. Take Shirow's world and characters and tell a story, differant from the manga but borrowing elements (complete scenes sometimes) from it.

The mechs do look cool. Does those multilegged tanks seem a little huge though? They are like taller than a sky scraper.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 02:59   Link #22
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Looks pretty badass, I hope it doesn't turn out to be as boring as GITS SAC though. I still to this day can't believe I watched so many episodes of such a dry, boring series, well at least it looked pretty right?.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 09:04   Link #23
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
In the second trailer on the site they show Briarios down and Duenan crying over him saying something in Japanese (anyone want to translate?). That and other shots seem to be showing more of a relationship between them than the manga got into. I'm expecting the movie to be like GitS. Take Shirow's world and characters and tell a story, differant from the manga but borrowing elements (complete scenes sometimes) from it.

The mechs do look cool. Does those multilegged tanks seem a little huge though? They are like taller than a sky scraper.
Deunan crying over an injured Briareos was a scene from the end of book 1. Unfortunately, the way the scene looks from the trailers, it's more of a cliche moment than the one Shirow designed.

Deunan is a bit of a complex character, and her relationship with Briareos is no less complex. Deunan and Briareos are both professional soldiers, however, Briareos is quite a bit older. Although they work well together and compliment each other's skills in many ways, the differences in their experience and maturity lead to gaps in their understanding of each other.

It's a little tough to judge the scale of those Spider Gun Platforms, even in the manga (book 2), but if you look carefully, you'll see that they've got the scale about right. They are huge, but they only tower above relatively smaller buildings. In the one scene where the Guges-Ds are making a dive bombing run on one of them, you can clearly see an overpass next to the Spider that helps with the scale. Don't forget that they can fly, and make themselves taller or shorter by adjusting their legs.
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 01:20   Link #24
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

I just found out about this yesterday lol, but ohh man m I glad I did. Being a CA major i'm freakin psyched about this movie. I have a animated video of it showing alot more cooler scenes I guess, well alot of them are the scenes they have been showing but a tad longer and some new stuff. I was gonna make it a bt but didn't think people would be interested. I also just ordered the ost so I can get the extra dvd with deleted scenes and some other stuff plus the artwork book. Gonna be a fine fine movie, I can't wait.

Also on the video it has a tracking shot of those huge things you talked about and runs up the barrel and shows the human character (sorry first time ever hearing of this series or characters) and they seem WAY bigger then a small scaled building just to let ya know in the movie.

Heres a shot of those spiders? lined up. There about double the size of a small scaled building.
http://mephisto03.5u.com/cgi-bin/i/i...pleseed001.jpg

Heres one of the gun, note the truck closer to the screen for size. DAMN that thing is big.
http://mephisto03.5u.com/cgi-bin/i/i...pleseed002.jpg

Heres one of the spiders close up a little underneath, these things are so cool.
http://mephisto03.5u.com/cgi-bin/i/i...pleseed003.jpg

Heres my favorite shot cause it shows how mammoth the city is. Aww inspiring.
http://mephisto03.5u.com/cgi-bin/i/i...pleseed004.jpg

Last edited by Mephisto03; 2004-03-26 at 01:49.
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 02:39   Link #25
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerve

What a pretentious asswipe.
Being a physics major, I am very happy to see Deunan jumping off a building :P

Ok, sorry

Anyways, this movie does look simply awesome. The music and visuals are great, although I was somewhat indifferent to the old OVA, but like everyones says, I hear the manga was alot better.
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 03:39   Link #26
TronDD
Team the box!

I highly, highly recommend the manga. I read it based on the movie preview and was not disappointed. I've read it twice, actually.

Does anyone know if this movie is comming to US theaters? Summer seems too soon for a DVD. I wonder if I'd rather it be dubbed or subbed...
Old 2004-03-26, 21:10   Link #27
Briareos

Quote:
I highly, highly recommend the manga. I read it based on the movie preview and was not disappointed. I've read it twice, actually.

Does anyone know if this movie is comming to US theaters? Summer seems too soon for a DVD. I wonder if I'd rather it be dubbed or subbed...
As long as there's a choice of dub OR sub, I won't mind.

I'm not sure if it will make it to US theaters or not. The movie was originally touted on the 2 minute DVDs that came with the Appleseed action figures last year. (Yeah, I bought all three.) The voice acting on those DVDs was (awful but it was in) English! Makes me think that we might actually get the film stateside at some point. No English website yet. Geneon has the license I think. Here's hoping.

I don't think I can remember how many times i've read the manga.
Old 2004-03-26, 22:14   Link #28
TronDD
Team the box!

Do you have a stuffed Briareos doll too?
Old 2004-03-28, 10:35   Link #29
Briareos

*Briareos goes wide-eyed and thinks*

I wonder if they're gonna make Briareos UFO catcher dolls to promote the movie? If I could get my grubby hands on a Briareos plushie, I would.

EDIT: Added 2004-03-29 _________________________________________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto03
...Also on the video it has a tracking shot of those huge things you talked about and runs up the barrel and shows the human character (sorry first time ever hearing of this series or characters) and they seem WAY bigger then a small scaled building just to let ya know in the movie...

Heres a shot of those spiders? lined up. There about double the size of a small scaled building...Heres one of the gun, note the truck closer to the screen for size. DAMN that thing is big...Heres one of the spiders close up a little underneath, these things are so cool...Heres my favorite shot cause it shows how mammoth the city is. Aww inspiring.
The height of those two (there should be three) arched buildings (covered with heliostat mirrors) is discussed in the first manga. They are nearly 800 feet high. It's tough to judge the scale of anything in Olympus: The scale of the buildings is all over the place.

It'll be interesting to see the Spider Gun platforms in action. In the manga, there's a funny scene where one of the platforms logs in to a public info terminal and hacks into the city-wide monitoring system to find the person it's looking for. Those things are driven by an AI system that is quite resourceful in the manga. They are also capable of limited flight.

Last edited by Briareos; 2004-03-29 at 22:07.
Old 2004-04-07, 17:26   Link #30
TronDD
Team the box!

Just saw this on animenewsnetwork:

posted on 2004-04-06 14:48:05
source: Yahoo News Japan

Preparation work already started for second movie

Following news from the Tokyo International Anime Fair that there were plans for a second Appleseed movie, it has been revealed that there will in fact be 3 Appleseed movies. Without even waiting to gauge the success of the first movie, it has been decided that production would start on the second movie, with its release planned for 2005. Preparations for the second movie began even before the completion of production on the first movie, back in September.

The first Appleseed Movie premieres in Japan on April 17th and will be released in North America by Geneon this summer.

Awesome. That's the kind of effort Appleseed deserves.
Old 2004-04-16, 08:25   Link #31
Briareos

Thanks for the heads up on this, TronDD. I'm happy that Appleseed is finally getting the red-carpet treatment, although I wish it was in a long, non-episodic, TV series instead. i.e. Not what was done with GITS SAC (although I love that show).

I wonder how open the end of the first film will be then. Actually, I wonder a lot of things about the film, but I'm going to reserve my judgement until I see it.
Old 2004-05-04, 03:33   Link #32
h3lldiver

Send a message via ICQ to h3lldiver Send a message via MSN to h3lldiver
Question

hm never heard of this anime before, is it a new one? someone was talking about the manga? is it licensed?
h3lldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 18:46   Link #33
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3lldiver
hm never heard of this anime before, is it a new one? someone was talking about the manga? is it licensed?
This is a CG movie we're talking about (does that count as anime?). It came out in Japanese theaters April 17th, I believe, so it's new. It's supposidly scheduled for some kind of American release this summer. There is also an old OVA (licensed) out that isn't really much to speak of (though I liked it), but that's not the topic of this thread.

Yes, the manga is licenced. 4 Volumes plus some extra that are hard to find. I highly reccomend it.

I'd like to see a long series, too. Still, a well done animated version of some of the story arcs (or new story arcs if Shirow prefers) is fine by me. Another volume of manga would be better, though.
Old 2004-05-05, 04:21   Link #34
marin

Quote:
This is a CG movie we're talking about (does that count as anime?).
It's animation isn't it?
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 05:57   Link #35
h3lldiver

Send a message via ICQ to h3lldiver Send a message via MSN to h3lldiver
well it is a cd anime right
h3lldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 06:07   Link #36
Briareos

CG animation or hand drawn animation, it's all anime.
Old 2004-05-05, 07:04   Link #37
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
whoa.... the trailer was somthing so... different. Ive never heard of it until now but i cant wait to see this. Since it came out the 17th of last month as someone said in the thread, did anyone see it yet? whats it like?
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 12:36   Link #38
TronDD
Team the box!

I haven't heard anything said about it. I haven't tried looking for any reviews either, though. I suppose if I wanted to find some Japanese movie review sites, they'd be out there.

I'm going to see it regardless, so I don't care what other people think of it.
Old 2004-05-08, 18:04   Link #39
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

3 movies???? I'M IN HEAVEN! Thats such great news. I actually bought the OST so I can have the extrsa dvd and also bought the making of dvd so I could get the Briareos doll, not stuffed but plastic. Anyways I think my new favorite scene is actually a picture of the park thats in the city. It just looks so good. i'll take a pic and post it up.

Hers some new pics.
Some new women:
http://mephisto03.5u.com/cgi-bin/i/i...ed_chick_1.jpg
http://mephisto03.5u.com/cgi-bin/i/i...ed_chick_2.jpg

New dude:
http://mephisto03.5u.com/cgi-bin/i/i...e_interest.jpg

Pretty landscape shots:
http://mephisto03.5u.com/cgi-bin/i/i...overview_1.jpg
http://mephisto03.5u.com/cgi-bin/i/i...overview_2.jpg

Not to sure if the first chick is new or its the main character in a different outfit and hair is up, someone else will have to confirm it since i've never read the manga.

Last edited by kagetsu; 2004-05-08 at 19:19.
kagetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 21:33   Link #40
TronDD
Team the box!

Found a couple articles about the movie. Short but interesting reads. Apparently Appleseed was first planned as a series. It was just mentioned in passing but apparently Geneon will release the movie in the theaters. Cool that it'll be targeted for a wide audience, bummer that it means it'll most likely be dubbed.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/...20040414a2.htm
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/...20040414a5.htm