AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-06-07, 19:35   Link #341
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to fireshark
Let me rephrase what I meant, anything you *want* to download is treated as just another unity download except that it's converted after it's done.

Secondly, if Perfect Dark allowed you to selectively delete information regarding cache conversion, I'm sure that NetAgent wouldn't have mentioned that they can find it out.
fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 14:45   Link #342
EricPost

just found this thread and boy was it helpful. Thanks

I have one question

My question is, once I uploaded files and had 2gigs I got a message saying I'd be able to download files manually which was great. I had 5 files in the download tab at that time

My question is this, when I got to PD's download tab (afer I got that message) all the information changed. Instead of saying the file names etc, it chaned to this, it now says

Review: Blank
Stauts: Downloading...(It gives me a long hash number)
Size: Blank
Progress: Blank
Est Time: Blank
Downloaded: blank

What is this? Is this correct. I tried downloading a small file as a test and it was quick and didn't go through all this.

My second question is, what are the "Gather tabs" and the "Board tabs" for? All those downloads appearing with the long hash numbers show up there. The smaller test file I downloaed never appeared there.

Thanks for your help
EricPost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 14:02   Link #343
atlantiza

Having a slight issue with PD...

I currently have 2.13GB in unity (2208MB), but my download list is still not prioritized... as in, I can't download anything I actually want to download.

Am I missing something here or is something wrong? D:
atlantiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 19:23   Link #344
jpwong

I think it's been mentioned your aren't really super prioritized until your unity is at least 20GB. If you leave it going long enough you'll get the files, but it also partly depends on how popular that file is.
Old 2009-06-17, 23:18   Link #345
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

yeah, you just kinda have to wait.
Old 2009-06-18, 18:53   Link #346
globus999

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshark View Post
Let me rephrase what I meant, anything you *want* to download is treated as just another unity download except that it's converted after it's done.

Secondly, if Perfect Dark allowed you to selectively delete information regarding cache conversion, I'm sure that NetAgent wouldn't have mentioned that they can find it out.
Anything you *want* to download may be visible by NetAgent, since, if the info is correct, NetAgent works by mimicking a client. However, there are two parts to this:

1 - What you want to download are just search "keyword". So what? The agent has no way to know that you are actually downloading this or that file. Only that you are searching for it. So far, nothing illegal.

2 - Let's say that you found a file and you are downloading it. Then again, so what? It's in the Unity and it is indistiguishable from other hundredths of files that are also in the Unity. It is "your" file or is it PD's file? Just because there is a keyword match between your search and the name or description of the file it means bupkus! There are thousands of files with responding to the same keyword.

Wrt to your second part, the info about the file you downloaded is stored in a separate Database. If you erase all this info (and you can do so easily from the Downloaded tab through a right-click), then if you re-search for the same file and re-download, you will notice that it is treated as not-previously downloaded. So, in principle, yes. You can do this.

Now, taking into consideration that PD is of closed code, I can't provide 100% assurance to this regard.

Lastly, why would NetAgent say so? Because if you do NOT erase this info selectively, then YES. The agent can and will find out that you actually downloaded the file and decrypted it. Why? because only files selected for download can be decrypted.

Bottom line, as far as I can understand, you are only vulnerable during the moment your file is decrypted and the time it takes you to nuke this info.

Worth the risk? I dunno. Each one will have to make a decision.

In any event, it is NOT panic-button time. However, the general trend is worrying.

The main problem being that this seems to be a general attack against P2P clients from which there is no defense. All clients need to share info in order to share files. Anything mimicking a client will have the same info.

Can't wait to see what kind of solution will the P2P community come up with to neutralize this treat. It is going to be something trully creative!
globus999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 20:39   Link #347
zerome

ok Hashdub, from what I understand, this is a database for winny or share?

my question is how do i find these on share or winny?

I have searched constantly for the files it says it has but get no where?

http://hashdb.com/a2a1b3acfa27f453f4...8eaa1e41cf085b

this is one of them. can anyone help me out here?
zerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 07:01   Link #348
frankyfrank

Perfect Dark history of downloads

@globus999

Relating to what you said above: right clicking on a file in the completed section to delete it doesn't seem to completly remove its traces from the computer:

I've tried downloading a small file (4mb), and deleting it: it stayed in the unity.

Fine, there's no problems with that. The real problem is that when you search again for the file on the darknet, in the search listing, now the file is highlighted with any rating you gave it.

I've tried quitting, reselecting download then delete etc.

In the search results, the file is still highlighted, with "no review" in the "state" instead of new...

Even removing the file from the unity (by selecting and deleting it in the unity directory) and restarting PD, you still get those results.
In fact, the "completed" list STILL is populated with the download; clicking delete doesn't remove the entry from the list, you have to review it first. But even after reviewing and then being able to clear to list, a brand new search (deleted the search node, restarted PD) still highlights your downloaded files with your review rating.

On one hand, I don't want to wipe my perfect dark installation everytime I download something (I want to keep the unity) but there doesn't seem to be a way to clear the unity database of the d/l history.

Last edited by frankyfrank; 2009-07-07 at 07:28.
frankyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 15:06   Link #349
ut0pia

so.. i dunno if this topic is actual anymore, but i think there are a few things to clarify:
* PD is closed source
* it isn't really "official" in a way other apps are (no hp, anonym)

who is the coder? I dunno, i don't care.. Is it safe? I dunno, i don't care.. (i want to have RAWs.)
ok. did someone debug this app? no. someone investigated, what it REALLY does? i dunno and i think no. i will. You _have_ to upload something, of course, that's the principle of P2P. But if you don't want to? (btw, if you don't have something called an "upload"?)
this should be possible to disable in IDA/OllyDbg. I will have a look at it and post a detailed analysis here. stay tuned...

now my questions/facts:
* some RAWs (animes in general) are only available in PD, right?
* you have to upload
* can i run PD under linux -- yes, with wine. I have only 10GB HDD Space. Is it possible though?
* what's a "unity"? <- all what i download, i have to upload?!?!

please answer, asap
ut0pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 15:25   Link #350
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

unity = forced cache. if you dont upload something, you upload whatever you downloaded in unity.

Coder = some guy called Kaicho-

RAWs: depends, many are still available on share
Upload: No, see above
PD: yes.
HD Space: It will just use up all your HD space.
Unity: see above.
Old 2009-07-29, 16:14   Link #351
jfs
Aegisub dev

As I see it, PD was made with three assumptions:

* You have plenty of hard drive space, ideally you dedicate an entire 100+ GB drive to just PD
* You have a fast symmetric (upload and download speed the same) connection, 10 MBit or more in each direction
* You will have your computer and PD running 24/7

If you don't fulfil all three of those assumptions, expect things to run poorly.
Can it be said simpler?

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 16:38   Link #352
cyth
Banned

I don't know what you mean by poorly. I'm definitely not a power user per se, but the things I found on PD I could generally download. I'm pretty low on HD space, but with 2 gigs of unity and a 20/20 symmetric line stuff downloads at a decent rate, I guess. Would not running PD 24/7 limit search results or something? That would be my only concern as there are still things out there that I can't find anywhere else except on Share and OpenNap.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 17:53   Link #353
jfs
Aegisub dev

My point with running 24/7 is mainly to get a stable set of peers to talk to, I have an idea it takes some time for the network to "start up" after you've been down for some time, so you get better efficiency by being online constantly.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 00:32   Link #354
K!R4
Freelance

I like this program than share or other equivalent programs, but its kinda ridiculous how this program works. Before you can achieve a decent speed downloading stuff, it has to fill up the the unity folder with random chunks of files from different files. Once you reached the quota of the unity, you will get high download speed, but this all depend on users who have all the pieces of the file you tryin to dl if theyre online (dont worry though, once they hit online- your dl will be blazing fast since most of the users using this program are on fiber optic, high dup dsl or cable, T#s connections). Another gud thing about this program is the way you search files. far simpler than share. It will hit the target you wanted. You dont have to put search strings (dvd, isos, ts) over the setting like you usually do with in share. The only drawback I can see is it doesnt have all share has like many people have said. Im just hoping people in japan start using this program more often than share in the future for more content available.
K!R4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 06:42   Link #355
ut0pia

nevertheless..
this is.. curios. i will investigate. stay tuned. thanks for your answers. de facto i cannot download anything, coz i have only 10GB HDD (and 5GB is my OS xD), or?
Old 2009-07-30, 16:11   Link #356
neothe0ne

I gave up on PD shortly after the last time there were 2 updates in a day. It deleted 30gb+ of my unity and what I was left with (7gb) wasn't getting any of my downloads anywhere. PD running poorly would be an understatement - it simply stopped working.

Share still works fine (better, really).
Old 2009-07-30, 17:23   Link #357
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

I have never got Share to work quite right for me so PD is much mroe useful (even with the unity crap)
Old 2009-07-30, 18:14   Link #358
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Desbreko
PD seems very hit or miss for me. I only have a few GB of unity (needs moar hard drives) yet some stuff downloads quickly. On the other hand, some stuff won't download at all past maybe 0.3%, even if I leave PD running for days straight.

On Share I've always been able to download stuff so long as I'm able to find it at all.
Desbreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 03:30   Link #359
ut0pia

but works Share a) safe b) on Linux (w/ wine?)
do you need THAT much space for unity crap?
Old 2009-07-31, 03:53   Link #360
Emess
Slower Than You

Send a message via AIM to Emess Send a message via MSN to Emess Send a message via Yahoo to Emess
I can't see any problem with Share not being 'safe,' plenty of people still use it and are not being prosecuted, especially outside Japan. It does not work under WINE at all.

E~
Emess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p2p, perfect dark