Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-11, 11:35   Link #1
Katz

Send a message via MSN to Katz
PS2 Game Recommendations

Hi, I was thinking about checking out some PS2 games I missed because they are pretty cheap now and PS2 was my favorite console. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some recommendations based on some of the games I like that I list here.

I am definitely an RPG person. Not big on first-person games like shooters, or fighting games. I also like anything that is remotely related to visual novels (though I'm sure there are few, if any, on PS2 in the U.S.). I also really like games with multiple endings where choices you make during the game determines what will happen. These are just suggestions of things I tend to like - none of them is a requirement, obviously.

My favorites for this system were:
Persona 3 and 4 ~ I love them especially because of the social links element but I'm sure there's probably not much out there like it. I really liked that you had a normal school life in addition to the fighting and all that.

Sly 2 and 3 - The gameplay of these was really fun.

Final Fantasy XII and X - I really like the combat system of XII, because the monsters just roamed around and you could run up to them and battle in the field instead of having a battle sequence. Both were really good.

Okami - I really liked improving all the areas and making them look pretty.

Tales of the Abyss - I like Tales games pretty well (I also played Legendia but didn't like it quite as much, for whatever reason).

Kingdom Hearts I and II - The fighting is really fun in these games.

I appreciate your help - thanks!
Old 2011-05-11, 12:01   Link #2
mecharobot

Dragon Quest VIII is nice for its sense of adventure and big world. Lots of exploration and it has two endings, although they're not that different overall.

Rogue Galaxy is also good for exploration, but not so much for its story.

Star Ocean 3 is one my favorites and it has multiple endings, or more like one ending plus quite a few different character endings depending on which characters you chose and how you interacted with them. It is a fairly divisive game however, so you'll likely either love it or hate it.

Disgaea 1 has multiple endings and a very beautiful, yet simple story (especially with the true ending, be sure to get the true ending).

Shadow of the Colossus is another one, which I think every PS2 owner should play once. It's not an RPG, more of an artisitic game, which you may either find immersive or boring, since it only has 16 enemies. Very minimalistic in presenting its raw story, but its said that you find its majesty through pure gameplay. Finding paths to slay your enemies and gazing upon their grandiose form. I think it's worth the time it takes to beat. Be sure to not use a guide if you want the full experience.
Old 2011-05-11, 12:05   Link #3
jedinat

I'll second Shadow of the Colossus and add Ico.
Old 2011-05-11, 12:38   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll suggest Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant, especially the latter. You don't need to play the original to understand the sequel, though it includes the occasional flashback to the first game. An unusual battle system, and a dark story told with a lot humor, makes this one of my favorite games. The original is good, but the battles got fairly boring quickly. The third game, set in 1920's America, isn't nearly as good as the first two, though it does have some nice eye candy.

If you liked the Sly Cooper games, I strongly recommend playing the original Ratchet & Clank. I bet you'll want to play the sequels when you're done.
Old 2011-05-11, 12:46   Link #5
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Seconding Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts : Covenant and Shadow Hearts: towards the new world. Covenant is by far the best RPG ever released for the PS2. I found all three awesome, of course, but 2 is my favourite, because it has the most touching story (plot connected from 1) and Joachim <3 Also seconding Star Ocean 3 and Dragon Quest VIII, and seeing as you like Persona games, I'll recommend Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's call (a.k.a. Nocturne) and Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (two parts, but bonus stuff from 1 gets carried over to 2). Be warned that they are hardcore titles, they feature the hardest secret boss fights ever!
Oh, and if you can get your hands on them, check out the .hack series. It's a fictional MMORPG, amazing story, stuff gets carried over, if you itemize properly then the fights won't be tedious, great OST.
Old 2011-05-11, 12:48   Link #6
SidVicious
Anime addict

Ar tonelico 1 & 2
Old 2011-05-11, 12:58   Link #7
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katz View Post
H
Persona 3 and 4 ~ I love them especially because of the social links element but I'm sure there's probably not much out there like it. I really liked that you had a normal school life in addition to the fighting and all that.
You should definitely check out Mana Khemia 1 and 2, then.

And if you like fun battle systems, try the Grandia games. Apart from 1 and 2 they have pretty crappy stories, but as far as turn-based RPG battle systems go, no series can beat Grandia.
Old 2011-05-11, 13:41   Link #8
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
You should definitely check out Mana Khemia 1 and 2, then.
Also seconded! And adding the entire Atelier Iris series PS2 has so many good games
Old 2011-05-11, 15:07   Link #9
Katz

Nice! Thanks for so many suggestions - I will be sure to check them out.

I actually asked for these recommendations because my PS2 dies about 15 minutes into playing most of the time and I was considering replacing it and wanted to make it worth my while by buying some new games. People say if you like JRPGs then PS2 is the system to have, and I really think that's true! There's so many games I never played.

I have a ton of GameStop credit so I may just buy another PS2 now.
Old 2011-05-11, 18:49   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katz View Post
I have a ton of GameStop credit so I may just buy another PS2 now.
I'd look at eBay first. Your other option is an original PS3 with PS2 compatibility.
Old 2011-05-11, 19:29   Link #11
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Oh, and if you can get your hands on them, check out the .hack series. It's a fictional MMORPG, amazing story, stuff gets carried over, if you itemize properly then the fights won't be tedious, great OST.
Seconding the .hack series of course [though GU had a fair bit more fun game play in my opinion , but it does make more sense if you played the original]. Also though on those to you may want to watch the animes //signs and //roots as they're the prequels to the original and GU[though the relationship between Roots and GU is much more close since the main character is the same while Signs and the Original haven't different main characters]

I'll also second Disgaea 1 it's a really fun game .
MAL
Old 2011-05-11, 19:33   Link #12
Katz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'd look at eBay first. Your other option is an original PS3 with PS2 compatibility.
That's true. I did consider the PS3 because I would likely need to buy a PS3 eventually anyway. But I do get concerned about buying used systems and not having them work.
Old 2011-05-11, 19:46   Link #13
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

I'd stay away from the PS3s with PS2 compatibility at this point. They're the oldest and the first gen in particular are often dead by this point (YLOD or disc read problems). If you go that route, the 20GB and 60GB first gen fatties are the only ones that have full PS2 hardware compatibility. The 80GB has partial compatibility.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sakura Taisen V yet. It's a combination of visual novel and (light) tactical RPG. V is the worst one in the series (IMO) but it's the only one that got released in English. I don't know how hard it might be to find the PS2 version now though.
Old 2011-05-11, 21:46   Link #14
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Surprised no one mentioned Odin Sphere. Its an action RPG 2D side scroller. Its a great game. Graphics look good and the story/gameplay is very good. I definitely recommend this one.