AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: How annoying?
After a few minutes of that sort of thing I want to NUKE THEM TO HELL. 167 30.31%
It's only annoying when it's really excessive. 247 44.83%
It's interesting, like a sort of anime slang, but I wouldn't say it myself. 44 7.99%
Using Nihongo in my sentences is cooool ^____^ You are a chibi baka! 42 7.62%
おばけアメリカンのだ、日本語わかれない 51 9.26%
Voters: 551. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-03-10, 20:15   Link #1
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

How annoying is it when people inject Japanese into their speech?

This poll is spawned from a thread derailing where a lot of people said "otaku", "baka", "eeto...", and so forth.

Here's a little parody to show you what I mean when I say "annoying". (The thread is hilarious, by the way.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldandy
Hi everyone! I am Jacob! I am 18 years old and I LOVE anime! One could say that anime is my life! I like anime because its SO SUGOI (thats japanese for cool!). The japanese are great artists and totally can connect with me unlike baka (thats japanese for dumb!) american movies. My favorite animes are Neon Genesis Evangelion, Akira, and DragonBall Z. They TOTALLY rule.

I am what you would call an otaku. For those of you who are not in with japanese culture, an otaku is a lover of anime! I am proud to be an otaku and it is my mission in life to convert everyone! You could say I am an Otaking! SUGOI!
edit: I forgot this post, which was made in total, grave seriousness:
Quote:
Originally Posted by niu-niu
Im looking for a bento box, it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii (cute)). And it would be nice if it came with matching chopstick holder (WITH chopsticks). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of ceramic, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a bento box similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was 1 kotoba, and i dont want my gohan (rice) to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus 2 compartments looks more kawaii)

Last edited by Shii; 2004-03-10 at 20:28. Reason: parody
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 20:22   Link #2
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
haha. "Otaking!" I remember that from Otaku no Video.
I guess it's a bit annoying but I think I'm a little used to it. Especially the words used in the quote: sugoi, baka, otaku. I go to the anime club at my college every week and I hear those words. I also hear unforgivable (the word for it I can't remember) a lot. Oh yes, and kawaii, can't forget kawaii.
Anyway, I thought sugoi meant incredible, not "cool."

and an edit cuz of ashibaka's edit:
yeah, it is annoying when they stop and tell you what the japanese words mean right after they use each one. In that case, I'd call them a baka (that's Japanese for idiot! )
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 20:23   Link #3
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
i think its fine as long as its not over used...i just like using eto and baka cause theyre such fun words! ^_^ and i like saying wai but u dont see me typing dat up on all my posts...its just really annoying when ppl post things like this --

eto....konnichiwa minna-san!!!! Wai wai! I am Annabelle. Daisuki-desu anime-nyo0o0o??

Something like that...but hey, the japanese insert english words into their language all the time. So I dont see why we cant do the same. Might as well hate on them if someones gonna get all annoyed with us doing the same thing.
nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 20:23   Link #4
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkar
Anyway, I thought sugoi meant incredible, not "cool."
You are correct. That entire post is a really awful (good awful) parody, and all the "translations" are inaccurate. Although the quote I just added below it is not.
Old 2004-03-10, 20:26   Link #5
Shift_

I mean there's gotta be "exceptions" to the rule.

Because being asian, I got alot of asian friends. And sometimes (not on purpose too) they like start splurting stuff out in korean, japanese, chinese etc...

I mean the people that do do that, were born and raised there, but it's not wierd, that's just their primary language, and it's intresting to see them talk to other people from the same place in english and in another language at the same time.
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 20:36   Link #6
TronDD
Team the box!

Those quotes are annoying. I don't mind a complete Japanese phase thrown in, but putting Japanese words in an English sentence is annoying.

I'll say baka, or something sometimes. But not in the middle of an English sentence.

I like languages. It delights me to know and use foreign words because I suck at learning languages.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 20:38   Link #7
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
I'm not bothered by it. o.o

I admit I've never used Japanese language in real life. I'm way too shy to do that and I'd be too afraid of sounding ridiculous. However, at the anime club, people use Japanese words from time to time. When the pizza man arrives and everyone starts eating, everyone starts shouting "Ittadakimasu!" [ Sorry if my Japanese isn't too good. :P ] I think that's funny. They seem to use the word "baka" a lot, too.

Online, I might use some Japanese words if I'm with someone who also likes the Japanese language, but it's pretty rare. I know it's going to sound stupid, but I think Japanese is a cute language. I'd like to learn Japanese. I can somewhat understand why it would be annoying, but I don't think it's a serious problem. Some people I've known treat it like it's a serious problem, though. x.x

A lot of people I've known acted like it was such a crime to insert Japanese words in their speech. Also, they said it was stupid to have Japanese screen names. That's ... something a bit elitist to say in my opinion. I can understand why someone would be annoyed by an excessive use of Japanese words in their sentences, but I don't personally believe someone should get all pissed off and tell people they shouldn't do this because it supposedly makes them stupid losers.
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 20:46   Link #8
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

I can stand it here and there...but what gets me pissed off about it is that people are using that type of language just to "show off" in a way and they only talk like that cause they think it makes them look cool...

but on the other hand, if the person is actively learning japanese...then i'll have more of a tolerance (but not so much that they gotta use a phrase every other word or those 2 quotes that ashibaka put up) for it cause it's something that they're learning...and not just to show off the little phrases that everyone knows...
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 20:48   Link #9
S7EV3n
Music is my LIFE~!

I use japanese sometimes
so I dont really get bothered by it
But people who like to show off..sometimes get on my nerve
S7EV3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 20:50   Link #10
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Here's a little parody to show you what I mean when I say "annoying". (The thread is hilarious, by the way.)
Did you notice that that guy joined on September 11, 2001? *cue X-Files theme*

Anyway, I don't mind people mixing other languages into their English (which is often the case of Spanglish speakers) as long as they PRONOUNCE it correctly and actually know what the words mean.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 20:51   Link #11
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurara
I admit I've never used Japanese language in real life. I'm way too shy to do that and I'd be too afraid of sounding ridiculous.

I only use it when I know how to pronounce it / spell it, or if I know the other person doesn't so I can't embarrass myself
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 20:52   Link #12
Dark Zero

Send a message via AIM to Dark Zero
I find it annoying because its most of these 'otaku' think its so cool to say it. If it was just normal use in language, I wouldn't find it so annoying. For example, knowing 2 languages and mistakingly speaking in both. But they ONLY use the common most words, and most likely they get it from anime..... Its just the fact it has to be these so called anime lovers, usually just fanboys that really don't know much about anime in the first place, such (I'm going to get flamed for this for sure) as anime noobs, oh wait, its 'otaku', and most fanboys like the dbz crowd (in usa) and naruto groupies. These people need lives -_-. Damn, I love anime and have lots of anime stuff, but i don't go as far as calling myself an 'otaku'......jeez.
Dark Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 20:56   Link #13
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Zero
I find it annoying because its most of these 'otaku' think its so cool to say it. If it was just normal use in language, I wouldn't find it so annoying. For example, knowing 2 languages and mistakingly speaking in both. But they ONLY use the common most words, and most likely they get it from anime..... Its just the fact it has to be these so called anime lovers, usually just fanboys that really don't know much about anime in the first place, such (I'm going to get flamed for this for sure) as anime noobs, oh wait, its 'otaku', and most fanboys like the dbz crowd (in usa) and naruto groupies. These people need lives -_-. Damn, I love anime and have lots of anime stuff, but i don't go as far as calling myself an 'otaku'......jeez.
The American definition of otaku: one who has seen all 50000 episodes of Dragonball Z.
Old 2004-03-10, 20:59   Link #14
Dark Zero

Send a message via AIM to Dark Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
The American definition of otaku: one who has seen all 50000 episodes of Dragonball Z.
You cannot forget the specials and movies too AH i cannot forget in some magazine I read some kids asked 'When will the next DBZ series air, it cannot end with GT' OH MAN what a laugh!! Some 'otaku' they are, they didn't even know they watching a poorly dubbed series of late 80's ^_^

edit: gotta add another 'otaku' moment i experienced. I go to a store to get some model paints for one of my gundams, and what do I see? The dorky store guys, looking at those pathetic spreads (like 1 or 2 pages) of anime content in those wizard magazines. Ah what a funny site, they were drooling over it and pronounced anime in a stupid way, and started spitting jibberish out about anime series as if they knew ANYTHING they were talking about, I just stood back and enjoyed their ignorance.......bless theres 'otaku' ^_^
Dark Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 21:02   Link #15
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

welll it's not that bad i guess, just like one of the options only if it's overdone.
The other exetreme I've seen is when people start moving and acting like the anime characters. < Now this one gets pretty annoying at times.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 21:03   Link #16
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Yay finally a poll with loaded questions that I don't mind responding to. People who know Japanese don't waste time with posts like that in a forum like this. Japanese people don't all talk like they are in an anime, they don't even watch anime necessarily, etc.

Learning Japanese is hard work, it's not about wishing and hoping. I don't mind seeing a few nouns used here and there but that's my limit.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 21:09   Link #17
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Quote:
I find it to be very Idiotic when people say Baka (IdiOt) type stuff. It goes to show just how dumb you actually are ^^.
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 21:18   Link #18
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Japanese thrown in when people are speaking English or Korean or something doesn't really bother me at all.. what annoys the crap out of me is someone saying something like this...

"LOL!"

No, they do not say "laugh out loud" which doesn't really make sense on it's own anyway, they just say "LOL".

I came very close to beating down this kid that sat in front of me and kept saying that with his friend "LOL, LOL, LOL". I warned him to stop doing that because it was annoying and he did.

I don't like this idea that the way you talk and the way you type are creeping together in real life.

I also dislike the term "noob" because everyone was new at one point and that term is degrading. Criticize people for being stupid or being a pussy, don't criticize people that are new and working hard to get better.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 21:20   Link #19
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Japanese thrown in when people are speaking English or Korean or something doesn't really bother me at all.. what annoys the crap out of me is someone saying something like this...

"LOL!"

No, they do not say "laugh out loud" which doesn't really make sense on it's own anyway, they just say "LOL".

I came very close to beating down this kid that sat in front of me and kept saying that with his friend "LOL, LOL, LOL". I warned him to stop doing that because it was annoying and he did.
I know exactly what you mean! Did this person say the letters L-O-L or did he pronounce it like "lawl"?
Old 2004-03-10, 21:21   Link #20
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean! Did this person say the letters L-O-L or did he pronounce it like "lawl"?
L-O-L

Oh lord... Lawl? Urge to kill.. rising... rising...
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote