Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-09, 06:06   Link #61
trakker
Comical Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow1770 View Post
The robot battle at school brought FLCL to mind. I'm tempted to think it was intentional... I could just be reading too much into it though.
I knew this reminded me of something, FLCL duurrr, its not quite that strainge as FLCL, but it kinda echos some of the bizzarness, in a more cute comedy way

And epic! A subbing team have picked it up already, I was expecting a couple of weeks wait mabye, since its not really that well known. Must download fast!

I am quite pleased overall that multiple times during this first episode, they had potential to do shameless fanservice. and yet they didnt choose too, its refreshing that some manga/anime teams relize they can hold our attention without it (although i'll have to re'read the manga to see if its all gonna in episode 2) lol
Old 2008-10-09, 06:24   Link #62
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow1770 View Post
The robot battle at school brought FLCL to mind. I'm tempted to think it was intentional... I could just be reading too much into it though.
Funny, the suit reminded me at Full Metal Panic, the combat armor bear suit
Old 2008-10-09, 06:46   Link #63
trakker
Comical Scamp

Thats totally where we are with this, half way between FLCL and Fummofu XD
Old 2008-10-09, 10:01   Link #64
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm all for complete absolute outrageousness, so this show is the show for me. Loved the first episode, along with the very sexy character designs and well place voice acting choices.

This is going to be quite the ride.
Old 2008-10-09, 10:09   Link #65
TrueKnight

My eeeeyes x_X

Hillarious and awesome OP. Bizarre aerobic ED. It won't come out from my head at the moment.

Weird show overall, I'm gonna give this a shot 2 eps more or so...
Old 2008-10-09, 10:14   Link #66
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

You can easily see where the money went on this one. But HAL have a good batting adverage..
Old 2008-10-09, 11:15   Link #67
Nerroth
NePoi!

Just checked out the sub - not too bad, actually!

Poor St. Peter... um, I mean Sanpeita.
Old 2008-10-09, 12:27   Link #68
Nerroth
NePoi!

Spoiler for onna:

Spoiler for no onna:

Spoiler for darake noooooooooo!:

Be doo be doo be doooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old 2008-10-09, 13:32   Link #69
JediNight
キズランダム

Well the director is responsible for Jungle Guu, as well as work on Shin-chan and a couple other crack anime shows, so I think it's in good hands

Lots of parodies in this one. From Kemeko being a parody of Asuka's plug suit from Eva, to the FLCL vibes and the tachikoma ripoffs. Kemeko of course reminds me of Guu's blob-like look, but I can't really attribute that to the director, since this was a manga before.

And ahh .... Sanpeita = St. Peter? That makes sense. I was wondering what the joke behind his name is. He will need the patience of St. Peter to deal with all the craziness?
Old 2008-10-09, 15:32   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Spoiler for onna:

Spoiler for no onna:

Spoiler for darake noooooooooo!:

Be doo be doo be doooooooooooooooooooooooo!
...................... of course, now I have to watch the thing animated.. .dammit .... 0~o
Old 2008-10-09, 16:28   Link #71
Nerroth
NePoi!

Bwahaaaa!

I will say that the St. Peter thing is just a guess - I have no idea if it has any relevance to the anime or manga.
Old 2008-10-09, 18:53   Link #72
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I liked it. It wasn't anything special, but it kept me entertained. And for some reason, I like the voice of Kemeko herself more than the girl inside. OP was cute and funny too.
Old 2008-10-09, 19:03   Link #73
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I liked it. It wasn't anything special, but it kept me entertained. And for some reason, I like the voice of Kemeko herself more than the girl inside.
aha
heheh

I only saw the body and I really did not recognize the voice at all.
It is like "arghs wtf oh no hell, someone kill me please or make me blind"
Okay it is not soooo worse but I am starting to get a little bit gay.
Hopefully the other chars will help me to stay "normal" ... am I normal?
Old 2008-10-09, 19:35   Link #74
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
Actually, I have no goddamn idea on what I just watched.

...this is AWESOME.

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Old 2008-10-09, 21:58   Link #75
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, that made me genuinely laugh harder than anything else I've seen this season, that's for sure.
Old 2008-10-10, 00:01   Link #76
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
This kind of animated action is exactly what Kemeko needed to have life breathed into it. Seeing Kemeko battle in fluid motion is glorious, and it seems to be exactly what Kemeko should have been from the very beginning. The transitionary scenes are genius and perfectly in place, make for a smooth presentation, and highlight the absurdity nicely. The voices are magnificently appropriate and expressive.

However, the transition really isn't all roses.

The story itself doesn't seem to be much adapted, but instead seems to be a telling just as it happened in the manga plus some lethargic in-betweens. The anime just can't get away with being as disjointed as the manga, so the whole thing suffers and some of the shock at the ridiculousness is lost. Fortunately, I think that could be fixed by the next episode.

The character design changes here lose a LOT of charm, and often make me wonder if the oversimplification was necessary. Sanpeita no longer looks like a scruffy boy, but a cross between Son Gohan and Sora's little brother in Sketchbook. M.M. and Izumi's hair that wraps around their cheeks makes look like they have mutton chop sideburns.

Eclipsing all this, though, is the hypersexualization of this adaptation. There was some fanservice and subtle sexual reference in the original, but it's been amplified about a thousand times, and lost all its taste. What was charming, cute, and subtle in the manga is now blatant and unappealing (well, that seems to go for any such scene from the manga, sexual tones or not--ie, Izumi describing her "dream"). Attention, HAL: It's not funny or cute if it's shoved into your face. It's less funny if it's shoved into your face endlessly. The newly-exaggerated figures I can accept, but things like the panty flashing in the OP, the transfer-student supposed image, Misaki's expressions of her "interests" (or her depiction in the OP)... all two steps too far for this show. Even the ED, which would be funny out of the context of the earlier overdone sexuality, still manages to go two steps too far, itself, with the light source at the end.
I see what they're trying to do with all this, and it's not working.

With so much done so right and yet a few very noticeable things done so wrong, I don't know quite what to think overall.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2008-10-10, 01:14   Link #77
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Eclipsing all this, though, is the hypersexualization of this adaptation. There was some fanservice and subtle sexual reference in the original, but it's been amplified about a thousand times, and lost all its taste. What was charming, cute, and subtle in the manga is now blatant and unappealing (well, that seems to go for any such scene from the manga, sexual tones or not--ie, Izumi describing her "dream"). Attention, HAL: It's not funny or cute if it's shoved into your face. It's less funny if it's shoved into your face endlessly. The newly-exaggerated figures I can accept, but things like the panty flashing in the OP, the transfer-student supposed image, Misaki's expressions of her "interests" (or her depiction in the OP)... all two steps too far for this show. Even the ED, which would be funny out of the context of the earlier overdone sexuality, still manages to go two steps too far, itself, with the light source at the end.
I see what they're trying to do with all this, and it's not working.
If it was 1000x worse then the manga must have made Walt Disney movies seem X-rated

But seriously I didn't even notice much fanservice at all besides the alien chicks costume and that wasn't really a big deal IMO, I've seen bikinis that were much worse. Maybe I'm just immune to fanservice and missed it all or something
Old 2008-10-10, 02:51   Link #78
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
I'm going to give this show a pass. There's just something about it that violates my sensibilities about what a good show should be, and this episode was just chock full of over-the-top ridiculousness that I can't really stomach it. After those 20 minutes, I couldn't find myself caring for the characters, didn't see much promise as far as plot goes, and the comedy was just awful. It's one of the few shows that have gone to the "dropped" bin so quickly.

It'd be something else if the jokes were actually funny, but I have a sinking feeling that this show's purpose is to see how far they can toe the line without violating people's sense of decency, and they crossed the line with me.
Old 2008-10-10, 04:25   Link #79
bran
h e a d s h o t

kemeko is so fun
i lol everytime i see it onscreen
reminds me of asuka's plug suit
maybe cause it's red lol

Farewell...and thank you.
Old 2008-10-10, 04:46   Link #80
Onibur
(ಠ_ಠ)

^Yeah it reminded me of asuka's plug suit aswell but, I find kemeko to be really disturbing for some reason.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, hal film maker, romance, shounen