Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-08-24, 01:53   Link #81
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
For the record, what is a tsundere again?
A Tsundere character is cold and blunt. Basically she is cold to the main character at first, but she becomes lovestruck later.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 03:26   Link #82
salv87
Can't think of a title^_^

B-M here's the answer tsundere..

Kagami~n, who said that Horo was tsundere?? If you're referring to mypost earlier, then that word was used for Youko from the Inukami anime.. I't just Horo was similar in her looks (well the big fluffy tail actually), but not the character..
I wouldn't be able to call Horo tsundere.. I think it would be a crime to lower such a complex character to one word..
salv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 18:04   Link #83
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
Quote:
Originally Posted by salv87 View Post
B-M here's the answer tsundere..

Kagami~n, who said that Horo was tsundere?? If you're referring to mypost earlier, then that word was used for Youko from the Inukami anime.. I't just Horo was similar in her looks (well the big fluffy tail actually), but not the character..
I wouldn't be able to call Horo tsundere.. I think it would be a crime to lower such a complex character to one word..
Someone earlier in this thread (not you) said it, and a blog that I can't remember the name of called Horo the coolest tsundere they'd seen, along with a screencap of her pouting with the caption "tsuntsun!"

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely on the matter. I just want to know where people get the idea that she's a "moe tsundere" in the first place. In her case, I just find it degrading.
Kagami~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 18:12   Link #84
salv87
Can't think of a title^_^

Seeing as there are terms not everybody is familiar with (for example B-M and the word tsundere), some people tend to use it without understanding it (that's a big plus for B-M, showing that he's not like that ^_^ ).. I guess that maybe it was smth like a fashion to call all the characters tsundere..
I don't actually understand calling cahracters moe.. since the original meaning for moe was such.. So naming a character - moe, is out of my reach ^_^
salv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 22:26   Link #85
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye... most of these labels are just gross mischaracterizations or massive oversimplifications.
Old 2008-08-27, 13:35   Link #86
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Actually tsundere became such an wide term taht it barrely tells anything...There are cold Tsunderes , there are hotblooded ones there, are the always tsuntsun tsunderes and almost always derdere ones...

Basically I could put Horo under the term tsundere, but she is very far from stereotypical original tsundere image.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 21:39   Link #87
Lightly_Toasted

Her smile is just to irresistible...

Taken from avy request thread
Lightly_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 16:12   Link #88
Georget

Quote:
Originally Posted by some Anon on /a/
Do u think Horo is virgin?

-shes like 1000 years old
-wolves in pack likes to f***(have sex) with each other
-slutty personality
-likes to tease/play wtih men
-likes to walk around naked
What do u think?

Theres no clue in anime, so i thought if someone who read the novels could tell if theres any mention about it?
Georget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 19:36   Link #89
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georget View Post
What do u think?
Quote:
Do u think Horo is virgin?
-shes like 1000 years old
-wolves in pack likes to f***(have sex) with each other
-slutty personality
-likes to tease/play wtih men
-likes to walk around naked
Theres no clue in anime, so i thought if someone who read the novels could tell if theres any mention about it?
I'm getting really really tired of this particular question in various threads. The fast correct answer is "WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE CARE?"

1) she's not 1000, she's younger - only 750 or so. The listmaker didn't do their research.
2) whoever wrote this list has no damned idea how wolves in packs relate to each other -- it is an incorrect premise so it fails.
3) whoever wrote this list has no social life to call Horo's personality "slutty" -- since when is being entertaining, witty, and attractive .. slutty? The listmaker must not know any women.
4) she's adept at flirting and verbal jousting in a feminine way... so? again, whoever made the list appears to be clueless about females... or adults maybe.
5) She's a goddess --- many goddesses don't bother with clothes (see mythology). Again, whoever came up with this list fails at life or is a prude.

The novels say nothing about her prior romantic life. There was a young man hundreds of years before who enticed her to stay near the village and be the goddess of the harvest. She obviously cared for him --- but nothing is said about whether they shared any physical relationship or not. She belonged to a demi-god wolfpack before that - no information provided there either. This sort of question literally is irrelevant --- what, is someone going kick a 750 yr old wolf goddess out of their bed because it isn't her first time? If its going to change someone's opinion of her - then they have their own baggage to sort through: Stupidity, misogyny, and arrogance all in one box

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-02-02 at 22:11.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 23:23   Link #90
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
"WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE CARE?"
Because 2D character virginity, like moe, is SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do have to admit that Horo's age made me think Lawrence may not be her first love, but I find the rest of the argument pretty weak. Horo is a flirt, not a slut. And the nudity? It usually made sense in context, even if she didn't seem to be very modest about it.

Either way, I applaud the author's decision not to pull some "her clothes transform with her" routine. That ruins everybody's fun, and it's why I intend to follow his lead if I ever put characters capable of such shapeshifting in my stories.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 23:42   Link #91
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You'll have to forgive me... I suppose the proper response to a question like that is, "Why? Are you a virgin? Not relevant? Right you are."

Aye... the young mutant woman in X-men (Mystique) had that absurd "clothes part of me" thing going. Goddesses appear in the nude often in literature.... hey, they're goddesses.

Frankly, I'd be stunned if Horo were actually a virgin but, as I say, it is totally irrelevant - and I'm pretty sure Lawrence doesn't care.
Old 2009-02-03, 02:00   Link #92
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
"Why? Are you a virgin? Not relevant? Right you are."
You know, I know what you probably meant, but "right you are" in this context is just plain funny. Although to really give it that meaning, you would have had to have thrown in a comma after the "right", which would be too obvious.

Quote:
Aye... the young mutant woman in X-men (Mystique) had that absurd "clothes part of me" thing going. Goddesses appear in the nude often in literature.... hey, they're goddesses.
More important than literary precedent, the nudity just worked so well in Spice and Wolf. Combined with the blue lighting it gave Horo's introduction a very otherwordly quality to it, at least for me.

Quote:
Frankly, I'd be stunned if Horo were actually a virgin but, as I say, it is totally irrelevant - and I'm pretty sure Lawrence doesn't care.
I think the focus on her virginity is a bit much, but I'm actually quite interested in Horo's past, including her relationships. How did 700 years worth of experiences shape her?

(At least Horo's personality seems to flow logically from what we know from her past. Much as I loved Sola's Matsuri, part of me always felt she was acting the age she looked, not the age she was.)
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 11:48   Link #93
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Just on a side note - Wolves are not dogs..

Meaning if one has a mate then it is for life. Wolves are actually much more faithful than humans in that respect. So whoever wrote that list is definitely wrong about 'wolves in their packs like to have sex with each other' and is absolutely ignorant of what wolves are.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 23:08   Link #94
RayzorFang
APRIL APRIL APRIL

Couldn't have said it better myself Darknemo2000, wolves are completely separate from dogs, they have their hierarchy and many social patterns that they follow. Basically in packs only the alpha male and alpha female mate so it wouldn't surprise me if Horo wasn't a virgin since we know what a supreme being she is.
I agree with Vexx i don't think that it's really important whether she is a virgin or not and Lawrence probably doesn't give it much thought, he is probably just treasuring every moment he can spend with her.
On the note about the nudity i think it would just feel normal for her to walk around like that since she doesn't wear clothes in her wolf form so why would she when she is in human form. Though i'm not sure we should refer to her as an actual goddess didn't she say she was just a big wolf? I'm sure i read that somewhere, although her knowledge of living things and affinity with wheat begs to differ.
RayzorFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 23:11   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Horo's view is that she's Horo.. she is what she is ("a wise wolf"). It is other people who feel compelled to apply labels to her.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-02-03 at 23:22.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 11:42   Link #96
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Has it occurred to anyone he might be trolling?
Old 2009-02-04, 11:51   Link #97
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
Has it occurred to anyone he might be trolling?
First thing I thought when I read that was, "Don't feed the troll"...
RampagingEvangelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 14:28   Link #98
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Meh, its been completely picked apart and shredded by the cross-examination ... I do notice its been the one and only post in the entire forum so far from the account....
Old 2009-02-04, 23:30   Link #99
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Meh, its been completely picked apart and shredded by the cross-examination ... I do notice its been the one and only post in the entire forum so far from the account....
I found it being shredded up entertaining enough. If it was a troll post at least the person got quickly taken down.

From my personal view it really doesn't matter. Regardless she's been isolated from interacting with others for quite some time now. So just a good thing for her to run into Lawrence and get to travel back north.
Old 2009-02-04, 23:46   Link #100
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I highly recommend people read the translation project volume 1 --- it lays out the nature of their initial relationship pretty clearly, Horo's complex feelings, Lawrence's internal monolog, etc.

He's thought through the angles, but there's one bullet item on his list where he thinks it'll be nice to sleep next to someone that cuddly looking (even if sex isn't involved). He is alone so much traveling that just the companionship is desirable.

They both enter this arrangement with eyes pretty wide open (though Lawrence is foggier on the ramifications into the future ). Wonderfully practical and "grown up"...