AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 39 21.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 16.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 46 25.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 35 19.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 9.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 3.37%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-15, 02:21   Link #241
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
It's like everything that made the first season so enjoyable is everything they decided to stay away from in the second.
You mean consistency of art style used? I don't think the studio really cares that much anymore haha (ironic, given that this IS KyoAni). Because, when you think of it, the new art style will REALLY stand out when you compare it to the older episodes.

I'm the type that just shrugs at things like this, but a more casual watcher might scream bloody murder at the style shift.

Also, Kadokawa? Remember them? The ones that Must Be Hated?
Old 2009-08-15, 02:42   Link #242
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Wait... that scene was supposed to be Haruhi flirting? Could've fooled me.
When it comes to admitting she likes Kyon... yeah, Haruhi is like that.

Past examples involving Kyon:
1) Her ponytail at the end of the Melancholy arc (pretty easy to understand that one right?)

2) Changing into the Bunny Girl outfit the second time (she saw Mikuru rubbing up on Kyon, pure jealousy there...)

3) The scene where Kyon "deletes" the Mikuru image gallery (Haruhi suddenly gets up from her chair, behind Kyon, clearly upset... she knows what Kyon did with those pics... I don't recall this scene in the LN but it was a nice touch in the anime)

4) The Boredom episode (baseball) where Haruhi and Mikuru get dressed up as cheerleaders. (She wonders if a ponytail would look better on Mikuru, glances at Kyon and notices he's looking at Mikuru... clearly upset she give up on the idea...)

5) There are more... many more in the LNs but I'm tired and spoilers are a hassle.
Old 2009-08-15, 02:48   Link #243
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Notice that 2-4 involve Mikuru. Now, think of how the scene started.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-15, 02:52   Link #244
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
WESTERN otaku community. A great many people on this side of the Pacific despised K-On.

I don't think that many of the real otaku did.
And the greater half of these guys hated it just for the sole reason of delaying Haruhi S2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
...So are you saying that this is common in Japan? Because, again, this is very weird (and doesn't come across good at all) to most westerners.
Being more open minded is a good trait. The world is not all about those Americans -- though they surely think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
I really like Saki's art. It has character designs that appeals to me, and fairly consistent quality. Granted, the characters are still moeblobs... but they're well drawn moeblobs.
Do I need to mention the boob shot of a certain character early on in the series? Granted, I'm not following Saki (and I don't know much about it aside from the fact that they're a strong faction in SaiMoe this year -- meaning I'll be watching it soon) so I can't give screens, but I'm sure there are more...

----------

On to the ep itself:

Rewatched with subs. A few minor things I missed in the stream:
  • Kyon's first person view, complete with subtly shaking camera.
  • Mikuru blinking in the far background (more visible hopefully with higher quality videos).

There was also more blinking this time. Hopefully, we can return to 2006-level "blink spam" soon.
Old 2009-08-15, 03:07   Link #245
Jintor

(re: the Tea Event Horizon) It's possibly both at the same time. That kind of behaviour is (or seems to be, in my view) how Haruhi 'flirts' with Kyon, and at the same time it's Haruhi doing her troper thing. Obviously she hasn't thought it through like Konata has, though...
Old 2009-08-15, 03:11   Link #246
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Do I need to mention the boob shot of a certain character early on in the series? Granted, I'm not following Saki (and I don't know much about it aside from the fact that they're a strong faction in SaiMoe this year -- meaning I'll be watching it soon) so I can't give screens, but I'm sure there are more...
I couldn't watch Saki... the effects and drama of the Majhong antics where boarder-line parody... I swear I was watching a parody of all the crazy card/dice/top/etc shows... If it is a parody, then I take it all back, but I don't think it is.
Old 2009-08-15, 03:40   Link #247
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
I couldn't watch Saki... the effects and drama of the Majhong antics where boarder-line parody... I swear I was watching a parody of all the crazy card/dice/top/etc shows... If it is a parody, then I take it all back, but I don't think it is.
Hmmm... From an outsider's perspective, I can't really say anything. Popular SaiMoe shows have always surprised me in the past, however (Rozen Maiden, Nanoha and Higurashi to name a few).

And, to keep on topic, I don't see what's so wrong about the tea scene. It's not even implied to be that sinister. Seriously, if I had no clue as to what they were talking about, I would have thought Haruhi was just teaching Mikuru how to better serve tea.
Old 2009-08-15, 05:28   Link #248
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

This episode wasn't enough entertaining . The design was worse than the other episodes . Dunno what happens . Maybe they are tired ...
Old 2009-08-15, 06:57   Link #249
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

I really liked this one, specially because it's the preparations for my favorite episode ever in the series, which is the movie. I'm really looking forward to see how Haruhi got the equipment. I can't believe they gave it to her just because of the ads in the movie.

Either way, a nice episode. I'll give it a 7.

Ah, yeah. The first time i watched the train scene, i thought Mio from K-on was in it, but it turned out it was just another girl... Damn. I love crossovers.
Old 2009-08-15, 07:06   Link #250
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post

Being more open minded is a good trait.
Being open minded is what I was trying to do.

...Perhaps my question of "Is this kind of teasing common in Japan?" came across as rhetorical mocking. If so, I can assure you, it was not - it was a serious question.

If somebody had answered "Yes, this kind of teasing is common in Japan", then fine, then I accept this has Haruhi flirting with Kyon. I have no problem accepting how a particular situation in one country can be very differently interpreted than the same situation in another country (for example, Yamakan's apology over Endless Eight is received very differently between Japanese audiences, and western audiences, for cultural reasons, and I completely accept that).
Old 2009-08-15, 07:19   Link #251
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Hu...
She's been all that, and much worse, during the whole first season...
Were you asleep or what ? She's just at their typical herself before her "mellowing".
Completly agree. The tea scene was just another part of Haruhi and Kyon testing eachother, nothing extreme by the series standards.

Haruhi remains the lovable amoral engine of destruction she always is. Very refreshing in this time with many emo main characters full of self doubts.

I like to compare Haruhi and Kyon to Holo and Lawrence of Spice and Wolf. Very similar relationships with confidant strong female main characters but the interaction is completly different.

Haruhi is a masculine character. Part of the fun of this anime is the role reversal of male and female with Haruhi pushing Kyon the tsundere far futher then the public would allow if the genders were reversed. Holo on the other hand is very feminine and the interaction between her and Lawrence are more like verbal sparring and playing with each others emotions.
Old 2009-08-15, 07:59   Link #252
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I don't know why but Haruhi being Mikuru's pimpmommy/bughaw is funny in any shape and form everytime.

Other than that... pretty average episode.
Old 2009-08-15, 08:06   Link #253
stubby42

It was a nice episode, though I cant help but feel sorry for Mikuru and its kind of funny that she bought on the waitress costume by herself.
Old 2009-08-15, 08:20   Link #254
Bri

Quote:
If somebody had answered "Yes, this kind of teasing is common in Japan", then fine, then I accept this has Haruhi flirting with Kyon. I have no problem accepting how a particular situation in one country can be very differently interpreted than the same situation in another country (for example, Yamakan's apology over Endless Eight is received very differently between Japanese audiences, and western audiences, for cultural reasons, and I completely accept that).
It might also help if you didn't equate North American to western audiences. There are vast differences in cultures and tastes along the western countries.
Old 2009-08-15, 08:21   Link #255
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
the episode over all was nice and the plot is starting to shape up for the movie
but i cant shake the sense that that animation quality dropped sharply this ep
almost the entire club room scene seemed to lack a certain "life" to it that just took back from the ep
it wasnt bad by any strech (its stll better then most other works)
but it wasnt up to standard, and reminded my far too much of K-on (i loved K-on, but its not on the same measurement scale)
haruhi in praticular looks too much like yui
Old 2009-08-15, 08:21   Link #256
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Haruhi remains the lovable amoral engine of destruction she always is.
Well, I would leave out the "lovable" though ^^
Old 2009-08-15, 08:37   Link #257
fishy_hylian
I'm ga-vomiting

Quote:
...Perhaps my question of "Is this kind of teasing common in Japan?" came across as rhetorical mocking. If so, I can assure you, it was not - it was a serious question.

I just want to point out that this form of teasing isn't a culture thing at all =o='
And I wouldn't say it's relatively common in Japan or otherwise.

I'm British and I do this sort of thing to my friends all the time. It's also how I flirt without actually flirting, if you get me? I won't bore you with examples =o='
I don't know why I do it! It always annoys people 8D! It's a compulsion.

It's hard to say how it related to Haruhi, however - She starts of glacing at him mischeviously, which leads me to believe she's just being playful, and she sort of does just let Kyon take the tea without much fuss so... I'm inclined to agree to be fair
Old 2009-08-15, 09:18   Link #258
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy_hylian View Post
I just want to point out that this form of teasing isn't a culture thing at all =o='
And I wouldn't say it's relatively common in Japan or otherwise.

I'm British and I do this sort of thing to my friends all the time. It's also how I flirt without actually flirting, if you get me? I won't bore you with examples =o='
I don't know why I do it! It always annoys people 8D! It's a compulsion.

It's hard to say how it related to Haruhi, however - She starts of glacing at him mischeviously, which leads me to believe she's just being playful, and she sort of does just let Kyon take the tea without much fuss so... I'm inclined to agree to be fair
Thanks for sharing.

...Perhaps this type of thing is more common (in general) than I thought. This episode here is the first time (in real life or fiction) that I've seen a command/threat of pouring a hot beverage on someone as possibly being a form of flirting.

In re-watching the scene, I did take notice of Haruhi's two or three mischievious glances at Kyon, which certainly came across as playful, but she did say before "I'm not joking, Kyon! I'm always serious!"... perhaps that was just Haruhi being a good actor, though. It struck me as dead serious first watch through, though. I've always tended to think of Haruhi as a character that only says what she means... but maybe that's not always the case.

Anyway, that's probably my last word on the scene. I just felt like I should explain where I was coming from on it.
Old 2009-08-15, 09:25   Link #259
Akka

What makes it difficult to definitely know one way or the other, is that Haruhi is the kind of person who would actually find it funny to spill tea on others.

So she, in fact, throw mischevious glances at Kyon, but her being playful doesn't mean that she will NOT do it.
Old 2009-08-15, 10:49   Link #260
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
You mean consistency of art style used?
Hell no, I usually don't care about that.

I'm talking about EVERYTHING else. The plot. How it was aired. Everything. Think about the sheer amount of content we got in just 13 episodes, and look where we're at now. It's mind boggling.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Closed Thread