AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-03-22, 05:11   Link #1281
bio9205
Reborn

I still don't think anything can beat Episode 4's B-Bird - but bring it on!

Less than 2 months to Episode 5!
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 05:29   Link #1282
casval cehack

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
They're clearly trying different styles. Curiously, Kylee was also in X'amd.
Old 2012-03-22, 05:53   Link #1283
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
the teaser is out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGmUs7xmVzI
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 06:28   Link #1284
casval cehack

So Kai Shinden is also in this episode.
Old 2012-03-22, 07:26   Link #1285
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
a much better video

http://youtu.be/vxsnpMVuHLY
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 07:57   Link #1286
bio9205
Reborn

HOLY UNICORNS I CAN'T WAIT

Boy, that song sucks. Couldn't really tell much on what's going on from that video, but nice to see something nonetheless.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 14:31   Link #1287
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Who noticed Kai Shiden in the preview? Wonder what he's up to this time and if it involves rescuing would be traitors in jungle environments.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 18:44   Link #1288
PzIVf3

Boom boom satellite.....my head hurts.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 21:23   Link #1289
rakusukira

Looks like riddhe's gonna get dumped again
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 23:01   Link #1290
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

I look greatly forward to seeing the Banshee in combat. Personally, I feel that B-Bird is probably a better song than Boom boom satellite. There is a possibility I may grow to like it, but we'll see.
teh_nubkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 06:02   Link #1291
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Something I'm just somewhat curious about the series.

Spoiler for about Laplaces Box:
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 06:15   Link #1292
Sumeragi
Banned

Spoiler for My thoughts:
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 06:52   Link #1293
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Well. I'm not sure about how most Spacenoids think. But I'm sure there is more than a minority which feels that the responsibility for all the atrocities and tragedies lie with the Federation. A Spacenoid can easily rationalise Zeon's massarces in the One Year War as "for the greater good". Besides, if Zeon didn't nuke the colonies, they might not have levelled the field with the Federation, and might not have lasted for so long in a war with their resource-rich enemies. Though it's possible many Spacenoids also scorn Zeon's methods, but nonetheless, many could still see Zeon as the "lesser evil", and thus rather cooperate with Zeon than with the Federation.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 07:01   Link #1294
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Spoiler for My thoughts:
Spoiler for thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
Well. I'm not sure about how most Spacenoids think. But I'm sure there is more than a minority which feels that the responsibility for all the atrocities and tragedies lie with the Federation. A Spacenoid can easily rationalise Zeon's massarces in the One Year War as "for the greater good". Besides, if Zeon didn't nuke the colonies, they might not have levelled the field with the Federation, and might not have lasted for so long in a war with their resource-rich enemies. Though it's possible many Spacenoids also scorn Zeon's methods, but nonetheless, many could still see Zeon as the "lesser evil", and thus rather cooperate with Zeon than with the Federation.
That MIGHT make sense if the majority of the people Zeon killed weren't other Spacenoids, and the destruction wasn't so overwhelming. It's easy to rationalize other people being mass murdered in the name of the greater good. It's much harder when you realize you're the target, and that statistically speaking your survival of the first month of the war was based on a coin toss (heads you're the 50% that die, tails 50% that lived).

People operate out of self interest. They're not going to rationalize the actions of a group that caused such an unprecedented level of harm against them. Humans just aren't that idealistic.

edit:I think a good example to look to would be China's perception of Japan after WW2. China certainly didn't appreciate or try to justify what Japan did in their country in the name of anti colonialism. Even to this day anti Japanese sentiment is a fairly substantial issue in China, and it's been over 70 years since the war ended.

This might in fact be a reason why anti-Zeon sentiment amongst Spacenoids doesn't get addressed that much in Gundam. It hits a bit to close to home on current sensitive political issues.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-03-23 at 07:25.
Old 2012-03-23, 15:35   Link #1295
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
HOLY UNICORNS I CAN'T WAIT

Boy, that song sucks. Couldn't really tell much on what's going on from that video, but nice to see something nonetheless.
Y'know, I thought this techno lounge kind of music fits the show rather well, much better than the previous theme songs I've heard so far.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 04:10   Link #1296
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That MIGHT make sense if the majority of the people Zeon killed weren't other Spacenoids, and the destruction wasn't so overwhelming. It's easy to rationalize other people being mass murdered in the name of the greater good. It's much harder when you realize you're the target, and that statistically speaking your survival of the first month of the war was based on a coin toss (heads you're the 50% that die, tails 50% that lived).

People operate out of self interest. They're not going to rationalize the actions of a group that caused such an unprecedented level of harm against them. Humans just aren't that idealistic.

edit:I think a good example to look to would be China's perception of Japan after WW2. China certainly didn't appreciate or try to justify what Japan did in their country in the name of anti colonialism. Even to this day anti Japanese sentiment is a fairly substantial issue in China, and it's been over 70 years since the war ended.

This might in fact be a reason why anti-Zeon sentiment amongst Spacenoids doesn't get addressed that much in Gundam. It hits a bit to close to home on current sensitive political issues.
I have been fairly nuanced in my post, yet I still got bombarded like this..

You made a false comparison. Anti-colonialism was hardly the focus of any Japanese war campaign. In fact, it was merely propaganda in order to attract support from Asian nationalists. This hypocrisy merely hardened Chinese sentiments and escalated their historical discourse, which stretched to centuries and millenia. On the other hand, Zeon under the Zabis were genuinely interested and capable of achieving independence for Spacenoids. Yes, I understand that they killed innocent Spacenoids, despite their supposed intentions, that's why I acknowledged that many probably feel resentment towards the Zeon. But with time, and regime change, people still end up seeing Zeon as the only source of inspiration and hope against the die-hard Federation. In Unicorn episode 2, Marida herself said that many Spacenoids cling unto Zeon because there is no alternative to an active military and political movement pursuing Spacenoid independence.
Old 2012-03-24, 04:32   Link #1297
Sumeragi
Banned

To say this simply: Currently the Spacenoids have only armed resistance or complete subjection as choices. Laplace's Box gives a third alternative by striking at the heart of the Federation's political system. That is why it's important.
Old 2012-03-24, 08:42   Link #1298
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I have been fairly nuanced in my post, yet I still got bombarded like this..

You made a false comparison. Anti-colonialism was hardly the focus of any Japanese war campaign. In fact, it was merely propaganda in order to attract support from Asian nationalists. This hypocrisy merely hardened Chinese sentiments and escalated their historical discourse, which stretched to centuries and millenia. On the other hand, Zeon under the Zabis were genuinely interested and capable of achieving independence for Spacenoids.
Why is it a false comparison? The Zabi's were dictators, and the primary reason they wanted to destroy Federation Hegemony was so that it could be replaced with Zabi Hegemony. How would Spacenoids be anymore free under dictators than corrupt democratic politicians?
Quote:
Yes, I understand that they killed innocent Spacenoids, despite their supposed intentions, that's why I acknowledged that many probably feel resentment towards the Zeon.
The Zeon killed billions of Spacenoids. Suppose if tomorrow I pressed a button and killed every single person in China and India combined? Still a lower body count than what Zeon racked up in the first month of the war.

"Resentment" seems like somewhat of an understatement.
Old 2012-03-25, 07:01   Link #1299
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Why is it a false comparison? The Zabi's were dictators, and the primary reason they wanted to destroy Federation Hegemony was so that it could be replaced with Zabi Hegemony. How would Spacenoids be anymore free under dictators than corrupt democratic politicians?

The Zeon killed billions of Spacenoids. Suppose if tomorrow I pressed a button and killed every single person in China and India combined? Still a lower body count than what Zeon racked up in the first month of the war.

"Resentment" seems like somewhat of an understatement.
Like I said before, who other than the Zabis can hold the banner for Spacenoid independence? In the One Year War, there was no alternative power. To the Spacenoids, probably, it's not a matter of dictatorship or not, authoritarian rule or democracy, but a matter of worlds of being ruled under people that don't understand space, and people who can empathise with their sufferings. And if the Spacenoids so yearn for democracy, they should realise that despite Zeon's streak of authoritarianism, they can use democracy to topple the Zabis after their victory.

I want to repeat: this is my opinion, it doesn't reflect the views of all, most, some or even one Spacenoid.
Old 2012-03-25, 09:19   Link #1300
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
You probably don't know what happened before the rise of Zeon Zum Deikun. Basically, the Federation were shipping the lower echelon of society into space, giving them no representation, crushing any dissent with military force, etc. Under the Zabis they at least had a sense of getting any sort of true representation (even if it was a farce); under the Federation, they were truly just colonies being exploited.

In a sense, Zeon is a combination of the American Revolution, Occupied China, and Nazi Germany. They are fighting for freedom against those that do not give them representation, they are fighting against an occupying force who is not reluctant to use violence to enforce subjection, and they gathered around a dictatorship to bring about freedom and eventually, hegemony. This isn't as morally unambiguous as World War II, this is basically a conflict between two extremely bad alternatives.