AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2015-02-19, 21:05   Link #1
sphiratrioth666

Exclamation Any REALLY badass/kicking ass hero??

Hey, I know that there're many similar topics here but this one will be really different so I think it deserves its place as separated thread. Well, after watching a few series with so said "powerfull" main characters (like bleach, darker than black, trinity blood etc.) I still feel very disappointed. I mean all of them are theoretically powerfull, yeah, yeah but as I see it - they're mostly childish, psychically unstable, in depression, without control, they like to pitty themselves or they just do not have any, any, any style at all. They all have got such a great potential but it's totally wasted... It makes me frustrated. That's why I'm searching for some good suggestions of the anime series with REALLY badass main character. And what I perceive enough badass?? For me it's something like Galen Marek from Star Wars the Force Unleashed game or when I think about anime... Surely Dante from Devil May Cry - with no problems, full of self esteem and power, full of style and distance to everything, amazing warrior and just a good man, never gets really hit or when it happens it just makes him stronger (let's face that being pierced by his own sword/crucified isn't anything horrible for him - it happens in every game etc, he's used to it :-D). The same with Alucard from Helsing. Both very similar characters for me. Or even better would be the ice guy from darker than black - November 11/Jack Simon. He's powerfull, smart, he just has a lot of style. So to put it clearly - I'm not looking for typical scenario when the good guy has to suffer, loose, get beaten and surprisingly win the fight by extra power of good boost of hist mind. I'm not looking for heroes who get beaten even once - I need some animes with more Steven Seagal style. I mean the Seagal's style where from the first minute of 1st episode to the last final fight with most powerfull enemy, the main hero get's barelly scratched and goes through everything like butter, he's not psychically unstable, he's not emo, he could of course search for some redemption etc. but more like Galen Marek from SW:TFU. I'd be very glad if you help! Thanks in advance!
sphiratrioth666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-20, 01:27   Link #2
jedinat

Shura no Toki - first two stories (anime is made of up three arcs with different characters/setting)
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-20, 02:22   Link #3
larethian

OP, kind of shocked that you never heard of Mahouka or No Game No Life. Those 2 are viable choices if you have never watched them.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-20, 04:53   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

Does it have to be an action series? Because I think Akagi and One Outs both have the smart, cool, collected and ruthless (full of self-esteem, never gets hit, full of style, etc) hero you're looking for, but it's all played out through mahjong/baseball. Only thing is, they're not really 'good' people.
Old 2015-02-20, 09:43   Link #5
cleo

First thing that entered my mind is Jojo's bizarre adventure: Stardust crusaders, as Jotaro is as GAR as can be. However, Jojo's is a family chronicle. The first series might not have the untouchable MC's you'd like, but it's the history leading to the events in Stardust Crusaders.
Or maybe Kuroshitsuji. Imo Sebastian is as much MC as Ciel, and while Ciel has a troubled past etc., Sebastian is very much the MC you're looking for. Series 1 & 3 are very good (and follow the manga). Series 2 is anime-original, and while it's always fun to Sebastian in action, the story is all-over the place.

If you don't mind older series, you can try Golgo 13, about a sniper. It's highly episodic though.
And of course Fist of the North Star, packed with manly men.

Last edited by cleo; 2015-02-20 at 17:22.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-20, 18:10   Link #6
sphiratrioth666

Smile

Hah, thank you all very much. Now I really enjoy Mahouka and I'm going to try the other suggestions soon. Mahouka is just what I was looking for! The thing is that I'm just more into sword than anime in which field I always ask first so I've watched only the advised ones, not all of let's call it classics and must see titles. When I go to Akihabara or Ikebukuro in Tokyo I see all that thousands of thousands of thousands of totally unknown here in Europe, big otaku brands that I stopped searching by my own long, long ago. Can you suggest more similar characters with style?? I suppose it has to be action one, hahahaha. Once again, thank you very much, you were very helpful :-)
Old 2015-02-20, 19:18   Link #7
cleo

Your request is quite a challenge. In general the MC's of action series are teenagers faced with the occasional defeat/loss of loved ones with emo moments in order to grow and get stronger. There are of course series with cool MC's who outsmart everyone - like the ones Animefangirl mentioned - but you'll find them mostly in the game and/or psychological genre. Mahouka really is an exception in the genre, because a cool MC who can't lose simply isn't very popular, due to it's predictability.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-21, 01:30   Link #8
sayde

Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo - this is an incomplete series. The protagonist is also always confident and seems to toy with his opponents. I can't remember him losing or having a difficult time. It's more comical action-fantasy though. So it may not be up your alley if you're looking for "badass" characters only from anime with serious themes.

Kaze no Stigma - This is also an incomplete series but this one isn't as much of a comedy. It's been awhile since I've seen this, but I don't recall the protagonist struggling much in this one either.

There's plenty of other series out there to watch if you're willing to give the protagonists a little more leeway. For instance, Rurouni Kenshin's main character is a samurai who dominates all the time with the exception of a few characters who (for all intents and purposes) should've given him more trouble than usual. He never really loses though (except in a filler over halfway through the series). Same goes for Samurai Champloo's 2 samurai w/ completely contrasting sword styles (which was awesome!). I highly recommend this series if you don't mind a more episodic tale.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-21, 20:39   Link #9
sphiratrioth666

Smile

Well, a second thought after Mahouka and Black Butler which are both things I was just searching for and watched them with pleasure - maybe there're other series fitting my description of the MC but as they're simply powerfull demons, vampires, mages?? Similar to devil may cry, helsing, darker than black?? You know, stuff like gamers from no game, no life, sport anime etc. just doesn't hit my taste. I like lots of action, duels, mysterious heroes with double identity!!! From samurai connected topics, I've forgot to list ruroni kenshin as one of my favourite choices - hmm - I enjoy it very much - rather than all those child ninjas/packed with muscles pseudo fighters or pseudo demons. From the suggested ones Mahouka now totally outscores the rest, still watching the Black Butler. Any more like those?? Now I've realised that double/hidden identity revealed by mighty actions is yet a part of my whole concept of badass MC who never loses. Of course it's not necessary. Thank you very much once again :-)

EDIT: Those 2 incomplete from Sayde look nice as well, thank you!
Old 2015-02-21, 21:28   Link #10
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Yuuji from Grisaia no Kajitsu fits the description, though the show is primarily a romcom with action/thriller elements. Yuuji is physically strong, emotionally stable, and shows a certain cynicism towards human frailty that allows him to distance himself from other characters with emotional baggage in order to carry out what inevitably needs to be done.

If you do decide to watch Grisaia no Kajitsu, then don't drop the show after the first few episodes, because those are mostly laying out the groundwork. The later episodes are the ones that feature Yuuji's badass-ery.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-23, 18:53   Link #11
sphiratrioth666

Talking

Ooooook, well... Kaze no Stigma was amazingly good, Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo looks strange... And this... Grisaia no Kajitsu... Oh my god, what the heck was that?? :-D Jesus Christ, hahahaha, I don't know if I should laugh or cry, really, I mean thank you for your suggestion, I appreciate it but this show... It is totally weird and nooo... I've lasted enough to see all 13 episodes with his true badass'ery but it's not something I'm looking for, good character, yeah, well very good... However, the plot, I just do not have any words xD Hahahahaha xD What drugs did the maker take?? Really, even considering the genre... I get it's still best you can get from that genre but really, horrible xD Well, any other suggestions?? I'm recovering day by day so I've still got the time to watch one or two series. Thank you very much for your help :-)
Old 2015-02-23, 19:38   Link #12
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Perhaps Haguure Yuusha no Estetica. The MC is as badass Alpha as it gets, however the show also got an extreme amount of "Ecchiness", can even be considered borderline-H.
Old 2015-02-24, 17:48   Link #13
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
A couple of possibilities, though I'm not sure whether they'd fully fit what you're looking for:

Legend of the Legendary Heroes: technically also incomplete, especially where the anime ends, Ryner may want afternoon naps, but there's a reason why the Alpha Stigma (which he possesses) is feared by practically every single person

Ichiban Ushiro no Daimou: Akuto is really just trying to be a good guy... but he's destined to become the Demon King, and is quite strong when he uses his magic

Hm... there's also Darker than Black, which might be right up your alley, but avoid the second season at all costs (first season is Hei being badass, second is about a moe loli and is all bullshit)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 18:16   Link #14
sayde

If you're willing to give a movie a try, then check out Sword of the Stranger. Great animated action sequences, and the main character is a just a really nice and cool samurai who *spoiler alert* doesn't lose throughout the movie. It's honestly up there as one of the best anime movies I've ever seen.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-12, 19:09   Link #15
sphiratrioth666

Hey once again, could anyone suggest more now?? I've got some time and I'm in need of the same style anime, thanks in advance!
Old 2015-06-12, 19:54   Link #16
kirikawa
imouto destroyer

trinity seven - ultimate badass demon lord
seirei tsukai no blade dance - ultimate badass demon lord v2.0
absolute duo - powerful student guy, he's an "irregular"
hidan no aria - mc-kun is pretty badass and snarky
Old 2015-06-12, 20:11   Link #17
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Demon King Daimao, imo.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 13:15   Link #18
sphiratrioth666

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirikawa View Post
trinity seven - ultimate badass demon lord
seirei tsukai no blade dance - ultimate badass demon lord v2.0
absolute duo - powerful student guy, he's an "irregular"
hidan no aria - mc-kun is pretty badass and snarky
Well... In hidan no aria he isn't powerfull at all, there's only one scene in all the season when I could say that guy rocks - during incident in the 1st episode, killing... the riffle guns xD But all the rest, oh my god, what the hell?? xD Such an idiot and dumb guy. Same in absolute duo, it's quite better but the character resembles this kid from n.g.evangelion - cry, cry for your hard times in the past, do not believe in yourself and try to protect everyone... of course with the addition of boobs, being stereotypically afraid of women etc... Jesus christ. I wanna try trinity seven or seirei tsukai no blade dance but seing 1 guy and 5+ girls around him I quite loose my enthusiasm... If the MC has to be surounded by girls and boobs could he at least behave like CODE BREAKER or Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei or this guy who protected the daughter of previous demon lord - Hagure Yūsha no Estetica??

So once again, tnakn you all and I would be grateful for more suggestions!

BTW, sword of a stranger seems nice, quite like kenshin or Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan. I know they're different but you know what I mean.
Old 2015-07-08, 22:48   Link #19
sphiratrioth666

Hmm, could someone suggest anything more?? I've just seen all this demon lords/kings and I percieve them as totally not my style... For me, Kaze no Stigma, Mahouka something, Code Breaker etc. were amazing, still similar story happening at school etc. but more hmm... normal?? :-P I do not complain about all those ecchi/hentai feeling in those last suggestions, I just do not get the idea forced through all this demon king/lord - ecchi mentioned series - they all have some specific crazy/embarrassing/not funny nor serious feeling and at last but not least - this MC are not really powerfull! They're supposed to be, everyone says they are but I do not see it!! Please, give some more suggestions! Even this ecchi/hentai painted thing about a hero who killed the demon lord, returned to earth with his daughter etc. and protected her was nice (rogue hero something), totally different style from those ones and I liked it more than grisaia. Help please!
Old 2015-07-09, 15:23   Link #20
Tenzen12

Berserk
Black Lagoon
Gangsta
Gungrave
Orphen

Edit: for Berserk it might be better go for Golden age movies, as original anime is almost 20 years old and looks accordingly

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2015-07-10 at 07:19.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
badass, powerfull, strong