AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-01-04, 15:56   Link #21
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesAurivern View Post
Softsubs are better because they cannot be uploaded to youtube and the like.
OMFG win, I love how you turned that around :3. Usually the softsubs is all about "ohnoes mein text can be stolen".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempai
Now I have yet another reason to use it. It plays my videos. I have yet to get an mp4 working in there. And as far as I know the .h264s have not worked either.
Your troll attempts fall far short because of this. Guess what? Your shitty PS3 (as well as the Xbox360) had the ability to play H.264 video far before their ability to play DivX video, which they only recently added! Yes you need to try harder, and yes you are a newb if you couldn't figure that out on your own. I don't care where you were in 2000, probably still being as ignorant a douchebag as you are now. You couldn't tell the difference between a container format and a video format to save your life :P.

It is extremely easy to make H.264 MP4 videos for your PS3, there are only a few constraints. For audio afaik both systems (PS3 and Xbox360) still only support Stereo LC-AAC. No multichannel surround and no HE-AAC/etc. Next, the video must be encoded no higher then High Profile @ Level 4.1. Anything under that should work. And voila, videos which play on your PS3.

So since obvious troll is obvious (PS3/Xbox360 just got DivX support), you need to go jump off a cliff. Try to be a little more cunning next time.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 16:06   Link #22
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashyukun View Post
At the moment I'd prefer more groups learn what Title Safe means and position subs/titles/karaoke appropriately- I only know of one group that actively pays attention to it (there may be more). As someone who watches most of his fansubs on an older projection set with a lot of overscan, even 'legacy' DivX files have to be messed with because of subtitles getting cut off due to being well out of Title Safe.
But it's only a problem on CRT TV's, and anyone who's prefers watching on those to pretty much anything else needs to die a slow, horrible death. (Also, most stuff that can output to CRT monitors and isn't a DVD or VHS player can scale the entire video to be inside the viewable area. Overscan compensation. It's old technology.)

But if it makes you happy, Aegisub has had a (admittedly weak) overscan mask function for some time now that shows the approximate overscan area on the video preview. If you have lots of practical experience with overscan compensation perhaps you can help make it better...

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 16:56   Link #23
Akatsuker
Forever Espada
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
OMFG win, I love how you turned that around :3. Usually the softsubs is all about "ohnoes mein text can be stolen".

Your troll attempts fall far short because of this. Guess what? Your shitty PS3 (as well as the Xbox360) had the ability to play H.264 video far before their ability to play DivX video, which they only recently added! Yes you need to try harder, and yes you are a newb if you couldn't figure that out on your own. I don't care where you were in 2000, probably still being as ignorant a douchebag as you are now. You couldn't tell the difference between a container format and a video format to save your life :P.

It is extremely easy to make H.264 MP4 videos for your PS3, there are only a few constraints. For audio afaik both systems (PS3 and Xbox360) still only support Stereo LC-AAC. No multichannel surround and no HE-AAC/etc. Next, the video must be encoded no higher then High Profile @ Level 4.1. Anything under that should work. And voila, videos which play on your PS3.

So since obvious troll is obvious (PS3/Xbox360 just got DivX support), you need to go jump off a cliff. Try to be a little more cunning next time.
Very good, Nicholi. I didn't have most of this info, 'til now.
Akatsuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 18:09   Link #24
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
You know, I had to do some work on a DVD a while ago to a tape in work. So I shoved the DVD into the Ps3 that was there and turned on the 1080p display. You know, the DVD looked insanely CRAP. Tons of blocking everywhere, ringing, whatnot. I knew it wasn't really the encoder, as I know it'd been done on a solid as hell mpeg2 encoder. But all it was was that a 1080p display is simply not going to be nice to that sort of source. That and I swear the PS3 was adding edge enhancement somehow.

This makes me wonder... what would XVid fansubs look like on a 1080p display through a Ps3??!?!?!?!?!
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 18:24   Link #25
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]
Ok a simple fix for this whole problem. The ps3 officially supports linux. So install linux on it http://psubuntu.com/installation-instructions/

OMG now you can play ogm files too.
Old 2008-01-04, 22:08   Link #26
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot View Post
what would XVid fansubs look like on a 1080p display through a Ps3??!?!?!?!?!
Absolutely fantastic. Given the raw was actually captured 1080p to start with (not upconverted) and the disc only contains two episodes. Or maybe one.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 22:47   Link #27
Vicfred
free software enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Vicfred Send a message via Yahoo to Vicfred
i guess divx is getting avc as h264 so i think it isnt so useless as you think maybe it'll be back ;d
Vicfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 03:02   Link #28
LemonMunchies

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggen View Post
u know, the video will still look like crap on a big screen, it don't magically turn into HD.
If u were smart enough, you'd buy a cable and connect your PC to your TV and watch HD-releases on it instead, which are H264/Mkv 99% of the time.
judging from what you've said, you probably havent watch anything on a ps3 + HD tv yet
LemonMunchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 03:42   Link #29
juggen
Saizen Supreme
*Fansubber

I just meant not to expect freakin HD-quality just because u watch stuff through your blue-ray player and on a HDTV if the fansub res is say... 704x400.
Old 2008-01-05, 07:38   Link #30
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

If you have a HTPC, install MediaPortal. For me it works great together with CCCP and I can play anything: AVI, MP4 and MKV with support for chapters, multiple sub and audio tracks.
(Here is the thread I started about MediaPortal: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=18288)

I especially like MKV chapters. I didn't really notice/use them when I played anime on my PC using MPC, but with MediaPortal chapters (in MKV) make it really easy to skip opening and endings (just press "skip" on the remote). Chapters make watching fansubs just as convinient as navigating DVDs.

Hint to fansub groups: if you release MKV files, please put in chapters if you don't do so already. It only takes a few minutes (probably?!?) and while not a lot of people will make use of them, those that do will be gratefu for it.

Btw, I also have a PS3 and I must say fansubs look 500% better when watched through HTPC (connected with VGA cable) than on the PS3 for some reason. Plus the PS3 has overscan, which might cause issues with the subtitles in certain fansubs. Also if you're into series subbed by Dattebayo, you also have a problem.

And if you shop at the right place the IR-adapter + remote shouldn't cost to much. Heck, if you can afford a 42" 1080 plasma screen, PS3 and HTPC you can definately afford a damn remote!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880100851

Edit:
I did a further bit of testing, it seems a large part of the PS3 DivX quality problem was my TV's color saturation settings (which were way to high when HDMI input was selected). Still, the overscan problem remains. Plus 720p quality files look a lot less sharp as well (quite blurry actually). Capturing that last problem with a 5 megapixel camera appears to be a bit tricky, but here is evidence of the PS3's overscan issue:

MediaPortal

PS3

Last edited by GHDpro; 2008-01-05 at 08:34.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 19:29   Link #31
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I especially like MKV chapters. I didn't really notice/use them when I played anime on my PC using MPC, but with MediaPortal chapters (in MKV) make it really easy to skip opening and endings (just press "skip" on the remote). Chapters make watching fansubs just as convinient as navigating DVDs.
Number one unknown/underrated MKV feature . Please to everyone releasing Matroska that doesn't already, USE CHAPTERS! It's sad when you have a whole series of MKVs without a single chapter. Skipping OP is important, as much as we love your karaoke/credits.
Old 2008-01-06, 02:41   Link #32
DryFire
Panda Herder

It's easy, takes only a few minutes and doesn't do any harm is the off chance whatever it is that's playing it back doesn't support it.

Change that love to hate and I completely agree.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 05:33   Link #33
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Quote:
Number one unknown/underrated MKV feature . Please to everyone releasing Matroska that doesn't already, USE CHAPTERS! It's sad when you have a whole series of MKVs without a single chapter. Skipping OP is important, as much as we love your karaoke/credits.
Thirded. Chapters are something that I've really started to love recently. So every group using MKV, USE CHAPTERS! Adding them doesn't take much time and the result is more than worth it.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 07:39   Link #34
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Also...if you are one of the few who stubbornly insist to use MP4 because it is "zomg industry standard" you can add chapters (though they are non-standard lol). Also incredibly easy to do, and MP4Box supports it (has for awhile). It was some random idea thought up by Nero. Chapters are magical, everyone should have them!
Old 2008-01-06, 08:23   Link #35
Con

Quote:
Also...if you are one of the few who stubbornly insist to use MP4 because it is "zomg industry standard" you can add chapters (though they are non-standard lol). Also incredibly easy to do, and MP4Box supports it (has for awhile). It was some random idea thought up by Nero. Chapters are magical, everyone should have them!
Thats what I've been wondering, why the MP4 encoders don't use chapters, few exceptions ofcourse. The ones that uses them, if I remember correctly was AnimeOne's DMC and some ToyBox releases. Okay I don't watch every release there is, but the ones I do watch usually don't have them.

Is this because the encoders don't know about it or is it because they don't want to do anything that's not in the standard?
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 10:02   Link #36
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con View Post
Thats what I've been wondering, why the MP4 encoders don't use chapters, few exceptions ofcourse. The ones that uses them, if I remember correctly was AnimeOne's DMC and some ToyBox releases. Okay I don't watch every release there is, but the ones I do watch usually don't have them.

Is this because the encoders don't know about it or is it because they don't want to do anything that's not in the standard?
Hard to say, maybe they do think they will somehow get extra treats in encoder heaven by only using the features outlined in the standard. The thing is, though chapter functionality was not explicitly written into the MP4 standard, the way Nero/MP4Box has implemented it does not make the files non-standard in any way. It is not a "hack" but rather an "intuitive way" of storing chapters within the rules/confines of the MP4 standard. Of course the splitter/parser has to know how the chapters are stored in this method for the player to be able to use them at all (because it is a feature which is not part of the standard). Otherwise the data is simply ignored and everything proceeds as usual. Thus it is a non-standard feature, but still makes completely compliant MP4 files.

The MP4 container luckily is outlined quite well in this manner so non-standard data can be added to files (in specific ways dictated by the standard ). So crazy ideas like Vorbis in MP4 can exist and still be a perfectly valid MP4 file. But again then, it means that the software needs to add extra support (above the MP4 standard) for these extra features to actually be accessible. So while the standard is perfect for the industry and what they will do with it (using the codecs/features explicitly outlined in the standard because they are lazy and require some basic level of conformity or they cry) it also specifically makes room for enterprising companies/individuals to add their own features without causing the files to break in other software/hardware. If any hosers tell you they aren't adding chapters because they don't want to break the "zomg industry standard" you can call shenanigans on them. They essentially have no idea wtf they are talking about. Boo to them then, just another reason MKV is awesome.

Though it probably is more likely they don't know they can do it, just as with the large number of MKVs without chapters (why ;-; ). Or they are too evul and lazy to learn how easy it is.
Old 2008-01-06, 11:50   Link #37
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con View Post
Thats what I've been wondering, why the MP4 encoders don't use chapters, few exceptions ofcourse.
I'll tell you my own reason as to why I didn't add chapters to some MP4 releases that I did/am doing; laziness. It's a 52+ episode series, and really, I'm happy enough that I can get through encoding it, let alone stick chapters into them which I somehow don't feel like doing when looking each time at the episodes... So for me it wasn't a matter of "ZOMG, it's not in the standard or something!!111", but just pure laziness.
Old 2008-01-06, 11:54   Link #38
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber

lol, another thread has fallen to the encoders.
*assembles the editor army* we'll defeat you someday, encoders!
Old 2008-01-06, 11:56   Link #39
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

martino, stop being lazy then

Seriously, adding chapters takes few minutes max per episode, so you'd be done in an hour if you would do chapters for every episode at one sitting, and an hour isn't a long time in encoder's life, right?

Besides, doing chapters is so easy that you could even force someone else to do them for you, since it doesn't really ask any skill.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 11:56   Link #40
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
lol, another thread has fallen to the encoders.
*assembles the editor army* we'll defeat you someday, encoders!
Start a thread about the appropriate use of en/em-dashes or some other editing stuff and we'll invade those as well! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
martino, stop being lazy then

Seriously, adding chapters takes few minutes max per episode, so you'd be done in an hour if you would do chapters for every episode at one sitting, and an hour isn't a long time in encoder's life, right?
Freezeframing takes it like 10-15 minutes, and after that I'm feeling sick already... O.o
Few more minutes! God, you want to kill me?!?!!1 (No point anymore, there are 2 episodes to go ^^)

But yeah, you got a point. I'll try harder next time (just as should the others who don't I guess).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
Besides, doing chapters is so easy that you could even force someone else to do them for you, since it doesn't really ask any skill.
Who'd want to do chapters for something that nearly nobody wants to work on?

Another thread gone offtopic. Ah well, sorry... ;_;

(As a note so that there are no misunderstandings, I always added chapters to MKVs when appropriate.)

Last edited by martino; 2008-01-06 at 12:19.
martino is offline   Reply With Quote