AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-06-27, 12:44   Link #261
Cpuroast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshottrigun View Post
I love MPlayer OSX Extended, I'd like to give thanks for it.
I have been using it for a year now and it has served all my video viewing needs.

I have noticed a few nitpick things that bug me or features that could be added.

-I would love to see the ability to save and open playlists.

-The fullscreen control bar is also very large, and at times I can never find a spot to put it without it being in the way. Maybe a customizable control bar or option to make it even more opaque?

-I've also noticed when playing dual track audio .mkv that the volume decreases greatly when I switch from one audio track to another. Is this a problem with my settings or a problem with MPlayer OSX Extended?

Just a few suggestions and problems I've noticed.
Either way, its the best .mkv, .mp4, .avi, etc. player for macs.
The fullscreen controls are small enough in my opinion, although making them even more semi-opaque and giving a choice to the user to adjust the level of transparency would be nice. It also vanishes after 3seconds, was 5 before. So it's only really in the way for a very short time. It also remembers the position, so you can always put it at the very bottom which should be out the way for most files these days which are mostly widescreen.

As far as audio levels between audio tracks, I don't think Mplayer is to blame. You have to remember that not all audio tracks are recorded or mastered at the same volume. So even if you have multiple tracks in an MKV or OGM file, they won't always play at the same volume. This is where normalization comes in which might already be in mplayer, but only via extra parameters in the advanced options. All Adrian can do it add an extra UI option to control it, and only if mplayer has it natively.

As far as play list files go, I presume Adrian could easily add this. Since it already remembers the play list content between sessions. Why don't you open a ticket with that request: http://mplayerosx.sttz.ch/trac/newticket.

Go Mplayer OSX Extended !!!
Old 2009-06-27, 19:11   Link #262
gunshottrigun
Crazy Shrine Maiden

Send a message via AIM to gunshottrigun Send a message via MSN to gunshottrigun Send a message via Yahoo to gunshottrigun
Alright thanks, I sent in the ticket. Hopefully it appears eventually.

I just think for different series it would be very convenient to be able to save playlists and reopen them.
Old 2009-06-28, 01:21   Link #263
Proudleaf

The final release of Revision 11 performs excellently with all of the bugs I noticed previously now being gone. In addition, video playback has definitely been improved and optimized for h264--something that I noted in Test-1 that remains true with this final release. I'm also a big fan of the new and sleeker GUI.

This is probably the best release for MPlayer OSX Extended I've seen yet. Thanks again!
Old 2009-06-28, 20:26   Link #264
gunshottrigun
Crazy Shrine Maiden

Send a message via AIM to gunshottrigun Send a message via MSN to gunshottrigun Send a message via Yahoo to gunshottrigun
Rev11 is fantastic, fixed the problems with dual monitors fantastically.
Old 2009-06-28, 20:53   Link #265
sk3

Another great release anime_layer

FFMpeg-MT is awesome. Is it me or the current ffdshow builds with ffmpeg-mt are faster/better than coreavc?

i'm using the latest CCCP beta on my windows machine and it runs 720p great without much CPU usage compared to coreavc (my cpu is old)

Either way, Mplayer OS X Extended is great. now we need some more new features like ordered chapters and volume normalization and stuff like that to make the "additional parameters" box almost useless hehe
Old 2009-06-29, 02:12   Link #266
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Send a message via MSN to pigoz
rev11 is awesome!
about people mentioning ordered chapters.. would that be even possible? I heard there are some patches to ffmpeg to get ordered chapters, but I'm not sure if they work on OSX.
Old 2009-07-13, 23:42   Link #267
LordMelkor

Is there anyway to make subtitles appear in the black bar under the video, as opposed to over the picture part of the video?
Old 2009-07-14, 18:51   Link #268
franz2
you are the blood

So, just checking if I'm not doing anything wrong here. Is Mplayer OSX Extended supposed to be incapable of rendering fancy .ass shapes? Take for example the newest SHAFT classic, Ghostory, the [gIIg] release had lots of typesetting covering shaft's delightful kanji spam.

Is it supposed to be like this? The boxes and stuff.
Old 2009-07-17, 03:43   Link #269
pigoz
YUKI.N>

libass doesn't support a lot of stuff that VSFilter do
Old 2009-07-18, 00:06   Link #270
Proudleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by franz2 View Post
So, just checking if I'm not doing anything wrong here. Is Mplayer OSX Extended supposed to be incapable of rendering fancy .ass shapes? Take for example the newest SHAFT classic, Ghostory, the [gIIg] release had lots of typesetting covering shaft's delightful kanji spam.

Is it supposed to be like this? The boxes and stuff.
I watched qllq's release and had the same problem. I'm assuming that MPlayer just can't render it, so it just resorts to the obtrusive solid color blocks. But, I'll wait until Adrian returns to this thread to verify whether MPlayer can't render it or not.

And while this doesn't really help the problem itself, gg's release doesn't have the same problem, so you might want to check out their release if you haven't already.
Old 2009-07-18, 09:45   Link #271
Cpuroast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudleaf View Post
I watched qllq's release and had the same problem. I'm assuming that MPlayer just can't render it, so it just resorts to the obtrusive solid color blocks. But, I'll wait until Adrian returns to this thread to verify whether MPlayer can't render it or not.

And while this doesn't really help the problem itself, gg's release doesn't have the same problem, so you might want to check out their release if you haven't already.
It's a limitation of how mplayer renders ASS/SSA.

Gabest's VSFilter aka DirectVobSub on windows is currently and has been for a while now, the best and most compliant ASS/SSA subtitle renderer.

I checked the same Bakemonogatari episode on Windows using VSfilter to render the subs and they were perfect. So it just shows at what stage of development libASS(the library used by mplayer to render fancy ASS/SSA) is. It supports most things, but not as much as VSFilter does.

It's being worked on constantly. So I presume it will rival VSFilter at some point in time. We just have to be patient.

Overall Mplayer OSX Extended is still the best Mac player available.

So keep up the great work Adrian!
Old 2009-07-21, 14:32   Link #272
Proudleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpuroast View Post
It's being worked on constantly. So I presume it will rival VSFilter at some point in time. We just have to be patient.

Overall Mplayer OSX Extended is still the best Mac player available.

So keep up the great work Adrian!
It's not that big of a deal for me at the moment, and it's only the first time I've actually encountered the problem. I'm sure libASS will eventually reach the level of compatibility that VSFilter has too.

Speaking of MPlayer in general though, I was a bit bothered by something for a little while now. While h264 playback had improved in Rev11, I still noticed this unmistakeable jerkiness that occurred when playing back long pans or zooms. After researching for a little bit, I discovered that the reason for the problem lies with the sound driver.

Because MPlayer by default bases frame timing on audio delay measurements, an imperfect sound driver can cause playback to be jerky. To correct this, one can enable -autosync in the advanced parameters. By default, MPlayer uses -autosync 0, but by enabling -autosync 1 or any positive integer above 1, MPlayer will gradually correct the A/V correction algorithm. The higher the value, the faster MPlayer will correct it. MPlayer's official documentation recommends trying out -autosync 30 to smooth out problems with most sound drivers.

More information about this can be found here and here in MPlayer's official documentation.

Last edited by Proudleaf; 2009-07-26 at 02:21. Reason: Provided links
Old 2009-07-30, 02:52   Link #273
pigoz
YUKI.N>

HOW TO: Compile mplayer with ffmpeg-mt and ORDERED CHAPTERS
Code:
### install dependencies
sudo port install git-core pkgconfig freetype fontconfig libiconv ncurses zlib lzo2

### get mplayer from development git
git://repo.or.cz/mplayer
cd mplayer
git checkout -b mt -t origin/mt && git submodule init && git submodule update

### configure
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig"
./configure --disable-x11 --disable-gl --disable-mencoder --extra-cflags=-I/opt/local/include --extra-ldflags=-L/opt/local/lib

###build
make

### install
sudo make install
and here is a screenshot of it running in the MPlayerOSX Extended gui we all love

Last edited by pigoz; 2009-08-15 at 01:54.
Old 2009-08-02, 20:14   Link #274
tripdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoz View Post
HOW TO: Compile mplayer with ffmpeg-mt and ORDERED CHAPTERS
Code:
### install dependencies
sudo port install git pkgconfig freetype fontconfig libiconv ncurses zlib lzo2

### get mplayer from development git
git://repo.or.cz/mplayer
cd mplayer
git checkout -b mt -t origin/mt && git submodule init && git submodule update

### configure
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig"
./configure --disable-x11 --disable-gl --disable-mencoder --extra-cflags=-I/opt/local/include --extra-ldflags=-L/opt/local/lib

###build
make

### install
sudo make install
and here is a screenshot of it running in the MPlayerOSX Extended gui we all love

Fun. Buuuuuutttttt. Waaaaay to lazy to do this. Thank you for the steps though.
Old 2009-08-08, 15:27   Link #275
greg-
libass developer

MPlayer (git) with latest libass can render qIIq's Bakemonogatari perfectly. The same goes for the current VLC development branch, try a snapshot.
Old 2009-08-28, 23:17   Link #276
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I can happily say that MPlayer OSX Extended does work without any problems on Snow Leopard (10.6) which released today. I'm hoping that MPlayer OS X Extended can hopefully transition to 64-bit to take avantage of 64-bit.
Old 2009-08-29, 00:49   Link #277
sk3

i've only noticed a minor issue.

the seek bar on mplayer os x extended under 10.6 Snow Leopard blinks while the file is playing. you can't notice it until you actually reach about 5% of the file but the longer you seek, the more you will notice it.

Not a major problem, just a cosmetic one i guess

EDIT1: ok another issue.

I use mplayer with the separate window setting and as such, the mplayer window displayed has a strange bug:

there are 2 apple menus as you can see on the image. This bug doesn't make any strange behavior but it's another cosmetic bug, and i think the cause of it, is the underground changes Apple made to the Service menu.

Last edited by sk3; 2009-08-29 at 01:00.
Old 2009-08-29, 01:16   Link #278
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3 View Post

EDIT1: ok another issue.

I use mplayer with the separate window setting and as such, the mplayer window displayed has a strange bug:

there are 2 apple menus as you can see on the image. This bug doesn't make any strange behavior but it's another cosmetic bug, and i think the cause of it, is the underground changes Apple made to the Service menu.
I tried to reproduce that bug, and yes, it does that... only if you chose the "As Separate Window (CoreVideo)." That bug doesn't happen with (Quicktime/Quartz) and one window options.
Old 2009-08-30, 08:36   Link #279
sk3

I haven't tried many options yet but did someone else noticed a little increase in general CPU consumption while using FFmpeg-MT ?

It might be me, but i'm almost sure that cpu usage increased a little on snow leopard because i've seen a 720p running almost at 80% on both cores (this was seen with activity monitor).

I'm more used to check cpu usage using iStat Menus but since it doesn't work with SL 10.6 i can't be quite sure about this. I'll try to check it more carefully when iStat comes out.

At least up until now, no crashes, bugs, or workarounds needed. its a perfectly stable software using a first release OS
Old 2009-08-30, 11:32   Link #280
pigoz
YUKI.N>

sk3 what CPU are you running on? If this is true I am not gonna move to snow leopard until they fix this. On my 2.4Ghz C2D I don't get that crappy cpu usage even with 1080p.

Tags
wiki candidate