AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-14, 09:43   Link #321
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

I just couldn't get into Koi Kaze at any point during the series. The animation is below average except for the first and last episodes, and the VAs are terrible. They sound monotone most of the time, and really ruin what could have been some pretty dramatic scenes. The overall plot didn't really resolve anything in the end, although the pacing was handled well. The script was good, and the characters behaved in a realistic manner. The subject matter was interesting, and was handled with sensitivity, and the show never degraded into melodrama. If only this series had a bigger budget, this could have turned out really well, but as it stands, a potentially great series is left to being a cult classic.
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 17:29   Link #322
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eczema View Post
...The animation is below average except for the first and last episodes...

If only this series had a bigger budget, this could have turned out really well, but as it stands, a potentially great series is left to being a cult classic.
The animation may not be the best, but I think the general *look* of it was very nice. It had a sort of soft, pastel look to it, in design and colors, that seemed to really fit the mood of the show. I think having something just "look right" can be much more important than ultra-fluid animation.

Well, I haven't watched the show in a year...I just bought the Geneon R1 DVD's, so I guess I'll rewatch it through October.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 04:24   Link #323
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I keep meaning to acquire this for my collection and have had many people recommend it. Thanks for bumping the thread which then jogged my memory.

update: fixed -- ordered it from rightstuf.com

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-25 at 04:35.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 11:37   Link #324
hirahira
a duck is fine too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eczema View Post
I just couldn't get into Koi Kaze at any point during the series. The animation is below average except for the first and last episodes, and the VAs are terrible. They sound monotone most of the time, and really ruin what could have been some pretty dramatic scenes. The overall plot didn't really resolve anything in the end, although the pacing was handled well. The script was good, and the characters behaved in a realistic manner. The subject matter was interesting, and was handled with sensitivity, and the show never degraded into melodrama. If only this series had a bigger budget, this could have turned out really well, but as it stands, a potentially great series is left to being a cult classic.
I agree with all of this.
Old 2008-11-19, 09:14   Link #325
DarkHonour

I think getting the manga would be better somehow.
DarkHonour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 04:15   Link #326
Sol Falling

I haven't watched this either, but regarding the animation being 'below average' and the show not having a good budget, I think that may have to do with the show being from 2004 more than anything else.

Anyway, I'm on the verge of checking this out. I've already spoilt the whole thing by reading everything in this thread, but it looks to be an engaging and well-presented story. There's something holding me back, though.

It's been pointed out a couple times that this show is basically an illustration of genetic sexual attraction. I ran into the idea independantly a while ago, and was gratified (as I started to read up on this show) to see this show linked to it. However, this brings up an issue: in light of a couple of the 'true love conquers all' comments in the late pages of this thread, given that this show is basically an illustration of a scientific phenomenon, how am I supposed to take the audiences' (and so presumably the characters') feelings of 'true, fated, let's-die-together love' seriously? Since I feel that (to a degree) I will always be feeling 'this love is manufactured', I basically doubt my ability to appreciate this show as a love story.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 18:16   Link #327
typhonsentra

Just finished this show too on a recommendation, avoiding spoilers almost completely besides the fact that the show somehow involves incest..... wow. If nothing else it's definitely interesting, had me coming back all the way through which is more than I can say for most shows lately. I like that they didn't take easy shortcuts through convenient plot devices nor did they have the characters go into too much detail on their thoughts and feelings, leaving some things to body language and our own interpretations. This is something that made the Chidori character interesting for me, whether she was simply the "voice of reason" trying to help or whether she was motivated by some sense of jealousy.

Solid writing and directing on a limited budget, at least on the part of the anime. I can't speak for the manga which I hear finished after the anime and has some differences.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 10:11   Link #328
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Recently rewatched this one. I must say, looking back, this anime really made me think and has probably had some impact on my life philosophy today. No, not that I'm now an incest fanatic , but rather this show helped point out to me how social taboos or unquestioned truths in society can be dead wrong, and are worth reconsidering. Truly incredible for an anime as I really take this philosophy to heart 5-6 years after originally watching it.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 23:33   Link #329
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Finally got some time to marathon this gem, and i'm glad i did. Amazing series.

Man, it's so refreshing to watch a *mature* romance anime, free of noisy lolis, over the top comedy, SD attacks and cliches all over the place.
The voice acting was far from being monotonous, if anything the acting felt as realistic as it gets for japanese animation. When it comes to anime, i think people are used to generic voice actress screaming and overacting instead of sounding like a real life person, sadly.
I also couldn't care less about the supposedly poor animation. I'm in for the story, this is not an action flick. The atmosphere alone got me hooked from the get-go.

I wish they did more series like this or Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 23:27   Link #330
Jiji
*Scanlator

I very much agree with you, Goty. It's been a while since I've seen this, so I can't remember the animation, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't bad. In any event, I wanted to point out that one of the reasons the casting was so spot-on was because they cast a 20-year-old actor for Koshiro and an amateur actress of 15 for Nanoha. Just like in Aishiteru ze Baby when they used a 5-year-old for that role, it really helps the realism and feel for the part.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 23:18   Link #331
User68604
Disabled By Request

AMAZING series. i watched it several months ago, but i have to comment on it

very beautifully done, the production value wasnt as high but it didnt matter...the plot and character development was out of this world. the topic, albeit taboo, allowed for an incredible story to told.

not much more i can say, this is hands down one of my most favorite animes. a masterpiece @ 10/10!
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 23:47   Link #332
User68604
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
P.S. What happend at the end any ways? She went back to his dad house? The ending was a bit confusing to me ( i am a newbie in romance animes).
old reply, but..

it was an open-ended finale

some people believe that they cut the relationship there and made a "pact" to only see each other once a year on that day. this being because of the symbolism of the park closing down

personally, i think thats completely not it. they went through so much just to acknowledge their feelings for each other. i think its clear to them and the viewers that they cannot be without each other. cutting their relationship/reducing it is very contradictory to the entire premise of the series.

so, happy ending in my book!
Old 2011-05-23, 02:35   Link #333
kamehameha

question about the end:

construction workers mention they need to rip down the trees in the last episode with Koshiro and Nanokas father...That's the location where they initial their yearly meeting.. does that leave an ending implying their love did not last? Also, Yearly? Feelings will fade. Maybe it was set as yearly for both to realize and forget their feelings during the years length. Does the manga end the anime?
Old 2011-05-23, 21:00   Link #334
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
construction workers mention they need to rip down the trees in the last episode with Koshiro and Nanokas father...That's the location where they initial their yearly meeting.. does that leave an ending implying their love did not last? Also, Yearly? Feelings will fade. Maybe it was set as yearly for both to realize and forget their feelings during the years length. Does the manga end the anime?
Ah...not sure what you mean by "does the manga end the anime". But the anime ends with suggestions that they will go their separate ways and the con(de)struction of the trees reinforces that somewhat. There's also the somewhat silly symbolism of them getting muddy (dirty) together but that they will have to get clean at some point, meaning they will have to give up this transitory dream of being together. This is all highly interpretive, mind you.

If you're asking if the manga ends differently -- yes, it does. The manga implies much more strongly that they are together as man and wife forever. There's a very bittersweet chapter near the end where Nanoka tries on a wedding dress that she'll never actually wear for real, but the fact that she is wearing it at all suggests that she and Koushiro are now as married as they'll ever get.

That's only my reading of it, of course, but what I really found to be different was how in the manga, the last thing that happens is Koushiro and Nanoka re-visit the amusement park and discuss their feelings and Koushiro FINALLY is able to say, "I love you" and mean it from the bottom of his heart, referring back to the first chapter when the girl he was dating dumped him for being unable to open up. In other words, this is Koushiro's story, the story of his heart thawing out and opening up. Will they be together now? Who knows? It's not addressed.

EDIT: BTW, if it seems like I've thought about this too much, it's because Koi Kaze was my first ever project as a manga scanlator with animewaves way back in the day. It seems like a lifetime ago. If you DL the torrent from the animewaves site, I am the proofreader, "onii-san" in the latter half of the manga. (I mention the scanlator b/c even though the anime was licensed, the manga never was.)
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 00:27   Link #335
kamehameha

^ cool i read the ending chapter of the manga and saw how his confession is made formal and what not.. and then it just ends, so it is different. I think the anime deliberately set up symbols to set up their adaptation of the split. I'll accept the manga's version for now ^_^.
Old 2011-05-25, 10:51   Link #336
User68604
Disabled By Request

i read the symbolism of the park, ferris wheel, etc as simply representing society.

all in all, society would never accept such a taboo.

if you rewatch the last ep of the anime, u'll notice that koshiro and nanoka are not made aware even ONCE of the park closing (hence their promise to come back annually). maybe i should even add that they did not even care that the park was closing (aka society disapproving their relationship).

they were the happiest with each other, koshiro finally was able to love someone, etc etc...happy ending lol
Old 2011-06-01, 16:03   Link #337
User68604
Disabled By Request

okay just finished the manga...

Spoiler:

Lol, because of these reasons, I LIKE THE ANIME MORE!

edit: just realized the manga finished after the anime...o well points still stand lol
Old 2011-08-24, 03:07   Link #338
ArrowSmith

Just finished this in a 2-day marathon, WHEW!!!! Lordy, lordy lordy! Talk about against all societal taboos, the final FORBIDDEN LOVE!

Spoiler for series:

We need more anime like this one!
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 22:28   Link #339
Holy Knight
Time Bomb

I watched this when it was being aired and now I managed to claim the dvds for about $5 bucks a piece. It was such a steal.

Its been about what? 7 years or so? Still, what a great, heart crushing story. Its just something I'll never forget.
Holy Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, seinen