AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-01, 10:17   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Higurashi Matsuri - Game (PS2 version)

This thread is for the PS2 version of Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni.

Feel free to discuss your thoughts on the PS2 version of the game, its character designs, and newly added chapters (Taraimawashi-hen, Tsukiotoshi-hen, and Miotsukushi-hen), etc. etc.
Old 2007-03-03, 16:56   Link #2
Rias

Somehow I feel the game was rushed or something. There's no voice acting in TIPS or the first half of the game. It was weird when all of a sudden Keiichi's voice poped up in the 2nd half of the game. However, the new OPs and EDs were really good. I would've perfered if they kept a couple of the original music, but the new music is well done also.

My thoughts about the new story chapters:

~Running away from Tragedy~ Taraimawashi-hen
Spoiler for Watanagashi:

~The Worst "if"~ Tsukiotoshi-hen
Spoiler for Tatarigoroshi:

~Another Ending~ Miotuskushi-hen
Spoiler for Minagoroshi + Matsuribayashi:

Last edited by Rias; 2007-03-08 at 17:53.
Old 2007-03-03, 17:52   Link #3
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
So do you think it's worth getting? My order got cancelled, and I need to knw whether to bother making another one.
Old 2007-03-03, 19:25   Link #4
Rias

I think it's worth getting, the voice acting added to the great story line is worth going for. Various minor things I don't like too much is that there's no voice in TIPS or first half of the game.

Also I liked the way it was done in the orignal better. In the PC game, the text is on top of the background. I think what makes some scenes so much more dramatic is that you are usually looking at the characters when they talk, so when they switch over to oyashiro-mode then the effect is really present. PS2 game, you usually just stare at the text on the bottom. THe voice acting does make up for that, as the tone of the voice changes and you would know something is up. Also, another thing I thought the PC version was good for was that, the variable text speed. Somtimes freezes at points, and makes you stare at them for the longest time. Most of those dramatic points are changed to be backgrounds in the PS2 game instead.

Oh, they also removed one of the mystery of the game, which I thought was a shame.

Spoiler for Mion:

So, if you are a fan, and can at least somewhat understand want is going on (the voices helps alot for those who can't read a lot, like myself), I think it's worth getting.
Old 2007-03-03, 20:05   Link #5
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

I am able to understand the original game at the speed of about a sentence every 5 minutes, so the voices will only make that easier... plus I know the story of the anime arcs off by heart... so it sounds like I should get it.

But do all the question arcs have no voice acting? I'm sure I saw a clip of Rika talking in Himatsubushi-hen.
Old 2007-03-04, 06:12   Link #6
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrunch View Post
I am able to understand the original game at the speed of about a sentence every 5 minutes, so the voices will only make that easier... plus I know the story of the anime arcs off by heart... so it sounds like I should get it.

But do all the question arcs have no voice acting? I'm sure I saw a clip of Rika talking in Himatsubushi-hen.
They don't have voice acting in the TIPS part, and Keiichi doesn't have a voice for the first half of the game (his voice is only present after you have entered into the second half of the game, when you have entered one of the arcs). I don't remember if that's the same for the other main characters.
Old 2007-03-04, 11:32   Link #7
Regel

Rias
So you've played it?
How does Hanyuu look like there (maybe screenshots if it's possible)?
Old 2007-03-06, 00:06   Link #8
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regel View Post
Rias
So you've played it?
How does Hanyuu look like there (maybe screenshots if it's possible)?
Spoiler for Minagoroshi-hen: Toy shop:
Old 2007-03-12, 11:46   Link #9
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

I must be doing something wrong. I'm 10 hours into it and no one's been murdered yet. A dismembered corpse was mentioned, though.
Old 2007-03-12, 12:18   Link #10
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
I must be doing something wrong. I'm 10 hours into it and no one's been murdered yet. A dismembered corpse was mentioned, though.
Well, if it's anything like the original game, plot development takes a very long time.
Old 2007-03-13, 15:12   Link #11
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
So I know that there's added voice acting and new art, but the text/story of this game (for the pre-existing arcs like Onikakushi-hen) is the same as the PC version right? basically I'm wondering, if I bought Matsuri instead of the two PC games that contain the 8 chapters, would the Onikakushi-hen of one be different than the other? Would I miss anything other than extra arcs?
Old 2007-03-13, 16:47   Link #12
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

Were the poems by Bernkastel changed in any way? Were there any new ones?
Old 2007-03-13, 17:22   Link #13
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Quote:
Originally Posted by harukamae View Post
So I know that there's added voice acting and new art, but the text/story of this game (for the pre-existing arcs like Onikakushi-hen) is the same as the PC version right? basically I'm wondering, if I bought Matsuri instead of the two PC games that contain the 8 chapters, would the Onikakushi-hen of one be different than the other? Would I miss anything other than extra arcs?
Well, the PS2 game has more arcs, and a different ending arc. I'd imagine the original text has been at least tweaked as well.
Old 2007-03-14, 00:03   Link #14
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskatar View Post
Were the poems by Bernkastel changed in any way? Were there any new ones?
All the Bernkastel poems remains the same, except Miotsukushi-hen only uses half of the poem used in Matsuribayashi-hen. Also, new poems for Taraimawashi/Tsukiotoshi-hen. There's also a preview voice everytime you enter an arc.
Old 2007-03-14, 00:45   Link #15
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

can you post the poems? please? ^^
i really like the poems
Old 2007-03-14, 13:15   Link #16
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Hour 17: After playing what seemed to be a hybrid of onikakushi-hen and watanagashi-hen, it appears something different is going on in this arc. And finally, someone has died! This game is definitely not for casual fans.

Oh, I wish I could find screens for the artwork from this game. Some of the intense scenes were done really well.
Old 2007-03-16, 04:45   Link #17
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
Hour 17: After playing what seemed to be a hybrid of onikakushi-hen and watanagashi-hen, it appears something different is going on in this arc. And finally, someone has died! This game is definitely not for casual fans.

Oh, I wish I could find screens for the artwork from this game. Some of the intense scenes were done really well.

So the Matsuri game doesn't have the arcs separated? Or is this just one of the new arcs that's reminiscent of those two?

I just finished Onikakushi-hen on the PC and was blown away - even though I knew what was coming and the lack of graphics, etc, it scared the crap out of me!
From what you're saying, it sounds like Matsuri is just as well done! ^^
Old 2007-03-16, 14:29   Link #18
Rias

Matsuri do have the arc seperated, in the 2nd half of the game that is. The first half is a hybrid of all the pre-festival (roughly speaking) events that occurs, and their occurance sometimes is determined by the choices you make.
Old 2007-03-18, 10:33   Link #19
Iriliane

Anyone want to take a shot at explaining why they renamed Kenta-kun to Randy-kun?
Old 2007-03-18, 12:34   Link #20
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

kenta is too close to kentucky i guess =/
Closed Thread