AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-10, 15:13   Link #101
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Wow, kids are pretty advanced if they can appreciate the superhero/corporate-shill/reality-tv-whore satire part of the show...
And stay up till 2am on Sunday or whenever it is this show is on. Yeah definetly don't see this as a kids show so far. Too many mature topics. Maybe older teen and up?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 18:01   Link #102
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Did anyone else think the non-CG animation quality slipped a bit in episode 2? There were a couple of rough patches there, which is kind of worrisome as it's only the second episode.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 18:18   Link #103
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I don't think that this is a kids show either.

In fact, I find it very refreshing to watch an anime like this one where the main protagonist struggles with very much adult issues (balancing work with being there for your children, how to handle it when your boss at work wants you to do things that you don't morally agree with, how you go about being a positive influence to younger generations from an adult position, etc...).

Although I'm not a father myself, I do have much younger cousins and sisters and have worked with kids before in various volunteer and paid positions.

I was also a big comic book fan in my own youth.

So this anime really speaks to me as an adult, while also hitting some nostalgia buttons for me.

Mr. Legend was great, and it was wonderful to see Tiger take on the role of his super hero mentor in order to help a super powered kid in need.

I also liked seeing Bunny save Tiger's daughter. That was a nice twist, that shows that underneath all the bravado and big talk and ego that Bunny still has some real heroism in him.

The CGI graphics were great as well.

However, I have to agree with TurkeyPotPie that the more "normal" animation bits had a few rough patches. It's not yet enough to really bother me, but I hope that we don't see too much of them going forward.
Old 2011-04-10, 18:47   Link #104
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I noticed a couple of rough spots in the non-cg animation as well, hopefully it isn't a reoccurring thing.
Old 2011-04-10, 19:07   Link #105
chickdigger802

I'm pretty sure the blond guy will get injured someday and go all Char.

It's a given now isn't?
chickdigger802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 20:40   Link #106
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Spoiler for ep 2:
Actually, I wonder if Ouroboros hurt/killed some of his family in the past and he's making his identity known to make it/them come after him and he can get his revenge. I mean, it's not a superhero story these days unless it has revenge in it, right?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 21:58   Link #107
chickdigger802

And did anyone else think 'Crysis nanosuit' with Tiger's new suit? Similar built + his powers are pretty much 'maximum power+ speed'
chickdigger802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 22:42   Link #108
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Omg, I initally stayed away due to the silly title, but this show is awesome. Superheroes being sponsored by greedy comparnies and blatant product placement. And puns about ice.

Fun fun fun. It sucks being a washed up superstar.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 05:11   Link #109
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Having watched 2 eps, I can safely conclude I'm not liking this series very much. I'll admit though it's partly because I didn't grow up reading western comic books, so it doesn't ring any nostalgia bells. The other part is that, superhero based movies have been booming since about 5 years ago in the cinemas, and I'm growing sick of them. Batman, Spider, Ironman, Fantastic Four, Superman, Tron etc. and now we have Thor, Green Lantern and Captain America coming up.

Nonetheless, interesting concept and premise regarding superheroes sponsored by corporate bodies. I'm sure fans of the genre will love it (ANN for example, which is primarily categored towards US viewers are hailing it as the best of the season). Unfortunately for me, after 2 eps, I am dropping it.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 07:20   Link #110
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
so i assume that the people with NEXT powers are like mutants from X-Men?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 08:20   Link #111
delirium
Banned

Blaze was making me giggle so much. This is gonna be a good series, not hard to see that from the two episodes that have aired. I can't wait for more.
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 08:23   Link #112
Wakan Tanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
so i assume that the people with NEXT powers are like mutants from X-Men?
Yup, I was reminded of X-men as well, but that hater come to his senses and apologized in the end.
Old 2011-04-11, 08:59   Link #113
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Having watched 2 eps, I can safely conclude I'm not liking this series very much. I'll admit though it's partly because I didn't grow up reading western comic books, so it doesn't ring any nostalgia bells. The other part is that, superhero based movies have been booming since about 5 years ago in the cinemas, and I'm growing sick of them. Batman, Spider, Ironman, Fantastic Four, Superman, Tron etc. and now we have Thor, Green Lantern and Captain America coming up.

Nonetheless, interesting concept and premise regarding superheroes sponsored by corporate bodies. I'm sure fans of the genre will love it (ANN for example, which is primarily categored towards US viewers are hailing it as the best of the season). Unfortunately for me, after 2 eps, I am dropping it.

Tron
isn't a superhero movie...

And you didn't need to grow up on western comics to enjoy this series. Shounen manga/Sentai shows/Western superheros pretty much share many common themes, but they usually appeal to a male demographic... if you're a female then I can see why it just doesn't appeal to you.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 09:18   Link #114
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakan Tanka View Post
Yup, I was reminded of X-men as well, but that hater come to his senses and apologized in the end.
Well most of society accepted Next as people to be admired as heroes. The people of the previous generation like Mr. Legend served as the civil rights movement analog.

There still some people who are idiots much like today which let their fear rule them.

Good thing veterans like Wild Tiger understands that if a young Next isn't taught to use his or he powers for good and accept who they are they would be a problem in the future.

Barnaby doesn't understand that as to him it is much more black and white. Plus he isn't doing hero stuff to prove himself or for justice. The motivation is to lure whatever Ouroboros is out in the open for revenge.

Ouroboros could be a villain or evil organization of Next. If so Apollon's president giving him a partner is good. Someone who would teach him and keep him in check.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 13:00   Link #115
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Man this show just kind of owns at this point. I like how we get some good solid character development through the work the Heroes put in and how we get a little more exposition on the world at the same time.

There was lots of great back and forth banter between Barny and Kotetsu and even some other characters that was actually kind of funny and witty and I don't get to see something like that all that often in anime anymore. We also get more of Tiger's philosophy on what makes a real hero and it looks like he's already passing that on to the NEXT generation, essentially turning a kid that was going to go rogue into someone who can maybe go to work for the benefit of the city once he grows up. Basically Tiger did for the kid what Mr. Legend did for him, only in a different and arguing even more life-changing manner.

There are indeed definite vibes of X-Men in the kids whole storyline with the whole feeling rejected by society and wanting revenge. Kid probably would have been in the Brotherhood if this were X-men

Anyway as far as I can see Barny saving Kotetsu's daughter was the clincher between the two and I can already see Kotetsu warming up to him as a result in the coming episodes even though he probably has nothing good to say about his daughters crush on the guy. Barny however seems like he might have to slowly get over the course of the next several episodes that it's not all about points and posing.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 13:00   Link #116
Wakan Tanka

@ ReddyRedWolf

You got a point there. As for the Ouroboros, it seems that they killed his parents. It could be as you said "villain Nexts".
Old 2011-04-11, 21:23   Link #117
tigertrap

this show has some good ideas but it is pretty unpolished and not very tight at all with its structure or narrative. i like the idea of how tiger got that kid to help him but, i dont know, it was very lazily done. unless i missed something they gave no indication that the giant statue was anywhere near the ice rink and it showed up in seconds to stop it from falling? and also, tigers power seemed to last much longer than 5 minutes, it lasted from mid-day to sundown.

the slow motion of the debris falling on kaede also i thought was really lame as was tigers reaction to it after the fact! he just drops his head and mumbles her name? he doesnt rush over there and do everything he can in the hopes that somehow she survived like a normal person? and i dont really see how bunny was able to save her in time unless he's got the ability to stop time lol. im sure he's quick but there is no way he was that quick.

and these are just some holes... but the feeling of the narrative felt off too, like it didnt really establish its emotional theme till midway when tiger has his little flashback and so the whole thing felt VERY quick. when we first hear the boy NEXT speak drop he drops his angsty melodrama on the heroes and within seconds is convinced he's wrong. im not faulting his angst, but rather how long they waited to show it. to me this needed to play out from the beginning to the end of the episode, not 3/4s of the way through to the end. tiger himself says near the midpoint "what does he even want?" it was a good question. im still not sure what he did want but to make a huge mess of things. what was his endgame really? i can kind of infer that he was able to make the statues move yet his subconscious was the thing that was controlling them and he couldnt stop them from doing what they were doing but if this is the case i feel like they really should have established this and use it as a chance to build some character and sympathy for the kid

other problems would be the characterization of bunny. the whole "if we dont arrest him, we dont get any points!" thing also felt very quick and flat. they tried to establish his character with a few lines of dialogue, but little action and so at that point when he threw that line out there, it felt very weak and unrealistic. bunny doesnt come off very cold

i do like some of their ideas and their heart is in the wrong place but this crew (from a story POV) seems so far not to be ready or experienced enough to handle this story yet.
tigertrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 01:59   Link #118
numb3rs

Great underlying story, but i found it dirtied a bit by the occasional jim-carey style humor.
this isn't a manga adaptation is it?
Old 2011-04-12, 04:53   Link #119
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

no, its an original creation
Old 2011-04-12, 07:24   Link #120
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Ep 2 was ok but the lack of a heavier reaction on Wild Tiger seeing his daughter buried under the steel was not really suitable even factoring shock.

Hopefully they will involve the other superheroes more, as they are an interesting bunch in terms of design
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, sunrise, tiger & bunny, tsundere