AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Aquarion EVOL - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 7 20.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 26.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 32.35%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 8.82%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 5.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-30, 18:55   Link #61
mayumi

i hope mikono does not go cold on amata next episode as well. the guy does deserve a break so hopefully whatever she tells him is something along the lines of "don't put me on a pedestal/ stop worshiping the ground i walk on". at which point i will build a shrine for her for noticing amata's obsession with her.
Old 2012-04-30, 19:06   Link #62
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
One question; how do you know that's the reason Andy punched Amata? Lucky guess?

Why not it's something like Amata wanted to stop Andy from doing something stupid like chasing after the Enemy alone? And then we get the standard best friends fight to get him to cool off.
It honestly can't be logically. My guess is that Amata will say something stupid like "I'm sure she's fine" because it wouldn't make any sense for lashing out on him for not saving MIX
Old 2012-04-30, 19:07   Link #63
kuromitsu

Quote:
Why not it's something like Amata wanted to stop Andy from doing something stupid like chasing after the Enemy alone? And then we get the standard best friends fight to get him to cool off.
I don't know... they're not just having a private fight, all the others are there, watching, and it's clearly something unexpected. I have no idea why Andy is hitting him, but since it seems next ep is going to be the "Everyone Gets Their Shit Together" episode I guess it's something along the lines of "this happened because you couldn't get your shit together"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
i hope mikono does not go cold on amata next episode as well. the guy does deserve a break so hopefully whatever she tells him is something along the lines of "don't put me on a pedestal/ stop worshiping the ground i walk on". at which point i will build a shrine for her for noticing amata's obsession with her.
...so, like, is there any evidence that Amata is putting Mikono on a pedestal/worships the ground she walks on? The guy is not obsessed, he's in love. (It's funny how I keep seeing the "unhealthily obsessed with him/her" "failing to see him/her as a real person" etc. arguments in different fandoms, when it comes to certain couples.)
Old 2012-04-30, 19:26   Link #64
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoBar9 View Post
It honestly can't be logically. My guess is that Amata will say something stupid like "I'm sure she's fine" because it wouldn't make any sense for lashing out on him for not saving MIX
...Huh? Wait, so you're saying my suggestion isn't likely because it's logical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I don't know... they're not just having a private fight, all the others are there, watching, and it's clearly something unexpected. I have no idea why Andy is hitting him, but since it seems next ep is going to be the "Everyone Gets Their Shit Together" episode I guess it's something along the lines of "this happened because you couldn't get your shit together"...
I still don't see how this debunks anything? It doesn't have to be a private fight you know...

Quote:
...so, like, is there any evidence that Amata is putting Mikono on a pedestal/worships the ground she walks on? The guy is not obsessed, he's in love. (It's funny how I keep seeing the "unhealthily obsessed with him/her" "failing to see him/her as a real person" etc. arguments in different fandoms, when it comes to certain couples.)
Oh hush you, that's way too much reasoning in one post!
Old 2012-04-30, 19:39   Link #65
kuromitsu

Quote:
I still don't see how this debunks anything? It doesn't have to be a private fight you know...
No, I mean, if it was because Amata was trying to stop Andy from raiding Altair all by himself they probably wouldn't be out there in the yard, and I imagine some people would be trying to hold Andy back... but well, who knows. To me it seems they're having a row over something else with the others looking on, which then escalates into Andy hitting Amata.

In any case, I hope Andy will have a chance to try and dig a (worm)hole through dimensions. That would be pretty damn awesome. (Almost on par with Tsugumi's "I LOVE PEOPLE!!!" blast in Genesis, that was the most awesomely silly moment in the entire show.)

Quote:
Oh hush you, that's way too much reasoning in one post!
Sorry... ._.)>
Old 2012-04-30, 19:41   Link #66
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
...Huh? Wait, so you're saying my suggestion isn't likely because it's logical?
There's nothing logical in hitting Amata to begin with and really that suggestion seem the least likely to happen anyways
Old 2012-04-30, 19:54   Link #67
mayumi

Quote:

seriously has he ever doubted her? like come one the way he keeps following her around like a whipped/lost dog trying to connect with her about anything from his mother to father to being useless. he is so attached to her. he did not confront her about kagura only understanding that she might have felt this way or that way, making excuses etc.
Old 2012-04-30, 20:08   Link #68
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoBar9 View Post
There's nothing logical in hitting Amata to begin with and really that suggestion seem the least likely to happen anyways

It's not likely somebody would want to stop Andy from doing something reckless ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
seriously has he ever doubted her? like come one the way he keeps following her around like a whipped/lost dog trying to connect with her about anything from his mother to father to being useless. he is so attached to her. he did not confront her about kagura only understanding that she might have felt this way or that way, making excuses etc.
And all that somehow translates to 'worships'? Because he never confronts her and tries to connects with her?

Well, I guess that means I've been worshiping alot more people than I've been giving credit for I'm such a cheapo...

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-04-30 at 20:42.
Old 2012-04-30, 20:36   Link #69
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

I don't understand all this Zessica hate. Yes, her actions did lead to Mix being abducted and she unilaterally acted before an official decision was made. But I emphasize with her desire to act rashly.

But Zessica, up until that point, had some major problems. She loves Amata. This isn't some type of childish crush; Zessica felt deeply enough for Amata to confess to him and make Aquarion go berserk. As such, it's not that easy for her to get over the fact that Amata is completely enamored with another girl. But at the end of last episode, she was trying her best anyways. So take away Amata and what does Zessica have left? Her skills as a pilot. At the end of last episode, and throughout this episode, Zessica has been trying hard to focus on piloting her Vector in order to not think about Amata. However, that's easier said than done and as we see when she comes out of training in the middle of the night, she's dispirited. I assume that during training, Zessica was discouraged by her progress/skill and thus, without something to distract her from thinking about Amata, it's easy to regress back to moping; she's in love after all.

So Zessica now sees herself as a burden, and there's nothing she can do about it. She reevaluates her piloting skills after that training session, getting beat by Izumo, and getting reprimanded for being too hot-headed, all of which points to her incompetence. On the romantic side, she is the third wheel between Amata and Mikono, who have mutual feelings for each other. And yet Zessica can't help but feel how she does and act on those feelings.

When Izumo says that they need a strong Igura and offers a diplomatic solution, Zessica feels that she can now contribute to Neo-DEAVA and its people once again. Since her skills as a pilot are no longer needed, and she is only getting between Amata and Mikono, what better thing to do than to remove herself from the equation altogether? At the same time, she would help end the conflict between Altair and Vega and in the process gets to reaffirm that she is indeed a strong Rare Igura. Whereas moments before Izumo spoke, Zessica was stuck, powerless to do anything to improve her situation, she now has found an almost impeccable solution.
Old 2012-04-30, 23:40   Link #70
MasterVampire

I still dont get this Mikage guy.

How can he display that image of Amata's mother in the sky like that while he is on another planet?

Is he omnipotent or something?
Old 2012-05-01, 01:35   Link #71
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
I don't understand all this Zessica hate. Yes, her actions did lead to Mix being abducted and she unilaterally acted before an official decision was made. But I emphasize with her desire to act rashly.

*snip for space*
Superb post. I argued much the same myself earlier on this thread.

I can certainly get people not liking how Okada has wrote Zessica lately (if you're a Zessica fan, it can be painful to watch her emotional descent here). But I don't really get blaming Zessica herself for this. I mean, given the circumstances thrown at Zessica, her actions are at least sympathetic and understandable, imo.

On the topic of "Andy, why you slug Amata?":
Here's a thought - Maybe Amata gets angry with Andy (not the other way around) and criticizes Andy for basically no-showing the toughest fight they've had yet. Andy gets upset at this criticism, and slugs Amata in reply.

On the topic of Mykage: I just think of the guy as a really high level magus at this point. Maybe his power is science-based, but even if it is, it doesn't make a lick of difference in how magical it seems. The guy could easily pass for a Magical Girl anime final boss/archfiend.
Old 2012-05-01, 04:19   Link #72
kuromitsu

I don't think anyone is hating on Zessica, though? (except for that one post) We're hating on the writing. ^^;; At least I've long stopped blaming the characters for such blatant writing issues.
Old 2012-05-01, 04:33   Link #73
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Usually when an initially faultless character gets portray doing something wrong the backlash is usually more... Impressionable.

Andy, to some lesser extent, would probably get some of it as well I imagine.
Old 2012-05-01, 05:49   Link #74
Arya

Quote:

But Zessica, up until that point, had some major problems. She loves Amata. This isn't some type of childish crush; Zessica felt deeply enough for Amata to confess to him and make Aquarion go berserk. As such, it's not that easy for her to get over the fact that Amata is completely enamored with another girl. But at the end of last episode, she was trying her best anyways. So take away Amata and what does Zessica have left? Her skills as a pilot. At the end of last episode, and throughout this episode, Zessica has been trying hard to focus on piloting her Vector in order to not think about Amata. However, that's easier said than done and as we see when she comes out of training in the middle of the night, she's dispirited. I assume that during training, Zessica was discouraged by her progress/skill and thus, without something to distract her from thinking about Amata, it's easy to regress back to moping; she's in love after all.

So Zessica now sees herself as a burden, and there's nothing she can do about it. She reevaluates her piloting skills after that training session, getting beat by Izumo, and getting reprimanded for being too hot-headed, all of which points to her incompetence. On the romantic side, she is the third wheel between Amata and Mikono, who have mutual feelings for each other. And yet Zessica can't help but feel how she does and act on those feelings.

When Izumo says that they need a strong Igura and offers a diplomatic solution, Zessica feels that she can now contribute to Neo-DEAVA and its people once again. Since her skills as a pilot are no longer needed, and she is only getting between Amata and Mikono, what better thing to do than to remove herself from the equation altogether? At the same time, she would help end the conflict between Altair and Vega and in the process gets to reaffirm that she is indeed a strong Rare Igura. Whereas moments before Izumo spoke, Zessica was stuck, powerless to do anything to improve her situation, she now has found an almost impeccable solution.
I agree with you, her behavior is understandable, out of despair. I mean, she tried hard to go forward. Or better, she said it to convince herself and the others, but to make it short "that's easier said than done", but in my country we have another saying that goes like "there is an ocean between saying and doing" that fits bit better. She tried to put her usually genki mask but she had no more energy to keep going or hope to rely on. And she even hasn't anybody to speak with. In that regard I'd say Zessica has the "friendly with everyone, but friend with no one" attitude. Even Mix is not something I can call a friend.
And after all of that, now Zessica has even the burden of being the cause of Mix abduction. Because whoever has to be blame for, she will feel guilty.

Even talking about Amata and Mikono dynamics, it could be annoying, but given the abandon issues Amata is dragging around, it is quite understandable that he fears to face Mikono on the real deal. He is scared that facing THAT, Mikono will tell him that she will leave him for THAT someone else. So, he is so condescending with her.
On the other hand, as Ceyenne has said, Mikono fears that speaking her out would make people mad or hurting them. And in this case she fears (rightly I'd say) that her being confused would hurt him. So they are stuck in this dynamic But in the preview it seems that as always Mikono will step forward, and not Amata for one. Anyways, after her "you can send me home" line I can't blame her for anything for a while

So, I guess that the character dynamics are well made, it is how they are mixed together with the whole that feels over the place.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2012-05-01, 06:18   Link #75
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't understand all this Zessica hate.
That was a superb post. Kudos to you.

Old 2012-05-01, 10:34   Link #76
pingva

I loved the fight. Izumo was a boss.
Now, thanks to Izumo, Mykage can chill and wait when all boys and girls would come to him.
Someone remembered that we never saw how brother an sister interacted. It was a sweet moment.
This episode nicely explained why MIX picture in the ending had chains.
Preview suggests that Mikono visits her daddy.
Old 2012-05-01, 11:44   Link #77
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Just watched this episode

- So Zess keeps the dress
- Lol, dere Shuushuu
- Smiling Cayenne is nice. Adorable sibling talk :3
- Gepard did Daisetsuzan Oroshi xD
- Operator boy stock footage again
- Nooooo, MIX T___T Is it because Andy realize he triggered his own death flag so now it's affecting MIX instead? Poor her, abducted to the planet full of men he hates But well, at least Andy-MIX fan art amount increase a little bit now
Old 2012-05-01, 13:23   Link #78
wisteria233

Having seen this episode, I do agree that it should be renamed daddy issues.

For a girl her relationship with her father can dictate how reacts around males. For both Mikono and Mix it made them afraid of expressing themselves to the opposite sex. Now my problem with this revelation is that I think that its coming way too late, this tid bit of info should have been expounded upon a lot earlier, especially for Mikono as it makes her behavior considerably more understandable.

As for Zessica, I said it before and I'll say it again they are dragging the heck out of this love quad, and its getting annoying. The writers really wrote themselves into a whole with that sub plot, it isn't paced properly. That also being said. I knew that they'd pull this with Zessica, the minute they had her say that ultimately boys like Amata choose girls like Mikono, not her; and then had her change her image. None of that says that she is trying to get over Amata more like she's getting more desperate to get the attention of a guy who just isn't attracted to her. That said her behavior of this episode would have been more understandable if we had one or two more episodes in between it building up on these feelings.

As for Andy and Mix I find their problems reminiscent of Amata and Mikono in this episode, as the guy tries his best to tell a girl that he likes, her and makes it painfully obvious that he does, but she may return his feelings but is dealing with her own problems and therefore can not.

Last edited by wisteria233; 2012-05-01 at 13:34.
Old 2012-05-01, 19:06   Link #79
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
As for Andy and Mix I find their problems reminiscent of Amata and Mikono in this episode, as the guy tries his best to tell a girl that he likes, her and makes it painfully obvious that he does, but she may return his feelings but is dealing with her own problems and therefore can not.
I don't see the overlap at all. Andy goofed and has been moping without doing anything but throwing himself further and further into his hole of self-pity, MIX's problems give her a hard time to interact with him but its not like she didn't try at the start of the episode, he just wouldn't come out of his hole. Their later encounter is not under the best of circumstances and Andy is just entirely unapproachable the rest of the time.

The person who should be talking is Andy and this sets him closer to Zessica than it does Amata (who did try to talk but I cannot help but think he was being apologetic rather actually looking for answers), both Andy and Zessica need to sit down and talk with the other party which, as was conveniently orchestrated, neither did and neither set of problems could do anything but continue boiling until eventually the teapot started to scream. It was pretty standard drama build up routine for Andy, for Zessica, and its even looking like this episode was a build up for Amata soon getting a reality check from somewhere.
Old 2012-05-01, 19:52   Link #80
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
I don't see the overlap at all. Andy goofed and has been moping without doing anything but throwing himself further and further into his hole of self-pity, MIX's problems give her a hard time to interact with him but its not like she didn't try at the start of the episode, he just wouldn't come out of his hole. Their later encounter is not under the best of circumstances and Andy is just entirely unapproachable the rest of the time.

The person who should be talking is Andy and this sets him closer to Zessica than it does Amata (who did try to talk but I cannot help but think he was being apologetic rather actually looking for answers), both Andy and Zessica need to sit down and talk with the other party which, as was conveniently orchestrated, neither did and neither set of problems could do anything but continue boiling until eventually the teapot started to scream. It was pretty standard drama build up routine for Andy, for Zessica, and its even looking like this episode was a build up for Amata soon getting a reality check from somewhere.
Well I have to disagree with you, for Zessica sitting down and talking to Amata won't help her, since it won't get her what she wants and it won't make her come out of it with anything that she doesn't already know. Unlike Andy, Zessica was flat out rejected and in her case we know that Amata just isn't attracted to her like that (and probably never will return her feelings). Sitting down and talking to Amata won't make him suddenly feel anything for her, in Zessica's case she's in denial, the person who she likes doesn't like her back and she's changing her appearance and lying to herself and others saying that she's okay with just loving him, when really she's not okay at all. This is something that Zessica has to figure out herself. In fact in this episode someone did try to talk to her and it didn't help.

This is world of difference from Andy who if he did sit down and talk to Mix again, not unlike what Amata does with Mikono when she's pissed at him, or simply apologized to her properly and then said what he wanted to say, then there wouldn't be a problem. In other words his depression comes from him messing up. Thing is Amata usually snaps out of it before it goes to far.
Closed Thread