AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-11, 04:20   Link #461
T-6000

My brother and I first heard this news from a friend (when we visited her from just watching the third Batman movie), and at first we didn't believe her. I looked up the news on Anime News Network's site and sure enough, they mentioned the new Sailor Moon reboot. I had alot of trouble picking up my jaw, to say the least. I never honestly thought, in a million years, there would be a reboot of the Sailor Moon anime. I mean, I know it has found a resurgence of popularity these past few years (an increase in Sailor Moon shirts and merchandise in hot topic made this very apparent for me) but even then I never imagine a reboot would be even considered, much less went in production.

Ever since the announcement I've been checking every week for some new info on the reboot, only to be frustrated when no new information was made available. I'm very anxious for news because I pray to God, and the Nine Divines of the Elder scroll series, that this reboot sticks closer (much closer) to the Manga. Earlier this year I've read the newly translated Manga released by Kodansha Comics and I found myself enjoying the series once again (especially being increasingly disappointed with some of the newer Manga of today, Like Rosario + Vampire). I also decided to rewatch the Anime and....well.....it didn't "age" well with me. In fact, I found it to woefully pale in comparison to the Manga version. The Character changes and story changes I didn't care for much (especially making Sailor Moon weak and constantly getting her ass kicked), but the "Monster of the week" cliche didn't fit well with the Sailor Moon series. It actually felt dumb and outdated for me. The story and Character development in the Manga felt so much stronger.

I know there are actually some people that prefer the Anime over the Manga, and I don't mean to butt heads with them nor talk down on them. More power to those that prefer the Anime, I guess (and I will acknowledge that I did really liked the Anime when I first saw it, and it helped get me and many people in the states into Anime & Manga). But here's to hoping that the new Anime sticks closer to the Manga. Naoko-Sama wrote one of the best and most memorable Mangas I have ever read, and it'd be a shame to see her work of art changed in order to make it more "Marketable".
Old 2012-12-11, 04:40   Link #462
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I hope it has a lot of cheesy Usagi X Mamoru moments... nothing more nothing less.. no third party.. no never!
Old 2012-12-11, 09:37   Link #463
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
Ever since the announcement I've been checking every week for some new info on the reboot, only to be frustrated when no new information was made available. I'm very anxious for news because I pray to God, and the Nine Divines of the Elder scroll series, that this reboot sticks closer (much closer) to the Manga. Earlier this year I've read the newly translated Manga released by Kodansha Comics and I found myself enjoying the series once again (especially being increasingly disappointed with some of the newer Manga of today, Like Rosario + Vampire). I also decided to rewatch the Anime and....well.....it didn't "age" well with me. In fact, I found it to woefully pale in comparison to the Manga version. The Character changes and story changes I didn't care for much (especially making Sailor Moon weak and constantly getting her ass kicked), but the "Monster of the week" cliche didn't fit well with the Sailor Moon series. It actually felt dumb and outdated for me. The story and Character development in the Manga felt so much stronger.

I know there are actually some people that prefer the Anime over the Manga, and I don't mean to butt heads with them nor talk down on them. More power to those that prefer the Anime, I guess (and I will acknowledge that I did really liked the Anime when I first saw it, and it helped get me and many people in the states into Anime & Manga). But here's to hoping that the new Anime sticks closer to the Manga. Naoko-Sama wrote one of the best and most memorable Mangas I have ever read, and it'd be a shame to see her work of art changed in order to make it more "Marketable".
Totally agree about sticking closer to the manga.

I wonder how I'd feel about the anime if I rewatched it now... It's the longest series I've ever watched from start to finish. I don't know if I could stomach sitting through tens of filler episodes now with the monster-of-the-week. I'm sure I'd still enjoy it to a degree, but maybe not as much as I once did. I'd maybe have to skip to my favorite episodes and the main story ones.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2012-12-11, 22:14   Link #464
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
My brother and I first heard this news from a friend (when we visited her from just watching the third Batman movie), and at first we didn't believe her. I looked up the news on Anime News Network's site and sure enough, they mentioned the new Sailor Moon reboot. I had alot of trouble picking up my jaw, to say the least. I never honestly thought, in a million years, there would be a reboot of the Sailor Moon anime. I mean, I know it has found a resurgence of popularity these past few years (an increase in Sailor Moon shirts and merchandise in hot topic made this very apparent for me) but even then I never imagine a reboot would be even considered, much less went in production.

Monster of the week happens for most of the magical girl titles aimed at kids. Just look at Smile Precure which has gone thru one case of items to collect and is on its second. Even Madoka was witch of the week.

Part of the reason for the reboot is to make the franchise marketable to sell more manga etc. Sailor Moon is going to be duking it out with Precure.
Old 2012-12-12, 11:20   Link #465
xizro345
King's Justice

The difference is Sailormoon needs to be updated. Its formula is stale, and has been surpassed by some series that came after it.
Old 2012-12-12, 12:17   Link #466
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
This is pretty much the best news this year.
No, God no... I can already sense the fanservice overboard...
Old 2012-12-16, 02:19   Link #467
AmericanFairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Totally agree about sticking closer to the manga.

I wonder how I'd feel about the anime if I rewatched it now... It's the longest series I've ever watched from start to finish. I don't know if I could stomach sitting through tens of filler episodes now with the monster-of-the-week. I'm sure I'd still enjoy it to a degree, but maybe not as much as I once did. I'd maybe have to skip to my favorite episodes and the main story ones.
I've been slowly, but surely, re-watching it and I've got to say that it did not age well. Sad since it was the show that introduced me to anime and therefore holds a special place in my heart. I can only hope that this new version turns out to be better.
Old 2012-12-16, 02:44   Link #468
Horse

Depends what you're watching the show for.

If you're watching for "the story" (as I was when I was a little kid) it's certainly not that good (and it never was in the manga either) but if you are watching for the characters and comedy boy oh boy - it's still gold IMHO.
Old 2012-12-16, 13:59   Link #469
xizro345
King's Justice

More that not aging well, the concept as it was initially planned wasn't made to hold this long - see the sharp decline after Sailormoon S.
Old 2012-12-17, 13:38   Link #470
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

somehow it would be fun if this turned out to be one of those gritty reboots
Old 2012-12-20, 09:37   Link #471
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
the concept as it was initially planned wasn't made to hold this long - see the sharp decline after Sailormoon S.
The concept could go on forever, they just sorta stopped trying.
Old 2012-12-21, 09:29   Link #472
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
The concept could go on forever, they just sorta stopped trying.
I disagree. The story at S reached its limits. The manga was too focused on Usagi, while the anime was full of really pointless fillers.
Old 2012-12-21, 16:41   Link #473
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
while the anime was full of really pointless fillers.
Yeah I don't think you really understand the way Sailor Moon anime was made.
It was a monster-of-the-week show for young audiences, overarching story does not matter as much. That, of course, is no reason to halt the character development, but if you ask me, Usagi's story could've ended in season one and every next addition was as tacky as the last one, really, except for maybe parts of the second arc? Third one already somewhat stopped developing Usagi as a character and dealing with Moon Kingdom plot, but the execution was so good most people tend to overlook that.
Old 2012-12-21, 16:43   Link #474
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
No, God no... I can already sense the fanservice overboard...
Nah. Sailor Moon can't be ecchier than panty shots... It's a girly anime after all and I watch it!!!!!
Old 2012-12-23, 06:43   Link #475
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

I shall see what they will do with Hino Rei/Sailor Mars.

She was my first anime crush after all...
Old 2012-12-23, 21:45   Link #476
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Nah. Sailor Moon can't be ecchier than panty shots... It's a girly anime after all and I watch it!!!!!
Yah, despite it got alot of fanboys after all .
Old 2012-12-23, 21:48   Link #477
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
Yah, despite it got alot of fanboys after all .
Dude.. a girl's skirt is a man's paradise....
Old 2012-12-26, 17:57   Link #478
T-6000

It's been well over 5 months since the announcement, and so far......nothing. No teaser trailer, no screenshots, not even concept art! I'm at least eager to see the art direction for the new series. And no new information on the anime, how many seasons they plan (will they be doing more seasons if it's successful or are they planning to do the entire series no matter the ratings and DVD sales?) and will it be following the Manga closely, which I am hoping for, or branch off into it's own story? They are literally going into "Area 51" mode here.
Old 2012-12-27, 12:44   Link #479
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
It'd be reasonable to expect some more details at comiket this weekend,it's an event where companies generally give info about upcoming anime titles.Wouldn't guarantee it though.

If not I say we'll have info at the tokyo anime fair in march at the latest.
Old 2013-01-14, 16:56   Link #480
NoemiChan
Banned

Spoiler for Not yet sure:

Sailormoon banzai!!!! Sailormoon banzai!!!! Sailormoon banzai!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo