AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-11-10, 04:42   Link #1
Kyosan
ばか

Lightbulb Gundam SEED: A Model of U.S. Foreign Policy and the War on Terrorism

"Mobile Suit Gundam SEED" was produced by Sunrise and aired in Japan through 2002-2003. At the time of this writing, it is also being broadcast in the United States. Though it is doubtful that its creators intended to make the series a commentary on current events, it is interesting to note the many chilling parallels that exist between this fictional universe and our world today. As will be explained further below, the events of the "Bloody Valentine War" and the plot of "Gundam SEED" are closely linked with what we know of today as the USA's "War on Terrorism."

As this discussion relies heavily on plot information, I have enclosed it entirely within spoiler tags. Read at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Granted, a lot of these connections are rather loose, while others are not quite developed, but they are still worth taking a look at. And considering that Neutron-Jammers don't exist in the real world yet, we might be in even more danger of wiping out humanity than the people in Gundam SEED.

Yeah, I probably WAY overanalyzed this series. My apologies if I ruined the fun for you.

Last edited by Kyosan; 2004-11-10 at 04:55.
Kyosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 08:20   Link #2
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
There are many inconsistencies in your anaylsis - mainly you must remember that Islamic terrorists target America mainly as a backlash to American foreign policy in the Middle East (including unconditional support of Israel in the continuing Israeli-Palestinian conflict).

Part of this policy that backfired on Americans was the CIA plan to train, arm and cultivate Agfhanistan rebels during the Soviet occupation (these freedom fighters were later mostly recruited by the Al-Queda), subsequent policies to support the Shah in Iran despite Iranians hating their rule, and most ironically, supporting and arming Saddam Hussein's Iraq against Iran cultimating in the Iraq-Iran war. Of course, not to mention the many times where the US has vetoed all resolutions censuring the Israelis in the United Nations Security Council.

Of course, there are too many foreign policies boo-boos which were conducted in the name of American self-interests - mainly controlling and influencing the oil supply from the Middle East (even though America doesn't depend on Middle East oil so much so as her traditional allies) and maintaining unconditional support for the Israelis in the United Nations.

Thus, the situation America finds itself in is the result of long years of short sighted foreign policy that had selfishly put American interests in the Middle East ahead of the other ideals it claims to trumpet over the rest of the world.

The situation in SEED is vastly clearer - a case of racial discrimination against the Coordinators. This is unsurprising because the human race has a long history of discriminating against anyone different - not to mention the genetic superiority of Coordinators gives racial purity groups like Blue Cosmos more of a handle to strike against Coordinators in general.
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 09:43   Link #3
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
Or POSSIBLY, it's a fucking awesome show with lots of flashing explosions, horribly written emotional drama, AND a giant fucking parody of all the other Gundam shows that came before it.

Ya know.
Maybe. Just possibly.

And yes, I agree from the bottom of my bitter and twisted heart, that the United States, a country that has no "race" except the people who move their from fucking EVERYWHERE, is a giant ball of pent of racism in this day and age. And NATURALLY, every red blooded American (regardless of what his skin color may be, since everyone bleeds red) is out, every single one of them, to get the Arab people.
Including the vast number of Arab Americans.
Because Americans are racist.
Ya know. Just like how the OH MY GOD THE BLUE COSMOS YOU'RE RIGHT!
AndrewLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 12:37   Link #4
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!

Aoki seiju naru sekai no tameni ?
144M_HYPERION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 13:50   Link #5
aeolian

This topic leads to a sensitive issue, so it might be nice to calm down since this is only a gundam forum, although we are protected by the first ammendment(forgive my mispelling ), going to far may not be a good thing, i am not telling you guys are going too far, this is just a reminder.

I agree that U.S. is a country with filled with racism, and i agree that America went to war partially becuase of the oil control.

As pyu said, Seed is a case of racial discrimination, so as the war that is happening now in the real world, in the most recent tape released by Bin Laden, he mentioned that part of the reason that he attacked America and will have further attacks is because we Americans are discriminating their people in our homeland. 9/11 was casued by the terrorist and we blame them for everything, but don't we hold some part of the blame too?

I am not saying we are the cause of the war or anything, but we surely have to think about how we treat other people.

And 1 more thing that i dislike(not hating it) about this country: WHERE IS SOCCER?
aeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 15:00   Link #6
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
Quote:
Originally Posted by 144M_HYPERION
Aoki seiju naru sekai no tameni ?
Zaft no tame ni!
CompShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 15:38   Link #7
Sandrock
A-Kingdom Editor

To be perfectly honest, I've often read a certain degree of commentary on the real world situation in the original SEED plot, but somewhat in reverse to the one suggested here. For me, it all came into play when the Atlantic Federation started pressuring all the neutral nations (Equatorial Alliance, ORB, Kingdom of Scandinavia, etc) to join the Earth Alliance against ZAFT with a perhaps-familiar "if you not with us, you're against us" worldview. Read what you may into that.
Sandrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 16:25   Link #8
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
Most, debatably all, Gundam series have always been made as a commentary on real life war situations, and I don't think SEED is an exception. You can take of it what you may, but they definately left possibility to see satire...

I think it's also an avoidable bi-product of making a realistic story based on war. They have additionally fostered it to be even more so.
CompShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 16:55   Link #9
Takemi_Ikazuchi

America got into the mess it is in now because of its foreign policy towards Israel that puts her in odds with the Islamic world.

Personally, I also blame Brittain for promosing the land to both the Israelis and the Palestinians, and leaving it at that. Now that think about it... the Germans were also guilty for providing the settlers.... Argh.. it's so frustrating.

The 2nd cause would be our hegemony over the world. Youths of every culture watch our movies, buy our products, listen to our music.

Claims of discrimation is mostly enemy propaganda. America actually treats its minorities better than due to reverse discrimination. Everyone and their mother is taking out the descrimination card and no one wants to get sued in country which has the most number of laywers in world.

Not to mention that we're a melting pot culture which leads to even more potential trouble.

Last edited by Takemi_Ikazuchi; 2004-11-10 at 19:36.
Takemi_Ikazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 17:34   Link #10
K'9999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosan
"Mobile Suit Gundam SEED" was produced by Sunrise and aired in Japan through 2002-2003. At the time of this writing, it is also being broadcast in the United States. Though it is doubtful that its creators intended to make the series a commentary on current events, it is interesting to note the many chilling parallels that exist between this fictional universe and our world today. As will be explained further below, the events of the "Bloody Valentine War" and the plot of "Gundam SEED" are closely linked with what we know of today as the USA's "War on Terrorism."

As this discussion relies heavily on plot information, I have enclosed it entirely within spoiler tags. Read at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Granted, a lot of these connections are rather loose, while others are not quite developed, but they are still worth taking a look at. And considering that Neutron-Jammers don't exist in the real world yet, we might be in even more danger of wiping out humanity than the people in Gundam SEED.

Yeah, I probably WAY overanalyzed this series. My apologies if I ruined the fun for you.
How dare you compare SEED to America. Then you should hurry up to watch entire SEED Destiny, so you can predict the future of America. Will Bush end up with his death?
K'9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 19:33   Link #11
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
American cultural hegemony has much to do with privately held American elements - such as corporations, entertainers, etc and little to do with traditional icons of power - i.e. government and associated military power. It is unsurprising to find out that much of that emmanates from America's largest cities - which are truly global entities.

The single sole reason why the American government wields so much political power in world affairs is because the world has, in a way, given it that power which in turn, was earned by the immeasurable amount of goodwill that was earned post World War II and the need of a strong leader during the Cold War.

It seems that the Bush administration - and most Americans - has failed to recognize this fact. American wields so much power was because the world has allowed it to happen and that past American leaders had the foresight to build the goodwill that has in turn given you that power - and not because some overarching God has given that right to your great nation.

Continue to abuse that, whittling away the goodwill - and you would find the world slipping from your fingers.
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 19:47   Link #12
Takemi_Ikazuchi

To the eyes of religious extremist, America's cultural hegemony very offensive.

America's current problem is its directness in its approach. It's no secret that all countries are ultimately for themselves, but the current administration has a subtlety of a Hi-Mat Attack

Seed is actually black and white compared to the current world situation.
Takemi_Ikazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 19:48   Link #13
agrippa
shop smart shop "s'' mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'9999
How dare you compare SEED to America. Then you should hurry up to watch entire SEED Destiny, so you can predict the future of America. Will Bush end up with his death?
whoah there tiger
how DARE you attempt to put together a sentence outside of your native language to bash someone's insightful and entertaining analysis...

bah

:P
agrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-11, 01:25   Link #14
K'9999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrippa
whoah there tiger
how DARE you attempt to put together a sentence outside of your native language to bash someone's insightful and entertaining analysis...

bah

:P
Did you get mistake? Sentence structure or something? Point them out!
K'9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 00:51   Link #15
Altimit

LMAO at post above. Kid, quit while your ahead... oh wait, it's too late.

Anyhow, interesting analisys, some of your ideas seemed inconisstant with each other as they reversed which real world parties you were comparing the groups in SEED with but still an interesting and insightfull read.
Altimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 03:15   Link #16
sinistral
SOS団

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrock
To be perfectly honest, I've often read a certain degree of commentary on the real world situation in the original SEED plot, but somewhat in reverse to the one suggested here. For me, it all came into play when the Atlantic Federation started pressuring all the neutral nations (Equatorial Alliance, ORB, Kingdom of Scandinavia, etc) to join the Earth Alliance against ZAFT with a perhaps-familiar "if you not with us, you're against us" worldview. Read what you may into that.
Your post makes me think of something like this :

Atlantic Federation : United Nations(USA)
Earth Alliance : USA(its the same)
Neutral Nations : Nations under coalition force against Iraq(1 nice example : Japan)
ZAFT : Terrorist ? (but now in GSD, it seems like ZAFT is the better side of the two EA or ZAFT)
sinistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 04:28   Link #17
haunterex

Send a message via ICQ to haunterex
if there are any similarity, it is no surprise. History and the events that took place with the rise of the human race have been very interesting. I am sure writers research and reshuffle the historic events and twist them into something new and refreshing.
haunterex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 15:40   Link #18
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, seems Gundam SEED Destiny is actually somewhat inspired by the US/Iraq war. From a new update on the official site
http://www.gundam-seed-d.net/special/inter_02.html
yup it is mentioned that Bush's war on Iraq for his reelection and the world situation inspired some ideas in the show.

Hmm... come to think about it now, yup it sounds really somewhat similar to the US/Iraq war. Some terrorists strike Earth, EA demands PLANT which is not associated with the terrorists to do some impossible things, and waging a war despite there are oppositions from lots of countries.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 15:45   Link #19
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, seems Gundam SEED Destiny is actually somewhat inspired by the US/Iraq war. From a new update on the official site
http://www.gundam-seed-d.net/special/inter_02.html
yup it is mentioned that Bush's war on Iraq for his reelection and the world situation inspired some ideas in the show.

Hmm... come to think about it now, yup it sounds really somewhat similar to the US/Iraq war. Some terrorists strike Earth, EA demands PLANT which is not associated with the terrorists to do some impossible things, and waging a war despite there are oppositions from lots of countries.
Dreamless that's why I was thinking, Destiny seems a lot more like the recent US policy.

A terrorist attack by a rogue element(the radical islamic terrorists) of a collective people who feel oppressed(muslim states) by US policy send the US into saying they need to conquer these other nations(Afghan & Iraq) as a pre-emptive strike to prevent future attacks.

A terrorist attack by a rogue element (The left-over Patrick Zala faction) of a collective people who feel oppressed(Coordinators) by EA policy send the EA into saying they need to conquer Plant as a pre-emptive strike to prevent future attacks.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 17:26   Link #20
Scherazade
Asturian Guymelef

WHile I dislike comparing fictional material to the real world, the Atlantic Federation's ultimatum to Orb was somewhat similar to the ultimatum Bush gave prior to the start of the war in Iraq. In both situations, it was asked that A)The nation's leader set down/leave the country and B)That the nation disarm itself [and to an extent forfiet its sovereignty].

I am no fan of Saddam Hussein, but he and Uzumi gave their respective opponents the same answer "Go **** yourself." Which is the response that most leaders would give. Fortunately, Saddam was the one that got the short end of the stick. Good thing he didn't detonate the oil stockpiles, oh, wait that would have require that he have the weapons to do that. Anyway, I think that's the only parallels that I'm going to make between the real world and the fictional one. Be respectful to each other's beliefs.
Scherazade is offline   Reply With Quote