Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-22, 13:42   Link #361
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Says the guy that says that max settings at decent framerates is the PC Dream....everybody always wants the best but you can NEVER get the best because the best of today will be dinosaur by tomorrow.
Honestly, I don't even play very demading games (in fact, my favorite games run fine in a single card).

But I plan on getting a 120hz monitor soon, and I bet my setup won't choke to reach +100fps.

Of course I can say I have the best, at the moment
Old 2013-05-22, 13:47   Link #362
Nikusu

Send a message via AIM to Nikusu Send a message via MSN to Nikusu
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Just keep on failing Microsoft. A gaming industry with only Sony and Nintendo as the main console competitors sounds pretty awesome to me right now, and it's looking more and more likely.~
Yeah because having less competition is really great for the consumer. Oh wait...

My only problem is the lack of clarification. Is this going to be always on? What about used games? I hear conflicting reports from journalists that were able to attend the hands on session. However, I will defend to the death how stupid it sounds when people cry about the Xbox One not being a gaming system. It was a console reveal. It's going to continue having great games. If you liked the Xbox 360 buy the Xbox One. This was a showcase of how it's going to be different from the PS4. They also said repeatedly that they would announce, in depth, their lineup at E3. They probably should have handled it differently, but they shouldn't have to spell it out, "We. Will. Not. Be. Announcing. All. Our. Games. Today." I mean, hell, how can you not get excited when out of the seven games shown only two of them were from the referenced fifteen exclusives list?

As a PS3 and Xbox 360 owner I don't understand why people have to pick sides. Yes, there's bad ports, but in general play a console that you're comfortable with and the system you want the exclusives for.

Also, PC debates are stupid. While I love modding Skyrim I can't imagine gaming without Uncharted or Halo. Keep that trash out of here.
Nikusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 14:15   Link #363
T-6000

Quote:
Apparently now Indie developers won't be able to self-publish on the One like they could with the 360 XBLA.

Just keep on failing Microsoft. A gaming industry with only Sony and Nintendo as the main console competitors sounds pretty awesome to me right now, and it's looking more and more likely.~
Somehow, I'm not surprised. Microsoft wanted strict control over the Xbox 360 and it's networking capabilities and it seems that their control would only tighten with the Xbox one. A surprising number of indie developers don't rely on distributors (except when they sell physical copies) to either cut costs, because they can't afford it, want to avoid the hassles of dealing with a publisher, or all 3 of these factors combined together. Being told how you'll be distributing your product won't sit well with many Indie developers and thus they'll most likely they'll just flock to the other consoles and PC.

Hell, even Penny Arcade was disappointed with the XBox One reveal yesterday. And they tend to be staunch Microsoft supporters.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/05/22/ms-stuff
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 14:33   Link #364
Xion Valkyrie

It doesn't really matter because CoD/EA Sports will still sell the console like they did the XboX 360. All the multimedia features as well as the new kinect will probably make it a very appealing item to buy for families who only play games casually. Those 2 demographics wouldn't care about all the restrictions that the Xbox One has.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 14:36   Link #365
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv23 View Post
Yeah because having less competition is really great for the consumer. Oh wait...
I'd like it to happen because if it does there won't be any console I'm not supporting anymore. I've never owned any Xbox before and never will, but I figure it doesn't matter because Microsoft still makes the superior desktop computer and operating system, so they have the majority of the PC gaming market behind them.

Quote:
They also said repeatedly that they would announce, in depth, their lineup at E3. They probably should have handled it differently, but they shouldn't have to spell it out, "We. Will. Not. Be. Announcing. All. Our. Games. Today." I mean, hell, how can you not get excited when out of the seven games shown only two of them were from the referenced fifteen exclusives list?
More rational folk are willing to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt because of this reason actually, but they're still very pessimistic because there's no guarantee these games are going to be appealing. What they've shown so far at this reveal isn't doing them any good either. Idiotic business decisions combined with features gamers couldn't give two shits about is a very bad combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
It doesn't really matter because CoD/EA Sports will still sell the console like they did the XboX 360. All the multimedia features as well as the new kinect will probably make it a very appealing item to buy for families who only play games casually. Those 2 demographics wouldn't care about all the restrictions that the Xbox One has.
This is why I've mentioned already that all of this shit going on right now probably won't even matter in the end because casuals are going to eat up the One like dinner.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2013-05-22 at 14:52.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 14:39   Link #366
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I don't see the improvement of having these kinds of competitors trying to shape the industry for the worse.

Quote:
My only problem is the lack of clarification. Is this going to be always on? What about used games? I hear conflicting reports from journalists that were able to attend the hands on session. However, I will defend to the death how stupid it sounds when people cry about the Xbox One not being a gaming system. It was a console reveal. It's going to continue having great games.
How do you know this?

Unless by great games you mean another Halo, another Gears, another CoD, and tons of sports games.

Quote:
If you liked the Xbox 360 buy the Xbox One. This was a showcase of how it's going to be different from the PS4. They also said repeatedly that they would announce, in depth, their lineup at E3. They probably should have handled it differently, but they shouldn't have to spell it out, "We. Will. Not. Be. Announcing. All. Our. Games. Today." I mean, hell, how can you not get excited when out of the seven games shown only two of them were from the referenced fifteen exclusives list?
Their line up of games.

As for the system itself, it has all these features that not long focuses on gaming and that's why people are saying that it isn't a gaming console anymore.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 14:44   Link #367
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
This is why I've mentioned already that all of this shit going on right now probably won't even matter in the end because casuals are going to eat up the One like dinner.
Dunno about sports games, but if casuals would eat this up like dinner, wouldn't they have done the same with the Wii U?

The xbox one's function as a TV guide multitasker would have to be really appealing.
Old 2013-05-22, 14:48   Link #368
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
My only problem is the lack of clarification. Is this going to be always on? What about used games? I hear conflicting reports from journalists that were able to attend the hands on session. However, I will defend to the death how stupid it sounds when people cry about the Xbox One not being a gaming system. It was a console reveal. It's going to continue having great games. If you liked the Xbox 360 buy the Xbox One. This was a showcase of how it's going to be different from the PS4. They also said repeatedly that they would announce, in depth, their lineup at E3. They probably should have handled it differently, but they shouldn't have to spell it out, "We. Will. Not. Be. Announcing. All. Our. Games. Today." I mean, hell, how can you not get excited when out of the seven games shown only two of them were from the referenced fifteen exclusives list?
In a word, yes. You'll need an internet connection in order to play (yes, even single player), and you'll need your online pass that binds your specific game to your gamer tag. For used games you're going to have to pay a fee.

And the reason why no one gives a shit about the new XBOX exclusives is if this is Microsoft's "strong response" to the PS4, they should have just waited until E3. I can tell you right now; if they pushed the press conference date back a month for THIS disappointing pile of failure, then things are not looking good for Microsoft in the next generation of console wars.

And just because they said there was going to be 15 new exclusives doesn't mean they're going to be GOOD. I'm going to go ahead and estimate that 4-5 of them will be worth playing, tops. And I'm being pretty generous here, because I'm sure one of the new exclusives will be... you guessed it --- Halo 5.

If they actually had anything good, they would have shown it and let it hype up between now and E3 to get people excited. No one with any idea of how marketing works would continue to keep something secret when it could promote a new product. (Then again, Microsoft isn't exactly showing its great wisdom and foresight with this announcement, so I wouldn't be surprised either way.)

Also consider the fact that you're going to have to INSTALL games. Think of how fast your 500 GB harddrive on the XBOX One is going to fill up. Also don't forget things like save game files, DLCs, and various updates.

In the end I'll vote with my wallet. If I buy a console it's going to be a PS4. Nothing about the new XBOX One interests me in the slightest.
Old 2013-05-22, 14:50   Link #369
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
Dunno about sports games, but if casuals would eat this up like dinner, wouldn't they have done the same with the Wii U?

The xbox one's function as a TV guide multitasker would have to be really appealing.
Paying $400 seems awfully expensive if you're only buying it for its multimedia features. Most expensive remote control, ever.
Old 2013-05-22, 14:51   Link #370
Destined_Fate

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS...mparison_Chart

For comparisons sake.

I wonder how badly it will be affected running three OS at the same time and using Cloud. The One already has a lesser RAM than the PS4 so I can only imagine how this may affect things. Really hope it isn't a repeat of the PS3 vs 360 where games were made for the 360 and very few took advantage of PS3 being more powerful.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 14:54   Link #371
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
My only problem is the lack of clarification. Is this going to be always on? What about used games? I hear conflicting reports from journalists that were able to attend the hands on session.
The statements I've heard from Microsoft seem pretty clear they're going for a account rather than disc based license model, but with some yet undetailed mechanisms for sub-accounts and transferring/selling games. It's totally possible the transfer model will suck (we know there will be a fee involved somewhere), but the "no used games" thing is pretty much pure hyperbole at this point.

(I'll also note that I think the live TV stuff is essentially a "control you cable box via your console via HDMI, if it supports control via HDMI" thing. Not particularly complicated, to be honest.)

Surprised nobody has mentioned Anandtech analysis of the hardware that suggests this could have a third less GPU power than PS4. My guess is we see this become the "baseline" for which new games are developed, with the PS4 and higher end PCs getting some extra graphical features.

For the technically inclined, Anandtech speculates GPU power will be about 1.23 TFlops, so not particularly high by PC standards (see Wikipedia's list of AMD graphics processors for where it falls. Though of course the console version will be much more optimized and when the SRAM cache on the APU is factored in, memory bandwidth actually looks pretty decent.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 14:57   Link #372
Dextro
He Without a Title

I bought a 360 about the same time they finally fixed the RROD issue to play the exclusive games it had. Exclusives that Microsoft paid dearly for early on in the generation to try and snatch the Japanese market. It failed and plenty of those exclusives ended up going multi-platform eventually.

Afterwards there was virtually no exclusive left for me and the 360 has been gathering dust while I bought a PS3 to play games (and not stare at an empty home screen since all those "value added" services are unsupported where I live).

The last exclusive I bought for the bloody thing was Forza 4. Before that: Forza 3. Before that: Fable 2. As you can see, aside from Forza, Microsoft hasn't managed to net an exclusive that I would buy since 2008! From then all the games I either spent money on the PS3 or the PC.

And to think I bought the 360 to play Eternal Sonata and Castle Crashers... Suits me right hum?

PS: all this to point out one thing: Microsoft hasn't managed to show me that it cares about gamers. It cares about the big AAA CODs, Halos and Maddens but not much more.
Old 2013-05-22, 15:01   Link #373
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
If you look at the chart there are two areas that are To Be Announced that could give the PS4 the ability to utterly crush the XBOX One in the upcoming console war.

Those are: Used Game Fee and Subscription Service. If those are No and Free respectively, it's no contest. Secondary concerns would be Mandatory Game Installs and Storage. If we have mandatory installation, they better give us lots of storage.

But if the PS4 is more in-line with the PS3 (i.e. free online subscriptions) than the XBOX One is with the XBOX 360, things are looking quite grim for Microsoft.

I'm still not happy about zero backwards compatibility for either. It's like both Sony and Microsoft are TRYING to piss gamers off. They're certainly on their way to fully succeeding with flying colors. Well, at least Sony is at least attempting to hide their corporate greed. Microsoft isn't even bothering to make the attempt.
Old 2013-05-22, 15:02   Link #374
Kyuu
=^^=

To no surprise:

Quote:
Indie Developers Won’t Be Able to Self-Publish on Xbox One

The solo and small-team game-makers who’ve made games like Fez, Braid and Limbo won’t be able to control their own destinies on Microsoft’s next game console, according to a Shack News report.

The article quotes Matt Booty, who is Microsoft’s general manager of Redmond Game Studios and Platforms, as confirming that indie devs will still need publishers to get their games onto the newly revealed console. Booty does say that Microsoft will explore new business models, though.
http://kotaku.com/indie-developers-w...xbox-509271999

Old business models = Obsolete.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 15:03   Link #375
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
It wasn't really the Call of Duty series that helped sell the XBox 360 (since the COD series is multiplatform) but some of the exclusives such as the Halo series and the Gears of War series. But with the XBox One I fear Microsoft could become even more aggressive to promote the new console by pressuring even more developers to make exclusive content for the console (timed DLCs come to mind, or even DLCs only on the XBox One) or making titles exclusive to the new console. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they started looking towards Valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Really hope it isn't a repeat of the PS3 vs 360 where games were made for the 360 and very few took advantage of PS3 being more powerful.
I don't believe that will be the case this time around, since the CPU for the PS4 will be easier to work with (at least for Western Developers).
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 15:06   Link #376
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I was wondering what they meant by impulse triggers on the new controller and this article explains them:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...oller-hands-on

For once the xbox one actually impresses me with something. Having individual rumble motors in the triggers could mean tactile feedback to things like road surface in driving games, or indication of where damage is coming from in shooters, and perhaps more.
Old 2013-05-22, 15:06   Link #377
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Another nail in the XBOX One's coffin (before it's even born, no less). Sony is promising to have indie development.

Why do I keep getting the feeling that roles have reversed? I used to feel that Microsoft actually cared about the hardcore gamers. Apparently that's no longer the case. I'm glad Sony is deciding to make the PS4 gamer-centric.

If BOTH Sony and Microsoft pulled this crap, we the consumers would be screwed.
Old 2013-05-22, 15:08   Link #378
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
If you look at the chart there are two areas that are To Be Announced that could give the PS4 the ability to utterly crush the XBOX One in the upcoming console war.

Those are: Used Game Fee and Subscription Service. If those are No and Free respectively, it's no contest. Secondary concerns would be Mandatory Game Installs and Storage. If we have mandatory installation, they better give us lots of storage.
The used game fee won't be an issue if Microsoft quickly moves to a mostly digital distribution model, but that's extremely radical for the console market. The only reason why I raise the possibility is that "account based" licensing for games was pretty radical on the PC at one time too. As I keep reminding people, gamers hated Steam when it first came out because of the DRM it imposed on boxed copies.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 15:14   Link #379
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
The used game fee won't be an issue if Microsoft quickly moves to a mostly digital distribution model, but that's extremely radical for the console market. The only reason why I raise the possibility is that "account based" licensing for games was pretty radical on the PC at one time too. As I keep reminding people, gamers hated Steam when it first came out because of the DRM it imposed on boxed copies.
Assuming you never, ever want to rent a game or borrow a friend's before you decide whether or not to buy it.

It also gives a big middle finger to retailers. Gamestop primarily, plus any other retailer that sells games for that matter.

A digital distribution model will only work if everyone else does it, too. Otherwise people that prefer buying stuff from retailers (again, used games because they're cheaper), will simply not buy the XBOX One.
Old 2013-05-22, 15:21   Link #380
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Gamestop deserves a middle finger. They are the only people actually profiting from used game sales.

If Gamestop took a percentage off the top of used game sales and gave that to the developers I don't think we'd be seeing so many draconian runs on the First Sale Doctrine.