AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2020-08-21, 13:27   Link #41
Tenzen12

Killing Frenda was such waste. By doing it Mugino became sole interesting character of Shiage faction until Golden Cabal arc...
Old 2020-08-21, 15:24   Link #42
Robotech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Well, Yumiya got most of her face blown off, but on the plus side she now thinks she and Frenda are somehow friends just because they went all out on each other. Psychos, am I right? Although that instability is apparently what drove her out of SCHOOL and miss the Battle Royale, so I guess now she's probably still steaming about a rematch against "Barbie" that'll probably never happen. I wonder if she actually fixed her face in the interim ?
Didn't the battle royale establish that Yumiya was killed off screen during it?
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-21, 16:39   Link #43
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
There was so much going on that they might've, although that would be a little disappointing .
Old 2020-08-21, 17:44   Link #44
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
They(ITEM) did get rid off Rakko afterwards which is why SCHOOL hired Shimizu as replacement.

Last edited by Kuroageha; 2020-08-22 at 13:04.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-21, 20:04   Link #45
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I wasn't quite sure on the timeline until we saw Uiharu's injuries from what Kakine did to her, so it was after the Battle Royale. Meaning the reason Frenda wasn't there was because Mugino killed her. And Saten may never know what happened to her .
Yeah, I liked that subtle little detail showing the timeline.

Really do wonder if Saten will ever find out what happened (maybe not that Mugino, specifically, killed her, but that she's dead). That'd be an interesting character arc for her, and her subsequent reaction to that vis a vi Mikoto.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 01:05   Link #46
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I kind of hope that Saten finds out. It will hurt like heck but...always wondering will hurt too. Of course I've been hoping Mikoto's friends would be let into the loop that she's got clones and doesn't seem like that will ever happen. So who knows.

Either way it's just one more layer of tragedy. Frenda survived one hell of a showdown, but ended up missing her dinner date. To be honest I forgot Uiharu had gotten hurt since I mostly forgot 90% of the mess that was Index S3. Frenda's fate was pretty well one of the few details that stuck.

I kind of wonder what they intend to do with Yumiya. No point in having her survive the fight with Frenda at all unless there's some purpose for her in the future of the series. But guess we'll find out eventually. Kind of amazing she's not dead considering she had bombs stuffed in her face and explosives raining down on her.

Either way it was a pretty great episode. Definitely the kind of sendoff battle that Frenda deserved but was denied in the main series. Didn't completely stop being herself, but she did save a friend. Not sure that brought her any peace at the end considering how she went out, but be nice to think she could rest easier knowing she did some good.
Old 2020-08-22, 03:25   Link #47
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

They should have just deviated from the gaiden "Toaru Majutsu no Index" and let Frenda live.

BTW, forget surviving. Receiving several explosives in the mouth and several around the body probably wouldn't even leave much of a body left.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 03:34   Link #48
GDB

Well, they said Yobou (sp?) saved her at the last second. So guessing the explosives started going off in her mouth, took out part of her mouth/nose/throat/face, and then he did his psychokinesis thing to prevent any further explosion into her body.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 04:44   Link #49
magnuskn

Yeah, killing Fremda was really a waste. Oh, well.
Old 2020-08-22, 13:07   Link #50
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Well, they said Yobou (sp?) saved her at the last second. So guessing the explosives started going off in her mouth, took out part of her mouth/nose/throat/face, and then he did his psychokinesis thing to prevent any further explosion into her body.
Accelerator with a damaged brain bleeding was able to use his telekinesis to stop a wound blood loss on Yoshikawa I think it's fair assume another telekinetic esper like Youbou would be able to stop Rakko's imminent death by pulling a similar feat, too bad she dies afterwards anyway.
Old 2020-08-23, 01:58   Link #51
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, killing Fremda was really a waste. Oh, well.
The reason why Frenda has had such a big role in Railgun is exactly because she dies.

Keeping continuity between Railgun and the main series must be difficult. You can do whatever you want with a character that's going to die later.

Or perhaps the author thought that killing her off in the main series was a bit waste. Maybe the real reason that they put ITEM in Railgun was to give Frenda more screentime, rather than making Misaka and Mugino fight each other.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-23, 02:50   Link #52
Tenzen12

Regardless of reasoning it remain fact that franchise would be better with Frenda then it is without her. So yes its waste.
Old 2020-08-23, 04:57   Link #53
Primary Consult

That ep (this arc) was awesome! It showed how Frenda's character is simultaneously good and bad. Her interactions with Saten all show the good, while the bad was her carelessness with bystanders (kicking the golfer, bomb tripwire, glue trap). Sortof continues from her firing missiles into buildings just to block off the kidnapping in the previous ep.

Re: Rakko's fate - I thought Kakine ordered Measure Heart to "deal with her" in response to her obsession with getting revenge? Possibly adding one final poetic similarity with Frenda, death by offscreen execution from teammate. ITEM wouldn't know she had survived an extra day so they would assume that Frenda had finished her off.

Sunazara fits SCHOOLs profile better anyway, the type of hunter that prefers an efficient kill rather than toying with the target.

I'm also amused that this entire storyline was a series of escalations due to misunderstandings. From what we know of Measure Heart's interrogation abilities from the discussion between the grunts last week (and how Kakine lets people who don't bother him go), Saten would have likely been interrogated and released if the kidnapping had gone without a hitch. However Frenda was convinced Saten was going to be murdered, perhaps that's what ITEM would have done...
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-23, 06:34   Link #54
Wandering Soul

You pretty much get attached to Frenda at your own peril since she was pretty much created to die.
Old 2020-08-23, 09:14   Link #55
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Consult View Post
Re: Rakko's fate - I thought Kakine ordered Measure Heart to "deal with her" in response to her obsession with getting revenge? Possibly adding one final poetic similarity with Frenda, death by offscreen execution from teammate. ITEM wouldn't know she had survived an extra day so they would assume that Frenda had finished her off.
In the original/main/Index ITEM said they deal with SCHOOL sniper days before so the new guy was the sustitute. Recent material as manga and Index III anime specifically mention Rakko. In this point of time Frenda didn't know that Rakko was SCHOOL sniper so the implication is that she return for round 2 and met death.

This arc was pretty good but my only, errr, regret I could say is that it seemed to set a conflict between Mikoto gang and SCHOOL. It would have been cool as it would have had Kuroko vs Youbou and Mikoto vs Kakine.

Last edited by LKK; 2020-08-23 at 09:27. Reason: Posts merged. Don't post multiple times in a row. Use Edit button instead.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-23, 09:28   Link #56
Tenzen12

That wouldn't be cool at all. If Kakine and Mikoto fought it would be just repetition of sisters arc and Touma saved Mikoto once this season already...
Old 2020-08-23, 13:19   Link #57
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
The reason why Frenda has had such a big role in Railgun is exactly because she dies.

Keeping continuity between Railgun and the main series must be difficult. You can do whatever you want with a character that's going to die later.

Or perhaps the author thought that killing her off in the main series was a bit waste. Maybe the real reason that they put ITEM in Railgun was to give Frenda more screentime, rather than making Misaka and Mugino fight each other.
To be honest (anime only watcher here) I wouldn't have cared about ITEM half as much as I did in Index III without having watched them in Railgun. Maybe that's the anime's fault, but still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
In the original/main/Index ITEM said they deal with SCHOOL sniper days before so the new guy was the sustitute. Recent material as manga and Index III anime specifically mention Rakko. In this point of time Frenda didn't know that Rakko was SCHOOL sniper so the implication is that she return for round 2 and met death.
I guess there's an "out" if they want to tell one more Frenda story and give Rakko an on-screen conclusion.
Quote:
This arc was pretty good but my only, errr, regret I could say is that it seemed to set a conflict between Mikoto gang and SCHOOL. It would have been cool as it would have had Kuroko vs Youbou and Mikoto vs Kakine.
Yeah, I'm kind of ready for the main character to actually do stuff .
Old 2020-08-23, 14:18   Link #58
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
That wouldn't be cool at all. If Kakine and Mikoto fought it would be just repetition of sisters arc and Touma saved Mikoto once this season already...
That should depend in how the story is structured. It doesn't need Touma, also don't need Mikoto winning against Kakine.
Old 2020-08-23, 15:11   Link #59
Tenzen12

And what would be point of Kakine causaly kicking Mikoto ass and he is not kind of person who would just spare her...
Old 2020-08-23, 21:58   Link #60
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
And what would be point of Kakine causaly kicking Mikoto ass and he is not kind of person who would just spare her...
Kakine is not fully unbreakeble as Accelerator and a fight to see all the tricks Mikoto can use aside of brute force and more of "Kakine" abilities as we only saw him in one big fight. Also yes, actually Kakine doesn't go out of his way to kill a enemy if is not in the way of his plans, deemed the whole thing useless or such enemy doesn't get in his nerves or is not Accelerator. Again, it depends in how the story is structured, but it can be made.