Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-15, 08:29   Link #1
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Favorite BONES series?

Simple. Which is your favorite series made by BONES? I did not include Karakuri Kiden Hiwou Senki, their first series, because it is not available in English yet. It has been licensed recently, though. There is a group working on it but I cannot name them.

I have not included Angelic Layer either, because it was a joint project with Clamp.

So the choices are Wolf's Rain, Scrapped Princess, RahXephon, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kenran Butoh Sai The Mars Daybreak, and KURAU Phantom Memory. Please give a reason for your choice.

I've seen all 30 episodes of Wolf's Rain, the first nine episodes of RahXephon, the first four episodes of Scrapped Princess, the first 13 episodes of Kenran, the first two episodes of KURAU, and 37 episodes of FMA... FMA, though, is my favorite out of all of these. This may be due to the reason that it's already so far in the storyline, but Wolf's Rain is/was a contender. I loved the characters and the plot, and especially episodes 27-29. The only major flaw with WR were the four recap episodes. Kenran is an excellent series with great characters, action, and humor (though not much plot), but there is no English availability yet past episode 13. Kurau, I've seen too little of to be sure.

BONES is definitely my second favorite animes studio, though. They've never done anything I haven't enjoyed.

EDIT: Sorry, this was supposed to be a poll, but just as I hit the Post button my Internet browser crashed. So the thread was posted without a poll, and I don't know how to edit a poll into this post.

EDIT EDIT: Sorry! I can't believe I forgot Xephon. I knew something was missing ^^

Last edited by Fighter Volk; 2004-07-15 at 09:15.
Old 2004-07-15, 08:35   Link #2
Navi en Grey

I like Rahxephon. Thats probably their best anime. ^^

- Navi
Old 2004-07-15, 08:57   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Hmm... how did you miss RahXephon as a BONES anime. Definitely BONES' greatest creation yet

Wolf' Rain second, Scrapped Princess third (though Scrapped Princess is not BONES' original creation)... for KURAU it's still too early to judge it IMO...
Old 2004-07-15, 14:30   Link #4
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

To me, that question is very easy- Scrapped Princess

But I do really like Fullmetal Alchemist and Rax as well, and Kurau may be very good, indeed
Old 2004-07-15, 14:41   Link #5
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God

Send a message via AIM to Invoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Hmm... how did you miss RahXephon as a BONES anime. Definitely BONES' greatest creation yet
I don't know, I though RahXephon was pretty mediocre myself. Episode 19 was amazing, but the rest was pretty "meh."
Old 2004-07-15, 16:29   Link #6
Killerattacks

Quote:
So the choices are Wolf's Rain, Scrapped Princess, RahXephon, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kenran Butoh Sai The Mars Daybreak, and KURAU Phantom Memory. Please give a reason for your choice.
I'd say (didnt watch RX yet): Wolfs Rain. On a shared second place scrapped princess and Kurau. And by far the last place: Full Metal Alchemist.
Old 2004-07-15, 19:33   Link #7
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Angelic layer should be in, CLAMP is not a production company but a crew of mangaka.

FMA is still their best so far- Raxh got rather plodding past the first 15 episodes IMO and while I know it's pretty good I still haven't found the time to watch the end. FMA has been a showcase of rocking melee as well as animation stability, interesting characters, excellent VA work all round, is more than a match for its manga pedigree, has great music and the ability to shock the viewers with tragic death when needed. Only pray the folks who bought the licence to this show don't screw up.

Scrapped Princess, thought it was rather weak in plot and execution- but the characters here were pretty engaging with Orikasa Fumiko's Brat Princess single handedly carrying this show on her back. I'm serious, because ordinarily I wouldn't give the time of day to keep d'loading a series that featured a spoilt, self-centered, somewhat clueless and tempermental girl the entire planet wants to kill [shades of Asuka]. It's her ability to switch to a person of both fortitude and courage flawlessly despite being marked for death gives her the Princess title. Quite a contrast to watch since one moment she'll be grating on your nerves and the next you can't help but love the girl for her charm and nobility.

Currently undecided on the Mars Daybreak- it's light viewing so far and nothing really outstanding has appeared in the 13 episodes subbed before this show got picked up. Ah well, some crazy fellow will keep at it sooner or later so I'm not worried anyway.
Old 2004-07-15, 20:40   Link #8
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

SCRAPPED PRINCESS
Old 2004-07-15, 21:06   Link #9
Spooky-Electric

Halfplastic Alchemist
Old 2004-07-16, 01:13   Link #10
Technovia_EX
o[-_-]o

I have to say FMA right now. I've downloaded Scrapped Princess, when it was unlicensed, and have yet to see it. I already have Rahxephon in front of my face but am lazy to see it. I've only seen the first five eps of Wolf's Rain on DVD so I can't judge too much on that. I'm sure once I see Rahxephon I'll like it, but for now it's FMA.
Old 2004-07-18, 12:00   Link #11
bohemian
坂本真綾さん最高

Bones is my most favorite studio, their animation quality is top notch, very detailed and very plesant to watch (compared to Gonzo's excessive use of CG). I love their own productions (ie. original story) like Wolf's Rain (my top 5 anime) and RahXephon (just started watching). However, adapted series like Scrapped Princess and Fullmetal Alchemist are great as well.

And am I the only one who think Bones made some of the finest looking girls in animation?
Old 2004-07-18, 15:59   Link #12
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I say Scrapped Princess because I didn't see their other works except for FMA and Angelic Layer.
Old 2004-07-18, 16:50   Link #13
7thMethuselah

hmmm, several good shows came outta that studio but Wolf's rain is my favorite : the entire atmosphere is just unbeatable. I love apocalyptic settings
Old 2004-07-18, 18:07   Link #14
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Easily Scrapped Princess, it is the only recent series that has brought a tear to my eyes *remembers mother scene and end scene*. Though Kurau looks promising!
Old 2004-07-18, 20:11   Link #15
Icer

Fullmetal Alchemist, easily. And by alot.
Old 2004-07-19, 10:59   Link #16
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
Haven't seen Kenran Butoh Sai The Mars Daybreak, KURAU Phantom Memory or RaXephon.

I think Wolf's Rain with no doubt is the best out of those.
I love the "end of the world"-theme, and the characters, the music is excellent, and it's a very powerful plot, which I love.

It's also one of those endings where you have to think to understand, that's good. It's actually one of the best animes I've seen.

Scrapped Princess and Fullmetal Alchemist is also very good, but not as good as Wolf's Rain.
Old 2004-07-19, 11:44   Link #17
Navi en Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcon
Haven't seen Kenran Butoh Sai The Mars Daybreak, KURAU Phantom Memory or RaXephon.

I think Wolf's Rain with no doubt is the best out of those.
I love the "end of the world"-theme, and the characters, the music is excellent, and it's a very powerful plot, which I love.

It's also one of those endings where you have to think to understand, that's good. It's actually one of the best animes I've seen.

Scrapped Princess and Fullmetal Alchemist is also very good, but not as good as Wolf's Rain.
I never realized Bones created those popular anime?! I thought Square-Enix created Full Metal Alchemist?

Bones could be another Gainax in disguise

- Navi
Old 2004-07-26, 21:50   Link #18
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Yeah, Bones is responsible for animating all these kickass anime. They created the stories for RahXephon, Wolf's Rain, Kenran Butoh Sai The Mars Daybreak, Mech Romance Hiwou, and KURAU Phantom Memory.

I know that Scrapped Princess was based off a novel (or a series of novels?) but I have no idea how much liberty they took with it.

Fullmetal Alchemist is based off the manga of the same name, but Bones has created lots of their own plot twists for it, changed some major theories to shift the story their way... and the final arc is totally different than anything seen in the manga.

However, Square-Enix sponsored the anime, but had no say in making it (as far as I know).

I can't say anything about Angelic Layer because I know nothing about it.
Old 2004-07-26, 22:19   Link #19
fantD
³²¹¿Ğeath[§]

Send a message via AIM to fantD
Definitely FMA. I say scrapped princess and rahxephon would tie for 2nd. Animation wise, FMA is simpily more fluid and detailed. Although its based on a manga, its plot is much more elaborate and twisted then rahxephon and scrapped princess considering its length. Character wise, FMA placed much more emphaysis on character backgrounds (both good and bad) and flashbacks. Overall, FMA wins by a long shot ;0
Closed Thread