AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-02-12, 08:52   Link #61
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
so i picked this up a few days ago, and i'm impressed, i really like the story / characters so far but
Spoiler for ch21:
Spoiler:

Incidentally, the latest chapter seemed to make a big deal about Siegfried's last name being Housman, which I don't remember whether was mentioned before. The name Housman certainly sounds familiar though, I think possibly as some famous person in establishing one of the countries? Could anyone who has read through the series more recently confirm whether the name Housman came up before, not in connection with Siegfried?
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 09:03   Link #62
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
^reading on, luke called him an eunuch so he should be more or less incapable of doing so (literally he's missing balls)
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 13:48   Link #63
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

He's either missing balls or impotent...or gay.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 14:11   Link #64
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
He's either missing balls or impotent...or gay.
Probably the reason why it (should be the correct term) hates Luke. He's disturbing its conscience.
Old 2012-02-16, 08:20   Link #65
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for c29:
Old 2012-02-16, 08:25   Link #66
Johnny
Working the bags...

And to top it all off poor Luke is going blind. He just can't catch a break...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 09:51   Link #67
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Spoiler for c29:
Just finished reading the chapter and wow.
Spoiler for Chapter 29:
Old 2012-03-23, 01:24   Link #68
NoLongerSane

Chapter 30 has been released along with an omake.
Spoiler for Chapter 30:
Old 2012-03-23, 04:31   Link #69
Sumeragi
Banned

I should get into this when I can. Darn I'm so busy with everything else.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 16:44   Link #70
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I'm very happy with the continued relationship growth between Luke and Cecily.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 02:53   Link #71
sarofski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Spoiler:

Incidentally, the latest chapter seemed to make a big deal about Siegfried's last name being Housman, which I don't remember whether was mentioned before. The name Housman certainly sounds familiar though, I think possibly as some famous person in establishing one of the countries? Could anyone who has read through the series more recently confirm whether the name Housman came up before, not in connection with Siegfried?
I haven't read the novels but I read somewhere that :

Spoiler:
sarofski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 04:02   Link #72
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarofski View Post

Spoiler:
god what is with japanese plp and rape, they always use it to drive a story forward when there are plenty of other ways to do it
Old 2012-08-13, 04:11   Link #73
Sol Falling

Quote:

Spoiler:
Yeah, I ran into some discussion about that at some point too. Basically, I did think Siegfried not having the 'facilities' to rape Cecily was bit of a copout so this confirmation does make my opinion of the scene we saw a bit worse while improving my impression of the original author's intention. However in the end the scene managed to be fairly powerful even despite the changes, so I guess it's okay. I'm generally disappointed that this series wasn't able to push for more ambition and artistic integrity, though.

Anyway, so the author of this light novel series is actually a woman? That's pretty cool. I can see how a lot of the themes/characteristics of this series are reflective/supportive of that position so I wish her the best of luck in its success/continuation.
Old 2012-08-13, 04:18   Link #74
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
I'm generally disappointed that this series wasn't able to push for more ambition and artistic integrity, though.
If a author has to use the very overly used rape scenario to move a story they have no integrity in my books. Come up with something new!!! use some creativty.

So what in the original version she get bashed and raped then shes back to fighting monsters next chapter??
Old 2012-08-13, 08:22   Link #75
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
If a author has to use the very overly used rape scenario to move a story they have no integrity in my books. Come up with something new!!! use some creativty.

So what in the original version she get bashed and raped then shes back to fighting monsters next chapter??
If you read the actual context of the scene in the manga you would be able to tell how this was actually a very powerful and symbolic/significant use of rape in this story, far from any "overused" rape scenario. If the use of rape in this instance wasn't meaningful, then nothing could be called as being artistically meaningful. Lemme underscore this: there is no other artistic context besides this one in which rape could be called less "cheap". Dismissing the use of rape in this story as "unoriginal" is just an example of sheer unabashed ignorance.

For the record, even in this 'not-actually-raped' manga version Cecily takes up to two chapters recovering before she gets back to "fighting monsters", as you put it. The character development involved wouldn't be any different from if she had actually been raped, because the most important blow to Cecily was to her pride and ideals. Regardless, the use or non-use of physical rape itself is important for reflecting the reality of such situations, as an analogue to the oppression faced by real women themselves in the face of male hatred/misogyny and prejudice, who would never have such a convenient excuse in such a situation as "oh whoops, he can't actually rape me". The fact that the author was pressured into changing this aspect of the story is reflective of the delusional outlook of a male audience obsessed with "purity" as a matter of objectifying fictional female characters, not only completely ignoring them as real personalities, but wilfully turning a blind eye to real world injustice and cruelty. It's practically the definition of a victory of escapism versus real world significance, the degradation of an artistic mirror to society.
Old 2012-08-13, 09:12   Link #76
Krono

Quote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 12:12   Link #77
Nanaya
ハイパー武器英雄

Quote:
Dismissing the use of rape in this story as "unoriginal" is just an example of sheer unabashed ignorance.
I agree with this. People saying that rape is "overused" or not original is just full of crap and are people who don't like certain themes occurring in their form of entertainment. That is understandable, but using "overused" to describe something? REALLY?

Some guy listed down around 120+ anime titles that were released in 2012 alone (the year isn't even over yet), and only 5 or 6 discussed anything close to rape. If it's overused, we should have so many rape in anime.

There are so many stories out there, and I would suggest that if ANYONE actually listed them up, it would show that rape is so unused in manga or light novels or anime, people claiming overuse would have to use another word to sound their displeasure.

It's like authors are not allowed to tell their stories anymore. While you may not agree with how they tell their stories, saying "x is a crap author just because he had a rape story" is complete bull. They would be crap authors if they couldn't follow up with what they've done or if they sucked beforehand. Not if they just put in an event for their story. That's just asinine, asiten, asitwelve.
Old 2012-08-13, 14:57   Link #78
Miraluka
Banned

So, can anyone who did read the novels confirm if the rape is true or not?

At the end, the traumatic experience remains.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 18:01   Link #79
sarofski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Spoiler:
That's exactly why I said " I read it somewhere", cause I cant really say for sure.
Anyways I found it. here's the link:

sarofski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 18:48   Link #80
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaya View Post
It's like authors are not allowed to tell their stories anymore. While you may not agree with how they tell their stories, saying "x is a crap author just because he had a rape story" is complete bull. They would be crap authors if they couldn't follow up with what they've done or if they sucked beforehand. Not if they just put in an event for their story. That's just asinine, asiten, asitwelve.
I believe the argument of this is more geared towards chastising "rape" as a means of character development through the ease of its use. More along the lines that it feels easy to just have your female character get character development by having them get raped, or almost raped or have the threat of it. Kinda like how people have been lambasting the new Tomb Raider game because of how it seemingly uses the perceived threat of rape to create tension when playing. Something akin to an easy button for writing female characters, which is why people tend to look at the use of rape somewhat negatively in conjuncture to character development.

I'm not really someone who can argue what's good writing so I can't really have an opinion on either camp, but that's what I've observed from discussions I've seen on similar subjects.

Of course, one thing that does incense me is that the Japanese fans felt so entitled that they react in such a way, so much so that they had to change it.
Honestly this clears things up concerning certain details with Cecily that didn't exactly mesh. Her reaction, while understandable, didn't seem to match considering what didn't happen.
Of course, this doesn't change her character development, but it just annoys me that creativity gets tied up because of idiocy.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blacksmith, fantasy, seinen, swords