AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-02-13, 15:08   Link #1
Oberon

Unhappy Video problem with Lunar's Bleach63 [h.264]

I just noticed some video problems with Lunar's h264 version of Bleach 63. Oftentimes when some scrolling occurs, the image will get huge notable block artifacts in rapid succession. Here are some screenshots I took as reference:

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5...blocks16oi.jpg
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/9...blocks29sd.jpg
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/1...blocks36up.jpg
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6...blocks41gk.jpg

I'm not really sure what the cause is. I tried updating CCCP to the latest version (2006-01-18) and also used different players, but the problem remains. I didn't encounter any problems with other h264 encodes so far, be it SugarSugarRune from Arienai, FMP-2nd Raid from KAA or any other I tried. I also verified the sfv-checksum and it checks out ok. BTW my video card is a Nvidia GF 6600GT, in case that makes any difference.

Has anyone else also encountered this problem? Just want to know whether the problem is on my end (and how I can fix it), or if Lunar did something funky with this encode.
Old 2006-02-13, 15:43   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Maybe:

1) Try updating your video card drivers?

2) Try updating DirectX? ( www.microsoft.com/directx -- try installing it EVEN if you already think you have the latest version )
Old 2006-02-13, 16:30   Link #3
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

@GHDpro
Those are good points of call, but it's not driver related. It's also unlikely DirectX related, but it's still a good idea to check those out, Oberon.

This used to be a problem you could encounter with DivX and the likes, I hang around on video editing forums and a lot of newcomers try editing with fansubs, which invariably use B-frames etc, and cutting causes hell since you require previous frames (and in the case of B-frames the next frame too) to decode.

I might be completely wrong (hopefully not) but it looks to me like a frame order problem, or perhaps motion estimation related (unlikely). It's hard to tell without the file. As such this is probably an encoder issue, rather than a decoder issue. Bad frame orders or other such borks (ie "packing" frames together to overcome VfW's shortfalls). For now just hold on until someone from Lunar is able to confirm or deny a problem.

Also, that you are able to play all other encodes without problem and only have a problem with this file despite the CRC matching, suggests thats something is not quite right with that particular file. x264 hasn't undergone any major changes for a while that would cause a serious error.
Old 2006-02-13, 17:31   Link #4
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I myself have experienced the same problem as Oberon and Zero1, block artifacts in the video with the h264 release of 63. I currently use CCCP and MPC so I tried it in another play, same problem. I tried it in VLC (my last-ditch) and there was still no change.

I was going to post about it on the Lunar Forum but decided not to. Maybe I'll just stick to the avi release on 63 for now.
Old 2006-02-13, 17:42   Link #5
fiberOptiC
LunarAnime video wizard

The h264 version of bleach 63 has these funky blocking artifacts in it that I missed during my encode qc. I'm not exactly sure what caused it but I've upgraded my x264 version because it seems problems relating to x264 encodes are magically fixed when you upgrade. I'll look more into it and figure out what was causing the blocks. I was pretty tired and just didn't look close enough. I have pulled the torrent from scarywater and have asked distro to remove it from the bots. I am currently reencoding it and should have a new version in probably 6 hours. I'll release that one if everything is ok as soon as I can. Sorry about that, it was not my intention to release a sub lunar quality release like that. There will be a v2 asap.
Old 2006-02-13, 18:45   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Thank you for your concern. I respect you for doing this.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-14, 03:24   Link #7
Oberon

Thanks from me as well. It's good to have confirmation one way or another and also thank you for going back and redoing it.
Old 2006-02-14, 03:37   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Rukia: fiberOptiC is fighting a pointless encoding battle against Bleach 63! I have to stop him.

NoSanninWa: No, let him battle it alone.

Rukia: Are you insane! Everyone can just download the XviD version! He doesn't have to do this!! We don't need h264 that badly!!!

NoSanninWa: You don't understand. Sometimes you encode to save lives, but other times it is about pride. You need to know the difference. Perhaps you could save fiberOptiC's life in this fight, but if he can't encode it properly by himself, then his pride would be broken for all time. If that happened he could never encode again.

Rukia: Then what can I do for him?

NoSanninWa: Just believe in him. Believe that fiberOptiC can encode this episode in flawless h264.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-16, 12:27   Link #9
fiberOptiC
LunarAnime video wizard

You're a funny one! The version 2 is about to be released, but some people might find they have problems playing it and get blocks and color things all over the video. Its a decoding problem and by upgrading your CCCP version, or ffdshow you wont have any problem playing it.
Old 2006-02-16, 18:00   Link #10
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Hmm, sounds like you used a custom quant matrix?