AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2008-12-15, 19:55   Link #1
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
favourite Anime soundtrack of 2008

The year is ending so I'd say lets sort up what your best/favourite anime soundtrack of this year is or are

surely for me the Code Geass soundtracks are my favourite but not best, for best I'd go for Macross Frontier this year

how about you?

edit:

in case some mods or others are wondering why this topic when there's an album topic for this year, well this is mainly soundtrack talk and not album talk from bands or anything.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 00:56   Link #2
Knowledge Seeker
Student/Lurker

Hmmm...I'm going to have to sat Code Geass R2's soundtrack was surprisingly good this year. Macross Frontier was excellent too (Yoko Kanno is superwoman); but I'll pick R2's soundtrack as my favorite this year simply because themes like "Beautiful Emperor" make me want to dance.
Knowledge Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 03:24   Link #3
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

Ef - a tale of melodies -
The angelic voice of ELISA to the upbeat and hard-rocking song accompanied with violins a catastrophe… in a good way.
Clannad ~After Story~ -
Toki wo Kizamu Uta is really good,The vocals are emotionally moving, and I like the lyrics a lot .TORCH is good as well, I like the energy in it!
Detroit Metal City -
Hail!Johannes Krauser II lol.
Bathory Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 09:28   Link #4
Blaat

I must say 2008 was rather a weak year for soundtracks, compared to 2007 at least.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 11:27   Link #5
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
I'd have to agree with Blaat. This year was an overall weak year for soundtracks without too many standouts out there to praise. But even then, I can pick out 5 that have been really enjoyable:

Romeo x Juliet: Technically, this one counts because it wasn't released until 2008. Sakimoto combines his mastery of medieval themes together with anime music and the results are just damned gorgeous.

Spice and Wolf - Somehow, the themes here just work together really well and as I listened to it, it keeps me entertained because it's so subtle, yet so wonderful.

Macross Frontier - Yoko Kanno delivers with yet another beautiful orchestral album that mimics many of the best themes from Western film music. Hell, you can hear her quoting Hans Zimmer in one of her pieces and some of the others take a hint from John Williams.

ARIA the Origination - A very pleasant soundtrack that absolutely surprised me because I thought they'd run out of themes to use for that anime series. The piano and guitar work from the Choro Club and Takeshi Senoo make for a really peaceful and mellow album that matches up with the series completely.

Natsume Yuujinchou - One of those albums that really put you into the mood of the series. While some people might not enjoy it as a standalone listen because of the importance of context, I think this album does a decent job without it because there are many tracks that are able to convey the wonderful feeling of a lazy summer day really effectively. It might not be up your alley, but it's certainly not a boring listen.

At this point, I'd have to rank Romeo x Juliet as my absolute favorite. The Sakimoto fanboy within me cannot resist.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 18:10   Link #6
OutSmart
Comic Relief

I love Yoko Kanno's music, but I usually just have them because of anime series I already saw or am interested in (like Cowboy Bebop, my fav anime that has also the best soundtrack, I think).

Anyways, the only Macross I'm planning to see its Zero, since I already have it (didnt have time to watch it yet). I'm not rly into that series, from what I've heard of it, but I guess I'll give it a try with ZERO. What I mean to say is: for someone who is not into the anime series, ist that Macross Frontier OST a must? (I hope you say yes, I'm in need of good music ^^)

For the mods not to delete my post on off-topic (wich kinda was, but I think it's not a bad post) I'll say wich was my favourite anime OST this year. Lemme think and check the list...

Soul Eater's OST 1- has some great tunes, not all the album is great as a stand alone, but for who likes the series vibe, some musics make the package all worth it.

-I didnt have much choie here, few are the 2008 anime that I'm watching, not enough time..
Old 2008-12-16, 18:21   Link #7
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Macross FRONTIER was the only series which made me rewatch certain scenes only to hear certain music pieces again and again, so the choice this year is very simple for me.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 22:10   Link #8
zzeroparticle
NEET

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutSmart View Post
What I mean to say is: for someone who is not into the anime series, ist that Macross Frontier OST a must? (I hope you say yes, I'm in need of good music ^^)

For the mods not to delete my post on off-topic (wich kinda was, but I think it's not a bad post) I'll say wich was my favourite anime OST this year. Lemme think and check the list...

Soul Eater's OST 1- has some great tunes, not all the album is great as a stand alone, but for who likes the series vibe, some musics make the package all worth it.

-I didnt have much choie here, few are the 2008 anime that I'm watching, not enough time..
If you're a big fan of symphonic Western film music (and by that, I mean Star Wars, Gladiator, or even Pirates of the Caribbean), the Macross Frontier soundtrack should be right up your alley. Though as a caveat, I'll have to warn you that I found the vocal tracks on that album to be very distasteful since I don't hold May'n in very high regard for her singing ability. But if you keep yourself to the instrumental tracks, those should make for some very good listens. In fact, if you click on the link that I posted above to the Macross Frontier soundtrack, you'll be able to listen to a few samplers that I put at the very bottom if you want to get a feel for how that soundtrack goes. They're about 30 seconds each, but they should give you a fair idea.

And yeah, totally agree with you on the Soul Eater OST. Great within the context of the show, wanting outside the context of the series. It's above average at best, but just barely.
Old 2008-12-17, 17:00   Link #9
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I must say 2008 was rather a weak year for soundtracks, compared to 2007 at least.
have to agree on that, this year took less cd's than last year
though I hope 2009 can make a difference I already have my fingers crossed for the Bounen no Xam'd soundtrack and music from the new Full Metal Alchemist series that is still to come next year
Old 2008-12-17, 17:12   Link #10
OutSmart
Comic Relief

"If you're a big fan of symphonic Western film music (and by that, I mean Star Wars, Gladiator, or even Pirates of the Caribbean), the Macross Frontier soundtrack should be right up your alley. Though as a caveat, I'll have to warn you that I found the vocal tracks on that album to be very distasteful since I don't hold May'n in very high regard for her singing ability. But if you keep yourself to the instrumental tracks, those should make for some very good listens. In fact, if you click on the link that I posted above to the Macross Frontier soundtrack, you'll be able to listen to a few samplers that I put at the very bottom if you want to get a feel for how that soundtrack goes. They're about 30 seconds each, but they should give you a fair idea." - zzeroparticle

I did like the samples! It's not the kind of music I enjoy listening in random moments LOL, but its great anyway. I'll be sure to give this one a go with the full version, and if I end up not liking it I'll post eher ^^, but that doesnt seem likely at all ^^

I'm curious about Code GEass R2, both series and OST, I just started with the first season and am loving it so far, already have that OST and its not bad AT ALL.

Is Casshern Sins OST out? The series has a great classic anime vibe (saying this based on the very first episodes, havent seen past 4th yet ^^) and that Aoi Hana (i think thats the name) intro is just killer. It's OST, if it gets out in 2008 can be a pretty strong one, I hope it is ^^
Old 2008-12-17, 18:37   Link #11
zzeroparticle
NEET

Glad I could help! Though I haven't listened to Code Geass R2's soundtrack (nor have I seen the series), word on the street is that it's pretty enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
music from the new Full Metal Alchemist series that is still to come next year
Do you know if Michiru Oshima is coming back to do the soundtrack? I really liked her works on FMA, especially with her "Brothers" theme and her subsequent work on Le Chevalier D'Eon were pretty good too. The only downside is that once you listen to her music a lot, her compositions tend to sound the same, so it's harder to differentiate between the series that she works on. Still, they're always worth a listen.
Old 2008-12-19, 11:58   Link #12
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
Do you know if Michiru Oshima is coming back to do the soundtrack? I really liked her works on FMA, especially with her "Brothers" theme and her subsequent work on Le Chevalier D'Eon were pretty good too. The only downside is that once you listen to her music a lot, her compositions tend to sound the same, so it's harder to differentiate between the series that she works on. Still, they're always worth a listen.
What I can tell you (in hope that it'll ease the long wait time) is that she is did the Xam'd original soundtrack which is amazing though it hasn't been released yet

There isn't any news that she is doing or not doing the soundtracks for the new FMA alchemist series but seen the schedule that she finished Xam'd a while back and since FMA is airing in April you could say that she'd be doing that now (they'd probably be producing atm first which takes a while), also since it is Bones and since Bones has worked with her many times before I'd have my bets on her doing the music again
Old 2008-12-20, 18:20   Link #13
immortalmage

BLEACH OST 3!! TORADORA OST!! D.Gray-MAN OST 3!!!

that's pretty much it
immortalmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-20, 18:39   Link #14
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Definately agree with this and not just for soundtracks, anime itself this year was nowhere near as good as 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Macross FRONTIER was the only series which made me rewatch certain scenes only to hear certain music pieces again and again, so the choice this year is very simple for me.
The first 5 minutes after the op in episode 2 is a perfect example of this, Kanno combined like 3-4 different bgms for that sequence and it's stunning. Still my fav scene of the entire show and yes it has no Sheryl in it!

Anyway Macross Frontier, True Tears and Soul Eater are my 3 favs for the year.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 09:20   Link #15
patnam

I go for Gundam 00 2nd season one...
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote