AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-05-20, 13:58   Link #1
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Making selfbooting restore discs with Ghost?

I have the corporate version of Symantec Ghost 8.0 (because 9 and upwards suck on account of how they're post-PowerQuest acquisition). I want to use it to create selfbooting restore disks. I know that if you select within Ghost to burn the image to a CD/DVD, it will also ask you if you want to make it bootable and prompt for a disk. The problem is that GHOST.EXE cannot fit on a 1.44Mb floppy at the same time as the required DOS boot files, not even using a small DOS type like FreeDOS. Compressing GHOST.EXE and extracting it to a ramdrive at boot time doesn't work either, since the compression hardly saves any space. The only possible solution I've been able to come up with so far is to make the bootable disk a DMF (1.68Mb) disk. What I don't know is: will Ghost accept this disk at the prompt for a bootable disk? Has anyone ever tried something like this?

I'm aware that it's possible to just have Ghost write the image file to a hard disk and then burn it using a regular CD writing program in order to get the oversized boot section in, but I would prefer to be able to do it all from Ghost itself.