AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-09-03, 19:32   Link #61
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
Aren't we forgetting something fairly relevant?
China is a communist country (well... sort of) and communism hasn't really ever been very big on intellectual property rights. Well any property rights for that matter, in theory. China being long past that stage nowadays.
That being said, it's really not like Chinese networks even could just go out and buy the shows they liked. What can be shown there in the first place is fairly controlled and have to go through a whole lot of bureaucracy and censorship before being allowed to be published. Most of the media being in direct control of the government anyway and I'd frankly be a bit more surprised if they'd start throwing money around for licenses of western or Japanese shows.
Ah, very insightful; thanks for bringing this up. There does seem to be lack of room for creativity because of this.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 19:33   Link #62
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well , i won't go till hating them but damn plagiary is forbidden !
Have more creativity instead !
American copied Japan's movie horror and anime its sad they put them down
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 20:26   Link #63
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Guys not all 1.2 billion Chinese people in the world are conniving plagiarizers and bootleggers with no respect for other people's property seriously this is getting on my nerves.
Agreed... It's not right to push the blame on all of the Chinese people since it's the government and whoever is doing the plagiarizing is at fault.

If I haven't mention, I'm a American Born Chinese and I'm pretty much indifferent towards Japan and Japanese people since I don't have any problems with them (also, I do like their music, anime and food)... except there are people on my father's side who still have something against the Japanese people and refuse to buy products from Japan. The point is, it's not right to go around bashing other people's country because they done something that may not be right when it's only a group of people or a individual. Although I'm not happy with them blatantly plagiarizing other anime, they will eventually break out of the cycle and create their own shows with their original ideas, probably in the next few years hopefully... Like mentioned before, it's not only them that did it before, it could happen anywhere in the world... (just read the earlier posts and you will know what I'm talking about)
Old 2009-09-03, 20:46   Link #64
rabbitking

Old. It's the same with the Vii. Who cares anyway.
rabbitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 00:20   Link #65
4Tran

It's certainly deplorable for a company to outright copy the work of another company and to present it as its own. However, it does seem somewhat unfair to use the actions of that company to tar and feather an entire country. While China does have its share of blame for having weak IP and consumer protection laws, I don't see why there's any need to exaggerate the seriousness of the problem; nor should this thread be used as an excuse to engage in "bashing". On the other hand, I don't think that one needs to be particularly mindful of China's real weaknesses in terms of lack in these areas as an excuse for Chinese corporate actions.

On a ironic note, I've just watched "The Magnificent Seven". It's possibly the iconic western film - with classical elements that stretch across the entire genre; reshaping many subsequent films. It has great performances and cinematography and it's also one of the best anythings I've watched all year. However, it's also a very close remake of "The Seven Samurai", often down to using the same dialogue. As far as I know, this was done without Kurosawa's permission, so was this better or worse than the ripoff of "5cm per Second"?

As an aside, the Samurai 7 anime is pretty good, but it's utterly put to shame by "The Magnificent Seven" - the latter may be 49 years old now, but it's ridiculously good.

Last edited by 4Tran; 2009-09-04 at 00:59. Reason: Clarification.
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 00:57   Link #66
Nosauz

Well I would like to point out that in chinese culture, the way people are taught to "learn" is to imitate, I remembering reading my chinese lessons and it would be a story of a great artist who kept copying images of an egg until he could draw an egg that looked like the real thing. The moral of the story is muscle memory, hard work, perserverance, and making knowledge your "own" is the way to progress intellectually. If you look at the way chinese children are taught compared to western education and specifically american education, chinese are taugt to memorize and over practice and through that we are supposed to be able to apply concepts where here its application is taught. Copying is the way I first learned to write a book report, I copied the structure of the example and manipulated to fit what I needed. I've always been told that once I've read something, no one can take that away, which is why I think it's also a cultural perception of knowledge and information.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 02:53   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It's certainly deplorable for a company to outright copy the work of another company and to present it as its own. However, it does seem somewhat unfair to use the actions of that company to tar and feather an entire country. While China does have its share of blame for having weak IP and consumer protection laws, I don't see why there's any need to exaggerate the seriousness of the problem; nor should this thread be used as an excuse to engage in "bashing". On the other hand, I don't think that one needs to be particularly mindful of China's real weaknesses in terms of lack in these areas as an excuse for Chinese corporate actions.

On a ironic note, I've just watched "The Magnificent Seven". It's possibly the iconic western film - with classical elements that stretch across the entire genre; reshaping many subsequent films. It has great performances and cinematography and it's also one of the best anythings I've watched all year. However, it's also a very close remake of "The Seven Samurai", often down to using the same dialogue. As far as I know, this was done without Kurosawa's permission, so was this better or worse than the ripoff of "5cm per Second"?

As an aside, the Samurai 7 anime is pretty good, but it's utterly put to shame by "The Magnificent Seven" - the latter may be 49 years old now, but it's ridiculously good.
I've got a collector's edition of "The Magnificent Seven". Its got a "making of" retrospective where virtually all the actors and production team give specific credit to Kurosawa (great one of James Coburn saying he told the casting director he wanted to be the alternate version of the guy with the huge sword or he wasn't doing the film). Whether they asked Kurosawa or not, everyone on the production team had utmost respect for him. Its fascinating to watch Kurosawa's film back-to-back with The Magnificent Seven (I have a collection of Kurosawa's old classics). Both films are fabulous in their own way.

One could also point to the Sergio Leone films (Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns), they were Italian versions of the old Edo Samurai tales overlaid onto the Western cowboy setting. The recent Japanese film Sukiyaki Western Django directly acknowledges that feedback loop in their "ramen western"
Old 2009-09-04, 03:25   Link #68
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Well I would like to point out that in chinese culture, the way people are taught to "learn" is to imitate, I remembering reading my chinese lessons and it would be a story of a great artist who kept copying images of an egg until he could draw an egg that looked like the real thing. The moral of the story is muscle memory, hard work, perserverance, and making knowledge your "own" is the way to progress intellectually. If you look at the way chinese children are taught compared to western education and specifically american education, chinese are taugt to memorize and over practice and through that we are supposed to be able to apply concepts where here its application is taught. Copying is the way I first learned to write a book report, I copied the structure of the example and manipulated to fit what I needed. I've always been told that once I've read something, no one can take that away, which is why I think it's also a cultural perception of knowledge and information.
Very true. I had a Chinese art tutor back in junior high. He'd take a portrait sketch, and start copying it, and we'd basically copy him while he's copying it.

Anyways, apparently this series is 52 episodes and is supposed to be propaganda anime. It's probably sponsored directly by the government so they don't really care if things are stolen as they don't care about the artistic merit of the work at all, just that it promotes the communist party views and that it can grab viewers' attention.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 09:52   Link #69
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Everything is borrowed from somewhere.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 11:26   Link #70
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCoder View Post
Everything is borrowed from somewhere.
This was not borrowed, it was plagiarized.
Old 2009-09-05, 23:10   Link #71
mg1942

they're even copying crayon shin chan anime!
(at least the PRC version *looks* better)
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 23:21   Link #72
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
they're even copying crayon shin chan anime!
(at least the PRC version *looks* better)
But it lacks the charm of the original.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 16:31   Link #73
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
This was not borrowed, it was plagiarized.
I wasn't talking about this exactly. I was talking about where ideas come from.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 22:05   Link #74
Theowne
耳をすませば

But this isn't a borrowing of ideas, this is direct copying of a finished product. Like I said before I don't see the relevance in all the mentions in this thread of things like "all ideas build on others". Which is fine and true, but this is just outright plagiarism, nothing more, nothing less.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 05:28   Link #75
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Someone on ANN forums did say that animators from China are not happy about plagaism. Remember CCTV is the state TV station (their news is only EVER about politicians going else where, they never report anything 'bad'), likely to force the animators shortest time yet wanting the highest quality as possible. I 'could' see the animators doing this to not to lose their job. It's not something that one can be proud of.

I have seen this China made cartoon on the chinese channel the other day. The animation was awful, the animators probally spent about 20 minutes learning flash and started making this. The script was awful too. At least they tried to make something on their own.

Slightly random. I'm chinese, my grandma lived through WWII, she had to flee to Hong kong. Yet, one day, in the afternoon my brother decided to watch the Kid's Channel. Onegai My Melody was on, then my grandma suddenly said 'Look at how good those Japanese-kids draw, they're always pretty unlike chinese made stuff' (lets not say I thought Onegai My Melody animation was awful). The thing is, not all chinese people have something against Japanese people. It's most likely my grandparent spent most of their life in Hong Kong, japanese products are very accessible there, not all chinese hate the japanese.

Talking about knock-off ipods, my aunt bought me one. There's tons of them at Hong kong, to be honest, some was better then the original ipod. There was 'ipod' shuffle 2G with a screen and fm radio (although the Sansa clip looks like a better option then that)! My 2nd generation fake-pod could play videos, yet the real one couldn't. So it was quite funny. The quality was awful, so I bought myself a Sony Walkman Mp4 (it's still made in china), I don't even like the original ipod.

Plagarism is nothing in China compared to poisionous baby milk powder, lead paint, dangerous work eniviroments and just everything that is not regulated. China just got bigger problems then plagarism.
Old 2009-09-09, 10:26   Link #76
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

I am a Chinese and I am a Hong Kong jin, like Shoujo no Shooting Star above. I have to say a lot of Chinese are disappointed in this plagarizing incident that some even went to popular Japanese chatrooms to apologize about this.

We are so disappointed about this incident.
MitsubishiZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 01:33   Link #77
npcomplete

On the flip side, this reminds of the common trick in many anime where they would have very obvious commercial products changed ever-so-slightly so as to claim they are not using such products without permission. Starbucks for some reason is the ubiquitous design to copy for cafes and coffee cups.

Lots of electronic products as well with logos and names modified just enough to claim it's not the same, such as a one letter difference.. it's as if they took their cue from real knock-offs, like Coby
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 17:15   Link #78
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
I'm...pretty sure the moral of the story is to practice not just blindly copy...
The Bloodlust Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 17:17   Link #79
revy07

Cant blame them Japan has dominated the Anime industry and MANGA IT sad but true
revy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 23:16   Link #80
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

Still, we in China have our own anime industry. We otakus do have dignity, and such plagarizing is not what we want to see. Plagarizing products might have up-sides, but this is not such case.
MitsubishiZero is offline   Reply With Quote