AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2003-11-07, 19:13   Link #1
Animaniac
On leave?

Post deletion

It seems as though the mods have found one of the new features in vb3, single post deletion. Oh boy, are they having a field day with it. You can pretty much pick a thread at random and expect to find two or three deleted posts within it. The old board didn't have this feature, and mods were definately more careful when editing other people's post. You rarely saw a post edited with "Deleted by mod." or something.

I feel that the function should be disabled since there are so many posts that are being deleted. It's pretty ambiguous what off-topic posts are, and furthermore it boils down to censorship and community molding. I would rather see the community be able to enjoy itself with fewer rules rather than a few grumpy mods eliminating any "nonsensical" discussion just because it annoys them. It usually is the small talk, rather than structured single-focus discussion, that makes people become closer. Deleting humorous posts and such in the spirit of "staying on topic" is not good for the community as a whole. On a board that specializes in technical discussion, this may be necessary, but not on a board that is for having fun and discussing anime. The community should be able to communicate freely, and most importantly, it should mold itself rather than the mods molding it. In all honesty, the way the rules are enforced here makes the board feel like a police state.

This complaint does not apply to spam and posts that are made purposefully to cause harm. Most posts that are deleted and altered were never meant to cause harm, and it would be wrong to delete them since it does not fit into a given mods view of how discussion should be conducted on a board. The single post deletion feature should be disable or be reserved for extreme cases. The fact that people begin posts with "I don't know if the mods will approve..." is proof enough of this increasing trend. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 21:53   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Lightbulb

Just so you know: The old forum software did allow us (the moderators) to delete individual posts. I think your noticing the deletes, more acutely now, is due to a feature of new software. It allows the forum to be configured to show when and where posts are deleted -- that is to say it leaves a "tombstone" in place of the post where as the old software just removed all trace. The tombstone feature also means regular members can, I believe, delete their own posts; without the forum running the risk of people manipulating threads.

To address your worries regarding the actions us moderators take; I can only think of the following points. Firstly, I have faith in the others' ability to exercise sound judgment when it comes to keeping a level balance of freedom and regulation. While I have been working away from home for most of the last two weeks (so have been unable to watch much that has happened since the forum came online again) I believe we still try to reserve actions like deleting posts for the more extreme cases.

I kind-a agree that people starting posts with a query of approval suggests a trend of more reserved posting, but I don't think it is fair to compare it to a police state -- and I'm sorry you feel that our implementation of the rules can be liken to such a thing. Should you, or any member, feel the need to question our judgment I hope you continue to feel comfortable bringing it to our attention. I for one am open to your opinion on actions I have taken. Where you believe them to be unfair or detrimental to the forum all you need do is PM me, as I'm sure you have before, and I will consider the situation further and try to explain my reasoning. This I hope is at least one thing that will help dispel that police state feeling.

You should bare in mind though, this is a privately operated site and as such its regulation is always going to be tainted by the opinions and tastes of those running it. I should also say that I don't think disabling the delete facility would change anything for the better; it would only encourage those wishing to cause trouble.

For my own part ~ as I have tried to suggest, I think we do ok when it comes to keeping this place more friendly than intimidating... but, next time I am considering deleting or editing a post I will bare your comments in mind and think more about whether my reasons are based on more than just what annoys me.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 22:41   Link #3
Imazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animaniac
It seems as though the mods have found one of the new features in vb3, single post deletion. Oh boy, are they having a field day with it. You can pretty much pick a thread at random and expect to find two or three deleted posts within it. The old board didn't have this feature, and mods were definately more careful when editing other people's post. You rarely saw a post edited with "Deleted by mod." or something.

I feel that the function should be disabled since there are so many posts that are being deleted. It's pretty ambiguous what off-topic posts are, and furthermore it boils down to censorship and community molding. I would rather see the community be able to enjoy itself with fewer rules rather than a few grumpy mods eliminating any "nonsensical" discussion just because it annoys them. It usually is the small talk, rather than structured single-focus discussion, that makes people become closer. Deleting humorous posts and such in the spirit of "staying on topic" is not good for the community as a whole. On a board that specializes in technical discussion, this may be necessary, but not on a board that is for having fun and discussing anime. The community should be able to communicate freely, and most importantly, it should mold itself rather than the mods molding it. In all honesty, the way the rules are enforced here makes the board feel like a police state.

This complaint does not apply to spam and posts that are made purposefully to cause harm. Most posts that are deleted and altered were never meant to cause harm, and it would be wrong to delete them since it does not fit into a given mods view of how discussion should be conducted on a board. The single post deletion feature should be disable or be reserved for extreme cases. The fact that people begin posts with "I don't know if the mods will approve..." is proof enough of this increasing trend. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Im gonna do it quick and simple

-I think you can make humor while staying on topic, no need to hi-jack a thread with trash talk for that

-Im pretty sure if they were altered thats because they were something wrong with them

-If you have to ask yourself this question then just dont post, theres a couple of easy rules to follow and for some reasons more and more people are questionning this rules that everyone else are able to obey.
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 02:14   Link #4
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

Here lies diabolistic's post, due to lack of funny

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 02:54   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolistic
Here lies diabolistic's post, due to lack of funny
LOL! Not only was that funny, but it was also on topic!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 08:30   Link #6
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I think what Animaniac is trying to say that we shouldn't overuse
the post deletion feature. Only delete posts that are insulting,
spam or otherwise very clearly breaking the rules in a big way.

IMHO, if a somebody posts something off-topic, he should be
warned with a post, and only if that doesn't work the thread
should be closed or the posts deleted.

Also, post deletion by users is off -- afaik leaving it on allows
for a dangerous effect -- if a the user who originally started a
thread deletes the first post, the whole thread is deleted.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 14:30   Link #7
Animaniac
On leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
I think what Animaniac is trying to say that we shouldn't overuse
the post deletion feature. Only delete posts that are insulting,
spam or otherwise very clearly breaking the rules in a big way.

IMHO, if a somebody posts something off-topic, he should be
warned with a post, and only if that doesn't work the thread
should be closed or the posts deleted.

Also, post deletion by users is off -- afaik leaving it on allows
for a dangerous effect -- if a the user who originally started a
thread deletes the first post, the whole thread is deleted.
Yeah I guess that was what I meant... I was very long winded about it. -_-;; It's just that it bugs me when people need to ask themselves about whether the mods will approve (to the point of first stating in their post). I guess I am just used to more relaxed boards.
Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote