AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 43 13.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 6.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 8.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 7.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 6.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 15 4.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 3.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 1.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 12 3.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 135 42.45%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-18, 11:10   Link #501
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Personally, I'd love it to be done by Madhouse or Production I.G
Both tend to have excellent animation quality (Examples: Dennou Coil for Madhouse, Eden Of The East for Production I.G) and produce almost only good anime.
Old 2009-07-18, 11:32   Link #502
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Ragequitting is one thing, but I know many folks who are much bigger fans of Haruhi and have pretty much stopped watching it, only asking me over AIM if the arc ended or looped again. Considering they follow a lot more anime than I do, I surmise they choose not to waste their time watching a repeat of the last 4 episodes (while I'm only following this, Umineko, Canaan and Sora Kake Girl).

Most of them have plainly admitted that they will not buy DVDs of S2 and by and large have declared the entire thing Discontinuity.

I'm not too inclined to disagree, but I keep watching for their sake (and boredom's sake as well).

The way I see it, the whole thing is a massive Xanatos Gambit to drive up the sales of Haruhi season three, which will undoubtedly be the adaptation we've all been waiting for--The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya.

My theory is that KyoAni plans to use S2 as a springboard for the Vanishment adaptation.

To drive its fans insane with Endless Eights and a few episodes based on the events of The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I was not impressed with that volume, and apparently I am not alone in this opinion. The frustrating and maddeningly IRL-troll-alike nature of S2 will whip the fanbase into a frenzy over the course of fourteen episodes...

... and the minute the season ends, KyoAni will start up the galaxy-sized hype generator advertising Haruhi S3, the adaptation of Vanishment.

So relieved and excited the fanbase will be, after the end of a beautifully-crafted but ultimately Stylistic Suck S2, that the ratings and DVD sales figures for S3 will be exorbitantly high.

That is my prediction.
Something like that. I know I for one have discussed Haruhi Suzumiya with people that I never would have simply because the Endless Eight thing is too bizarre to not talk about.
Old 2009-07-18, 11:59   Link #503
trakker
Comical Scamp

Its a bit depressing, but i have kinda stoped watching now, i just skipping through the eps to see if they get any closer to a resolution >_>
Old 2009-07-18, 12:14   Link #504
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

I figured that that will happen some time ago already, simply because it was never called a second season and the second season is officially still "cancelled".
I suspected they would just fill in the missing stories from beginning up to the end of Season 1, which is why the whole thing is a re-run, with "new animation", exactly as they said.

Disappearance may still come in a new season, although I hope they'll have higher animation quality by then.

I'm also a huge fan of Haruhi, I also bought the DVDs. Yet I stopped watching this. I wouldn't call it "quitting", I'll check it out when EE is over - I just don't want to be treated like a dog by them, which is why I'm not going to "accept" this. Enjoying it from the get-go is one thing, but raging at first and then saying "it's okay" is exactly what I find wrong.
It just shows that no matter how much crap they'll throw at the fans, they'll still keep watching. That disgusts me.
Old 2009-07-18, 12:39   Link #505
RemSuzu
BGI = Death

Send a message via MSN to RemSuzu
Quote:
Originally Posted by trakker View Post
Its a bit depressing, but i have kinda stoped watching now, i just skipping through the eps to see if they get any closer to a resolution >_>
I skipped the last episode as well. I jumped to different time spots to see if it was ending, but then I got all the way to the end seeing just little variations of change, which didn't make me feel any better. I actually thought this one was going to be the last one. I thought Kyon would actually suggest something or just take Haruhi out on a date.

I'm really hoping Endless Eight is just the title, and that doesn't mean we will have to endure this eight times. I'm tired of waiting a week to watch basically the same thing I watched last week. It's annoying.
Old 2009-07-18, 13:32   Link #506
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Loool i didn't see this episode yet and i see that its another episode bis but the news with otaku make me laugh !!
Old 2009-07-18, 14:14   Link #507
Parappashi
Happy Member

So what was with the plane in the previous episode?
Old 2009-07-18, 15:13   Link #508
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Dunno too lool

Well , i watched this episode with skipping some part and they are a few news things in the end but damn ...
Its the crisis economic's effect ? if its that then i can forgive them but if not ... they wasted some episodes who can be already the news ...
Old 2009-07-18, 15:31   Link #509
X207
Gamyūsa

next story arc: untouched
watever
if they're just going to loop again, theres no point in anticipating next ep on my toes
whether it comes or not
well, i'll just leave it on the bottom of the list again for another week

wat the F. i dont think its only haruhi who created a coninuous time loop. -10/10 this is just painful to watch now. this season will not be an exceptional season for this series at all. all i can do i pray to god they reailze the loop is present and just finish the arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemSuzu View Post

I'm really hoping Endless Eight is just the title, and that doesn't mean we will have to endure this eight times. I'm tired of waiting a week to watch basically the same thing I watched last week. It's annoying.
same here its really sad they've resorted to reusing the same ep over again and again.

Last edited by X207; 2009-07-18 at 15:41.
Old 2009-07-18, 16:08   Link #510
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about the amount of QQ in this thread?"

"There's quite a lot of it."
Old 2009-07-18, 16:10   Link #511
eternal_bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemSuzu View Post

If you turn the 8 around, it's an infinity loop. That would be even worse. Endless Eight forever. At least until Season 3.
Old 2009-07-18, 16:35   Link #512
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Personally, I'd love it to be done by Madhouse or Production I.G
Both tend to have excellent animation quality (Examples: Dennou Coil for Madhouse, Eden Of The East for Production I.G) and produce almost only good anime.
*snicker* Madhouse is a joke of a studio. Their anime is only good about 13% of the time.

You're correct about Production IG being fantastic, but then again, they've always been on a higher tier than KyoAni could ever hope to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal_bliss View Post
If you turn the 8 around, it's an infinity loop. That would be even worse. Endless Eight forever. At least until Season 3.
It's also short for "August".

It has nothing to do with the number of episodes.
Old 2009-07-18, 16:36   Link #513
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
I already wondered when this is going to happen.
Hopefully somebody will suicide-bomb KyoAni or something.

Thats just not cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikonomi View Post
I've also thought that the extreme similarity between Endless Eight 2 and 3 might have caused a lot of the uproar. 3 was, in my opinion, the weakest of the Endless Eights, and felt the most like a lower-quality rehash of the second episode. It had its moments, but by and large it felt like 2 with some still montages thrown in. 2 and 3 were fairly similar in style to the archetypal Endless Eight, but the quality seemed to have deteriorated to some degree by the third episode, and this was obviously not a good way to introduce the fanbase to the idea of several repeats of the story.

Endless Eight 4 was, obviously, significantly different, but at the same time a lot of people didn't like the art direction and animation, and a subset of those people took it as an indication of the decline of Haruhi's quality. In my opinion, it was pretty obvious from the second episode that KyoAni were trying out various art styles and animation directors and that the changes in style were endemic to Endless Eight. 4 seemed to be an especially polarizing episode because of its art style.

Endless Eight 5 is, in my opinion, the best iteration so far. The animation and art are very good, and the direction is a departure from the previous episodes. It had the most Haruhi-like flourishes, including the rotating screen and the mini-loop of Haruhi leaving the cafe. It was overall a very strong episode, and significantly better than 3. If 2 and 3 had been up to the standard of 5 in terms of art and direction, I do think the reaction would have been more positive. I'm sure there would still be a complaining faction, but that's to be expected.

I do think KyoAni have made an effort to differentiate the episodes, but the intentional changes in art style haven't gone over very well with the fans.

You know I think this whole arc would have been better if:

Episode 2 was episode 3
Episode 3 was episode 4
Episode 4 was episode 2
Episode 5 was episode 5

I think that by having the weakest episode(3) be the first loop everything is better after that so people are more and more pleased.
Old 2009-07-18, 17:14   Link #514
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Ok, I finally got the stomach up to watch this - I had been putting it off once I found out that the Endless Eight arc didn't end here.

This was, in my view, the best Endless Eight episode, and by far. The artwork is very, VERY close to on-model with Season 1. There's a couple scenes in particular where the look, feel, and mood of the old Haruhi is back - such as her body posture, heightened position, realistic anatomy definition, and imposing stance just before the SOS Brigade sets off on their summer's adventure. Finally, Haruhi doesn't seem like generic bubbly cheerful slice of life teenage anime girl.

This was also Groundhog Day done right for a change, thank Heaven. A Groundhog Day approach isn't only about breaking the loop. The other big idea behind a Groundhog Day approach is that the same period of time is repeated in a loop, but there's significant plot-related differences from one iteration to the next, leaving something new and fresh to see each time; it's the unpredictability of "how will this iteration play out?" that's a big part of the fun behind a good Groundhog Day approach, and which this arc has horrifically failed to capture... with the exception of this episode which at least executes it somewhat well.

Spoiler:

Well, this episode solved a voting dilemma for me.

On the one hand, each episode (viewed individually) isn't entirely bad on its own, but the arc as a whole is Groundhog Day executed terribly for the most part. This is a rare case where the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

So... how do I vote in a way to give justice to the strength of individual episodes, but to also show displeasure with the EE arc in general?

Well, with this episode being the best of the lot - I'm voting it a 9.

And I'm going back and voting the previous episode (K-ONified as it is) a 1.
Old 2009-07-18, 18:40   Link #515
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Triple R, you almost make me want to actually watch the new episode.
Old 2009-07-18, 18:59   Link #516
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Because loss of human life is hilarious! > >
Don't be silly. Otakus and animators aren't human beings!
Old 2009-07-18, 19:28   Link #517
phizzy
私は美少女じゃないか?

Hmm, despite the loop continuing, I actually enjoyed watching this episode, unlike the last couple. Gave it a seven. Maybe it was just fully watching it and smiling at Tomare... Here's hoping it'll be over next week.
Old 2009-07-18, 19:36   Link #518
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parappashi View Post
So what was with the plane in the previous episode?
It was a meaningless theme thrown into the episode, possibly meant as a red herring for people not familiar with the source. Just ignore it.
Old 2009-07-18, 19:52   Link #519
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I think people are going a bit too extreme with people wanting to use bombs... that is going overboard...

The problem is that does Endless Eight really needs 6 episodes? Or it's Kadokawa's purpose of trolling all those fans into a uncontrollable rage...

I give this Episode a 1/10 since it's just almost the same content over again... I hope Kadokawa finally wakes up and realize how much damage they caused.
Old 2009-07-18, 20:01   Link #520
Animexcel

I think they're testing the fans to see how loyal they really are.
Closed Thread