AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2009-12-28, 02:37   Link #221
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

Though I agree with most of Varion's impressions, one area where I feel I have to disagree is the size of the world. I actually liked the smaller scale this time, it gave it a more localized feel to the game that I normally only get from series such as Suikoden.

Though the story is cheezy as usual, I did like the cast in general. The "protect" theme is really, really laid on thick though. I just glazed it over after a while, and still really have been enjoying the game (not quite finished yet myself either).

A question for those at the end, how many bonus dungeons, if any, are there? Are they missable like Vesperia's big one?
Old 2009-12-28, 05:54   Link #222
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
The Cage Zone is enable after finishing the game, i don't think there's any missable dungeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Although they get the game a whole year later.
Or sometimes never, even if it's from a Nintendo Support (Baten Kaitos Origins T_T, never reach the Europe)
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 08:05   Link #223
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are rarely any fixes between the US and EU versions of games.

Baten Kaitos Origins was a late GameCube title. The original probably didn't sell all that well either. I'm glad to have the US versions of both, though, because that way I got progressive scan (so I can play the games on my Wii using a VGA cable, and true 60 Hz (for the TV). They really botched the EU versions of Baten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia in this aspect by implementing 'optimised' 50 Hz without keeping a real 60 Hz option.

Last edited by Benoit; 2009-12-28 at 08:21.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 02:30   Link #224
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Done with the game...

I am satisfied with the game, but there are still some unfortunate parts...

The system was good. It was really well made, with skit cut-ins and lots of sub-events.
I still prefer the old battle system, but this new one has a great feeling of speed and is pretty good too.
In general, TOG was really good when it came to the way the game was made...

That's where it stops though.

Like Varion said, the story and characters were not impressive. Pretty average and findable anywhere...
I wasn't expecting anything, but I still had hoped the characters were a bit more interesting. Especially Cheria... So cute on the outside, but her character was probably the plainest of them all.
Also got to feel sorry for some of the antagonists in this story. Not for their story or character, but for how the staff used them...

Not many interesting battle BGMs this time. The boss themes felt especially plain...

Also, too many dangerous bugs that can occur way too easily. If you don't know about any, you are very likely to encounter them. You know about it too late, you'll have to restart on some areas.

Grade... Too difficult to gather enough this time. Bleh...

There was a lot of animation this time, but... The quality wasn't that great. The movement wasn't bad, but the actual art wasn't all that stable...
Also, I'm not sure if it is the way the colors are used or what, but the art kind of felt cheap...

One day, I hope a Tales that is as well-made as Graces and has characters as interesting as Ratatosk' will be created...
Maybe... Someday...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2009-12-30 at 02:51.
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 05:34   Link #225
Sides

Just got my copy delivered, no preorder DVD included. Bummer, had my order placed since october.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 10:45   Link #226
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
One day, I hope a Tales that is as well-made as Graces and has characters as interesting as Ratatosk' will be created...
Maybe... Someday...
Tales of Symphonia was the greatest Tales game ever made, and will stay that way, period
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 15:57   Link #227
Sides

Well play for few hours, and the battle system is great. It is, or feels like, a proper 3D system. I have to give proper respect to the animators, even though some animations are repetitive, it looks fluid and the interaction between characters are awesome, it creates a real anime feel to it.
To be honest, I would say, compared to vesperia and hearts, graces is already my favourite tales released in recent years, and kicks ToS of the top spot for best 3D tales. Until i got ToG complete ToR is still my personal favourite, no matter how great the 3D system and graphics are, 2D sprites is still superior, imo.
Old 2009-12-30, 17:03   Link #228
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Speaking of ToR, i was sad Veigue didn't appear in Tales of V.S.
Hopefully i can still play with him with tales of the world : Radiant Mythology 2.
Old 2010-01-01, 19:25   Link #229
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post
Speaking of ToR, i was sad Veigue didn't appear in Tales of V.S.
Hopefully i can still play with him with tales of the world : Radiant Mythology 2.
Yeah that was kind of odd, that Eugene and Mao were present, but not Veigue. Don't know but Tales of Vs is a strange game anyway.
Old 2010-01-01, 23:27   Link #230
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
I want to challenge Namco to make a Tales game where every character is over 25 and there is absolutely no cutesy kid characters or talking pets.
Old 2010-01-02, 02:06   Link #231
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
I want to challenge Namco to make a Tales game where every character is over 25 and there is absolutely no cutesy kid characters or talking pets.
Try having the starting main character actually be a female for once.
Old 2010-01-02, 15:52   Link #232
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Quote:
I don't think making them more older will change something...
For example final fantasy VIII don't have all cast over 25 and still, they are mature or have their own personnality.
If you have to change something about tales of for character, i think you have to change it for most of J-RPG of nowadays... for example... Arc Rise Fantasia... Star Ocean 4 etc...
Old 2010-01-02, 18:07   Link #233
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
That wouldn't necessarily help at all. The oldest character in Graces, Malik at 40, is just as uninteresting as the rest of the characters. He has the most in his past, but it doesn't make him any more of a memorable character. It's quality script and scenario writers they're apparently lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
I'm sort of hoping FF13's existence might result in more of this. Lightning was a really nice change, and I'd love more protagonists like Estelle from Sora no Kiseki - upbeat and cheerful, totally capable, and the only time she ever gets captured she busts her own way out. In style.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 18:15   Link #234
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Sigh, still waiting to play this game. Emulator lags too much and my Wii cant play it for some reason (gets black screen). For now, can only watch videos of others playing it
Old 2010-01-02, 19:01   Link #235
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post
I'm sort of hoping FF13's existence might result in more of this. Lightning was a really nice change, and I'd love more protagonists like Estelle from Sora no Kiseki - upbeat and cheerful, totally capable, and the only time she ever gets captured she busts her own way out. In style.
What about Valkyrie Profile games? I know that valkyrie doesn't really count but they are Female Starting main characters.
Old 2010-01-02, 21:35   Link #236
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Tales of Estrogen? lol, I kid, I kid
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 00:20   Link #237
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
I challenge the players to accept such a game.
The result is obvious before it even started though...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 08:14   Link #238
Sides

Soundtracks will be out on 10/02/2010.
Come on namco-bandai announce an anime/manga for this title, more PR is needed for this game.
Old 2010-01-06, 19:46   Link #239
NoLongerSane

In all honesty, the more vids that I see of this game the more that I am hoping for an NA release.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 19:53   Link #240
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

I heard that someone in Gamefaqs Board is currently working on an English Translation for the game

Tags
game, games, rpg