AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-24, 02:06   Link #6241
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Come and take everything I have, and you'll be eating .45acp hollow points. I've been busting my ass for everything I own. Nothing I've done, was to the cost of someone else. Where I live, the nearest Sheriff station is 15+ miles away so good luck calling the police for help. They'll get here in time to take notes and drag the body away. You are responsible for your own safety. As I've said, our own Supreme Court has ruled the Police are not responsible for yours. I will protect myself and my property from anyone who tries to unlawfully take it. You will die. There'll be no warning shots, there'll be no shoot to injure.

Crime is not just a byproduct of homelessness or being poor. It is a result of lack of values, mental instability, or just flat out lack of goodness in a person. I don't care how poor you are. You do not have the right to take from someone else.

Keep supporting your social programs. It'll just speed up this country's economic collapse.
Ok at this point I'm guessing I'm not going to get an answer. The closest is that "It'll just speed up this country's economic collapse." line. Of course that's not true in light of the fact that in the 90s we had a budget surplus with said social programs in place, and that the main causes of the current budget deficits are the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Bush cutting taxes in the middle of fighting said wars, and the recession. Further cutting said social programs completely will not make up the deficit. There'd still have to be cuts to the military and a tax hike.

Well, no one can say I didn't give justinstrife a chance to explain his position.
Old 2010-02-24, 05:30   Link #6242
mg1942

Interesting read from the Prohibition Era and the steps the Government was willing to take to manipulate behavior...

http://www.slate.com/id/2245188/?GT1=38001
Old 2010-02-24, 05:57   Link #6243
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'll just go off and say that there are people in this thread who clearly seem to have never reached a point in their life of economic and social desperation, a point where they run themselves ragged to put food in their stomachs and find a place to sleep in the pouring rain for them and their families, that they become willing enough to accept that which they hate the most just to get by. You need both ends of the spectrum to know why it works and why it doesn't.

There are those who are unemployed because they want to, and those because they can't find a job. Obliterate the system entirely and you have honest to god people placed on the very edge of life and sanity, and you likewise ironically propagate a system of desperation that puts upstanding citizens into a life of crime. Some people steal bread out of greed and selfishness. Some steal bread to feed their families out of desperation. Can a blind overarching alteration of the system make such a distinction?

I'd be jealous of countries that have some sort of unemployment assistance. In my third world country if you can't find a job and local charities can't do enough to help you then you're basically fucked. We don't have an unemployment assistance system to help those desperately seeking a way to keep them alive while they find a way for meager income. Our laws are so lax and we have adults and children alike working for half the minimum wage just to put food on the table (and our minimum wages aren't even enough). The manufacturing companies my family own (yes I'm a bit middle-upper I don't deny that) actively pay higher than the minimum of our industry-set standards for the sake of our workers, as my family itself came from worker-class existence only 2 generations ago.

Case in point: For a family of 6 in the Philippines, the minimum needed daily earnings to feed a family, keep a roof on their heads, pay bills and put the kids through school is around P700, or about $18 a day. For a family of 4 it's about P500 or $13. For a single man or a couple it's around P300-P350 or less than $10. Most minimum wages here are barely over $10. All this are calculated without savings.

Like I said we don't have a safety net help those really in need. We're too poor/corrupt for that right now. Even then I don't need to experience poverty itself to know and be empathic with the plight of those living in utter squalor, doing anything and everything they can to make ends meet.

Maybe it is true. Aside from the few who actively make helping the poor and suffering their calling, perhaps altruism really is dead.
Old 2010-02-24, 12:30   Link #6244
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

looks like Europe found someone to help for pay for the greek bailout.

Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/te...trust.html?hpw

Antitrust experts said Google’s decision to publicize the complaints itself — on a company blog — showed the company’s determination to try and stop the case before it advanced any further.
“This is the time for Google’s lawyers to be highly proactive, and to go with their knives sharpened and daggers in their mouths to try and kill the investigation,” said Dennis Oswell, an antitrust lawyer with Oswell & Vahida in Brussels. “Once these investigations in Brussels reach the formal stage, winning a case is more difficult, because the commission has made an investment at that point and there’s an expectation that they should get something out of it.”
The commission confirmed it had received three complaints against Google and said it was examining them. It had asked Google to comment on the allegations earlier this month but not opened a formal investigation for the time being.

the billions that Europe will find google should make a nice dent in the greek bailout.

Quote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines

The human rights branch of the Organization of American States issued a blistering 300-page report Wednesday morning against one of its members, Venezuela, saying that the oil-rich country run by President Hugo Chavez constrains free expression, the rights of Venezuelans to protest and the ability of opposition politicians to function.
anyone recently ask sean penn about his good friend chavez?

Quote:
Chavez has frequently characterized his adversaries, from the media to university protesters to opposition politicians, as lackeys of the United States who are out to topple him. He has also defended his government as the world's most democratic.
not even mayor daly of chicago got a pair that big.
Old 2010-02-24, 12:58   Link #6245
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Cassini spots more water geysers on Enceladus, hinting on the presence of a hospitable liquid ocean beneath it's surface.
Old 2010-02-24, 13:41   Link #6246
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Cassini spots more water geysers on Enceladus, hinting on the presence of a hospitable liquid ocean beneath it's surface.
Liquid water geysers? The water's density must be certainly larger than on earth's to be able to be packed at that level of compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
not even mayor daly of chicago got a pair that big.
You know, real democracies are the first step to productive market reforms. I don't see Chav helping his country out of the inflation.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-02-24, 14:03   Link #6247
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Liquid water geysers? The water's density must be certainly larger than on earth's to be able to be packed at that level of compression.

You know, real democracies are the first step to productive market reforms. I don't see Chav helping his country out of the inflation.
i think both singapore and china has proven that to be full of crock. it is more of the other way around imo. Productive market reforms will lead to real democracy.
Old 2010-02-24, 14:32   Link #6248
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

China and Singapore also had the advantage of not having abundent natural resources though. Many political scientists consider that an advantage for a developing country.

(If that seems counter-intuitive, the basic reasoning is that countries that export a lot of natural resources of cash crops tend to have high exchange rates, slowing the development of other industries. This also makes them extremely vulnerable to commodity price shocks.)

Not saying you're wrong, but I wanted to provide that bit of context since I think its important.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-02-24, 14:46   Link #6249
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Toyota in the spotlight. All of the cable news networks breaking to show the statement being read by CEO Akio Toyoda on Capitol Hill.

Is this getting that much attention in Japan? Up to 34 deaths now attributed to sudden acceleration in Toyota cars. That's pretty serious.
Old 2010-02-24, 14:56   Link #6250
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
Toyota in the spotlight. All of the cable news networks breaking to show the statement being read by CEO Akio Toyoda on Capitol Hill.

Is this getting that much attention in Japan? Up to 34 deaths now attributed to sudden acceleration in Toyota cars. That's pretty serious.
Looks like the AP online is also on the story about the live hearing, although it was considered breaking news.

If that many has had the same problem, Japan should be notified right away before any more problems occur.
Old 2010-02-24, 15:05   Link #6251
mg1942

Quote:

here's from 2006~

a few days ago...

Last edited by mg1942; 2010-02-24 at 17:50.
Old 2010-02-24, 17:13   Link #6252
mg1942

Bloom Box fuel cell unveiled
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=7295563

Large corporations have been testing a new device that can generate power on the spot, without being connected to the electric grid. Will we have one in every home someday?
Old 2010-02-24, 17:40   Link #6253
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Bloom Box fuel cell unveiled
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=7295563

Large corporations have been testing a new device that can generate power on the spot, without being connected to the electric grid. Will we have one in every home someday?
I doubt you will want to pay all the money for the fuel (natural gas or H2). So if you don't just want a reliable backup in the case the power grid fails, the cheaper alternative is to draw the power from the grid.
Because even though these fuel cells seem to be very efficient, they are not reliable for long sustained usage with fuels of varying quality/purity. A moddern gas and steam power plant (combined cycle power plant) has an equal degree of efficiency but is far more reliable.
Now I read on wikipedia that fuel cells have the advantage of having no moving mechanical parts and this could ensure a reliability 99.9999% (or similar). That is however only half of the truth, because you'ld need extremely pure fuel to achieve that. Any contamination of the fuel makes the fuel cell operate less efficient, a lot hotter and thus less reliable. In industrial applications (non millitary) it is not cost effective to rely on a system that demands such strong prerequisites on the fuel side to operate reliably.
Old 2010-02-24, 17:56   Link #6254
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
I doubt you will want to pay all the money for the fuel (natural gas or H2). So if you don't just want a reliable backup in the case the power grid fails, the cheaper alternative is to draw the power from the grid.
Because even though these fuel cells seem to be very efficient, they are not reliable for long sustained usage with fuels of varying quality/purity. A moddern gas and steam power plant (combined cycle power plant) has an equal degree of efficiency but is far more reliable.
Now I read on wikipedia that fuel cells have the advantage of having no moving mechanical parts and this could ensure a reliability 99.9999% (or similar). That is however only half of the truth, because you'ld need extremely pure fuel to achieve that. Any contamination of the fuel makes the fuel cell operate less efficient, a lot hotter and thus less reliable. In industrial applications (non millitary) it is not cost effective to rely on a system that demands such strong prerequisites on the fuel side to operate reliably.
True, but it's still a step in the right direction. Remember, technology is always improving. People many years ago thought the car was a novelty, and that it would never catch on, either. I find it wise to never underestimate technology until it really has been brought to it's limit.

Let's try to get our power from multiple sources, too.^^
Old 2010-02-24, 18:10   Link #6255
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
The fuel issue, and the up-front cost, will prevent the Bloom Box from being in every household, but if they make their $3,000 target, it will be in many households.

A quality model generator that could run part of a household in a power outage would cost a large portion of the Bloom Box's cost. A quality generator that had the features comparable to a Bloom Box can cost at least as much or far more. Considering that the Bloom Box will be far more cost-effective for fuel use, it is far more attractive to anyone who would consider buying a generator for home use (which would be any one in areas prone to power outages for snow, storms, etc.), likely converting many with interest to actual customers.

The real world change, though, will be putting power in so many places where it currently isn't an option.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2010-02-24, 18:43   Link #6256
james0246

The technology is still decades away (hopefully closer to 10 than 20 plus), but still, a solid leap forward.

Does anyone know if anything has been said about the durability of these (Leopold) Bloom Boxes? Specifically, how often would you have to replace a panel? A box?
Old 2010-02-24, 22:35   Link #6257
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

I wonder how many of those congressmen have the slightest clue what a huge deal it is, culturally speaking, for him to travel over and personally apologize for the screw ups of certain decision-makers within Toyota.
Old 2010-02-24, 22:38   Link #6258
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I think the idea's quite nice; they're definitely expensive and are picky, but it's as Kaijo said; a step forward. Eventually more versatile methods can be created. Definitely it's something that should be invested on; all the green craze and such and all the money it generates and uses could be put to better use; namely finding alternative energy sources, instead of for campaigning regulations or legislation that takes too long to have an impact or maybe is simply inefficient.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2010-02-25, 01:41   Link #6259
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I wonder how many of those congressmen have the slightest clue what a huge deal it is, culturally speaking, for him to travel over and personally apologize for the screw ups of certain decision-makers within Toyota.
Here's an interesting article on the culture clash over the hearing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100225...ytoyotaculture
Old 2010-02-25, 10:05   Link #6260
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Here's an interesting article on the culture clash over the hearing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100225...ytoyotaculture
Yeah, it's always interesting to see the differences in culture, especially Japan, given that we like anime. At the risk of a label I might get, heh, I tend to try and emulate the Japanese way of conflict. Show respect to the opponent, apologize when needed, almost even if I really haven't done anything wrong. The idea is "humility" like the article said. This gives the other side a path to showing the same, and thus major conflict can be averted and things discussed more calmly.

Each side has their merits, though, and there are other aspects of Japanese and American culture that I don't see in as great a light, heh.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international