Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-05-17, 07:42   Link #201
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
This is an awsomeness collection.

If its true, you are from sweden, but can read the novels or are they in english(well since the titles are in jap, i think the whole bunch is jap lol)?

RESPECT!
I'm Swedish, they're in Japanese; I can read Japanese.
Old 2009-05-17, 12:24   Link #202
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
I'm Swedish, they're in Japanese; I can read Japanese.
Ah, alright.
Old 2009-05-18, 01:40   Link #203
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
I, er, only read about 40 so far. I seem to be addicted to ordering new novels when I find something that looks interesting, and now my bookshelf looks like this: http://img.muri.se/jp-books.jpg

And I have another order of 28 coming next week, probably.
Haha, I know exactly what you mean. I had to put a stop to my buying several months ago cause I didn't really have the money to spend, and my back-log was getting huge. The plan is to read through as many as I can this summer though. After I do I'll let myself get more. Although I don't want to order them anymore cause I got a couple with the covers a bit messed up. My perfectionist side demands that I replace those, haha

But for the record, my collection includes:
Shakugan no Shana vol. 1-10
Ookami to Koushinryou vol. 1-10
Full Metal Panic! vol. 1-10 main and 1-10 side story
Seikai no Monshou vol. 1-3
Seikai no Senki vol. 1-4
Seikai no Danshou vol. 1-2
Kurenai vol. 1 & 3
Toradora! vol. 1-2
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu vol. 1

For a total of...54 volumes.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 09:29   Link #204
baitokun
おまえさ…、心に太陽当ててんのか!?

hello, my first ever post in here.

have to say, you guys have so many for a collections

as for me, my only collection and also light novel I recommend now is EX! by Oda Kyoudai
I have vol 6-8 of it. any other who read it too here? if you like Kamen Rider then maybe you d like this novel too.

official site link
baitokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 21:17   Link #205
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Did you start on the 6th volume, or is that just where you started buying?
Old 2009-05-22, 02:47   Link #206
baitokun
おまえさ…、心に太陽当ててんのか!?

that is where I started buying

one of my favorite scenes
Spoiler for scene:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
Haha, I know exactly what you mean. I had to put a stop to my buying several months ago cause I didn't really have the money to spend, and my back-log was getting huge. The plan is to read through as many as I can this summer though. After I do I'll let myself get more. Although I don't want to order them anymore cause I got a couple with the covers a bit messed up. My perfectionist side demands that I replace those, haha

But for the record, my collection includes:
Shakugan no Shana vol. 1-10
Ookami to Koushinryou vol. 1-10
Full Metal Panic! vol. 1-10 main and 1-10 side story
Seikai no Monshou vol. 1-3
Seikai no Senki vol. 1-4
Seikai no Danshou vol. 1-2
Kurenai vol. 1 & 3
Toradora! vol. 1-2
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu vol. 1

For a total of...54 volumes.
I ve read almost all those, except seikai no... series, kurenai, and suzumiya
is seikai no... series any good?

Last edited by baitokun; 2009-05-22 at 05:49.
Old 2009-05-22, 12:46   Link #207
kusamaki
kusukusukusu

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitokun View Post
hello, my first ever post in here.
That makes two of us then

Here's my current collection so far, thought it's nothing compared to apr's rather FTW pyramid
Suzumiya Haruhi series - volumes 1-8
Denpa Teki na Kanojo - volume 1
Kino no Tabi - volume 1
To Aru Majutsu no Index - volumes 1-4
Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai - volumes 1-3
Kore wa Zombie desu ka? - volume 1
Futakata - volume 1
Oto x Maho - volume 1

I only have one volume of Kino no Tabi because even though I like the stories, they always make me want to sleep
Also, I've always bought novels purely for the art, but ever since Kore ga Zombie desu ka? I've learnt to check out the story first before buying. Guess my lucky streak of ending up liking these random novels finally ended.

Anyways, just wanna ask while I'm at it. Anyone here follows SH@PPLE? It's my next target series to pick up as part of my current efforts to satisfy my trap fetish

Last edited by kusamaki; 2009-05-23 at 00:25. Reason: typo for Kore wa Zombie desu ka?
kusamaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 16:18   Link #208
apr
Pedestrian

New stuff arrived, further filling my bookshelf. Aaah, the smell of paper...
Old 2009-05-22, 16:27   Link #209
baitokun
おまえさ…、心に太陽当ててんのか!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusamaki View Post
Anyways, just wanna ask while I'm at it. Anyone here follows SH@PPLE? It's my next target series to pick up as part of my current efforts to satisfy my trap fetish
Shapple... that boy wearing girl dress and enter the girl school? >_> lol I havent read it yet though, maybe won't.

Quote:
New stuff arrived, further filling my bookshelf. Aaah, the smell of paper...
lol
those are all new stuffs you bought!? wow, you sure have alot of funds there I wish I could actually go to your house and borrow some
Old 2009-05-23, 01:26   Link #210
kusamaki
kusukusukusu

Woah, just had time to read through the entire thread earlier. Might get back to reading Kino no Tabi again after reading all the positive comments about it. Also, interesting trap discussion on page 8/9 <_<;

Anyway, guess I'll just find one day to go to the bookstore and sneak myself a chapter preview of SH@PPLE then. Besides the trap thing, I find the opening color illustrations fun so I'm never gonna rest till I find out whether I'll like it or not anyways.

With regards to the original purpose of the thread, I have nothing to contribute. Everything I've read's either already recommended, or something I wouldn't recommend. For example, Kore wa Zombie desu ka? is rather boring, besides the awesome male lead. Behold his grace, the zombie/magical "girl" Ayumu lol.

Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga nai is all sorts of fun though, especially if you're into parodies and references to the otaku sub-culture. The comments on eroges in the first book, for one, had me laughing throughout. Plus every character has their charm points.
Reading the third book now, and it's still as awesome as ever. Say hi to my new favorite series!
kusamaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 23:04   Link #211
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
I ve read almost all those, except seikai no... series, kurenai, and suzumiya
is seikai no... series any good?
I really like the series (Seikai no…). I love the developing relationship between the male and female leads Jinto and Lafiel. Some people seem not to like it because it's kind of slow though. But, although I own all the novels out, I still haven't read any of them. So I can't say how the novels are, as a read. But the series is very good, IMO. It's a Sci-Fi story, although I'm really only in it for the two leads, haha.
Old 2009-05-25, 08:06   Link #212
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

@baitokun:

That picture in the spoiler tags of yours....ABSOLUTE AWESOMENESS

What's the series about?

As for me and my recommendations, I don't know if I can really recommend it as I've only read a bit of it so far but...

トラジマ! (Torajima) In the past, I thought this meant "Tiger Island" because it was all in katakana, and how was I to know? Though now, I know it to mean "Tiger Stripes." Anyway, After reading up to page..I think I'm around 60-something, chapter 2...anyway, I've found it very unique so far. It's...really unique...here's a SUMMARY up to where I'm at, which won't give the whole novel away in case you want to read it (just a bit of chapter 1)

Spoiler for Torajima! Chapter 1:

Okay, I KNOW this sounds ridiculously stupid and weird...but it goes on.

Spoiler for Chapter 1 part 2:

Anyway, that's about where I am now. This is so far a really...REALLY unique story. There definitely isn't two like it, but...it's a little weird. As for the activity mentioned in the spoiler, all I can say is, well, at least it's not happening to the girls O_o.

I'm still reading, and I'm hoping it will at least gain a little more...depth, but we'll see. If it doesn't, then I'm sorry for recommending it, lol.

Sorry for recommending such a strange book
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 08:58   Link #213
baitokun
おまえさ…、心に太陽当ててんのか!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
I really like the series (Seikai no…). I love the developing relationship between the male and female leads Jinto and Lafiel. Some people seem not to like it because it's kind of slow though. But, although I own all the novels out, I still haven't read any of them. So I can't say how the novels are, as a read. But the series is very good, IMO. It's a Sci-Fi story, although I'm really only in it for the two leads, haha.
I googled a bit, I didnt know that were anime for that serie and it is quite old too ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn16 View Post
@baitokun:

That picture in the spoiler tags of yours....ABSOLUTE AWESOMENESS

What's the series about?
it is "EX!" by Oda kyoudai official site link
here a summary
Spoiler for EX!:

Spoiler for vol 1:

Spoiler for pics:

@seaghyn16: torajima sounds interesting ^^ thanks for the summaries

Last edited by baitokun; 2009-05-25 at 13:03.
Old 2009-06-01, 16:33   Link #214
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
I googled a bit, I didnt know that were anime for that serie and it is quite old too ^^
Yeah, the anime is what led me to buying the novels. It is a pretty old series that is, supposedly, still ongoing. Us fans haven't gotten anything on the anime or novel front for several years now. Enough to make one worry, but I still hold out hope that something new will come. A good series though, if you want to check it out.
Old 2009-06-02, 01:06   Link #215
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

I've been reading this series recently entitled: "Dragon Crisis!" I think I've made a post or two about it somewhere, and I've translated a prologue over at http://orenotokei.livejournal.com/ , but I haven't really given a description.

Currently, I've only read the prologue, chapter 1, and am on Chapter 2. (sorry I'm so slow O_0) Here's a synopsis for the story:

Kisaragi Ryuuji is in his first year of high school. One day class is interrupted by a first-year University student, Nanao Eriko, who also happens to be his cousin. She takes him out of class and rushes him to a car parked outside, where she takes off quickly. On the way to a port, she tells him the situation. There is going to be a deal going down, involving an organization called "Fang," or [Dark Broker/Dark Society]. Eriko takes Ryuuji into the middle of this, and uses her ability to obtain the box, which Ryuuji helps carry back to the car. They then take off before they can be chased. When they arrive back at Eriko's large house, they notice air holes on the box, and after opening it, are surprised to find a golden-haired, blue-eyed young girl. She bites Eriko's hand, and clings tightly onto Ryuuji, who has no clue what's going on. Eriko goes to her computer to check "Society's" Database, and discovers this girl, is the "Red Dragon." The necklace she wears keeps her in a human form. She has red wings, can breath fire, and fly for a very limited amount of time. She seems to really like Ryuuji...

In this world setting, there are those who have abilities, by using the powers of ancient items known as "Lost Precious." For example, Ryuuji's parents are Treasure Hunters, who specialize in "Lost Prescious." Eriko, Ryuuji's cousin, is one example of a user. She is a 19 year old girl, who went to America to study and research Lost Precious. She came back with an artifact, and a ranking of 7 out of 10, meaning she's fairly strong. The abilities vary with the person, but Eriko's is called "Stick" and is ranked B. (there are A,B,C,D, with S being the strongest, A being second best, etc. Ryuuji's ability is ranked at S.) Her ability is to use this Staff like a Magician, to make others see illusions, which was how she was able to steal the box with Rose in it without there being too many problems.

That's the background of the story and up to Chapter 1 of Volume 1. Currently there are 8 Volumes and the series is ongoing. The organizations have a similar feel almost to Amalgam and Mithril from the Full Metal Panic Series. The interactions so far between Ryuuji and Rose have been rather nice. She just can't seem to leave him alone. When he went to the kitchen to make food for example, Rose couldn't stay behind. When Eriko tried to make Rose take a bath...if Ryuuji wasn't there, she'd claw her way out and cling to him even tighter.

Maybe I'm just sappy O_o

Anyway, so far I really like this series, though the Japanese is a little harder than "Tiger Stripes," which I wrote about in my last post, but the story is eons better. Tiger Stripes...just some story where the main characters have to lose everything except their boxers in order to fight...O_o a little strange....(even so, it had it's touching moments, and wasn't all bad ^_^)

Anyway, if you get a chance, pick up one of these novels and tell me what you think, or maybe ask for a Chapter 1 translation, and I'll see what I can do once my exams are finished ^_^

EDIT: Misc Novel Images:

Spoiler for Novel Images:
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 04:18   Link #216
PU-36PlotDevice
Angel's Egg

seaghyn16: Having no kanji to go by, at first I assumed the title Torajima was "Tiger Island", then I read your spoiler and realized what it really meant. Thanks for giving me a good laugh with that teaser. XD

Also, Doraneko, if you're still reading this thread after all this time, thanks for the information on Mimizuku to yoru no oh. I had seen these books in several Amazon recommendation lists, and now I understand enough about their signifigance to be persuaded to buy.

I stopped by here while looking for new stuff to order to fill out a bulk purchase (most of my order is finishing out my Kino no tabi collection, including the newest volume), and it looks like I managed to work out in an hour what was taking me evenings of reading various reviews and fansites of Japanese fans on a lot of titles to sort out the gold from the dross. Thanks to you all.

I only wish the first two volumes of Bungaku Shoujo weren't out of stock.

Last edited by PU-36PlotDevice; 2009-06-03 at 04:20. Reason: Because I always manage to miss a typo or two
PU-36PlotDevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 00:34   Link #217
Matt122005

Hey guys, I'm back again. lol

Wow, these novels sound awesome!

*Becomes jealous that his understanding of Japanese is still pretty limited*

I recently got Kino no Tabi volumes 1-7. Gakuen Kino volumes 1-2. And Toradora volume 1. ^_^

So I'm confused, if you guys can read Japanese, why aren't you starting a translation project for it at baka-tsuki??? I mean, I'd really love to read these stories! ^_^

-Matt
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 03:05   Link #218
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Translating things are harder than just understanding it from choosing the right words in order for the translation to not lost it's feeling(at least for me who is not a native of both language). Also, some people just don't have enough time needed to do translation.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 17:08   Link #219
Matt122005

I mean, can't people find time to translate a chapter a month, or 1-2 pages a day?

And even if the translation is rough, thats why people come in later to edit and polish it.

We really need more translations.

-Matt
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 11:31   Link #220
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by PU-36PlotDevice View Post
Also, Doraneko, if you're still reading this thread after all this time, thanks for the information on Mimizuku to yoru no oh. I had seen these books in several Amazon recommendation lists, and now I understand enough about their signifigance to be persuaded to buy.
You are welcome . Great novels like Mimizuku certainly deserve more love. I especially appreciate those hidden gems that appeal to readers by solid quality instead of eyecandy or viral marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
So I'm confused, if you guys can read Japanese, why aren't you starting a translation project for it at baka-tsuki??? I mean, I'd really love to read these stories! ^_^
Well, knowledge to the Japanese language is only the most basic requirement. A very good grasp of Japanese cultural stuff, current affairs, as well as superb English writing skills are equally necessary for one to be an acceptable translator. Even a perfect understanding of the original text cannot guarantee a perfect translation as there are countless local wordplays and terms that are difficult to transfer to English (feel free to send me a sample translation of Yuusuke Yamada's work if you want to prove otherwise ). Of course, frequent grammar corrections by editors with little knowledge on Japanese and the original text will only further widen the distortion.

As a reader, you can skip whatever you don't understand and simply enjoy what you can get out of the original text. But as a translator, there is no way for you to leave blanks for readers to fill in. Basically you are not only responsible to yourself, but also to the readers and the author too. (Readers tend to put the author rather than the amateur translator at fault if the final text turns out to be subpar, effectively killing off any future chance of official English releases.)

For me, I got enough poking on my horrendous English by the editors in my scanlation group . I may as well sit back and read another novel instead of making a half-baked work that looks like a fill-in-the-blank exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Translating things are harder than just understanding it from choosing the right words in order for the translation to not lost it's feeling(at least for me who is not a native of both language)
Same for me too. IMO the perfect JE translator would be a native English speaker with a high level of Japanese capability, given the vast differences between the Japanese and English knowledge and the creative writing capability required for one to fully express the nuances of Japanese in English.

Okay back to light novels...

Kadokawa has recently announced the results for its first Chinese light novel and novel illustration competition and published the awarded works. They are certainly light novels by any definition, given that they are published by Kadokawa (read: the light novel giant) under the light novel category. But since they are not in Japanese, I am not too sure if it is relevant to talk about them here in details. Anyway here are some relevant links and the covers of the awarded novels for anyone interested.

Wiki entry (Japanese)
Teasers (Chinese)

(Btw I just bought 罌籠葬 today. )

Last edited by Doraneko; 2009-06-13 at 12:30. Reason: Typos... :(
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels