AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-07-18, 17:39   Link #41
FireChick

Alright. That's it. I love the song. It makes me wanna watch the movie. But...being an American, I gotta wait.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 23:18   Link #42
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
OOh looking forward to it even more. Someone should inform the reviewer Gedo Senki is 2006 not 2008 >.> I saw it in theaters...4 years ago not 2.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 23:44   Link #43
durack

Howl may not have been a masterpiece like some of Miyazaki's previous works but IMHO still better than 99% of the anime out there. Loved the waltz.

Ponyo was very good. I must say that after watching it on Blu-Ray, it's so hard to watch other Ghibli movies on DVD...

Anyway, can't wait for Arietty on Blu-Ray!
durack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 00:02   Link #44
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
Howl may not have been a masterpiece like some of Miyazaki's previous works but IMHO still better than 99% of the anime out there. Loved the waltz.

Ponyo was very good. I must say that after watching it on Blu-Ray, it's so hard to watch other Ghibli movies on DVD...

Anyway, can't wait for Arietty on Blu-Ray!
Compared to Ghibli's other movies (other than Pom Poko) Howl would have to be one of the biggest disappointments for me. Quite in general because I'm a large fan of the author and love her books. I couldn't believe how much was left out and made room for his airships and war that were almost non existent. It didn't even cohere properly as a stand alone either. In no way is it 99% better than anime out there, not even close. I would say 20% at the most. The animation was amazing but story was a disaster and music was not memorable at all.
Old 2010-07-19, 23:47   Link #45
Kunagisa

So apparently this title has awesome box office figures on the first day, somewhere around 87% of Ponyo's from 2008.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 07:27   Link #46
FireChick

Quote:
Compared to Ghibli's other movies (other than Pom Poko) Howl would have to be one of the biggest disappointments for me. Quite in general because I'm a large fan of the author and love her books. I couldn't believe how much was left out and made room for his airships and war that were almost non existent. It didn't even cohere properly as a stand alone either. In no way is it 99% better than anime out there, not even close. I would say 20% at the most. The animation was amazing but story was a disaster and music was not memorable at all.
That may be kind of true, but most adaptations won't always be faithful to the source material. Heck, the author herself saw Miyazaki's movie and said it was fantastic, even though many changes were made from her original novel, but she said that's how it was going to be from the beginning and she liked it anyway. Just felt like letting you know about that.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 09:52   Link #47
ZODDGUTS

Howl was a disappointment. Hopefully this is better and by the sounds of it seeing after reading people impressions/reviews it already is.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 00:53   Link #48
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Anyone else seen it yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
That may be kind of true, but most adaptations won't always be faithful to the source material. Heck, the author herself saw Miyazaki's movie and said it was fantastic, even though many changes were made from her original novel, but she said that's how it was going to be from the beginning and she liked it anyway. Just felt like letting you know about that.
I know all about book-movie transitions, movie is usually never good enough.In this case it wasn't really even close in some parts that made sense. The overall structure was done right minus the war.

I heard that too, in a reissue of Howl it has an interview in the back about her impressions. That is true. But I just had expected a whole lot more, since they had so much to work with. It wasn't a horrible movie it was just a big disappointment to me. I just highly recommends Jone's books to anyone.
Old 2011-01-16, 11:43   Link #49
kzwix

Seen it yesterday, and loved it. I'm a big fan of Ghibli movies, and I'd say it was really comparable to classics like Laputa, Spirited Away, Mononoke, or <name the movie you like most>

Also, after Hayao Miyazaki viewed the movie, he congratuled the director. I guess we'll all agree that congratulations from the master are worth something

I'd recommend this movie to every Ghibli fan out here. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Oh, by the way, saw the French version, and some songs (like the theme song) are in French (as Cecile Corbel is a French artist), so I can't exactly tell how it would feel with the international version.
kzwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 14:03   Link #50
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I've been dying to see this movie like forever now but I haven't heard a thing about blu ray release. *cries*
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 15:07   Link #51
M.Marangio

This movie won Japan Academy's "Animation of the Year" award.

Link: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...on-of-the-year
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 15:29   Link #52
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
Expecting really good things from this movie. The trailer looked great. Hell, even one of my teachers used the poster as an example in class. Good to know it started off well and is winning awards.
waffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 15:45   Link #53
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffo View Post
Expecting really good things from this movie. The trailer looked great.... Good to know it started off well and is winning awards.
Yes indeed ... I was also impressed by the animation I saw in the trailers and what little I have read about the storyline of the movie itself (never read the book it is based on, though).

I am also very much looking forward to it!
Old 2011-02-18, 16:58   Link #54
antigone

i saw this when i was in japan (along with colorful) but i don't think it was that good as the latter. colorful was more deserving of the win, but then again the academy awards there are always with the assumption that ghibli = automatically good, a notion which i absolutely abhor.
antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 09:53   Link #55
Farplaner

Not sure why this is still in "upcoming"... but anyway, watched it the other day, and I enjoyed it very much
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 05:55   Link #56
Kunagisa

Did i enjoy the movie? Every single minute of it. In fact, the colors, the characters, the music were all tremendously salacious to carnal senses.

Was it as great as I hope it to be? Not really. Reason mostly being I watched both Nausicaa and Laputa right before this.

Having never read the original source I find the plot of this movie to be quite shallow. The deepest impact of the story came for me before the climax, which I thought was a pretty bad pacing or lack of proper depth to the story in general. In fact, the setting captured me so well that I did notice it was ending when it slammed me in the face. The 'villain' was completely hateful with no redeeming quality, which deprived me of the gray zone that I often enjoy in the other Ghibli antagonists.

The theme of the story is very apparent (how can it not when the person said it out loud near the end?), but it lacked a final push near the end to drive it home for me.
Spoiler for super spoiler for the ending:

I probably will still recommend for watch, but re-watchability is pretty low for me unless with my younger cousins.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 11:27   Link #57
Theowne
耳をすませば

My review is here.

I think this is a strong showing for a first Ghibli film by a non-Miyazaki, non-Takahata director (but not the strongest - that belongs to Whisper of the Heart, IMO). As the poster above says, it is not of the same caliber as the Ghibli classics, but I did not expect it to be. What's important is that Yonebayashi has the ability to make films which have that essential Ghibli character which I found completely absent in Tales from Earthsea. It remains to be seen whether he can create true "classics" that will be remembered for decades.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 01:52   Link #58
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A late blog review:

Among the best of the non-Miyazaki Ghibli efforts. I loved the book as a young child, and despite moving the story to Japan and filling it will cell phones and German sedans, it's a surprisingly faithful adaptation in the spiritual sense.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 16:00   Link #59
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

To be honest I found this film ridiculously boring in a lot of places. Barely anything happens and the conflict is resolved pretty damn easily. I'd give it a 6/10.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 17:42   Link #60
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I absolutely loved this film back when i seen it in cinemas three weeks ago. The pacing wasn't rushed, and worked nicely with Arrietty's beautiful development. Loved her interaction scenes with Sho.

Also, i'm probably crazy enough to say the film has my favourite Ghibli score.

Tags
ghibli