AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-30, 23:59   Link #721
ijuinkun

The first time, Asakura was aware that Yuki, as a representative of the majority conservative faction, would disapprove of an action put forth by the radical faction, so while she seemed to think that killing Kyon was an inherently good action, she did not so much expect universal agreement with her opinion.
Old 2011-12-31, 01:08   Link #722
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well the first time, Kyon was able to dodge her a little as well, thus giving her time to think something was off. This time *stab* -'happy'-.
Old 2012-01-06, 08:14   Link #723
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
And what if he doesn't? What if Mikuru comes crying to him saying, "Kyon you have to go back in time with me!" and he just tells her no? What if he keeps deciding, "eh, I can't be bothered with this right now...I'll save myself later" until the day he dies?

Obviously those things don't happen, but that's the problem with the time travel in this series. The characters have to march along mindlessly like puppets, or else it all falls apart.
Probably too late to respond on this, but if Kyon (and human overall) does not have freewill then he will always say Yes, right?
Old 2012-01-06, 11:02   Link #724
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Probably too late to respond on this, but if Kyon (and human overall) does not have freewill then he will always say Yes, right?
Well, and that's the question. Does time travel - especially the time travel presented in the Haruhi series - preclude free will?
Old 2012-01-07, 01:58   Link #725
ijuinkun

What it seems like is that knowledge of the future constrains free will but only for the one holding the knowledge. For example, since Kyon remembers meeting his future self in Disappearance, he is restricted to doing things that are consistent with doing the things that he remembered his future-self doing.

On the other hand, if he does NOT know the details, then he is free to act normally. For example, when Mikuru(Big) instructed him to toss the turtle into the river, but said nothing about leaving it there, Kyon was free to fish it back out right away.

Since knowledge about one's future seems to prevent one from acting counter to such knowledge, this would explain why Mikuru's faction operate under a policy of giving their operatives as little detail of events as possible, since doing so allows the greatest latitude for action.

This state of affairs can be likened to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum observation. Basically, as long as you do not know about how an event will turn out, it remains in a superposition of all possible states as it normally does. However, the moment that you observe the event, it becomes fixed within a state (or range of states) that is compatible with the observed data. The odd and interesting thing about this as it relates to time in the Haruhiverse is that observations seem to be personal to the observer--person A can have knowledge that fixes the event in state X, while person B can lack that knowledge and thus act as if A's observation has not happened. This is why a person with knowledge of the future can use a person without such knowledge as a proxy for action as long as the details of the latter's actions remain "don't ask don't tell" until after the fact.
Old 2012-04-10, 21:58   Link #726
lml99

This is probably a "bit" late, but since I just saw the Disappearance, I'd like to give my 2 cents about it. I sort of just got into Haruhi (guess I'm a little behind ), and at first, it didn't really hook me. It really seemed just too slow, and at times, a bit mundane. And I couldn't really just enjoy it as a slice of life either, with its sci-fi elements and such. However, this movie really brought me back. I liked how they really pushed the plot along on this one, rather than letting it lull (endless 8). The movie also got Kyon to stop being so apathetic and admitting that he actually enjoyed the SOS Brigade's company. And blushing Yuki! That was unforgettable.
Spoiler for The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya:
It's a shame that I had to have the series finally start to really grow on me during the final episodes and finish with this movie. Nevertheless, I'm happy to have this original and beautiful conclusion as my final memory of Haruhi. I'm actually a bit inclined to read the light novels after this, once I get some free time.
Old 2012-04-13, 09:00   Link #727
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

The beauty of this movie is probably that of looking mundane in the beginning and then twisting the plot and disorient you.

Btw, i really do suggest you the novels, because there will be even more interesting part of the story (especially the 10/11th novel). The snow mountain syndrome(1st part) is also awesome, but won't spoil anything. Enjoy it
Old 2012-06-08, 09:58   Link #728
HasuMasu
*Artist

I originally watched this in Japanese sometime last year, recently I was able to watch it in English.

It was sort of on a whim, but I'm glad I did it. Somehow I was able to appreciate the English version more.
Old 2012-07-04, 13:57   Link #729
Neko Arc Brunestud

Watched the movie before reading the book.
Spoiler for Sorta-spoiler favorite scenes.:
Old 2012-11-24, 07:16   Link #730
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Rewatched this today after a long time, and hot damn, it's animated beautifully. Oh, and Nagato is the cutest thing ever. Damn you KyoAni. Seriously, damn you.
Old 2012-11-24, 07:22   Link #731
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko Arc Brunestud View Post
Watched the movie before reading the book.
Spoiler for Sorta-spoiler favorite scenes.:
My favorite in the movie was Kyon introducing himself as John Smith to Haruhi.. it was breath taking seen... Seeing Haruhi having a weak knee there is so touching... Kyon you rascal...
Old 2013-01-17, 17:08   Link #732
Solafighter
Hige

Just rewatched it last night. Seeing Haruhi draging Asahina kidnaping into the club room and then standing with everyone in the SOS clubroom really gives an nostalgic feeling. I should rewatch the first season.

It has been 6 years, ever since I saw Haruhi the first time. Time passes by so fast.
Old 2013-01-17, 17:14   Link #733
-Necromancer-
Otaku

This anime is outrageous D: its out of the league of any other anime by far :P will definately be everyones favourite and inspiration in time to come im sure xD

the amount of emotions it can make you feel is amazing D:
Old 2013-06-06, 20:51   Link #734
Wolfenstein

Although there were some unescessary additions when compared to the novel, that kinda try to mess with the author's intent(thankfully, it dosen't really succeed), there were also improvements. Glad they managed to maintain Kyon's central choice completely intact: do you want a adventurous and supernatural life, or do you want a stable and peaceful one? Just like in Catherine, neither is better than the other, but everyone has a preference. The second focus point: Nagato's development, was also maintained rather faithfully.

That being said, this anime was stupidly good. The changes from a scene in a hospital ward to a roof-top was clever, to say the least.

Gawd, when Kyon took the blame for what Yuki went through -- dem feels. Really is one of the shifting points in the series, especially on that relationship, where Kyon basically realizes that his friend was suffering and he was just non-chalantly relying on her all the time. It's understandable why his affection for Yuki increases so much after all that, so much so to the point that Koizumi berrates him for it.
Old 2013-06-09, 14:12   Link #735
Pengu

Well, after watching the whole movie I'd say it was overall very good with many ups and downs under the way.
While I fully understand Kyou's reasoning and his ultimate decisions, I just fell Yuki is the biggest looser in all of this.
She has for so long just been a emotionless robot, showing little of anything with "frustrations" having been built up over time.
She wanted something different, a different reality, where she could be more "normal"
Also very telling the Kyou was the only one left unchanged.
Pretty much tells me that Yuki somehow treasures Kyou. And the way the Alt world is structured, I'd say there is a big chance for Yuki with Kyou. She has no rivals and he will come to spend time with her, as there is not many places else for him.
Sha also slowly opens up during the time in the Alt world. She waits so he could walk her home. She invites her in. She also is desperate for him to join the club as she is so very lonely. When he reject her invitation to the club you can see the strongest reaction from Yuki ever. She is more or less distraught.
Instead she is back to being a mindless robot almost with little emotion and little chance with Kyou. Just feel sad for Yuki.
Old 2013-06-09, 22:30   Link #736
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengu View Post
Well, after watching the whole movie I'd say it was overall very good with many ups and downs under the way.
While I fully understand Kyou's reasoning and his ultimate decisions, I just fell Yuki is the biggest looser in all of this.
She has for so long just been a emotionless robot, showing little of anything with "frustrations" having been built up over time.
She wanted something different, a different reality, where she could be more "normal"
Also very telling the Kyou was the only one left unchanged.
Pretty much tells me that Yuki somehow treasures Kyou. And the way the Alt world is structured, I'd say there is a big chance for Yuki with Kyou. She has no rivals and he will come to spend time with her, as there is not many places else for him.
Sha also slowly opens up during the time in the Alt world. She waits so he could walk her home. She invites her in. She also is desperate for him to join the club as she is so very lonely. When he reject her invitation to the club you can see the strongest reaction from Yuki ever. She is more or less distraught.
Instead she is back to being a mindless robot almost with little emotion and little chance with Kyou. Just feel sad for Yuki.
Did you watch the epilogue of the movie? It's pretty much the closest thing to an admission from Yuki that she has a thing for Kyon, after the events of the movie.

We must inform ourselves, though; it's not that Yuki dosen't have emotions in her reality, she just couldn't show/act upon them in her world because of certain circumstances.

However, that's the resolution of the movie and the novel of Dissapearance. Kyon realizes that his over-realiance of Yuki, couple with her circumstances, led her to an emotional crisis. It marks a turning point to both their characters, since subsequently, Kyon pretty much does everything in his power to take those burdens off of Yuki, even to the point where Haruhi and Koizumi take notice, without her having to change herself and the world into something she's not.
And that's the resolution. Kyon understands her pain, and by pretty much immunizing her from any killing or dissapearing the DITE might do to her, he pretty much just gave her the option to be emotionally free, without any consequences.

Really, she was desperate, only someone desperate does something like change yourself completely. And, by the end of the movie, she gets the affection, care and un-burdenment to ease her emotional pain when Kyon does what he does in that roof-top.

That's why her "Thank-you" is so important. So, I'm not really sad for her.
Old 2015-06-03, 22:33   Link #737
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

(I know that this thread is a bit old, but whatever!)

I just re-watched the movie a third time this year. I'm actually a pretty recent fan of this series. This series was recommended by someone on Youtube so I decided to check it out. I started with the Manga, then I watched the 2 seasons (Anime) and finally, I watched this movie. At the moment, I'm watching the new spin-off.

This movie turned Yuki into my favorite character of this series and one of my personal favorite.
Old 2015-06-08, 01:26   Link #738
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
(I know that this thread is a bit old, but whatever!)

I just re-watched the movie a third time this year. I'm actually a pretty recent fan of this series. This series was recommended by someone on Youtube so I decided to check it out. I started with the Manga, then I watched the 2 seasons (Anime) and finally, I watched this movie. At the moment, I'm watching the new spin-off.

This movie turned Yuki into my favorite character of this series and one of my personal favorite.
Read the novels. You can't really get the full picture without them. The manga and anime are very good for covering the basics―about as good as one can hope for in adaptation―but both of those media have limitations that the novels don't.
Old 2015-06-08, 01:30   Link #739
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

I can't say I found seen or found the physical novels. I would definitely buy them if I saw them in a library.
Old 2015-06-08, 02:58   Link #740
Asrial

Search RightStuf.com for "Haruhi Novel"
MY FAVORITES: Haruhi, K-On, Big O, Blue Drop, One Week Friends, Summer Wars, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi Universe, Iria: Zeiram the Animation, Green Legend Ran, E.Y.E.S. of Mars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and The Place Promised in Our Early Days.
Closed Thread

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya