AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-17, 12:22   Link #21
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
So is anyone kind enough to tell me what the "tone" of the first episode was like? Is it potentially drama-ish like Major (The only sports series I've seen, and I loved the first season) or will it be a wacky show with the occasional "emo" moment? I'm not sure if it's possible to tell from the first episode or not, but I'll ask anyway....
Jsut as the preview blurb states: emo kid pitcher gets a chance to become a real ace

If anything added to the tone it was this:

1) Blushing spectator girl watches practice. Potential future love interest for one of the characters? Potential future club manager? who knows

2) Kyonyuu female coach demonstrates exaggerated acts of of superhuman skill and strength. She is clearly comic relief + fanservice, considering her chara design.

3) game playing action
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 00:17   Link #22
ZODDGUTS

Watch most of the first episode RAW and I liked it for whatever reason I can't seem to hate the main character.

Maria my god she rocks when she:

Spoiler:

I thought the animation was good not jaw dropping but good. The "drama" is on acceptable level as long they don't over do it like Major does I'm sticking with this series.

Quote:
Saizen/Entropy are subbing it together
That's good to know now the waiting begins...

Last edited by ZODDGUTS; 2007-04-18 at 03:07.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 06:16   Link #23
masama
use the fōrks ~

watched the first 2 episodes, it's ok but not great.

I don't mind a weak protagonist but Mihashi is too much of a wuss. He definitely has a personality issue that needs to be sorted pretty quickly. I'll still watch it though since I like sport anime.

I'm not into BL stuff but I can so see Abe kun being the aggressive top and Mihashi the bottom if they ever appears in any doujin.
masama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 11:58   Link #24
JarOfMayo

Episode 2 was neat, went by too quick ;-;

Spoiler for comments:

edit... lol sorry I never checked if it came out correct.. stupid spaces in tag ;;

Last edited by JarOfMayo; 2007-04-22 at 10:02.
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 15:27   Link #25
sangofe

please make sure spoiler tags work :P
Haha, yeah, it's gonna be fun, they talk about masturbating too xD
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 16:44   Link #26
Katapan
俺様祭り

I can't really say why, but I loved episode 2. Probably thanks to all the lovable characters.

Spoiler for ep2:

Too bad the raws are so hard to find, though (I have to thank Grv for upping ep1 btw). I wasn't even able to find a Chinese sub so I had to learn how to use Share just for this... I think this is the type of things that can kill a show's popularity, but I'm still hopeful that it doesn't go too unnoticed when subs come out.

Last edited by Katapan; 2007-04-21 at 18:16.
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 17:59   Link #27
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
I can't really say why, but I loved episode 2. Probably thanks to all the lovable characters.

Spoiler for ep2:

Too bad the raws are so hard to find, though (I have to thank Grv for upping ep1 btw). I wasn't even able to find a Chinese sub so I had to learn how to use Share just for this... I think this is the type of things that can kill a show's popularity, but I'm still hopeful that it doesn't go too unnoticed when subs come out.
Great news. Usually the animation quality decreases after episode 1.
I agree with you about this going unnoticed because of the late raw releases. I hope the subs won't take that long either (no, I'm not complaining. I know they're doing it for free and I'm thankful for that). Things like this can kill a show.
This looks like a good sports anime too. I've seen some other sports anime like POT, Slam Dunk, HnI. The only one that really impressed me so far was HnI. Slam Dunk doesn't compare to it's manga counter part and POT is.... well it's POT. It's fun but that's about it.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 13:29   Link #28
Katapan
俺様祭り

Episode 2 still wasn't released, and this hasn't been picked by raw groups yet, so here I am seeding this with my bad connection even though I have the slowest upload rate ever (you know where to find this). Really, I wonder what this show is lacking to be released like all the other series out there?
Here begins the battle to try and not let this be totally unknown. :x
Old 2007-04-24, 14:34   Link #29
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Thanks a bunch Katapan. Finally a raw!
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 11:19   Link #30
Srin Tuar
無謀

Am I the only person who thought the whole hormone speach was .... creepy?
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 11:55   Link #31
Katapan
俺様祭り

Episode 3 was still a lot of fun.

Spoiler for ep03:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post

Haha, that definitely isn't a very common topic in anime. I found them hilarious (my weird tastes are definitely not a reference though), but you surely aren't the only one to think that way.
(I was wondering if I didn't misunderstand some things in ep02... guess not )
Old 2007-04-27, 19:17   Link #32
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post
Unexpected, yes. Creepy? No. Call it facts of life.

I've been checking the manga after each episode just to see whether anything significant missing. The pleasant surprise I've gotten is that the anime adaptation has given it a more complete feel - a very good example is that of the pillow fight in Episode 2 where the manga only had it for half a page while the anime let the fun and energy of youth be captured. In it's small little way, it makes the characters feel a lot more realistic which is what I see as the strong point of the show.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 19:22   Link #33
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:

Spoiler for ep03:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler for ep03:
Yup. It's the characters and how real they feel.
Old 2007-04-28, 01:58   Link #34
masama
use the fōrks ~

Quote:

Spoiler for ep03:
Spoiler:
masama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 08:02   Link #35
Seleria

The 1st episode just got subbed, which is awesome!

There hasn't been any episodic posts about it, so I decided to make one to spread the word about Oofuri. Anyway, if you guys would check like to check it out and leave comments to promote discussion then that would be great.

Ookiku Furikabutte 01 – Real Ace 「ホントのイース」

I'd have to agree with previous posts about Mihashi being a major wuss, but that part and how he overcomes it, is the driving force of the story. I think I would prefer a lead that lacks self-confidence, than one with too much, yet has nothing to show for.

I really like Momoe's character and how she "deals" with the players in team XD She was pretty awesome in ep 01.
Seleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 09:46   Link #36
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

From the constant expression on his face, I'm going to nickname the protagonist "diamond-mouth". This might turn into a good one, or it might not. I need a few more episodes to decide.

I can already see that the fanservice is going to come from the Manager, who kind of reminds me of the Teacher in "Shuffle!".
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 17:53   Link #37
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I hope they enhance the animation quality soon, and/or switch to HD. After Major, this one really looks pretty bad.

But, at least, unlike Major, the main character's varying abilities will allow him to become a pitcher like the one in H2, involving the other characters into the story more. That is a good sign.

And, I don't get why this story is introduced as a seinen story. It is purely shounen. Anyway, it looks, at least the anime-subs will move light-speed faster than Entropy's manga scans.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 19:03   Link #38
stpehen
kisses for all

Sazelyt: It's labeled a seinen story because the manga runs in Afternoon, which is a seinen magazine (recent hits include Mushishi and Genishiken, also see longer-running classics like Oh My Goddess and Blade of the Immortal, etc). I understand where you're coming from based on the content of the story itself, and Afternoon does have an uncharacteristically wide range of styles in it, but the general rule of the thumb is that you file it according to what kind of mag it runs in. Also, be careful not to assume that age of characters = age of target audience. You won't find many 12-to-14-year-old boys picking up Afternoon just to read Ookiku Furikabutte.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 19:04   Link #39
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
I hope they enhance the animation quality soon, and/or switch to HD. After Major, this one really looks pretty bad.
Animation quality? The animation quality is good. Movement is quite smooth while picture framing is done very nicely. But if you're talking about the softness of the picture quality, part of it is intentional while part of it is due to the raws. Nearly all the raws from Japan have soft pictures. There is one exception. There is a raw from a much later broadcast (like 2 weeks later) in 16:9 aspect that may be the best representation of the show with clearer picture in the character art but still soft in the background - an indication that the softness is intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
And, I don't get why this story is introduced as a seinen story. It is purely shounen. Anyway, it looks, at least the anime-subs will move light-speed faster than Entropy's manga scans.
You have to understand that how it is designated as shounen, seinen, shoujo and josei depends on which monthly/weekly anthology the series is first published in. Those anthologies target different age groups which results in those labels.

With regards to how the characters and story develops, it is more seinen with a slower story and character development compared to shounen series which generally move at a faster pace.
Old 2007-04-28, 20:07   Link #40
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
There is a raw from a much later broadcast (like 2 weeks later) in 16:9 aspect that may be the best representation of the show with clearer picture in the character art but still soft in the background - an indication that the softness is intentional.
I will check that. I have downloaded the other raws to see if the subbed version is reduced in file size, that does not seem to be the case. So, as you said, the softness seem to be staying there. Then, most probably, after a few episodes, I will get used to it.
Quote:
With regards to how the characters and story develops, it is more seinen with a slower story and character development compared to shounen series which generally move at a faster pace.
I don't know how the story develops later on, I have only downloaded the raw manga, but haven't checked it yet. It looks as a mix of H2, Major, or maybe some other types of manga (which are usually considered as Shounen). Anyway, for this series, it looks to me, it is closer to the shounen border for that seinen magazine.

I was mainly trying to say in that post, is the series could have introduced to non-Japanese audience (that are not bound by those series type = magazine type constraint), as, at least, a combination of those two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen View Post
You won't find many 12-to-14-year-old boys picking up Afternoon just to read Ookiku Furikabutte.
I guess, that is the main source of misconception. The teenagers may not buy Afternoon just for that series, but, if it were to be put in Shounen magazine, they might have loved to read it and make the series considered as maybe a really good shounen series. Still, as I said above, I don't know how the story is developed, but considering that the characters are at the first year of their school, it will mostly take place during that period (which is something similar to other popular shounen series).
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, seinen, sports