AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-03, 04:12   Link #701
azziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabado View Post
i think:
In this series the MC is already very strong and everything is about "wow! he is so strong and smart, and he can do many things we cannot!", we feel like that something is lacking: training arcs, 50% of the of a normal plot, and a big bad boss who wanna destroy the world and can make the MC bite the ground, without these elements plus the fact that we still don't know if MC has a goal makes everything unpredictable
it's precisely the fact this serie don't follow the usual patern that make it special to me;i'm fed up with the ordinary mc you yourself described.
for the same reason,the heroe of mao no yuusha,being by far the world stongest right from the start is one of my favorite mc,even above tatsuya(because he din't pretend even in his inner dialogue to be a wuss just to surprise us later):this author proved us that the feeling of a lonely heroe viewed as too strong even by the human he try to protect are more than enough to make us empathize with him,instead of reusing the archetype of the average high school student in look,grade and sport sudently gaining a mysterious power who'll attract the interest of a virgin bishoujo who transfer in his class and...
you know the rest,we've seen it countless time so you should appreciate the rare author who dare avoid such cliche,unlike most of the other who are just too lazy to even add a little bit of originality to their plot or chara to show respect to their reader-and to themself.

sorry for disgressing,i'll stop here.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:09   Link #702
sabado

I like tatsuya. characters like him almost, if never, get the main role. There always if either a rival, the second in comand antagonist or the hero's big brother. The first comparation that comes to mind it would be like Itachi as the MC in Naruto, no many authors dare to pull it out.

And for the avarege otaku is not easy (if less than imposible) to relate with him so is not surprising that many just donīt like him.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:28   Link #703
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabado View Post

And for the avarege otaku is not easy (if less than imposible) to relate with him so is not surprising that many just donīt like him.
Lol, I'm sorry- but what?

When has 'relatability' ever been anything more than an excuse? You either like who he is, or you like what he has done, or you don't. Who cares if he's the strongest or the weakest?
Old 2012-05-03, 09:45   Link #704
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by azziz View Post
it's precisely the fact this serie don't follow the usual patern that make it special to me;i'm fed up with the ordinary mc you yourself described.
for the same reason,the heroe of mao no yuusha,being by far the world stongest right from the start is one of my favorite mc,even above tatsuya(because he din't pretend even in his inner dialogue to be a wuss just to surprise us later):this author proved us that the feeling of a lonely heroe viewed as too strong even by the human he try to protect are more than enough to make us empathize with him,instead of reusing the archetype of the average high school student in look,grade and sport sudently gaining a mysterious power who'll attract the interest of a virgin bishoujo who transfer in his class and...
you know the rest,we've seen it countless time so you should appreciate the rare author who dare avoid such cliche,unlike most of the other who are just too lazy to even add a little bit of originality to their plot or chara to show respect to their reader-and to themself.

sorry for disgressing,i'll stop here.
Have to agree here, can do without the typical shounen plot thing happening here.
Every now and again it's good to read a story of a MC that is super strong from the start and stays at the top through out.
The mentioned Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is great in this regard but it's not really about the super powers and such.

I mean how many times do we see

Hero: oh I got a new mysterious super powers, I will use them for justice and love! Begone evildoers!

Evildoers: MUHAHAHAHA you are so weak, here eat my super attack!

Hero: Oh noes my mysterious super powers are so weak!

*some time later(generally alot of time later)*

"New" Hero: I'm back and I now have "new" mysterious super powers! begone with you!

Evildoer: Oh noes you be too powerful now! ARRRGGGHHH!

"New" Hero: And now we have peace.

*New Evildoer v2.0 enter stage right*

New Evildoer v2.0: MUHAHAHAHA I am a the New Evildoer v2.0 and I'm more powerful than the last guy be prepared!

"New" Hero: Oh noes be more powerful than the last Evildoer what do I do!

Do I need to see a MC struggle with every new super powerful enemy that comes along?
No I don't.
Do I need to see a "weak human" side to the MC to be able to relate to the MC?
No I don't.
It's good to let loose now and again and a series like this is exactly what I want in order to let loose.
I see too often the whole "Oh the MC is too weak, I hope he becomes super strong later!" or "Oh the MC is too powerful I hope he becomes weak or some new bad guy is stronger than him!"
For once I'd like to see a story go outside this thinking and deal with the story in a much different manner.

Think I'd prefer to see Tatsuya's struggles not over trying to be more super powerful than some bad dude but more cause he's super powerful to begin with.
How he handles the power and trying to deal with his more mental problems rather the how strong he is.
I mean he ain't perfect from what I've read, that much is obvious so if the author wants to go somewhere different with this then dealing with his emotionless state and his character rather than SUPA POWAS! is a great and better way, imo.
I really like this series alot, more so than the other really popular ones and I would to see it saved from the usual shounen stuff.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:48   Link #705
azziz

we don't need to relate to a mc to be able to enter a story and "live it" as if we were him:
-i can't identigy myself with lelouch from code geass-too handsome,smart,strong-willed and popular with girl,while no caring one bit about them(at less sexually).
-about the same can be said from the awesome keima from twgok.
-there's also rose strauss akabara from record of fallen vampire:a almost immortel vampire more ten ten time stronger than the other most powerful vampire and thus feared by human and his people alike;a perfect king with widsom and has brain akin to a supercomputer.
needless to say,women would kill to be his.

there's also arwan from tears to tiara and perhaps a few other,all my favorite mc are chara worthy to be admired,no worthless,dense one so frustrating they make me want to kill them,no matter how good the story is,or interesting the girl who are misteriously attracted to him are.
even kinji from HnA annoy me-too dense for a human being-even tough the girls(shirayuki,riko,jeanne d'arc,reki...)are among my favorite.
the mc from bokuto and zero no tsukaima are no much better...
i don't empathise with mediocrity.

edit after seeing@bonta kun post:i could no have said it better
Old 2012-05-03, 09:51   Link #706
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by azziz View Post
you know the rest,we've seen it countless time so you should appreciate the rare author who dare avoid such cliche,unlike most of the other who are just too lazy to even add a little bit of originality to their plot or chara to show respect to their reader-and to themself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I mean how many times do we see --snip--
I would love to see people put down some names to these faceless examples that they have been given... You know, just to count how time many did we see ?
Old 2012-05-03, 10:01   Link #707
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I would love to see people put down some names to these faceless examples that they have been given... You know, just to count how time many did we see ?
Sad fact is it actually happens in alot of my favorite series like One Piece and Beelzebub.
I wouldn't go as far as breaking it down to the very most basic formula(cause I'd then probably be naming pretty much every action shounen series I've read/watched) but it happens more often I would like it to.
And yes part of me hates myself for liking the same nonsense over and over again be it anime, manga, tv shows, films or video games.
How can I live with myself knowing that?
Simple, I choose to ignore that part of myself when I feel like it
Old 2012-05-03, 10:02   Link #708
sabado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol, I'm sorry- but what?

When has 'relatability' ever been anything more than an excuse? You either like who he is, or you like what he has done, or you don't. Who cares if he's the strongest or the weakest?
relatability with the MC, the magic mecanics, the fan service, the moe, the twist in the plot, the world constrution, the action, the conflicts of social inequality, the chemistry between characther, the romance, etc... what keep you reading a series is subjetive. In my case, the plot and the caracthers.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:10   Link #709
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
How can I live with myself knowing that?
Simple, I choose to ignore that part of myself when I feel like it
Nah, you ignore them because the pros still outweight the cons And you would continue to do so until the balance tips too much on to the cons... It's pretty much the same for everybody

Oh and for azziz, judging from ur list u really should stop reading Light Novels published by MF Bunko and try to venture out more lol.
Old 2012-05-03, 13:34   Link #710
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
Spoiler for Training Arc:
Well, it is better than some training arcs, where we see characters train tens of chapter only to barely defeat the enemy in the end.

For me, using your ability three times is not really training, more like experimenting with it.
Old 2012-05-03, 13:48   Link #711
EnigmaticAxiom

Quote:
Spoiler for Training Arc:
In all technicality, all of this stems from his innate understanding of magic and his ability to read the Idea. Since he understands it better than anyone else, he comes up with ideas other people wouldn't even come close to thinking of. This is also why he is so good with CAD software (he was technically tinkering with CADs before he got the ones from Sanada, I believe). It's not as if he can effortlessly go learn anything (well, maybe it is since I think he has a perfect memory, but not sure of that). He's not very good with CAD Hardware, which doesn't have all that much to do his specific talents. As for the magic, he's not unique. There are other magicians called BS (Born Specialized) magicians which can't do anything for crap except for their specific skill. I believe Haruka is one as well, though exactly what her specialty is, I don't know.
Old 2012-05-03, 14:05   Link #712
whsie

I agree with some of the voices on this thread. Part of the reason this series is so attractive is because it breaks away from the shounen norm of weak lead, train, beat baddy, new baddy shows up, lead gets defeated, train more, etc, etc.

Honestly, how many of those series have we seen? If you want to read or watch that, there's plenty out there. For me, Dragon Ball Z took this formula to its peak two decades ago (and a decade ago for North Americans).

This formula is so over-used that the occasional successful ones are only successful because of factors ASIDE from the plot progression. To a degree, High School DxD follows this old formula, but it has so many other assets including its romance, comedy, and unpredictable MC. Tengen Toppa (one of my all-time favorites), also follows this formula to a degree, but that story really shined through its character development.

It's nice that we get a strong MC from the beginning to the end.
Old 2012-05-03, 14:05   Link #713
sandhy88
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

Can anyone give me the website for chinese translate?

Wenku8 only has vol 1 and 2 and part of vol 3 and 4.
Old 2012-05-03, 14:09   Link #714
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhy88 View Post
Can anyone give me the website for chinese translate?

Wenku8 only has vol 1 and 2 and part of vol 3 and 4.
lightnovel.cn has vol 1, 2, and 4. Volume 5 is in the middle of translation. Volume 3 is 90-95% done (the translator works at a snail's pace). lightnovel.cn also complied Web 4 in a 1st Half and 2nd Half manner (done by two different translators).

Web 3 is done by three different translators on baidu so you'll have to individually piece them together. Web 5 and Web 6 are still being translated on baidu.
Old 2012-05-03, 21:15   Link #715
deathcoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
It's nice that we get a strong MC from the beginning to the end.
+1
Im sick of the cliche train, get stronger formula...

Alucard from Hellsing is the epitome of Badass from the start, followed by Rai from Noblesse...
Old 2012-05-04, 00:28   Link #716
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Someone translated web 5-2 for us on jcafe24. Tatsuya's first encounter with Lina.
Old 2012-05-04, 00:40   Link #717
maou87

Quote:
Someone translated web 5-2 for us on jcafe24. Tatsuya's first encounter with Lina.
can u giv d link pls. tnx
Old 2012-05-04, 01:08   Link #718
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Quote:
Originally Posted by maou87 View Post
can u giv d link pls. tnx
Well, it's in the forum on jcafe24.net in Novel Shoppu section but if u have to register there and post on the forum at least once to be able to see content in spoiler.

Most of the spoiler posted here are from the same users on jcafe24. whsie, Enigma are there too.
Old 2012-05-05, 05:34   Link #719
Awrya
U mad?

There is an update / second part of 5 - 2, taking place in school and the 'official' introduction.
Old 2012-05-05, 23:57   Link #720
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

I've read the first volume in chinese. It's obviously interesting, but man, the magic science and CAD usage and theories are so complicated, convoluted and annoying that I can't help but skip over them and get confused when they bring it up later on.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings