AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-11-26, 09:48   Link #1881
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Exactly. Oh, well, as long as the stories keep coming with this level of quality, I don't mind some anachronisms like that. In fact, I welcome them.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 09:51   Link #1882
Nosauz

well wait actually there quite some more, I think this is like an alternate reality where kids don't text each other and rack 200 dollars worth of overage penalties. I don't mind because the setting is a lot more slower and we get to see a lot of depth within in the characters in this type of timesetting.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 23:51   Link #1883
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Took me long enough but I finally got around to watching episode 34. And once again, this episode was another great one.

Spoiler for Just in case for episode 34:

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-11-27 at 00:34.
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 00:50   Link #1884
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I love Azuma - great character. But as any Bokura ga Ita fan will tell, you, sometimes the wingman wants to fly the plane...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 00:53   Link #1885
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Not that it is always a bad option though. Specially in Bokura ga Ita, then again that series as any shoujo series is designed from the ground up with the specific purpose of making you suffer..
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 01:05   Link #1886
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for BGI manga:

On topic... I think Azuma is as much a one-man Greek chorus as a wingman. He sort of pops in at random moments to spell out everything the lead characters are too dense to figure out on their own.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 01:17   Link #1887
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I love Azuma - great character. But as any Bokura ga Ita fan will tell, you, sometimes the wingman wants to fly the plane...

I like that analogy Even so, Kou is just an incredible male lead (close second to Tomoya from Clannad on my list ) but Azuma is such a great friend. I never thought that he would become such an important character to the main protagonists when we were first introduced to him as Kou's rival. I figured he would become a "good guy" so-to-speak, but never thought he would become such an essential character to this series.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-11-27, 02:09   Link #1888
Nosauz

Well initally when I first saw Azuma I thought he would be kou's "hideo" but instead the adachi all star rangers will now assemble and cruise to victory in the koshein... the holy ground of high school base. Just thing about as if all the best male leads of adachi's works have been assembled on to one team, and there you have it, Cross Game, addictavely AWESOME. Plus kou's got two wingmen... DUH, akaishi is also the faithful wingman so there is balance.
Old 2009-11-27, 20:39   Link #1889
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Quote:
Just think about as if all the best male leads of adachi's works have been assembled on to one team, and there you have it
Note that you can do that and even crazier baseball crossover teams in Shônen Sunday x Shônen Magazine Nettô! Dream Nine.
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 20:45   Link #1890
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I swear I saw Asuna in there.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 20:50   Link #1891
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Oh my God I couldn't bring myself to watch past the quiz. My hopes are dashed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Wait what huh Momiji has a who what?
Heh... my initial reaction was quite funny even to myself. It went something like this: "Momiji? Boyfriend?!? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! She's too young. Big Brother Instinct activated.

It's pretty funny when you realize your emotions are being manipulated successfully.

The guy seems nice enough though. (And he knows judo)

Azuma and Aoba huh... I got to admit I like the way Azuma urges Aoba to start chasing her own dream instead of Wakaba's. Not sure if that's the path to Aoba's heart though. I suspect that Kou's efforts to fulfill Wakaba's dream earns more points with Aoba.

While it may make more sense for Aoba to pursue her own dream, I think it's pretty clear she's chosen to sacrifice those things for Wakaba's. Reason has a hard time overcoming emotions like that, and in a way I think it's become Aoba's way of dealing with her grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Considering how ubiquitous the mobile handphone is today in Japan amongst teenagers, notice that there are no mobile handphones showing up at all in the show. Incredible, huh? But in Adachi's Cross Game world, it's like the mobile handphone does not exist.
I like it myself. Although there are a few cellphones. H2 even had a joke about it. Adachi is quite aware that he's leaving out cellphones.

Speaking of which I finished the H2 manga recently. Couple things: First all, I hope all those panty shots and swimsuits were not representative of Adachi's normal style. I mean, cheesecake poses on the covers is one thing, but trying to follow the play by play of a baseball game with swimsuits dominating the page... not my idea of a good time.

Second, I am completely confused as to how that ending was considered "unexpected". I got "spoiled" about that element of H2 in this thread, and spent the whole time with that in the back of my head- it actually created a bit of dramatic tension for me, since I couldn't understand how anything other then the what did happen could happen.

So I'm still betting on the Aoba x Kou outcome. Although... Adachi is very good at accurately depicting how people refuse to make things clear in romantic matters- leaving you unsure up until the very end.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 21:02   Link #1892
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I swear I saw Asuna in there.
Asuna from Negima!?, yeah that was her Conan aka Kudo Shiniichi (Detective Conan) was also there.

So was that a game where you can play with anime characters? I'm confused about that video. I know I saw Kou in there but I'm not quite sure what its about.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-11-27, 21:17   Link #1893
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Although they are longtime rivals, Shônen Sunday and Shônen Magazine just went through a huge collaboration project which lasted around one year (I think for the Americans here, this is roughly equivalent to when Marvel did crossovers with DC). Among other things, this led to a few games being produced, such as a fighting game on PSP and a role-playing game on Nintendo DS.

But the most exciting collaboration was this title. It is a baseball game which gathers casts from the numerous baseball series featured in the two magazines. So that means you get Major, Kyôjin no Hoshi, Ore wa Captain and all Adachi baseball manga series since Touch gathered in one cartridge. In order to appeal to a slightly broader audience, they also included a few other shônen heroes from their respective magazines as "special guests". Examples include Ippo, Ranma, Conan and the Negima cast.

Not only that, but since the crossover games were licensed to Konami, the game was developed by Pawapuro productions (the best baseball game studio in Japan).

The result is a great title which allows going through story modes for each series and creating your "dream nine" with your favorite characters from each manga. Want Aoba as your pitcher while Tacchan (Touch), Hideo (H2) and Akaishi (Cross Game) begin your batting order? You can! Unfortunately, each series is only represented by the main protagonist's team + a few popular characters such as love interests and rivals. You can unlock Momiji as a manager, in case you ever wanted to see that.

[edit] Also, one slightly disappointing detail for fans of this topic is that the Cross Game team is only "1st year" Seishû. Therefore, they are not as strong as the other Adachi teams, which is a shame considering that
Spoiler for potentially small spoiler for the cross game manga, about a stage of the story not yet reached in the anime:
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 21:30   Link #1894
poko-kun

yeah,that game... it's too sad to see Kou's status less than Edogawa Conan.
Old 2009-11-27, 22:04   Link #1895
Theowne
耳をすませば

Finally had the time to watch episode 34.

Love the scene at the end. Azuma is being used a lot better than what I would consider his equivalent in Touch - Harada. It just seems like the "friend" characters are a lot better incorporated into the story than Adachi's early manga.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 22:32   Link #1896
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Finally had the time to watch episode 34.

Love the scene at the end. Azuma is being used a lot better than what I would consider his equivalent in Touch - Harada. It just seems like the "friend" characters are a lot better incorporated into the story than Adachi's early manga.
"With age, comes experience and wisdom"

I believe this has to be applied to Adachi considering what he's done with this series. I'm extremely impressed with how the secondary characters such as Azuma and Akaishi are being handled. I like the fact that Azuma speaks with logic but does so because of his own experiences, which just adds to how great of a character he really is. I think I'll be sad the day this series ends but for now, I'll enjoy every minute of it

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-11-28, 20:25   Link #1897
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/contents/c...uiz/index.html
How many chocolates did Kou say he got?
Old 2009-11-28, 21:14   Link #1898
Nosauz

he got 4, technically 5 but he's the temporary owner of the fifth.
Old 2009-11-28, 21:21   Link #1899
xKeen

Heh you guys were right,this anime is good.I caught up to episode 34 easily.I like how azuma always says that Kou and Aoba are alike,and I want Aoba X Kou but suddenly,Akane appears.Episode 30~32 played around with my feelings...I can't decide which character is my favorite.Azuma is cool,momiji is cute,kou is funny,and aoba is such a ...tsundere?

Credits to Pellissier~

Last edited by xKeen; 2009-11-28 at 21:48.
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 23:43   Link #1900
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Here is the wallpaper this week if anyone is interested.
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports