AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-06-15, 22:19   Link #1
Nerroth
NePoi!

Shenmue 3

As announced at this evening's E3 PlayStation event, a Kickstarter for Shenmue 3 has just gone live... and is racking up quite an impressive total already.

Here's hoping they might add a Vita version as a later stretch goal - or perhaps even Vita and PS4 ports of the first two games.
Old 2015-06-15, 22:29   Link #2
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I played original Shenmue, wasn't a big fan.
Haven;t tried the second one, from what I heard that seems to be lot better.

While, I am not too excited for this game, I am glad that it is being made cause I do feel that the game did have lot of potential.
Old 2015-06-16, 00:02   Link #3
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

beat Shenmue on the Dreamcast back in the old days. really love the game and Ryo; he's
a cool guy...drinking his soda and stuffs.

played some Shenmue 2 on the xbox, but I didn't finish it for some reason...glad to see
that Shenmue 3 is doing Kickstarter. guess there is still hope for this game. hope the game
turns out great like always. I really like how that game makes you do part-time jobs or mini
games to make money to go by and buy things. wonder if Ryo get to meet Nozomi again or something.
she just disappear since Shenmue 1. -_-

thinking of this game...makes me listen to this song again. good old memories. ^___^
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
just for the lulz. :P
Images
Old 2015-06-16, 04:59   Link #4
Esclair

Should hit the goal before tomorrow. Think they're going to make a followup announcement soon? The kickstarter is most likely just a test to see if there's enough fans out there to allocate the budget for it.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-16, 05:13   Link #5
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
The kickstarter is most likely just a test to see if there's enough fans out there to allocate the budget for it.
If that were truly the case, the goal should've been only about 1/4 of what it is and the German, French, Spanish and Italian localizations should not be stretch goals.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-16, 05:38   Link #6
Ultragunner

It has hit the $2m goal!!!Man fans work fast
Old 2015-06-16, 05:42   Link #7
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
If that were truly the case, the goal should've been only about 1/4 of what it is and the German, French, Spanish and Italian localizations should not be stretch goals.
That doesn't make much sense considering how expensive the original Shenmue 1 and 2 were. 2M is simply peanuts for a project like that.
Old 2015-06-16, 06:04   Link #8
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That doesn't make much sense considering how expensive the original Shenmue 1 and 2 were. 2M is simply peanuts for a project like that.
The theory seems to be that Sony would probably have footed most of the bill behind the scenes, and this $2 million might be to judge fan reception.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-16, 06:16   Link #9
Ultragunner

yeah, it's probably that,

Bloodstained (Castlevania's spiritual successor) only pledged $500,000 which, I presume, is way less than the actual cost.

but I can see why the developers went for crown-funding at kickstarter

1. to show the publisher (or anyone) who had kinda expressed interest in backing the game (but not quite sure) that this game WILL sell, because the public and gamers are WILLING to fund it themselves.

2. to spark media attention, Bloodstained has become the headlines on various outlets, from website news, blogs, review sites, even Youtube

It is very likely that Sony has some involvement in this project, but not necessarily publish it themselves, that's why it's on PS4 and PC, but no word for Xbox yet
Old 2015-06-16, 06:23   Link #10
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The theory seems to be that Sony would probably have footed most of the bill behind the scenes, and this $2 million might be to judge fan reception.
That's absolutely what it is. There's no way you can make this game on a 2 million budget. They couldn't even do it back then.
Old 2015-06-16, 06:39   Link #11
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
That's absolutely what it is. There's no way you can make this game on a 2 million budget. They couldn't even do it back then.
Yeah... Shenmue's budget was like 70 million back in the day... This 2 million target is to gauge interest for sure and to prove to whoever is putting money into this project it's worth going ahead with it.

They are going to need new stretch goals soon....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-16, 07:01   Link #12
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

A lot of KS these days are for dev to show their respective investor/publisher public interest to prove that their project/games are commercially viable. I think the question here is who is investing in Shenmue, SEGA? or private investor?
Old 2015-06-16, 07:11   Link #13
Tokkan

Quote:
Look, the fact that localisations are stretch goals would indicate no publisher involvement because normally a publisher would handle the costs of those, like as in Bloodstained or Mighty No.9, the latter of which would not even have a Japanese dub if it weren't for Deep Silver stepping in.
Old 2015-06-16, 08:58   Link #14
Westlo
Lets be reality

[
https://twitter.com/DylanJobe/status...916557314?s=09
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-16, 09:03   Link #15
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I couldn't resist this.

YouTube
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-16, 09:14   Link #16
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Then whomever is publishing is stupidly stingy if they aren't paying for the German, French, Spanish and Italian subtitles themselves. Also, nothing is said about this in the FAQ. Bloodstained said outright in the pitch video that they were promised money from a publisher if funded and its even been stated (elsewhere, not in the pitch video) that 90% of the funding (assuming its KS was funded only up to its original 500k goal) was to be provided by the publisher. No such transparency here, complete lack of mutual trust between consumer and developer/publisher.
Old 2015-06-16, 10:41   Link #17
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Awww dammit, I saw the jacket in a cheaper donation and was grabbing my wallet. but it's ingame.
Old 2015-06-16, 12:02   Link #18
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Look, the fact that localisations are stretch goals would indicate no publisher involvement because normally a publisher would handle the costs of those, like as in Bloodstained or Mighty No.9, the latter of which would not even have a Japanese dub if it weren't for Deep Silver stepping in.
That implies Bloodstained and Mighty No.9 would be localized in other languages, and as far as it goes, there is no indication of that.

These stretch goals actually incite more backers exactly because the game itself isn't exactly mainstream to begin with. If the number of backers is large enough, it would mean the game could potentially appeal a broader audience than expected.
Quote:
Then whomever is publishing is stupidly stingy if they aren't paying for the German, French, Spanish and Italian subtitles themselves.
Not really, it is the "usual thing" right now, as least in Europe.

Many games are simply translated in English without any subs for other languages. Despite France is a sizable market in Europe, there are less and less games with text translated in French.

But really, it just doesn't make any sense for them to set the pledge goal at 2M. There is no way for them to make a sequel to Shenmue with so little, unless you really think they will deliver a game like that with a budget 25 times less than Shenmue 1 and 2.
Old 2015-06-16, 12:18   Link #19
Tokkan

Quote:
That implies Bloodstained and Mighty No.9 would be localized in other languages, and as far as it goes, there is no indication of that.
Bloodstained is getting Japanese and English voice acting as well as English, Japanese, German, French, Spanish and Italian subtitles.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1246193

Mighty No. 9 is getting English, Japanese and French voice acting as well as English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Russian, Polish and Brazilian Portuguese subtitles.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/04/2...date-announced
Old 2015-06-16, 12:30   Link #20
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Stand corrected. Still, we are comparing a megaman-like and castelvania-like to a huge game like Shenmue. The amount of text is hardly comparable here, so I don't see how it is unexpected to see stretch goals for localization for French and all.

So expecting localization for other languages as a baseline feature just because other kickstarters games got that treatment is dubious at best.