AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-12, 01:34   Link #2001
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The OP and ED are different between them. Aside from that, not much different.
Old 2013-04-12, 02:33   Link #2002
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I've seen a vid on another forum for the OP which is basically the same, visually, as the current OP, except that instead of Isao Sasaki alone, they've gone and gotten a whole bunch of people who are apparently celebs or something.

...sounds kinda messy, IMO. Honestly I prefer Sasaki's version better, particularly since he's got the ability to SING! and project his voice, which is something I've noted most modern singers lack.

Really, if I had that many people for the Yamato OP, I'd try and arrange a SATB composition, instead of everyone just singing the melody...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 02:56   Link #2003
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
Reviewers not doing outreach themselves is no excuse. If you want to really see something, you'll manage — I mean, how did Anime Fandom get so far in the US before the internet? (I was there, so I know.) Anyhow, I reviewed the first batch of episodes in issue #266 of "Famous Monsters of Filmland," last year (the first print article on the series outside of Japan, Google it)... while Kotaku also spotlighted and reviewed the series, here, and here. The easier it gets to obtain the series, for those who expect everything for free, then we'll start to see more talk. And probably just complaints about being so "retro."
The serie is all about being old school space opera, i am seriously curious on how many viewers the serie can attract outside of Japan.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 03:53   Link #2004
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
So is there extra content in the TV episodes? Does it matter whether I view the movies or episodes?
Besides the different OP and ED, the only changes were aware of are the name tags they've plastered on episode 1 and apparently they'll put some panties on Yuki in the first warp scene. Yeah... i do ask, WHY? YOU CAN'T SEE A DAMNED THING!!! XDDD You see more of her lady parts in some of the recent ass shots than in that scene. Wonder if they'll cut those out too... XD

Spoiler for On the subject of the onscreen name tags:

Also, they finaly revealed the cover of the Chapter V Pamphlet and it features the Beemela ruins... a wide shot of the ruins...which makes quite a reveal about them.

Spoiler for Chapter V Pamphlet cover:

You see what i see there?

Update:
I just got my copies of Dengeki Hobby and Great Mechanics DX. The most outstanding images are here.

A page devoted to the episodes of Chapter V with a few pictures that grab your attention. A tiny version of this poped up a few weeks ago but we couldn't see much detail but here it is, in all it's glory.

Spoiler:

Plans for the DWG-262 (from Dengeki Hobby) and for the Domelus III and UX-01 (from Great Mechanics DX)

Spoiler:

Last edited by macdawson; 2013-04-12 at 09:16.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 13:09   Link #2005
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It too a little bit to see what you were taking about exactly in that image. I was focued on the center spire attempting to identify it, but the conversation on Facebook suggested what it was and I had to look again and again for "how is that a thing we've seen before"? Wider. You need to look wider (the text helps hide it a bit. If you could see both sides of the picture there would be less chance and missing what that is a picture of).
Old 2013-04-12, 17:24   Link #2006
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
The serie is all about being old school space opera, i am seriously curious on how many viewers the serie can attract outside of Japan.
You only know it's "old school" if you are aware of the original series and its place in anime history. To everyone else, it's just some "new space show." As for it's appeal as a space opera outside of Japan — everyone I've introduced the show to (people who are unaware of the original or have vague knowledge of it) is head over heels for it, and most of them are under 40. I also showed the first two episodes to my nephew who is in High School and he's hooked. It's about exposure, not subject matter — if you show it to people, and it's good, they will follow —I mean, the whole of Science Fiction fandom in the US revolves around STAR WARS, STAR TREK, GALACTICA, FIREFLY, etc. — and all of them are Space Operas!

What's NOT to like!?

P.S. That reminds me, before STAR WARS came out in 1977, a lot of people were saying that the film would flop because it was just a revamping of the old Flash Gordon tropes. But, look what happened to that "old school space opera"!
Old 2013-04-12, 17:52   Link #2007
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Some people just look at the art style as "old school" and reject on sight. It is likely a shallow thing, but some people cannot handle this sort of thing, even in an updated art form.
Old 2013-04-12, 23:34   Link #2008
Beltane70

That one picture of the Garmillas makes them almost look like a fleet of Zentradi ships from Macross!
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 23:52   Link #2009
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltane70 View Post
That one picture of the Garmillas makes them almost look like a fleet of Zentradi ships from Macross!
Its the other way around. Garmillas is about a decade older than Zentraedi.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 04:10   Link #2010
calubin_175

Does anyone know the meaning behind the different colors of the Murasame and Isokaze Classes of the Earth Cosmo Fleet?

I know from the model kit manual the exact fleet composition.
calubin_175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 04:55   Link #2011
Vito
Asshole.

Probably since no one will be releasing Yamato 2199 weekly, a lot of people will simply be to dumb to catch on. As for legit review sites, too cheap/poor to buy their own copies.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 05:09   Link #2012
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As for the Earth fleet colors, I assumed they were in different squadrons or fleets. But by 2199 with the fleets destroyed all the remaining forces are clumped together.
Old 2013-04-13, 07:51   Link #2013
HybridBloodsZak

This show has always been on my PtW List thanks to a recommendation from a friend on Twitter but I always put it off. I FINALLY got the chance to watch it and I got hooked so hard I caught up on all of the currently released episodes

As has been said previously I'm shocked this is not blogged much at all. Classic Space Opera at its finest with interesting characters that I want to root for. I really like how episodes end in a very understated way with the name of the episode title appearing and then fading out out into the credits. It leaves quite an impact on me as a viewer.

Does anyone know why the production schedule is as it is? I'm assuming they just take that much time to polish the awesome production values

Also it's a lie Xebec is making this this show :P

Last edited by HybridBloodsZak; 2013-04-13 at 09:51.
HybridBloodsZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 09:31   Link #2014
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridBloodsZak View Post

Does anyone know why the production schedule is as it is? I'm assuming they just take that much time to polish the awesome production values

Also it's a lie Xebec is making this : P
I think i know why you say that but it's not a lie XD

As for the shedule, they used the same release model that proved successful with Gundam Unicorn, fortunately without the same time frame between releases.
This also allows better quality than having to produce a 26 episode series in the tighter schedule of a direct TV release, and it shows. Hence why Xebec is involved in a show that looks this good.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 10:25   Link #2015
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
You only know it's "old school" if you are aware of the original series and its place in anime history. To everyone else, it's just some "new space show." As for it's appeal as a space opera outside of Japan — everyone I've introduced the show to (people who are unaware of the original or have vague knowledge of it) is head over heels for it, and most of them are under 40. I also showed the first two episodes to my nephew who is in High School and he's hooked. It's about exposure, not subject matter — if you show it to people, and it's good, they will follow —I mean, the whole of Science Fiction fandom in the US revolves around STAR WARS, STAR TREK, GALACTICA, FIREFLY, etc. — and all of them are Space Operas!

What's NOT to like!?

P.S. That reminds me, before STAR WARS came out in 1977, a lot of people were saying that the film would flop because it was just a revamping of the old Flash Gordon tropes. But, look what happened to that "old school space opera"!
Sadly there are lot of people that will not watch a show just because it's SF/Space OP.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 12:02   Link #2016
Grey

I like the show. It took me a little while to get used to the ship design and the retro sci-fi feel. I cringed a little when I saw the Yamato even had an anchor. But heck, I've played SRT/SRW and watched Gundam. They're all silly in their own way.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 15:56   Link #2017
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Some people just look at the art style as "old school" and reject on sight. It is likely a shallow thing, but some people cannot handle this sort of thing, even in an updated art form.
I find that to be true amongst the usual fandom but I have the feeling that most of those who will end up being drawn towards this show won't be from anime-watching crowd but outside of it. I think Yamato might just manage a slightly larger appeal amongst the larger scifi watching western fandom. Like August138 said: most of the western scifi fandom revolves around old school space operas and those have been few and far between lately.
Old 2013-04-13, 16:58   Link #2018
HybridBloodsZak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I find that to be true amongst the usual fandom but I have the feeling that most of those who will end up being drawn towards this show won't be from anime-watching crowd but outside of it. I think Yamato might just manage a slightly larger appeal amongst the larger scifi watching western fandom. Like August138 said: most of the western scifi fandom revolves around old school space operas and those have been few and far between lately.
Yeah I could see this getting really popular in different parts of the world if it was licensed and had the exposure needed. People's tastes are different in each market.

I mean FLCL and Gundam Wing were really only popular in the West. They kind of came and went in Japan. It just sucks U.S home video distributors these days only license what they think will be popular based on Japan's numbers instead of what they think is cool or want to bring out themselves. If it happens to be big in Japan great but it shouldn't be the defining factor. That's the recession for you!!
Old 2013-04-14, 04:40   Link #2019
Vito
Asshole.

Really, could you please provide examples (several shows if you don't mind and with an explanation what factors contributed to its success in the west) and quotes where industry representatives said what you're stating here?

EDIT: Looks like there's a poor stitch of the TV ending. I think I'll go poke some people in case someone capped it
EDIT2: replaced it with a smaller but better stich

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Vito; 2013-04-14 at 06:39.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 06:18   Link #2020
HybridBloodsZak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
Really, could you please provide examples (several shows if you don't mind and with an explanation what factors contributed to its success in the west) and quotes where industry representatives said what you're stating here?

EDIT: Looks like there's a poor stitch of the TV ending. I think I'll go poke some people in case someone capped it

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Should've been more specific with United States. I can't speak for Europe but here at least those shows grew in popularity because of their multiple TV runs on Adult Swim and Toonami. Heck FLCL was STILL running on Adult Swim only until a few years ago when they finally decided to let it take a break. Branching off of that, the toys for Gundam Wing sold like gangbusters when the show was still relavent for Bandai. I didn't think you'd take so much offense to my statement but if you really don't believe me I won't try to convince you otherwise.

As for quotes and whatnot, I don't feel like troving the interwebs myself because of what I said above but if you're HONESTLY interested in the topic instead of flaming me you have the internet at your disposal. There are interviews with people who ran anime on TV in the States like Jason DeMarco from CN sourcing those anime' popular. Various voice actors like Crispin Freeman have cited those shows in anime documentaries I've seen etc.

Other properties that took off in the States I can think off of the top of my head are

Cowboy Bebop, Robotech, Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion(1.11 was just on TV a couple of weeks ago), and Baccano.

Edit: Here's two relatively easy to find sources http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-02-27 Rep from Bandai citing Wing and Ghost in the Shell.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...m-wing-ratings

Last edited by HybridBloodsZak; 2013-04-14 at 06:29.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato