AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-23, 03:08   Link #1
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Thriller anime

Hello, I'm searching for some thriller anime.

I saw Monster which is the best thriller anime in my opinion (and probably my best anime i ever watched in my life).
I saw a lot of thriller animes but none of them are very good. I'm searching for an adult thriller with a mature design and good plot of course (for exemple, i don't want animes like Higurashi no naku koro ni with that ridiculous loli design; i already saw it and it wasn't very good except first episodes). I like Gankutsuou too. I don't want animes like Noir, Witch Hunter Robin, Darker than black... I like detective anime too like Detective Conan but it became boring and chara design isn't good. I watched Gungrave and it was very good. AND I DON'T WANT COMIC/FAN SERVICE/ECCHI/LOLI thriller anime -_-. I hate that!

I watched Death Note but it's a shonen and not as powerful as Monster. It's not bad but I want more! I already read 20th Century Boys and Pluto of Urasawa (Monster autor) and it was incredible. But i'm searching for a thriller anime.

Well if you have some suggestions, please tell me ^^. I hope there is some anime like Monster...
Old 2008-12-23, 03:31   Link #2
jedinat

Eh... go watch Dexter. The character design is so realistic, I'm half convinced they used real people.
Old 2008-12-23, 03:38   Link #3
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I already watched it and i don't like it.
Old 2008-12-23, 05:40   Link #4
blewin

there's Detective Academy Q. I haven't seen Conan, but I really like DAQ. It gets better as the series goes.
Old 2008-12-23, 06:19   Link #5
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
I hope there is some anime like Monster...
There isn't. Or at least I haven't found one and believe me I have been searching a lot.

But if you want quality thriller try:

Perfect Blue
Paranoia Agent

For really mature, in depth series about investigations go with Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex.

Old 2008-12-23, 07:13   Link #6
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I already watched Perfect Blue movie, Paranoai Agent and Ghost In The Shell series, and there are very good adult animes and particular (for Satoshi Kon). But there is no really suspense and tension in my opinion.

Yeah Matrim, it seems there isn't anime like Monster . Too bad because I'm very bored of animes today... I need thriller!!! -_- Well I hope someone will produce an anime of 20th Century Boys or Pluto...

I haven't seen Detective Academy Q yet, i'll try it. But chara design seems very bad. But it's just impressions! (No ecchi/fan service please !)

Thanks for suggestions.
Old 2008-12-23, 07:14   Link #7
Navel

There's nothing else like Monster.

A good thriller is Perfect Blue. It benefits from Satoshi Kon's great directing skills.

Not a thriller, but a good detective story where people are people and are driven by believable reasons is Kaze No Youjinbou. The pacing is slow but just about right for the story. Kind of like the pacing in Monster fit it perfectly.

For realistic characters, but once again not a thriller, there's the Master Keaton series. And you may add Yuugo Koushoujin. These two focus on conflict negotiators. The characters are mature people, and they use realistic means to achieve their objectives. The stories in Master Keaton are very human in nature, just like those in Monster were. The character designs are also similar to those in Monster. There are no supernatural forces or other things out of this world and that don't make sense.
Old 2008-12-23, 12:47   Link #8
Shadow Kira01

Shigofumi comes to mind..
Old 2009-07-09, 18:27   Link #9
bumblebeeman

Send a message via MSN to bumblebeeman
see Violence Jack..
i like
Old 2009-07-11, 22:34   Link #10
fatalitydeath
The Evil Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albafica View Post
Hello, I'm searching for some thriller anime.

I saw Monster which is the best thriller anime in my opinion (and probably my best anime i ever watched in my life).
I saw a lot of thriller animes but none of them are very good. I'm searching for an adult thriller with a mature design and good plot of course (for exemple, i don't want animes like Higurashi no naku koro ni with that ridiculous loli design; i already saw it and it wasn't very good except first episodes). I like Gankutsuou too. I don't want animes like Noir, Witch Hunter Robin, Darker than black... I like detective anime too like Detective Conan but it became boring and chara design isn't good. I watched Gungrave and it was very good. AND I DON'T WANT COMIC/FAN SERVICE/ECCHI/LOLI thriller anime -_-. I hate that!

I watched Death Note but it's a shonen and not as powerful as Monster. It's not bad but I want more! I already read 20th Century Boys and Pluto of Urasawa (Monster autor) and it was incredible. But i'm searching for a thriller anime.

Well if you have some suggestions, please tell me ^^. I hope there is some anime like Monster...
I'm in the same situation as you right now, and I can't fill my hunger with the animes of these days... I saw Monster 2 years ago and it becomes my fav anime of all time, simply a masterpiece, I've seen all the animes you mentionned above and more and none of them can match Monster, anyway there is an anime (Monster's author) named Master Keaton it's a mature anime with a good story line (not a thriller though) I highly recommand it.
So if anyone knows some good newest (cause I've seen probably all the oldest lol) Mature thriller/police/detective animes plz reply with a name

Last edited by fatalitydeath; 2009-07-11 at 22:48.
Old 2009-07-11, 23:15   Link #11
qwertyuiopz

gankutsuou: the count of monte cristo
paranoia agent
boogiepop phantom
skull man
le portrait de petit cossette

Last edited by qwertyuiopz; 2009-07-11 at 23:53.
Old 2009-07-11, 23:25   Link #12
fatalitydeath
The Evil Revelation

I've already watched these, they are old now I think.
Thx anyway.
Old 2009-07-13, 22:46   Link #13
gonzo562

give ghost hunt a try. Its a awesome thriller anime. It kinda reminds me of the tv show xfiles

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1571/Ghost_Hunt
Old 2009-07-14, 00:43   Link #14
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Could always try Jigoku Shoujo, although it's more mystery than thriller...all seasons turn out to have an awesome plot, but the second one's very slow.
Old 2009-07-14, 03:42   Link #15
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Rigth now you should follow Canaan this summer. Two episodes in and both are just amazing.
Old 2009-07-14, 12:19   Link #16
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Eden of the East anyone? Kinda surprised Haak didn't mention it. ^^;

You should really not discount the When They Cry metaseries. It is seriously some of the most disturbing psychological mindfuckery I've ever seen, and I've seen Monster.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni is not as "cutesy" as its predecessor; most of the characters are adults, and the art is less moe-stylistic.

Maybe try Ergo Proxy as well, though I thought it was somewhat slow and boring. It has gorgeous artwork though, and the setting is very dark and certainly not "cute." The only "loli" character is a robot, and is more creepy than cute.

Edit: Mononoke as well, not the Ghibli movie, but a different series that's pretty awesome and definitely creepy.
Old 2009-07-14, 13:51   Link #17
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Eden of the East anyone? Kinda surprised Haak didn't mention it. ^^;
I haven't seen any anime thrillers except Canaan so i didn't know if Eden of the East is really a thriller. To be honest it didn't really seem that much of a thriller to me.
Old 2009-07-14, 14:35   Link #18
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
A story about politics and terrorism fits the definition of a thriller. Eden of the East is very reminiscent of the Bourne films, which are political/spy thrillers.

Canaan, I'm not too sure about. The first episode makes it hard to tell whether it's a stylish Tarantino-esque action show like Black Lagoon or a true thriller.
Old 2009-07-15, 20:00   Link #19
User91411
Disabled By Request

When I looked at the thread I thought it was something to do with Michael Jackson's Thriller video being adapted into anime. I was very disappointed.

Lol, back on-topic, the only thriller anime I know about is Monster. I'm more of an action/comedy/harem/ecchi fan anyway. Sorry.
Old 2009-07-15, 21:02   Link #20
npcomplete

maybe Sci fi Harry ?
Closed Thread