AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2009-11-26, 12:49   Link #121
Nerroth
NePoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
What will you do with a link to a Japanese cinema?
Fire up the TARDIS, silly.

(Which would have a handy translation matrix built-in, too. Gotta love that Time Lord technology...)

And thanks for the info, though I hope Klan gets more screentime in the next one.
Old 2009-11-27, 01:28   Link #122
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Fire up the TARDIS, silly.

(Which would have a handy translation matrix built-in, too. Gotta love that Time Lord technology...)

And thanks for the info, though I hope Klan gets more screentime in the next one.

I heart you for that doc who reference.

at this point I'm just hoping the movie is decent >A>;
ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 03:52   Link #123
KaoruLia

Another review of the movie

I can't believe I actually listened to the entire audio file (which was like -- 2 hours???). I must have been desperate

Edit: On an unrelated note, Happy Thanksgiving and Aidil Adha! 'Tis a time to celebrate pilgrimage, huh?

Last edited by KaoruLia; 2009-11-27 at 04:33.
KaoruLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 04:46   Link #124
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm trying to hold myself back from listening to that audio file, though i don't know how long i'll last.
Old 2009-11-27, 04:59   Link #125
KaoruLia

Well, to be fair, I didn't understand a thing they said, so....

The songs were nice to listen to though. I like Ranka's CM songs a lot -- am thinking of getting the album.
KaoruLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 03:39   Link #126
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
I'm trying to hold myself back from listening to that audio file, though i don't know how long i'll last.
I succumbed to temptation and am listening to it now. Pretty decent quality I might say.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
TwilightHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 04:40   Link #127
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
I succumbed to temptation and am listening to it now. Pretty decent quality I might say.
That's good to hear. I may give in, and listen to it later

This thread has been open for 11 days, and the title still hasn't been corrected.
Old 2009-11-28, 15:45   Link #128
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
This thread has been open for 11 days, and the title still hasn't been corrected.
Well that's the treatment us Macross Por~I mean Frontier fans get

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 20:48   Link #129
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Here's the exact quotation: Q: With the triangle love situation, you left off not making it clear who likes who but do you plan to reveal it later on?
A: I'll make it clear for the movie.

I think it is pretty clear that he meant this movie. At least to the interviewers. He clearly was dissembling and I really don't get why this is in question. Tons of PR people do it all the time.
You're quoting the translation there, so I'm not sure I'd call it an "exact quote".
Kawamori-sensei actually said "eiga no toki ni ha chanto kangaenakya yo ne"

Which is actually quite vague. I would translate it as "It's something I/we really have to think about for the movie(s)"

(Remember that Japanese doesn't differentiate between singular and plural for most things, so I'd say he's talking about both movies, since they form one story. I can't catch the next bit - sounds like he's either saying "thank you" or adding "how it will work out", but it's pretty quick so I'm assuming it's not that important.)

So it's not even clear whether there will be a clear resolution, though some people already to think otherwise based on the first movie.

Last edited by karice67; 2009-12-03 at 08:09.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 21:10   Link #130
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
You're quoting the translation there, so I'm not sure I'd call it an "exact quote".
Kawamori-sensei actually said "eiga to toki ni ha chanto kangaenakya yo ne"

Which is actually quite vague. I would translate it as "It's something I/we really have to think about for the movie(s)"

(Remember that Japanese doesn't differentiate between singular and plural for most things, so I'd say he's talking about both movies, since they form one story. I can't catch the next bit - sounds like he's either saying "thank you" or adding "how it will work out", but it's pretty quick so I'm assuming it's not that important.)

So it's not even clear whether there will be a clear resolution, though some people already to think otherwise based on the first movie.
I figured as much, even if he had said that first line, it could mean anything really.

I've read that some already think they know who is going to be chosen based on the first movie, but I still believe it's far too early to say so although it does seem pretty convincing from the spoilers I've read. Still, the second movie can do just about anything in terms of the LT so I'd rather not be too hasty and start jumping to conclusions. As far as we know, the second movie will be a continuation of the TV series or at least some new plot development.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-11-28, 21:28   Link #131
magnuskn

Quote:
Kawamori-sensei actually said "eiga to toki ni ha chanto kangaenakya yo ne"

Ah, thanks. Since nobody of our normal Japanese speaking residents had said anything, I figured that the translation was accurate. Oh, well, in this case Kawamori is exonerated. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I figured as much, even if he had said that first line, it could mean anything really.

I've read that some already think they know who is going to be chosen based on the first movie, but I still believe it's far too early to say so although it does seem pretty convincing from the spoilers I've read. Still, the second movie can do just about anything in terms of the LT so I'd rather not be too hasty and start jumping to conclusions. As far as we know, the second movie will be a continuation of the TV series or at least some new plot development.
Really? From the spoilers I've read it seems pretty much up in the air, but then again Ranka seems much improved over the TV version. I guess we'll have to see for ourselves when the first rips come out.
Old 2009-11-28, 21:58   Link #132
DeX-kun

Quote:
Really? From the spoilers I've read it seems pretty much up in the air, but then again Ranka seems much improved over the TV version. I guess we'll have to see for ourselves when the first rips come out.
It definitely still is up in the air considering there is still another 2 hours left for the completion of this unique take on the TV series.

As for Ranka's character development so far, it's amazing. I'm impressed at how they've handled her character from what I've read and it's just like I once said, her fault as a character was more in the portrayal rather than development. 2 steps forwards, one step back in the TV series but they seem to have covered that in the movie. Still, I want to actually see the damn thing

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-11-28, 23:52   Link #133
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Ah, thanks. Since nobody of our normal Japanese speaking residents had said anything, I figured that the translation was accurate. Oh, well, in this case Kawamori is exonerated. Again.
well...the more you learn the more you realise how little you know. For my part, it means I tend not to trust translations unless I have no choice, hough...I probably wouldn't have looked for the video if I hadn't left my homework at work and thus had a lot of time on my hands.

Kawamori-sensei has been in the business long enough, I'm sure, to not promise something he won't deliver.

wrt the movies, I'm inclined to take it as a retelling rather than a continuation of the series, just because of the extent they've changed the character relationships. Perhaps it's closer to what Kawamori-sensei intended in the first place (if those rumours(?), that the Sheryl's development really took previously unintended turns as the series went on, are true).
Old 2009-11-29, 05:56   Link #134
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
It definitely still is up in the air considering there is still another 2 hours left for the completion of this unique take on the TV series.

As for Ranka's character development so far, it's amazing. I'm impressed at how they've handled her character from what I've read and it's just like I once said, her fault as a character was more in the portrayal rather than development. 2 steps forwards, one step back in the TV series but they seem to have covered that in the movie. Still, I want to actually see the damn thing
Well, for me it was one step forward, three steps back, but otherwise I agree.

Quote:
well...the more you learn the more you realise how little you know. For my part, it means I tend not to trust translations unless I have no choice, hough...I probably wouldn't have looked for the video if I hadn't left my homework at work and thus had a lot of time on my hands.

Kawamori-sensei has been in the business long enough, I'm sure, to not promise something he won't deliver.
I am a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan of when the series was still running. I know all about a head writer who continually lies to the fans, believe me. Maybe I was projecting a bit Joss Whedon on Kawamori, since Kawamori is also such a talented writer.

Quote:
wrt the movies, I'm inclined to take it as a retelling rather than a continuation of the series, just because of the extent they've changed the character relationships. Perhaps it's closer to what Kawamori-sensei intended in the first place (if those rumours(?), that the Sheryl's development really took previously unintended turns as the series went on, are true).
Errr, those specific rumours fall under the "stuff Shaloom made up in his fake liner notes" area, I believe.
Old 2009-11-29, 07:25   Link #135
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

There are too many serious responses here.

Also, the thread's title is still cracking me up. Seriously.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 08:51   Link #136
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

well...this thread is supposed to be more focused on actual discussion of the movie...

Quote:
I am a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan of when the series was still running. I know all about a head writer who continually lies to the fans, believe me. Maybe I was projecting a bit Joss Whedon on Kawamori, since Kawamori is also such a talented writer.
From what little I've seen and read about Kawamori, he seems rather charismatic...though I don't know what that might mean about his integrity. Hm...about Joss Whedon, really? never knew that about him...

Quote:
Errr, those specific rumours fall under the "stuff Shaloom made up in his fake liner notes" area, I believe.
Touche...I should learn to read the FAQ, especially since I haven't been following Frontier for months...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2009-11-29 at 17:30.
Old 2009-11-29, 09:36   Link #137
magnuskn

Quote:
Touche...I should learn to read the FAQ, especially since I haven't been following Frontier for months...
Believe, being there as Shalooms house of cards came crashing down was worth. OTOH, since I was the guy who spent 4 whole days translating his stuff, before people realized it was bunk... I am still not decided if I am pissed off or embarassed at having been unwittingly part of all this drama.
Old 2009-11-29, 13:11   Link #138
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I repeat: There are too many serious responses here.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 22:40   Link #139
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
There are too many serious responses here.

Also, the thread's title is still cracking me up. Seriously.
I agree completely.

In any case, I wouldn't put it behind Kawamori to use the movies to strengthen each relationship to a point where the Triangle is entirely viable. Changing Ranka into a childhood friend = genius to the triangle. Since she's a childhood friend, she's no longer just a whiny girl who tried to insert herself in Alto's life. Mmm, I can very well picture a Polygamous marriage between the three.

We all know that AxS was canon in the TV series even though Kawa tried to play it off at the end as a standoff. I'm afraid Sheryl had too much of an upper hand by the end of the series.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
TwilightHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 00:01   Link #140
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
We all know that AxS was canon in the TV series even though Kawa tried to play it off at the end as a standoff. I'm afraid Sheryl had too much of an upper hand by the end of the series.
Sorry, I don't think so...I don't mind if you use the term "some viewers", but definitely not "We"
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote