AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-07-02, 10:21   Link #981
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by potchip View Post
As for a more balanced (and factual with anecdotes) view on characters, just go read the Japanese Wiki. I care not how you translate it. The very presence of potential spoilers and biased 'contribution' is a reflection of how rabid the English fandom/poorly regulated those pages are right now.
Um...wait, so potential spoilers is a sign of how rabid the english fandom is? Uh... -_- Wut? If you don't like it in english, don't hang out on forums where english is the dominant language. As for spoilers, it's a wiki. There are going to be spoilers. When I go look at the wiki for star wars, I'm not going to suddenly start bitching about there are spoilers darth vader is lukes father and how its a reflection of how poorly regulated the pages are right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
Spoiler:
I can't see Kodaka hooking up with Sena yet. Granted I haven't read vol 8, mostly because it hasn't been translated yet but the way the series has been written doesn't really inspire me with much hope. It seems like the author always harps on the fact that Sena is the one doing the rejecting so she never knows what it feels like to be rejected hence one possible char route for her may to be rejected by Kodaka so that she sort of grows up as a character, understands what other girls go through and don't like about her, and sorta graduates from being an outcast.

But then again, the last few volumes have been pretty heavy with the sena x kodaka teasing, and the author has been setting up the engagement since vol2 or 3, ever since he first visited Senas home.

As for Yozora...well, I don't think she wants a relationship as much as she wants THE friendship she had with Kodaka back then. She seems to keep trying to showcase her boyish side as if to remind Kodaka of when they were children and he thought she was a boy, constantly cockblocks other females because back then it was just the 2 of them and no one else, and seems to have issues with thinking of Kodaka in well..intimate terms; getting flustered super easily.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 22:04   Link #982
Flere821
Lurker

If anyone here cares, Chinese translations have started on Vol8, and they finished the first chapter (which was only 6 pages >.>). They then haven't updated for the last week or so, but if current trend continues with other LNs I read on their site the next time they update the entire thing might be done

Spoiler for Ch1:

So, comments? What does everyone here think about Kodaka's decision? Is he in the right? Why or why not?

Last edited by Flere821; 2012-07-02 at 22:25. Reason: Fixed
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 22:10   Link #983
Sumeragi
Banned

Who is Riko

Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 22:27   Link #984
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

One thing that someone need to teach him (and probably Yozora) about, just because one makes a new friend doesn't mean he/she has to forget the old friend.

But of course if by 'move forward' here means become a couple with one of the girls, yeah I thinks it'll be more complicated And after all this is Kodaka we're talking about, even though he normally able to talk sense to others when they're in chaotic situation, I have the feeling he won't be that useful if it's his own issue, most probably he's going to screw up. And then it's probably Rika's turn to step in and help him as his friend.
Old 2012-07-02, 22:47   Link #985
potchip

Not a decision per-se but his instinctive reaction. Kodaka always strikes me as a person who never asks for feedback and gets off on his own tangents. His excuse is of course he doesn't have anyone to ask for feedback, which is only partially true. There's innate sturbbornness in him such as him not recognising his obvious lack of comical talent :P despite receiving plenty of feedback on the contrary.

Agree with evil|plushie in that Yozora/Kodaka's view on friendship is skewed. Remember their only experience of friendship was when they are little - by simpicity of their minds at the time the friendship is also pure. It's as if someone experienced first love then put that into stasis without either party moving on through the course of a relationship. Yet rightly so it is not something that can simply be resumed now since their minds are no longer those of 10 years ago.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 22:58   Link #986
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Speaking of that, I can understand why the other are outcasts but seriously, WTF happened with Yozora? I can't really buy that her current social situation was because of what happened 10 years ago with Kodaka. I mean, 10 years ago she was outgoing and friendly. She even went out and helped someone stand up to bullies. That's not the action of a social recluse. I find it very hard to believe that her current personality is all cause 10 years ago she didn't meet up with Kodaka

Old 2012-07-03, 00:50   Link #987
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Speaking of that, I can understand why the other are outcasts but seriously, WTF happened with Yozora? I can't really buy that her current social situation was because of what happened 10 years ago with Kodaka. I mean, 10 years ago she was outgoing and friendly. She even went out and helped someone stand up to bullies. That's not the action of a social recluse. I find it very hard to believe that her current personality is all cause 10 years ago she didn't meet up with Kodaka
Well, at least on the obvious side, we can see that she was somewhat of a tomboy, and she didn't really "mellow out" as she got older to try to fit in with other girls her age. Part of that may have been a sort of "trauma" about never having been accepted as a girl by Kodaka (so she thought only her boyish side was likeable, though no other boys understand her). Her standoffish nature and sarcastic attitude surely rubbed people the wrong way, so she just adopted a "screw everyone else" stance. It'd probably be the same thing to this day, except that Kodaka is there to smooth things over at the club.

In a way, I'd say she'd almost have better luck at being accepted in some foreign cultures (where individuality and strength of will are often highly valued, and rebellion is seen as almost normal) than in Japanese culture (stereotypically heavy on conformity, modesty, not sticking out, etc...). Perhaps, under the surface, the show is trying to say that's one of the reasons why Kodaka, who has some foreign blood, understands her more than others (since his hair colour is one of the things that gets him ostracised).
Old 2012-07-03, 03:50   Link #988
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

So I've seen the raw for v8 (emphasize on 'seen', not 'read' ). Sena's confession is not the cliffhanger for this volume like I was thinking. It was when Kodaka asks Rika to be his friend, and then asks her to help him.

And Yusa, along with the seito kaicho whom I forget the name (), have more screen-time here. The illustration where Kodaka's helping Yusa is adorable :3
Old 2012-07-03, 03:58   Link #989
mironicus

Both Kodaka and Yozora have a trauma. While Kodaka has a trauma about separation - he could not properly say good-bye to Yozora, she herself has a trauma about being left alone.

Yozora don't want to have this feelings to be left alone again - so she put off others that are interested in her. She is indeed suffering having no friend, so she invented her air-friend and make up stories where everything turns out in her favour. While those air-friends are always under her control she just unlearned through the years how to deal with real humans who have their own feelings of course. So she really developed some kind of disabled personality and she is in unable to approach others, even Kodaka. For others it would be just easy to say "Hi! Do you remember me? I am Sora, your childhood friend from ten years ago!". She still lives in a dream world where she thinks if she just prepares a setting like in her own stories everything will turn out good for her. And just by being alone adds some other things like that she is unable to empathize and she starts to hate any other human who is luckier than her. She still refuses to get over her past childhood friendship which also hinders her to form a new relationship with Kodaka, because he don't want to live in the past.

However he still feels guilty towards her because he left her alone, so he might even reject others because he don't want to leave her alone again. This is just what Yozora wants but this will make Kodaka unlucky, I guess. However if Kodaka gets support from a new friend he might be able to separate himself from this feeling.

Last edited by mironicus; 2012-07-03 at 07:20.
mironicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 05:16   Link #990
sky black swordman

^ Thats true and I agree with you.
But no matter how you look at it did she or did she not create the trauma for herself and kodoka ?

Hey is Yozora's mom dead or Alive ? And if she is would that not connected with trauma about being left alone?
Old 2012-07-03, 05:31   Link #991
Sumeragi
Banned

One thing to consider: Why does Yozora go all the way to hide her skin?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 06:02   Link #992
mironicus

Quote:
But no matter how you look at it did she or did she not create the trauma for herself and kodoka ?
She was the unlucky one. He was standing there all the day, while she was to shy to come. This relationship was not honest from the beginning from Yozora's side. However they were kids of course.

But there is absolutely no reason for Kodaka to support her in her dream. As long as she sticks to it, she also has some control over him. Yozora wants everything under her control. Just look how she gets sexually aroused if she has full control over Sena, and how satisfied she is when she fools Maria. Like in her air friend-stories, everything should be under her control. She is so fulfilled if she does something evil! Evil by nature like a daughter of Satan! (I like this point of hers a little)

Quote:
Hey is Yozora's mom dead or Alive ?
Her parents are organizing the hell.
Story-wise they are not included.

Quote:
To hide her evil marks?

Last edited by mironicus; 2012-07-03 at 06:18.
Old 2012-07-03, 06:36   Link #993
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
He was standing there all the day, while she was to shy to come.
Part of it was Kodaka's fault too, for me. Hayato already told him they had to move 2 weeks before the moving day but Kodaka kept silent and finally told Sora he had something important to talk to a day before he moved.
Old 2012-07-03, 07:09   Link #994
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, at least on the obvious side, we can see that she was somewhat of a tomboy, and she didn't really "mellow out" as she got older to try to fit in with other girls her age. Part of that may have been a sort of "trauma" about never having been accepted as a girl by Kodaka (so she thought only her boyish side was likeable, though no other boys understand her). Her standoffish nature and sarcastic attitude surely rubbed people the wrong way, so she just adopted a "screw everyone else" stance. It'd probably be the same thing to this day, except that Kodaka is there to smooth things over at the club.

In a way, I'd say she'd almost have better luck at being accepted in some foreign cultures (where individuality and strength of will are often highly valued, and rebellion is seen as almost normal) than in Japanese culture (stereotypically heavy on conformity, modesty, not sticking out, etc...). Perhaps, under the surface, the show is trying to say that's one of the reasons why Kodaka, who has some foreign blood, understands her more than others (since his hair colour is one of the things that gets him ostracised).
Being a tomboy doesn't automatically make you an outcast though. I mean, there are plenty of popular tomboys in school. Her standoffish nature and sarcastic attitude seem to be the main cause but again, it doesn't seem like she had that sort of nature 10 years ago. So really, what changed?

And no, she wouldn't be accepted in some foreign cultures any better -_- It's not that she's individualistic or strong of will or anything. It's that she can be a very huge bitch a lot of times. Unless you're saying the two are directly related for females, which i would have to disagree.

As for Kodaka understanding her cause of foreign blood...uh, no don't think so. To be honest, I think Sena understands her the most because a lot of the girly subtext seems to be partially lost on Kodaka. Plus Sena has foreign blood too.

Old 2012-07-03, 09:15   Link #995
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
That is a disturbing trait of Yozora, but at least we have seen her naked wrists so it is not that bad.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 09:24   Link #996
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

well, there seems to be a debate on several reasons?

1) she's shy/antisocial/loner so she tries to make it so she doesn't stand out as much. However, there seems to be one problem with it since she seem to constantly covers up as much as possible whenever its brought to her attention and wouldn't dressing weirdly just make you stand out more? (see her swimsuit + tracksuit).

2)She was sexually abused. Probably the darkest explanation so far. Doesn't seem to make sense though since she's shown to still have an 'innocent' response to intimate scenes, blushing a lot etc. Plus she was fine with exposing her midriff when she thought 'hey boys dress like this', which is not the type of attitude I would expect from someone who was abused. They would usually be more careful with what they expose.

3) She wants to look/be a boy. Probably because Kodaka knew her as one.

TL;DR no one knows

Old 2012-07-03, 09:43   Link #997
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
2)She was sexually abused.
What I was suggested was attempted sexual abuse, which can leave her scarred and account for some of her quirks.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 10:13   Link #998
mironicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
What I was suggested was attempted sexual abuse, which can leave her scarred and account for some of her quirks.
She likes raping fantasies after all (relay novel). That just fits for her desire to have control over others.

Last edited by mironicus; 2012-07-03 at 10:40.
Old 2012-07-03, 13:05   Link #999
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I always felt that it was pretty obvious. Her own appearance (simply a girl) fights off the image that she builds for herself ("just Yozora"). Showing more skin & more of her figure is like admitting that she is "just a girl" and not "just Yozora" and thus she'll never do it.

It has been also implied a lot that her own concept of herself is not "boyish" but rather something that has nothing to do with gender (as in, neither male nor female, and by extension "just her" completely alone; thus her "war with the world" attitude).
Old 2012-07-03, 14:58   Link #1000
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Not quite true. She does have a particular 'look' in mind as seen in the kobato bday present chapter where she admits she takes her fashion cues from magazines that feature cute boyish fashion for girls. So she's not dressing up just for the sake of expressing herself.

Tags
comedy, friendship, harem, light novels, love decisions, school life, shounen