AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 14
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 103 45.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 58 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 19 8.48%
7 out of 10 : Good... 16 7.14%
6 out of 10 : Average... 10 4.46%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 5 2.23%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 3 1.34%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.45%
1 out of 10 : Tortuous... 8 3.57%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-09, 18:49   Link #441
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Don't bother reading.
Spoiler for Rant:

Last edited by Quadratic; 2012-10-10 at 01:23. Reason: Making the world a safer place
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 20:44   Link #442
Rakshasa

[mod edit: quoted post was removed]

It's not the seeking out of things that could need some investigation, it's that you guys don't want to settle for any of the potential explanations unless it's explicitly made canon. Even as an anime-only watcher I can come up with several that are plausible, if not knowable.

E.g. Kirito managing to move after death might very well have been Cardinal doing what it was supposed to do, balance the game, when such an unbalanced element as Heatcliff was involved. And we don't know what kind of therapy and drugs will be available for comatose people in 10 years (or 'can-microwave-vr-worlds-into-brains' years from now), so him standing up is plausible.

I think the best example is the GM console, where people keep insisting he couldn't do that... Yet I, who work for a living actually creating the future in question, e.g. virtualisation in/of datacenters and such, have no problem with it. Imagining Kirito, a guy not only heavily into programming but also pretty obsessed with vr tech, copying the state files of an AI entity he knows the name of to his gear, which he also likely knows the id of, isn't some Neo type plothole shit.

Only thing at issue was the matrix style copout by the animators.

So yes, find my view of what you guys are doing offensive if you want, but at least I can settle on plausible guesses and suspend disbelief when knowing by canon is not possible.
Old 2012-10-09, 21:06   Link #443
relentlessflame

*Administrator

First of all I want to say:

1. ALL comparisons to other shows, including Accel World, must be behind properly marked spoiler tags. You all know this because the rules have not changed for months. Please follow the rules.

2. Do not attack other people for their points of view. If someone makes such a post, do not reply to it, and just report it. Regrettably, I can't be here 24/7. It looks like I should be...

Now, on a totally unrelated note, my personal opinion (not mod-related at all):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
That's actually all fine until you realise the author intended us to have a deep and intelligent discussion on the parallels between the real world and the VR world. Yeah...right.
Regardless of how readers say how the novel "explained everything in fine detail" and "is deep and thought provoking", this show is the exact opposite.
The fact a lot of the trivial aspects required novel explanations, so the viewers doesn't suspend their belief, is proof of how much the show writers understood or cared about what this series was suppose to be about.
I'm honestly curious about what is happening behind the scenes which lead the show to what it is (eg. Internal conflicts? Writers getting high as a kite together? etc)
I think your definition of what is "trivial" is much different from my own. I think the anime as presented makes sense, and you do not need any additional novel explanations to understand it. I think there are points where the understanding is enhanced through the additional information presented... but I don't remember anything "game-changing" that was revealed that way. Certainly nothing that has any material impact on the plot as presented. So I think your insinuation about the writers is really off-base. They were assigned the task of adapting this story into 14 episodes, and incorporated as much content as possible in that time. There were details lost in the conversion from original novel to script to animation that are the result of so many people having an impact on how things turn out, but this isn't anything beyond the norm for any adaptation. To insinuate that there were "internal conflicts" or that the writers were "getting high" is just silly. The level of detail that you apparently require is likely more than they could have hoped to accomplish in the time available, and that isn't necessarily their fault or choice. Considering this is an on-going novel series (currently up to novel 10), I think it also makes sense for them to move on to what's next (so that we can have a hope of having the whole series adapted some day). And as much as some people say they wish that this arc had been allowed to go on for the entire two-cour run, I think I'll reserve judgement until I see how the show actually ends.

I'm not saying that your disappointment is wrong. But your insinuations are way too provocative and dismissive. Constructive criticism is welcome, but you're just in rant mode.
Old 2012-10-09, 22:17   Link #444
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

As abrupt as it was, I can forgive the "DEM" of people being able to do things by sheer force of will alone.

Kirito's eyes changing color was enough to imply a certain underlying mechanism which allows that.

It will still have to be explained later, but hey there's more than 10 episodes left right?
Old 2012-10-10, 00:52   Link #445
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

What a heated debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
As abrupt as it was, I can forgive the "DEM" of people being able to do things by sheer force of will alone.

Kirito's eyes changing color was enough to imply a certain underlying mechanism which allows that.

It will still have to be explained later, but hey there's more than 10 episodes left right?
I have to agree with you and relentlessflame. Let's wait for the completion of the series for final opinion on how SAO should have been adapted.
Old 2012-10-10, 02:04   Link #446
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think your definition of what is "trivial" is much different from my own. I think the anime as presented makes sense, and you do not need any additional novel explanations to understand it. I think there are points where the understanding is enhanced through the additional information presented... but I don't remember anything "game-changing" that was revealed that way. Certainly nothing that has any material impact on the plot as presented. So I think your insinuation about the writers is really off-base. They were assigned the task of adapting this story into 14 episodes, and incorporated as much content as possible in that time. There were details lost in the conversion from original novel to script to animation that are the result of so many people having an impact on how things turn out, but this isn't anything beyond the norm for any adaptation. To insinuate that there were "internal conflicts" or that the writers were "getting high" is just silly. The level of detail that you apparently require is likely more than they could have hoped to accomplish in the time available, and that isn't necessarily their fault or choice. Considering this is an on-going novel series (currently up to novel 10), I think it also makes sense for them to move on to what's next (so that we can have a hope of having the whole series adapted some day). And as much as some people say they wish that this arc had been allowed to go on for the entire two-cour run, I think I'll reserve judgement until I see how the show actually ends.

I'm not saying that your disappointment is wrong. But your insinuations are way too provocative and dismissive. Constructive criticism is welcome, but you're just in rant mode.
Further more, as an anime watcher, I've never felt the need to have any of the novel information. A lot of it can be easily assumed from subtext. Other things I don't even notice are missing.

To me, personally, none of the stuff that happened lately, including Kirito walking, is impossible. Just rather unlikely. Plus he's not running any marathons. The stuff where Asuna overcomes her paralysis AND Kirito attacking despite having died, also not impossible. We know unexpected things happen from time to time, and we know that there is an unspecified delay between a character dying, and the killswitch activating. Besides, since when is anything impossible in a video game?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 02:25   Link #447
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
We know unexpected things happen from time to time, and we know that there is an unspecified delay between a character dying, and the killswitch activating. Besides, since when is anything impossible in a video game?
Just want to also add that we have seen that the game isn't stable when Yui starts to remember stuffs, it directly affects the environment in a noticeable way.
Old 2012-10-10, 10:56   Link #448
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

I wonder why I feel things are going too fast in this episode to the state I don't feel the emotion, not the big revelation, not when the duel,or Asuna dying, or Kirito dying, or that long explanation under the sunset...
The only moments that touch my heart only when Kirito was crying and apologizing to Asuna and he wakes up in bed remembering her, then walking to search for her. And the anime isn't ending yet. 8/10
Reincarnated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 11:22   Link #449
rocket
Senior and Demented

Despite my expectations, and my general distaste of the genre, I really enjoyed SOA so far.

I actually found this last episode amazing, but when I saw it I took away something totally different than everybody else - Asuna died for realz!

I mean, why is everybody so convinced that she's alive? They didn't say that anywhere in the episode at all. Instead, we see her die, and we're all like "Asuna, nooooooooo!" Then our hope are raised when we see her in heaven, but then Kirito ends up apologizing and they end up saying good bye. It was pretty clear to me that they expected her to die if not both of them to die when the game finally finished. Why else would all the *other* players get logged out? Why else would their farewell be so tearful? If they were escaping they should be celebrating and planning how to meet/communicate quickly in the real world.

Also, in retrospect I think she *has* to die. The show began brilliantly by making us feel the impact of a virtual world with real death by the early killing of Kirito's guild and girl friend. Since then the possibility of real death has lingered over every character. That's what all the running away and honeymooning episodes were based on as well. Then before the last boss battle with all their discussions about how they'd deal with each other's deaths and why they have to risk death, dramatically is has to lead to one of their deaths.

If it ended with this, it'd be a great tragic ambiguous conclusion. Since it's not the last episode it feels like a huge cliffhanger!

Quote:
I think the best example is the GM console, where people keep insisting he couldn't do that... Yet I, who work for a living actually creating the future in question, e.g. virtualisation in/of datacenters and such, have no problem with it. Imagining Kirito, a guy not only heavily into programming but also pretty obsessed with vr tech, copying the state files of an AI entity he knows the name of to his gear, which he also likely knows the id of, isn't some Neo type plothole shit.
Oh and this also seems pretty plausible to me... more so than other critical details like how in two years nobody figures out how to de-booby trap the nervgears.
Old 2012-10-10, 17:31   Link #450
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
I mean, why is everybody so convinced that she's alive? They didn't say that anywhere in the episode at all. Instead, we see her die, and we're all like "Asuna, nooooooooo!" Then our hope are raised when we see her in heaven, but then Kirito ends up apologizing and they end up saying good bye. It was pretty clear to me that they expected her to die if not both of them to die when the game finally finished. Why else would all the *other* players get logged out? Why else would their farewell be so tearful? If they were escaping they should be celebrating and planning how to meet/communicate quickly in the real world.
I think the logic behind the theory is pretty simple: because Kirito lived. Both Asuna and Kirito were congratulated by the creator for clearing the game, which means they both won together. Of course during that whole tearful farewell they both thought they were going to die. But then, Kirito wakes up. So, if Kirito wakes up, it stands to reason that the one standing next to him -- who "disappeared" along side him -- also wakes up. There's no reason for her brain to be fried in that case if his wasn't, because she was alive with him until the end.

I think the second reason is because there are 11 episodes left. It may make poetic sense to have a character die at the very end of a story, but it'd be pretty... morbid? to have 11 more episodes to immediately follow dealing with the character grieving the loss of his first love.

But anyway, that was my logic. Your vision certainly makes a sort of narrative/poetic sense, but I'm afraid that I might find it a bit too heartbreaking to watch.
Old 2012-10-11, 00:23   Link #451
rocket
Senior and Demented

Well... yes. It would be heart breaking. But that's what I'm expecting. I mean I was heartbroken when Asuna first took the sword for Kirito.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the 'return' was the first step in a grieving Kirito turning into the kind of obsessive psycho that set up this kind of game in the first place.

Well actually now that I write that 'aloud' I guess that wouldn't be very satisfying third arc either, but... gah! I'm still on pins and needles until I see Asuna's smiling face again!

Sadly a more reasonable third arc would be about the 'return' to the real world, burdened by the grief and tragedy of loss that no one could under stand because it was all virtual. Who of their band would lose it in real life? And how would Kirito find meaning and renewed purpose in a world without Asuna. Maybe Yui would play some role in that...
Old 2012-10-11, 01:32   Link #452
eiyuu99

Like Kirito going "Asuna... A..su...na....A.......su........na......"?

For a young person, Kirito seems to know a lot about programming, especially he didn't even need time to analyze how the system works.
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 04:40   Link #453
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Not everything about how systems work has to do with programming though.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 20:34   Link #454
Keila

Images
Image (towards the end)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-12 at 20:51. Reason: Switched to images tag
Keila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 20:51   Link #455
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keila View Post
Images
Image (towards the end)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
lol - I guess it kind of looks like that at first glance, but it's just the outfit and the angle. The red outfit has a pronounced collar, but you can see the outline of her neck shown (it's just black on dark-grey so hard to see).
Old 2012-10-13, 01:55   Link #456
richardtengcy

Don't you guys find it strange that 6000 players are released from the game and yet when Kirito are awake, the hospital is eerily quiet?
richardtengcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 02:02   Link #457
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtengcy View Post
Don't you guys find it strange that 6000 players are released from the game and yet when Kirito are awake, the hospital is eerily quiet?
What's wrong with that? I've been to a hospital aisle before. It is usually that when nothing is happening yet...
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 02:23   Link #458
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtengcy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
What's wrong with that? I've been to a hospital aisle before. It is usually that when nothing is happening yet...
Well, the other thing is that it's not like all 6000 players were in the same hospital either. Plus, he was apparently the last to logout.

(But the truth is probably more that they were trying to be sort of symbolic/metaphorical about Kirito's determination.)
Old 2012-10-13, 03:54   Link #459
smurfinaus
Go go go go Freedom!!!

Send a message via MSN to smurfinaus Send a message via Yahoo to smurfinaus
Last episode was really quite dramatic. Make u want to look forward to this weeks episode...(hurry up!!) hehe
smurfinaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 05:57   Link #460
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, the other thing is that it's not like all 6000 players were in the same hospital either. Plus, he was apparently the last to logout.
And lastly, did Kayaba announce those players who logged out to the public?
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote