AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2013-05-07, 17:58   Link #1941
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Intelligent Robots Will Overtake Humans by 2100, Experts Say:

"The idea of superintelligent machines may sound like the plot of "The Terminator"
or "The Matrix," but many experts say the idea isn't far-fetched. Some even think
the singularity — the point at which artificial intelligence can match, and then
overtake, human smarts — might happen in just 16 years.

But nearly every computer scientist will have a different prediction for when and
how the singularity will happen."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/intelligent-ro...194226980.html
we already have predator drones and the internet is prime ready.

Judgement day wasn't stop just postpone
Old 2013-05-07, 18:00   Link #1942
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'm more concern in Humans will be lazy retards by 2100.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 18:22   Link #1943
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I'm more concern in Humans will be lazy retards by 2100.

that is how long Idiocracy gave humanity.

sooner if the holodecks are invented.
Old 2013-05-08, 07:44   Link #1944
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I for one welcome our new robot Overlords.
Old 2013-05-08, 08:32   Link #1945
GDB

Just don't give them EMP protection and we'll be fine. Also, keep some EMPs on standby nearby.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 10:46   Link #1946
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Just don't give them EMP protection and we'll be fine. Also, keep some EMPs on standby nearby.
Why don't we just hardwire them to human consciousness? We have more than enough test subjects in each asylum around the world.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 14:06   Link #1947
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

'Overtaking humans' is just so ambigious.
Robots are already better than humans at a lot of things. Assembling cars, cutting stuff out of metal, flying planes, well any suffiently predefined task really.

I guess if someone would put together all these specialized roles we have for robots today into one package, that would make a pretty amazing machine. But why would they?
It would cost a bunch of money with nothing to gain from it.
'The' robot is really just a theoretical construct for now. While specializing robots for certain tasks makes them better at that, we will continue to do so.

And those robots have already overtaken humans in their own narrow field.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 17:38   Link #1948
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Scientists find sunken continent off Brazil ( Video)
http://www.reuters.com/video/2013/05...Channel=117760

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Why don't we just hardwire them to human consciousness? We have more than enough test subjects in each asylum around the world.
Something like in Deus Ex Human Revolution ?
Old 2013-05-08, 17:45   Link #1949
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Scientists find sunken continent off Brazil ( Video)
http://www.reuters.com/video/2013/05...Channel=117760
Interesting, but when they say pangaea was the 'original continent,' they're way off. Pangaea formed about 300 million years ago. There were plenty of continents before it (and other supercontinents, too, from what I remember in college there may have been 3-4 supercontinents like pangaea that came before it).
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 13:23   Link #1950
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

NASA discovers that fireproof materials ignite in space

Quote:
High above the Earth, astronauts aboard the International Space Station are playing with fire — very carefully. By lighting controlled fires and watching them burn, the Expedition 35 team is learning how to prevent accidental blazes from breaking out aboard the station and other spacecraft — a nightmare scenario that could put not only lives, but the very future of human spaceflight at risk. "We can certainly make things not flammable on Earth, but in space, that changes," said Dr. Paul Ferkul, a NASA scientist whose experiment recently found that a fire-resistant fabric similar to astronaut clothing actually ignites in space.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/9/431...-space-reseach

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 21:18   Link #1951
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Interesting, but when they say pangaea was the 'original continent,' they're way off. Pangaea formed about 300 million years ago. There were plenty of continents before it (and other supercontinents, too, from what I remember in college there may have been 3-4 supercontinents like pangaea that came before it).
Pangaeas are cycles. When Earth's continents are in pangaea mode, the weather becomes hell, and like when one heats a wide surface metal plate, eventually the whole plate super heats and that's what will happen to the pangaea at the end(or is it the start?) of the cycle thanks to the Earth's hotspots. Super volcanoes erupts everywhere and the whole continent literally tore apart and begins to drift, until eventually they get together again. So when it says "the origin", it can easily mean the original continent before it splits in the current/previous cycle. Semantics, I guess.
Old 2013-05-09, 21:55   Link #1952
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Pangaeas are cycles. When Earth's continents are in pangaea mode, the weather becomes hell, and like when one heats a wide surface metal plate, eventually the whole plate super heats and that's what will happen to the pangaea at the end(or is it the start?) of the cycle thanks to the Earth's hotspots. Super volcanoes erupts everywhere and the whole continent literally tore apart and begins to drift, until eventually they get together again. So when it says "the origin", it can easily mean the original continent before it splits in the current/previous cycle. Semantics, I guess.
Pangaea specifically refers to the last supercontinent that occurred. There were other supercontinents before it, but they have different names; I remember one of them has the name Vendian supercontinent, one is Ur continent, and there were two others I can't remember the names of.

The process of heating and supervolcanism you referenced is theorized to be the cause of the Permian extinction event, which was actually the most deadly extinction event in the fossil record, and significantly worse than the end Cretaceous extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs. I think it killed something like 90% of all living species at the time. Prior to the Permian extinction event, the proto-mammal reptiles called the synapsids (sometimes called mammal-like reptiles) were the dominant tetrapods. Culturally, they're most famously known for the sailbacks (or pelycosaurs) like Dimetrodon, which are often erroneously grouped with dinosaurs, but are actually much more ancient and more closely related to mammals. The end-Permian extinction event wiped out most of the larger, dominant synapsids and gave the sauropsids the chance to get big and take over, evolving into the archosaurs and dinosaurs. Then when the Cretaceous meteor extinction hit, the dinosaurs got wiped out, giving the synapsids (now evolved into mammals) the chance to take over again. I always found that interesting; history comes in cycles.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 23:46   Link #1953
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Pangaea specifically refers to the last supercontinent that occurred. There were other supercontinents before it, but they have different names; I remember one of them has the name Vendian supercontinent, one is Ur continent, and there were two others I can't remember the names of.
Ah I see, I thought super continents in general was named Pangaea. Didn't know it was a specific reference and that they all have different names.
Old 2013-05-10, 05:06   Link #1954
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Wearable robots getting lighter, more portable
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-09-14-56-48
Old 2013-05-10, 11:38   Link #1955
HasuMasu
*Artist

Not sure how old this is.

Youtube Paid Subscription

Not sure how to feel about it, on one hand I can wave it off and say "meh, nothing to do with me" but who knows how long that'll last.
Old 2013-05-13, 15:52   Link #1956
Bri

Hidden talent or a new requirement to make astronauts more popular?
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 16:10   Link #1957
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post

Hidden talent or a new requirement to make astronauts more popular?
Commander Chris Hadfield has been making a brilliant job at communicating with the public at large during his mission. He's been taking requests from school kids for experiments to film and send back earth as well as regularly tweeting from the ISS with great photos. I already had plenty of respect for the brave men and women who serve humanity aboard the ISS but he managed to kick it up a notch. It's just a shame that his tenure up there is coming to an end.
Old 2013-05-14, 12:48   Link #1958
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

BlackBerry bringing BBM to Android and iOS this summer

Quote:
BlackBerry has just announced that its hugely popular BBM messaging service is going multi-platform: it will be released for Android and iOS as a free app this summer. BBM will support iOS hardware running iOS 6 and above; the Android version will be compatible with version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and above. "It's time to bring BBM to a greater audience," CEO Thorsten Heins said in announcing the expansion, "no matter what mobile device they carry."
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/14/43...os-this-summer

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 17:39   Link #1959
AnimeFan188

Warp Speed, Scotty? Star Trek's FTL Drive May Actually Work:

"In fact, scientists at NASA are right now working on the first practical field test
toward proving the possibility of warp drives and faster-than-light travel."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/warp-speed-sco...161638125.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 18:19   Link #1960
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Warp Speed, Scotty? Star Trek's FTL Drive May Actually Work:

"In fact, scientists at NASA are right now working on the first practical field test
toward proving the possibility of warp drives and faster-than-light travel."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/warp-speed-sco...161638125.html
last man off the planet is a rotten egg.