AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-05-19, 18:12   Link #1
blakbunnie27
Translator
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to blakbunnie27 Send a message via MSN to blakbunnie27
How much time to fansub?

I'm doing a bit of a research on fansubbing and how it affects the world w/ active money transactions. And I thought I'd start by figuring out how much time each person spends in doing his/her job w/ fansubbing.

I translate and...
I spend about 2-3 hours TL an episode if the anime isn't comedy or philosphical crap based.
Otherwise, takes about 4-5 hours depending on the amount of hard-to-tl crap in there.

How much time do you spend doing your job? (time, qc, edit, kara, etc)
Old 2008-05-19, 18:23   Link #2
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakbunnie27 View Post
I'm doing a bit of a research on fansubbing and how it affects the world w/ active money transactions. And I thought I'd start by figuring out how much time each person spends in doing his/her job w/ fansubbing.

I translate and...
I spend about 2-3 hours TL an episode if the anime isn't comedy or philosphical crap based.
Otherwise, takes about 4-5 hours depending on the amount of hard-to-tl crap in there.

How much time do you spend doing your job? (time, qc, edit, kara, etc)

Depends entirely on the quality I'm aiming for and how hard a script is. Editing generally takes me a fairly long time - and I can turn in a script anywhere between 2 hours and 6 hours, not counting the frequent going away from a script to mull over a few lines and coming back to them.

Timing is much more measurable. Anywhere between an hour and three hours, depending on script length and how willing to time I'm feeling.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 19:05   Link #3
Bot1
The Supreme Pontiff

TSing takes me anywhere from 10 mins to 4 hours depending on weather its something like xxxholic or pani poni dash

AKA Malakith
Bot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 19:36   Link #4
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku
Timing: 2-6 hours, depending on how anal I'm being and how many lines there are.

TSing: Normally around half an hour per ep, but can take a couple hours if there are a bundle of signs

QCing: About time & a half.
Old 2008-05-19, 20:16   Link #5
dj_tjerk
Ana-chan~

30 hours on typesetting an ep?
dj_tjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 20:47   Link #6
Access

Can you describe what you mean by "active money transactions"?
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 22:27   Link #7
Kristen
*Author

Timing takes me 25 minutes if I'm just doing a rough general job. If I want precise and scene timing, it takes me an hour. If it has a lot of sign timing, maybe longer. Like, this week's TLR took me like 1.5, thanks to all those signs.
Old 2008-05-19, 22:34   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It takes me a good hour and a half to edit an episode — sometimes more. Then I always have to communicate with the translator for clairification on some points. After he gets back to me with answers to all my questions I do a second pass which takes another 40 minutes to an hour.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 23:47   Link #9
blakbunnie27
Translator
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to blakbunnie27 Send a message via MSN to blakbunnie27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Can you describe what you mean by "active money transactions"?
I was just talking about the world where nothing's free, basically the real world where you have to buy anime.
Old 2008-05-20, 00:37   Link #10
_Anakyn_
poopoo

Oh please typeset Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, where you can find an episode with 300 signs, like Leonidas and his spartans.

I think TS everything is insane, so take TL (2-5 hours), TLC (1-2 hours), editing (2-3 hours), timing (1-3 hours), normal TS, not insane TS (1-3 hours), karaoke (this can vary sooo much, especially if the karaoker is not the same guy/dude/young lady who encodes, but I've encoded 150-200 MB RGBA avis which took me 4 hours to encode, and then upload them, so it's quite a lot; that's why, DON'T KARAOKE, it's useless and people hate it ohh so badly xD) and finally encode (1-4 hours? I don't know this one).

The total is, considering a normal karaoke of 3 hours to do it, render it and upload it, 11-12 hours more or less minimum and a whole day, 24 hours. This happens in groups like Dattebayo, Eclipse, Shinsen, with some speed and organization. Reality says a very different thing.
_Anakyn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 07:16   Link #11
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

After I get the translation:

25 minutes to time
25 minutes for the timing bar(I'm old school, and use JACOsub)
1.5 to 3 hours to edit times, split up lines, edit grammar to the best my ability
20 minutes to 1 hour min to transfer to PC and set up episode in Aegisub, which includes pre-type setting and any special effects necessary
25 minutes First edit pass + 10-30 or so minutes to fix problems
25 minutes Final edit pass + maybe 10-30 minutes or so to fix nit-noids
After that, set up for encode and encode.

Basically, everyone has their own way of doing things in fansubbing.

Heibi
Central Anime
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 07:42   Link #12
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

25 minutes to do an editing pass? Do you just watch and not change things then? I know everyone's aiming for speed, but that's a little over-the-top.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 09:52   Link #13
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Timing: 30-40 minutes including scenetiming (use the postprocessor you scrubs).
TS: I don't want to think about it
Encoding: depends. Anywhere between 5 minutes user time, maybe 30 minutes computer time for a no-filtering SD resolution speedsub encode, to dozens of hours usertime in YATTA fixing shit and 12+ hours computer time to encode it. Probably around 20-30 minutes usertime + 2-4 hours computer time for an average episode, a bit more usertime if the raw is a transport stream.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 10:21   Link #14
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
25 minutes to do an editing pass? Do you just watch and not change things then? I know everyone's aiming for speed, but that's a little over-the-top.
The editing pass I speak of is a watching pass. We write down what we see and go fix the errors. And if you know about us(Central Anime), we are NOT about speed. My editor fixes the bad stuff before I time it. She puts it in a format I can use to time. Then I further edit it while I'm fixing the timing and spliting lines up.
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 12:13   Link #15
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Timing: 30-40 minutes including scenetiming (use the postprocessor you scrubs).
TS: I don't want to think about it
Encoding: depends. Anywhere between 5 minutes user time, maybe 30 minutes computer time for a no-filtering SD resolution speedsub encode, to dozens of hours usertime in YATTA fixing shit and 12+ hours computer time to encode it. Probably around 20-30 minutes usertime + 2-4 hours computer time for an average episode, a bit more usertime if the raw is a transport stream.
Do you check what TPP did, or just let it be after you apply it? Because it always make 10-20 errors an episode for me, so I have to scroll through the episode to see what it did wrong.
Old 2008-05-20, 12:18   Link #16
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Do you check what TPP did, or just let it be after you apply it? Because it always make 10-20 errors an episode for me, so I have to scroll through the episode to see what it did wrong.
You can leave it to the QCer. I'm of an opinion that that should be the timer's responsibility though. There are always some errors, so...
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 12:26   Link #17
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
If you're getting that many "errors" with it you've either a) configured it wrong, or b) not properly accounted for its effects when rough timing.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 14:00   Link #18
Arm
*Fansubber

Quote:
Even with 10-20 errors, it should only take 24mins(of watching the episode) + 5mins for fixing the lines.

I usually time in 2 hours, including using the TPP. 95% of that is spent rough timing, so once I gain more experience, it should significantly drop.

Usually takes me about 2 hours to do a sQC and an hour to do an RCQC, but it'll depend on the editor.
Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 14:22   Link #19
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
The editing pass I speak of is a watching pass. We write down what we see and go fix the errors. And if you know about us(Central Anime), we are NOT about speed. My editor fixes the bad stuff before I time it. She puts it in a format I can use to time. Then I further edit it while I'm fixing the timing and spliting lines up.
I see. Maybe things are different with the way your group relates, but that doesn't work for me. I'm an editor and it always drives me crazy when my timer or typsetter "help" edit the script. It isn't always about fixing errors. It is also that when I'm editing, I don't like my style to be messed with. Otherwise I'm not editing, I'm just proofreading. I feel that if someone else wants to edit something, they should just put it in a QC report and let me decide if I agree with them.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 14:26   Link #20
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm View Post
Even with 10-20 errors, it should only take 24mins(of watching the episode) + 5mins for fixing the lines.

I usually time in 2 hours, including using the TPP. 95% of that is spent rough timing, so once I gain more experience, it should significantly drop.

Usually takes me about 2 hours to do a sQC and an hour to do an RCQC, but it'll depend on the editor.
Yeah, it makes sense. I mean, my TPP checking usually takes me like 15 minutes, since I kind of cheat. XD. It's not that it takes long to do. It's just that if you rough time in real time (25 minutes an episode), you'd need to spend 50 overall if you do a full check of TPP.
I mean, if I'm using TPP wrong, I'm not surprised. 140 in, 500 out, 510 line link preference end (For some reason, 510 instead of 500 fixes like 40 bleeds. It doesn't make sense to me...), and 4-5-12-13 snapping. Unfortunately, I think getting the exact configuration you need is impossible, unless you are the one who created it, or if you spend hours trying to figure it out, going over the same episode.
Maybe I'll learn how to program my own TPP. XD

Tags
fansubbing, time